North East Buses
Arriva North East: Order Predictions - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Arriva North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Arriva North East: Order Predictions (/showthread.php?tid=2038)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Arriva North East: Order Predictions - omnicity4659 - 07 Nov 2017

(06 Nov 2017, 10:04 pm)Ambassador The Streetlite is the Ford Fiesta of buses really. Plentiful, affordable, poor ride, little bit rattly but extremely cheap to run and even cheaper to repair.

The Wright badges on the front cost £40-£80 per piece, would hate to know how much other parts cost  Big Grin

RE: Arriva North East: Order Predictions - James101 - 07 Nov 2017

(06 Nov 2017, 10:04 pm)Ambassador The Streetlite is the Ford Fiesta of buses really. Plentiful, affordable, poor ride, little bit rattly but extremely cheap to run and even cheaper to repair.

Is that not the same as the Dennis Dart pre Transbus, Enviro etc?

RE: Arriva North East: Order Predictions - Andreos1 - 08 Nov 2017

(07 Nov 2017, 11:53 am)James101 Is that not the same as the Dennis Dart pre Transbus, Enviro etc?

The Dart fell in to the midi-bus category and was never meant to last as long as these full sized Streetlite Max's.

Suppose that goes back to what I was saying the other day.
If a Streetlite is supposed to have a lifespan of a midi-bus, how can its slightly longer cousin which is built with the same components (complete with the same rattles, shakes and squeaks), last a few years longer?

RE: Arriva North East: Order Predictions - S830OFT - 08 Nov 2017

Would Jesmond opt for Temsas?
I believe routes like the 51 would benefit from the extra capacity over Solos!

Arriva North East: Order Predictions - DanielS15 - 08 Nov 2017

Exactly my thoughts, just because the max variants of the streetlite is any longer doesn't new that it is any more heavy duty than the rest of them. 1591 is currently off road waiting for a new exhaust system with 1416 taking it's place on the X1.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

RE: Arriva North East: Order Predictions - omnicity4659 - 08 Nov 2017

Doubt Jesmond would take any Temsas, keep them at Redcar for standardisation.

RE: Arriva North East: Order Predictions - tyresmoke - 08 Nov 2017

(08 Nov 2017, 5:07 pm)omnicity4659 Doubt Jesmond would take any Temsas, keep them at Redcar for standardisation.

Or rather other depots refused to take them!

Arriva North East: Order Predictions - JamesDunkley - 08 Nov 2017

YJ58CBO/2849 Is on 'MAX' X26.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

RE: Arriva North East: Order Predictions - James101 - 09 Nov 2017

(08 Nov 2017, 3:34 pm)Andreos1 The Dart fell in to the midi-bus category and was never meant to last as long as these full sized Streetlite Max's.

Suppose that goes back to what I was saying the other day.
If a Streetlite is supposed to have a lifespan of a midi-bus, how can its slightly longer cousin which is built with the same components (complete with the same rattles, shakes and squeaks), last a few years longer?

I thought an SPD was up to 43 seated, and Streetlite Max 45 - surely both ‘full size’? Yet the built quality etc of an SPD wasn’t all too different to a SLF or MPD?

RE: Arriva North East: Order Predictions - Andreos1 - 09 Nov 2017

(09 Nov 2017, 12:54 am)James101 I thought an SPD was up to 43 seated, and Streetlite Max 45 - surely both ‘full size’? Yet the built quality etc of an SPD wasn’t all too different to a SLF or MPD?

Yeah, the SPD was full-sized.

Got this from wiki:
'In 1997, the Dart SPD (Super Pointer Dart) was launched with the length of 11.3m (about the same length as a long Leyland National). It has a more powerful engine and a more heavy duty Allison World Series B300R gearbox, but also with an option of a Voith gearbox. Originally offered only with Plaxton Pointer 2 bodywork (hence the 'P' in the name) this larger bus was later offered with other bodywork such as East Lancs, the Alexander ALX200 and a few have also been bodied by Marshall.'

As you say, the build quality wasn't too different.
The Plaxton SPD's were prone to sagging at the rear.

I don't know much about any other operators examples, but take S363 ONL (a GNE SPD 8163). Registered in 1999, with a 5.9l engine, it should have lasted 15 years. Maybe head in to the driver training fleet afterwards alongside some of its similar sized sisters (just like a handful of National's did years prior).

The majority of that batch and others like it, ended up scrapped. A few were traded on.
Not many gave the 15 years service a full sized single decker is designed for. Unlike the R Reg Renowns, which came before and were still hanging around after.

If we compare the V reg SPD intake to GNE's similar sized/capacity/aged Solar's, again there is only one winner in terms of life-span and durability.

edit:
Ironically 8163 is/was on the rally scene!

RE: Arriva North East: Order Predictions - XUP254F - 09 Nov 2017

Quote:The Arriva output from Peterlee wasn't all super-powered Deltas, Scanias and Olympians. They had some Metrobuses and ex-london Leyland Olympians which could have rolled back down Crimdon Dene given half a chance.

I certainly agree with this as the slowest / most clapped out bus I have ever been on in service was Peterlee's 7263 (TPD116X) back in Dec 2004.

