North East Buses
Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc (/showthread.php?tid=108)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Andreos1 - 25 Oct 2014

Is the new bridge still going to be built?
The amount of traffic passing the site will increase quite a bit, once the bridge and road is constructed - maybe the new owners are speculating to accumulate?

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 25 Oct 2014

(25 Oct 2014, 11:11 am)Andreos1 Is the new bridge still going to be built?
The amount of traffic passing the site will increase quite a bit, once the bridge and road is constructed - maybe the new owners are speculating to accumulate?

Work should start next year on the bridge, hopefully around spring time. 

I'm not sure what u mean on speculating to accumulate? - sorry if i sound like a dumb shit 

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Andreos1 - 25 Oct 2014

Speculate to accumulate - means spending money now, in the hope that you get that money back in the future.

So although that retail park isn't the busiest in the world at the moment, by building those extra units now - once the bridge is constructed and more traffic passes the site, it may lead to increased custom and may attract business to the new units.

Retail World at Team Valley and the retail park at the Metrocentre, were built in the late 80's, basically on the same principle.
The Metrocentre was built, the western bypass was extended and traffic in the area increased.
All of a sudden, that side of Gateshead attracted shoppers - shoppers who wouldn't have been in the area just a few years previously.

Hope that helps?

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 25 Oct 2014

(25 Oct 2014, 11:23 am)Andreos1 Speculate to accumulate - means spending money now, in the hope that you get that money back in the future.

So although that retail park isn't the busiest in the world at the moment, by building those extra units now - once the bridge is constructed and more traffic passes the site, it may lead to increased custom and may attract business to the new units.

Retail World at Team Valley and the retail park at the Metrocentre, were built in the late 80's, basically on the same principle.
The Metrocentre was built, the western bypass was extended and traffic in the area increased.
All of a sudden, that side of Gateshead attracted shoppers - shoppers who wouldn't have been in the area just a few years previously.

Hope that helps?

Cheers, now i know what u mean! 

I hope it does, should be good once the bridge is done, we need it, i'm not sure if companies will send their buses over though 

Haha sorry for sounding like a dumb shit

Can always remember working with an older guy years ago.
He was training me up and said to me: "Ask a question and you feel like a fool once. Don't ask a question and you will be a fool forever".

As for buses, maybe the new 8 will use it.
Can see Southwick buses still using the Queen Alexandra Bridge still - saying that, there may be restrictions put into place and the traffic management system may dictate something.

(25 Oct 2014, 11:31 am)Andreos1 Can always remember working with an older guy years ago.
He was training me up and said to me: "Ask a question and you feel like a fool once. Don't ask a question and you will be a fool forever".

As for buses, maybe the new 8 will use it.
Can see Southwick buses still using the Queen Alexandra Bridge still - saying that, there may be restrictions put into place and the traffic management system may dictate something.

That would be good but i think GNE will want it to continue using the full enterprise park, same as the NEXUS 73 and GNE's 99/99A.

Wonder if Stagecoach would take a risk in moving the 18/19 over to the new bridge?

Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - cbma06 - 25 Oct 2014

When new bridge gets opened, queen Alexandra bridge will only be open for buses and emergency vehicles

(25 Oct 2014, 12:20 pm)cbma06 When new bridge gets opened, queen Alexandra bridge will only be open for buses and emergency vehicles

:0, suprised at that, where did u hear that?

Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - cbma06 - 25 Oct 2014

(25 Oct 2014, 12:24 pm)Michael :0, suprised at that, where did u hear that?

It was in amongst all the online documents about the new bridge, either on the council planning documents or in the documents from a organisation about the plans. Since the announcement about the new bridge was quite a few years ago and the QA bridge section was about the same time.

(25 Oct 2014, 12:33 pm)cbma06 It was in amongst all the online documents about the new bridge, either on the council planning documents or in the documents from a organisation about the plans. Since the announcement about the new bridge was quite a few years ago and the QA bridge  section was about the same time.

Be a good move but tbh the services which cross it only run either.. every 30 mins or hourly,although from the 2.11.14 it will increase by 2 due to the 8 going that way.

Btw my first reply... i got mixed up with the current bridges haha

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 30 Oct 2014

Just an update regarding the completion of St Marys Way/Boulevard,---in the State of the City debate, ---it was stated --that the main Highway will be mostly completed by November 12th,--but there would be off peak lane closures for short periods.

After reading the State of the City debate,---there was a comment regarding the completion of Keel Square,---it will now be completed a little later by early January,--as there has been unforeseen factors which have hindered progress,--so about a month later than expected.

- Thanks to denm from the skyscrapercity forum.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 31 Oct 2014

Just being to seaburn, they got most of the path up along the walkway near the beach (where the steps lead down to the beach), new wall is getting put in place now, of course old one was broken last ear because of that storm we had.

Looks like work is getting done in the fairground although i think its where they've just put all the old bricks etc and loads of workmen huts are in place.

Edit:

The Wheatscheaf bus stop looks much better since they straightened it out... they need to re-tarmac it to make it smooth, they still need to erect a bus shelter/shop. 

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 02 Nov 2014

Few updates with pictures...........

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1710912&page=7 - few new pictures of the square on skyscrapercity (near the bottom)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1060391&page=67 - latest pic of chase, this time from the market side... looks massive

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1669576&page=10 - Premier Inn Hotel, St Michael’s Way

Thanks to denm for the pictures (i hope she/he doesn't mind me sharing them)

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Andreos1 - 03 Nov 2014

http://m.sunderlandecho.com/news/business/sunderland-wins-bid-to-bring-tall-ships-race-to-the-wear-1-6929990

So the Tall Ships are calling into Sunderland.

Hopefully it gets the councils finger out of their backside and they sort out the town centre and riverside.
If Hartlepool can do it...

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Andreos1 - 04 Nov 2014

Future developments in Sunderland?

Just had an email about:
Preparation of an Area Action Plan and; the Nationally Significant Infrastructure Project (NSIP) Development Consent Order; and the Outline Planning Application for the International Advanced
Manufacturing Park (IAMP)

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 04 Nov 2014

(04 Nov 2014, 8:36 pm)Andreos1 Future developments in Sunderland?

Just had an email about:

Thanks for sharing 

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Dan - 05 Nov 2014

Bit of a shite photo, but the road is closed tonight and it looks like they've resurfaced the road on St Marys Way

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 05 Nov 2014

(05 Nov 2014, 9:02 pm)Dan Bit of a shite photo, but the road is closed tonight and it looks like they've resurfaced the road on St Marys Way

About time, you could tell you where going from old road to new road, hopefully it won't need to be done again until the new year when the square is completed...

I think its shut all week - only during the nights.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 12 Nov 2014

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/local/all-news/100million-development-deal-is-major-step-for-sunderland-1-6946899

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/business/traders-rejoice-as-sunderland-s-roadworks-misery-comes-to-an-end-1-6947074

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 12 Nov 2014

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2014/11/11/carillion-seals-deal-for-800m-sunderland-regeneration/