North East Buses
Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc (/showthread.php?tid=108)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - R852 PRG - 14 Oct 2014

(14 Oct 2014, 7:45 pm)NEBCD Malarkey As I was dying with Boredom on the 8 coming home this evening, I decided to see how long it would take to go from the top of Bank to the Roundabout on Chester Road in Rush Hour Traffic, so I set up the Stop Clock on My Phone and off it went for a Grand Total of.................... 11 Minutes (Top to Bottom), Safe to say I was rather shocked as I was expecting it to be around 6/7 Minutes at the most.

Furthermore I took a close look at the Road Layout, if you were to take out the Traffic Lights at the top of Bank along with Crossing half way down, and perhaps replace them with Zebra Crossing you'd then be able with great ease make a Dual Carriage Way down to the Roundabout in Both Directions, On top of that I looked where Residents Parked there Cars and the Vast Majority have more than one Car, so they Park on the Extended Pavement, but what if on either side of the Road that Pavement wasn't there, I think you could yet have another Lane on each side of the Road, Resulting in 6 Lanes in Total.

A thought I had whilst on the 8 was why not make a Residential Car Park at the Top of the Bank on the Green next to the Bus Stop, and again at the Bottom opposite the Petrol Garage, this would allow for the Extra Lane to come into play thus widening the Road.

Just an opinion from my Observations, Think it's time the Council started paying Attention to how Serious this issue on Chester Road actually is, rather than ignoring it.

I remember the last time I got the bus to Sunderland (must have been 4-5 months ago now!) I was on a 78. While I don't have such good geographical skills of Sunderland like I do Chester, I have to admit, I must have been on Chester Road about 8-10 minutes, and we stopped quite a few times due to traffic.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Dan - 14 Oct 2014

Try it on a Friday....................

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Malarkey - 14 Oct 2014

(14 Oct 2014, 7:49 pm)Dan Try it on a Friday....................

Surely your not saying it is worse than a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.

Re: RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Dan - 14 Oct 2014

(14 Oct 2014, 8:24 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Surely your not saying it is worse than a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.
Sure is...

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Malarkey - 14 Oct 2014

(14 Oct 2014, 8:25 pm)Dan Sure is...
In what way though, is just more Traffic or does it affect all 4 Directions at the Roundabout.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Dan - 14 Oct 2014

(14 Oct 2014, 8:32 pm)NEBCD Malarkey In what way though, is just more Traffic or does it affect all 4 Directions at the Roundabout.

As I lived at the top of the bank, it didn't affect me as much, but that did mean that I didn't get to see what was at the bottom of the bank.

It tended to be the Fridays where the tailback extended beyond the entrance to the cemetery closest to The Wavendon. Off memory, I'm sure it was a Friday when a tailback at about 16:30 extended all the way down to the previous bus stop (not far after the church/hospital).

I know Fridays tended to be the day when Stagecoach's service 8 was late too - so perhaps was due to an increased flow of traffic on Holborn Bank near the Round Robin, which would in turn affect the traffic flow on Chester Road, as the traffic from Holborn would join at the roundabout.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 14 Oct 2014

Its busy Monday-Friday, todays traffic tailed back to the entrance of the cemetery... was on the 16 for 15 minutes because of it

(14 Oct 2014, 8:35 pm)Dan As I lived at the top of the bank, it didn't affect me as much, but that did mean that I didn't get to see what was at the bottom of the bank.

It tended to be the Fridays where the tailback extended beyond the entrance to the cemetery closest to The Wavendon. Off memory, I'm sure it was a Friday when a tailback at about 16:30 extended all the way down to the previous bus stop (not far after the church/hospital).

I know Fridays tended to be the day when Stagecoach's service 8 was late too - so perhaps was due to an increased flow of traffic on Holborn Bank near the Round Robin.

I would think increased Traffic would be the Answer then unless there was Roadworks resulting in Diversions which caused an Increase in Traffic, In regards to timing it was around 16:20 when I got stuck there on 8 this evening and it felt like forever compared to other times when I been on the 2A/2C or the 8 going back home, it must be quite frustrating for Home Owners on the Bank as well, I think I have been stuck once past the Top Gates to the Cemetery, but never back as far as the Bus Stop further down the Road.

(14 Oct 2014, 8:45 pm)NEBCD Malarkey I would think increased Traffic would be the Answer then unless there was Roadworks resulting in Diversions which caused an Increase in Traffic, In regards to timing it was around 16:20 when I got stuck there on 8 this evening and it felt like forever compared to other times when I been on the 2A/2C or the 8 going back home, it must be quite frustrating for Home Owners on the Bank as well, I think I have been stuck once past the Top Gates to the Cemetery, but never back as far as the Bus Stop further down the Road.

If I remember rightly, the 8 is due at The Wavey at 16:01 - so to be stuck there at 16:20 is pretty bad!

It's horrendous for bus users in the area. Those services which aren't regulated run 15-20 minutes late, and it means that you really cannot rely on the bus service between 15:30 and 17:00 until things start to recover... I used to walk down for the 8 or 20 on Hylton Road because they were delayed less than the Chester Road services.