RE: Arriva North East: Order Predictions - James101 - 10 Nov 2017

(09 Nov 2017, 8:06 am)Andreos1 The majority of that batch and others like it, ended up scrapped. A few were traded on.
Not many gave the 15 years service a full sized single decker is designed for. Unlike the R Reg Renowns, which came before and were still hanging around after.

If we compare the V reg SPD intake to GNE's similar sized/capacity/aged Solar's, again there is only one winner in terms of life-span and durability.

edit:
Ironically 8163 is/was on the rally scene!

Oh I’m not trying to suggest the SPD was anywhere near as robust as a Solar, for example. Just back to the original point RE Streetlite Max, I was suggesting the idea of taking a successful midi-bus and simply making it a bit bigger isn’t new. 

And secondly if we draw a comparison between the SPD and SL Max, I still think the Streetlite is a better product as new than the SPD. I have no doubt the SL Max will crumble to dust within 15 years.

Using such ‘stretched’ midis is again not a new idea, as many or the corridors now inflicted with Streetlites previously endured SPDs - Arriva Durham routes, 222/20s, 45/46s, 49s......

RE: Arriva North East: Order Predictions - V514DFT - 10 Nov 2017

I was always partial to a prestige,even if they were known for overheating,i didnt so much like the ones stagecoach Newcastle had a few years back,even GNE's were OK,was rather sad to see them go

RE: Arriva North East: Order Predictions - upt50k - 12 Nov 2017

(05 Nov 2017, 1:25 pm)tcts24 OK took a Pennine 7 (EBR850S) IN 1978, having checked the fleet history it was the only Seddon they ever had. Darlington on the other hand developed a habbit of buying naff buses eg. Daimler Roadliner, Seddon Penine RU, single deck Dennis Dominator and of course the infamous Ward Dalesman! It would be interesting to see if theres anyone on here old enough to remember some of these buses and can compare them to Solos and Streetlites of today. My native Hartlepool had RU demonstrator HBU451J on loan in 1972. We also had the single deck Dominators but had the good sense to get rid of them in favour of REs a decade older. I'm 35 and I barely remember our Dominators so I can't really pass judgement. I do however remember the rather dire Wadham Stringer bodied Dennis Falcons Hartlepool had. At the time, they were among the younger buses we had available in the town (including much of the Tees fleet) so didn't seem all that bad as a customer. In hind sight though, I'd take a Streetlite any day!
 I drove the Seddon when it was new it was noted as very economical. There were some issues with the throttle and it had a manual gearbox and you were not able to jump across the gate to select gears and needed to follow the gate I also drove the X1 streetlites from new and found the steering heavy similar to the Leyland Tigers of the 1980's this was very tiresome as the route had tight turns at Roddymoor, Stanley and Tow Law.When they first came we thought the 2 with merc engines superior but soon the cummins engined  examples settled in and proved to be better The gear change was often jerky and raised comments from customers.Voith reset parameters on several occasions and the drvers developed a style to help but this was an extra burden on the driver while trying to keep time on a busy service  I now drive Volvo engined coaches and these are so much smoother and a pleasure to drive

RE: Arriva North East: Order Predictions - BusLoverMum - 12 Nov 2017

(12 Nov 2017, 2:12 pm)upt50k  I drove the Seddon when it was new it was noted as very economical. There were some issues with the throttle and it had a manual gearbox and you were not able to jump across the gate to select gears and needed to follow the gate I also drove the X1 streetlites from new and found the steering heavy similar to the Leyland Tigers of the 1980's this was very tiresome as the route had tight turns at Roddymoor, Stanley and Tow Law.When they first came we thought the 2 with merc engines superior but soon the cummins engined  examples settled in and proved to be better The gear change was often jerky and raised comments from customers.Voith reset parameters on several occasions and the drvers developed a style to help but this was an extra burden on the driver while trying to keep time on a busy service  I now drive Volvo engined coaches and these are so much smoother and a pleasure to drive

I think the name of Streetlites gives away the sort of routes they were designed for. they were made for sitting in traffic on congested urban routes rather than endlessly navigating the winding, hilly A roads of Co Durham.

RE: Arriva North East: Order Predictions - JamesDunkley - 13 Nov 2017

The only thing bad about them doing Town routes is that they are changing Gears more, something which Streetlites find hard to do so.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

RE: Arriva North East: Order Predictions - S830OFT - 13 Nov 2017

13X Streetlites - Darlington:
Releasing:
1424 - 1428 - Stockton replacing 1914, 15, 16, 17, 20.
1461 - Stockton replacing 1922
1462, 63, 65 - Remain at Darlington for Service 8.
1466, 1506 - Transfer to Ashington replacing 1579, 1580 to Jesmond. This will allow MPDS 1761, 1774 to be Withdrawn.
1507 - 1511 - Transfer to Belmont for the 23 allowing 1574 - 1578 to transfer to Jesmond.
1574 - Replaces 4517
1575 - Replaces 4518
1576 - Replaces 4520
1577 - Replaces 4521
1578 - Replaces 4523
This will allow services 52/53/54 to have a Solid Streetlite allocation.

RE: Arriva North East: Order Predictions - GNE6312 - 04 Jan 2019

Blyth's fleet is the oldest in Arriva northumbria with it's newest buses being the 5 12 reg pulsars which will be turning 7 years old in the next few months since the hybrids have gone. Here is my suggestion to modernise the fleet at Blyth:

9x volvo b5tl wright gemini 3s for the X7/8 + another 2 spare (fleet numbered 7638-46) this displaces 7601-8 to jesmond for the 52/3/4 to displace streetlites 1581-8 to stockton for to replace the cadets with 1574-8 staying at jesmond for to be used alongside 7601-8 and pulsars 1493/1501/3 will go to Ashington to be used on the 57/A to upgrade them to MAX

4× volvo B8RLE wright eclipse 3s for the X9 + another 2 spares (fleet numbered 1615-20) which allows 1502/4/5 to join the other pulsars at Ashington for the 57/A which withdraws 1800/1 and displaces the solos to other depots which needs medibuses (1 to redcar which withdraws 1753 which is the oldest dart non to Blyth as they get new medibuses more on thatlater on in the post) 

3 more volvo B8RLE wright eclipse 3s (fleet numbered1621-3) to replace 1401-3

10x volvo B5LH wright gemini 3s for the 308 (the new 7801-10) displcing 7628-34 to whitby/redcar for to be spares for the X93 (7630-4)which allows the ALX 400s usualy used on the summer X93 to go where required when required all year round aswell as 2 to be used on the whitby park and ride (7628/9) displacing 7609/10 to jesmond for to be used alongside sisters 7601-8 on the 52/3/4 (all 10 to be repainted to the new livery 4 at a time with 7416/24/5/6 to go to jesmond and 7635 to go to Belmont full time to replace 7416 with 7416 joining 7424-6 as travelling spares with 7636/7 going to whitby as spares for the whitby park and ride) 

Finaly 5x wright streetairs (like the lothian ones) for the 2 with 2 spares (1624-30) displacing the solos to the 1 to replace the darts

This will give blyth good investment and more importantly the best fleet in Arriva north east 

What does every one think?

RE: Arriva North East: Order Predictions - NewcastleOne - 04 Jan 2019

(04 Jan 2019, 7:19 pm)GNE6312 Blyth's fleet is the oldest in Arriva northumbria with it's newest buses being the 5 12 reg pulsars which will be turning 7 years old in the next few months since the hybrids have gone. Here is my suggestion to modernise the fleet at Blyth:

9x volvo b5tl wright gemini 3s for the X7/8 + another 2 spare (fleet numbered 7638-46) this displaces 7601-8 to jesmond for the 52/3/4 to displace streetlites 1581-8 to stockton for to replace the cadets with 1574-8 staying at jesmond for to be used alongside 7601-8 and pulsars 1493/1501/3 will go to Ashington to be used on the 57/A to upgrade them to MAX

4× volvo B8RLE wright eclipse 3s for the X9 + another 2 spares (fleet numbered 1615-20) which allows 1502/4/5 to join the other pulsars at Ashington for the 57/A which withdraws 1800/1 and displaces the solos to other depots which needs medibuses (1 to redcar which withdraws 1753 which is the oldest dart non to Blyth as they get new medibuses more on thatlater on in the post) 

3 more volvo B8RLE wright eclipse 3s (fleet numbered1621-3) to replace 1401-3

10x volvo B5LH wright gemini 3s for the 308 (the new 7801-10) displcing 7628-34 to whitby/redcar for to be spares for the X93 (7630-4)which allows the ALX 400s usualy used on the summer X93 to go where required when required all year round aswell as 2 to be used on the whitby park and ride (7628/9) displacing 7609/10 to jesmond for to be used alongside sisters 7601-8 on the 52/3/4 (all 10 to be repainted to the new livery 4 at a time with 7416/24/5/6 to go to jesmond and 7635 to go to Belmont full time to replace 7416 with 7416 joining 7424-6 as travelling spares with 7636/7 going to whitby as spares for the whitby park and ride) 

Finaly 5x wright streetairs (like the lothian ones) for the 2 with 2 spares (1624-30) displacing the solos to the 1 to replace the darts

This will give blyth good investment and more importantly the best fleet in Arriva north east 

What does every one think?
57/A does not meet Max Spec as there isn’t one as its a discontinued brand, 57/A does not a Pulsar size bus anyway 
X9&2 don’t need 2 spare buses each remember a route to Spare Bus ratio is 8:1 (usually)
The Streetairs are completely useless so no
Blyth does not need the bus Fleet but do agree that the Darts and Cadets need to leave as they are tried but yet again it only take an Arriva Bus a few years for that to happen.
308 just had its buses refurbished so it does not need any new buses at this moment.
Whitby don’t need extra spare buses as the ALX400s (which you Replace) are covers for X93 that would again be a waste of resources especially as Arriva are not huge investors.

RE: Arriva North East: Order Predictions - Kuyoyo - 04 Jan 2019

Stockton already have half of their Cadet replacements anyway - when they are eventually ready for use, the former Tiger Centros will replace three.