Some drivers used to be pretty cool and let you off before the bus stop, but others were adamant they couldn't due to Health & Safety. Plenty didn't bother pulling into the stop once they got to it though - in case they lost their 'spot' - the little island at the traffic lights was often utilised as a bus stop instead.

The delays to the Economics are ghastly too, but they're no where near as bad as the Chester Road services come 4 o'clock.

(14 Oct 2014, 8:52 pm)Dan If I remember rightly, the 8 is due at The Wavey at 16:01 - so to be stuck there at 16:20 is pretty bad!

It's horrendous for bus users in the area. Those services which aren't regulated run 15-20 minutes late, and it means that you really cannot rely on the bus service between 15:30 and 17:00 until things start to recover... I used to walk down for the 8 or 20 on Hylton Road because they were delayed less than the Chester Road services.

Some drivers used to be pretty cool and let you off before the bus stop, but others were adamant they couldn't due to Health & Safety. Plenty didn't bother pulling into the stop once they got to it though - in case they lost their 'spot' - the little island at the traffic lights was often utilised as a bus stop instead.

The delays to the Economics are ghastly too, but they're no where near as bad as the Chester Road services come 4 o'clock.

Yeah that's correct Dan, should of departed PL at 15:53, but was around 16:10 when it departed as there was fault with 5338, not sure whether it was the Handbrake or Braking itself or whether there was an issue with the Steering, whatever it was it ended up with an Engineer at wheel having a look at it in PL, We then did a Lap of PL before Departing, therefore by the time we got to "The Wavey" it was 16:20, and was 16:30 by the time we got to the Bottom, so we would of been running sround 25-30 Minutes Late I think, wouldn't surprise me if it was Regulated at CLS, that's why it looks a lot worse than it should, I should have mentioned it earlier but I forgot...My Bad.

But getting back on the Topic of Chester Road it really does need sorting with immediate affect as there is no way this whole Traffic business can continue on much longer, particularly when it affects Bus Services which need to keep to Timetable, And what actually up with the Economics, other Roadworks on/near Wearmouth Bridge how are those Services running so Late yet the 35's which do a Similar Route have zero Problems.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Andreos1 - 15 Oct 2014

That section of Chester Road has been bad for years.
The low lying sun at this time of year isn't much of a help either.
Saturdays were always known to be bad too - shoppers and football supporters.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 17 Oct 2014

Passing the hospital for the first time in months... the new multi-story car park looks like its nearly done.. should be open soon

Re: RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Dan - 17 Oct 2014

(17 Oct 2014, 7:19 am)Michael Passing the hospital for the first time in months... the new multi-story car park looks like its nearly done.. should be open soon
Aye, was the same for me a few Fridays ago when I checked into A&E for the first time in over 10 years (they didn't even have details of my primary school!)

What was there before - was it just an ordinary car park?

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 17 Oct 2014

(17 Oct 2014, 9:08 pm)Dan Aye, was the same for me a few Fridays ago when I checked into A&E for the first time in over 10 years (they didn't even have details of my primary school!)

What was there before - was it just an ordinary car park?

Ye, hopefully this sorts most of the problems out with parking!

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 19 Oct 2014

Update on the VAUX site

Looks like most of the road is now complete, won't be long before the full road is closed again, so they can tarmac the older road, as it looks a mess

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1006895&page=37

Also Sunderland council have a new video on how traffic will flow once its fully complete - 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcI6uVKlSJA

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - idiot - 20 Oct 2014

Dies anyone know if you will be able to turn right out of St Mary Car Park. This is causing a lot of traffic to go round the roundabout causing delays.

Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - cbma06 - 22 Oct 2014

(20 Oct 2014, 9:50 am)idiot Dies anyone know if you will be able to turn right out of St Mary Car Park. This is causing a lot of traffic to go round the roundabout causing delays.

Their will be no right turn coming out of St Mary's car park. Traffic builds up East bound due to the new traffic lights sequence and traffic has to wait 3 times longer than the old traffic lights system.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - idiot - 22 Oct 2014

Oh well that's good thinking!
Also overnight closures week beginning 3rd November.
So much for October completion

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 22 Oct 2014

(22 Oct 2014, 2:05 pm)idiot Oh well that's good thinking!
Also overnight closures week beginning 3rd November.
So much for October completion

Hopefully this means the new road will be tidied up and parts of the old road sorted, all the road markings etc done.... 

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 25 Oct 2014

Moving away from the town, i found this on the skyscrapercity forum

Investment Funding Opportunity - NORTH HYLTON ROAD, SUNDERLAND, SR5 3JD, High Quality District Retail Centre Development

http://www.cbre.co.uk/portal/pls/portal/docs/1/54546413.PDF

Also someone has posted that fencing has gone up around the proposed site.

------------------------------

Seems Pallion retail park was also bought earlier this year - https://bdaily.co.uk/industrials/14-02-2014/real-estate-funds-snap-up-sunderland-shopping-park-for-189-million/

Also seems -a planing app for an additional 5 units at Pallion retail park.... wonder who would take those? - Anyway before any of that happens the whole retail park needs a make over 

http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=N70ISTBB85000 - .If anyone is unsure how to get to the site plans etc once your on the planning app just select documents, then click 'view associated documents' you can then select each page of the documents at the top and then simply click e link to view the document you wish to!