North East Buses
Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc (/showthread.php?tid=108)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 26 May 2015

(26 May 2015, 3:31 pm)cbma06 yea, the roundabout will have to stay because there took out the right hand turn out of st marys car park.

wont be long until afterwards there do the paving stones and seating to Fawcett street and market square again, it seems that this is a year after year case, lost count how many times the paving etc.. has been done.

It should improve the flow of traffic, i really hope this happens. 

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - cbma06 - 26 May 2015

(26 May 2015, 6:08 pm)Michael It should improve the flow of traffic, i really hope this happens. 

The council has mentioned about sending the traffic straight up onto bridge street and over to wearmouth bridge for sometime now, it was even mentioned before their made the two way traffic outside of the museum to assist stagecoach 10/11 services, so hopefully the buses can get out of Fawcett street and onto wearmouth bridge a lot quicker to provide better punctuality instead of getting stuck at a couple of traffic lights and the traffic coming from the docks area competing for space just to get to the bridge street roundabout.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 26 May 2015

(26 May 2015, 6:16 pm)cbma06 The council has mentioned about sending the traffic straight up onto bridge street and over to wearmouth bridge for sometime now, it was even mentioned before their made the two way traffic outside of the museum to assist stagecoach 10/11 services, so hopefully the buses can get out of Fawcett street and onto wearmouth bridge a lot quicker to provide better punctuality instead of getting stuck at a couple of traffic lights and the traffic coming from the docks area competing for space just to get to the bridge street roundabout.

I remember them going up that road in the 90's before they changed the system.... was better that way... glad they're thinking of changing it back

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - cbma06 - 26 May 2015

(26 May 2015, 6:20 pm)Michael I remember them going up that road in the 90's before they changed the system.... was better that way... glad they're thinking of changing it back

yep, good old days, 3 lanes of traffic all the way up Fawcett street onto the bridge Smile

(26 May 2015, 6:22 pm)cbma06 yep, good old days, 3 lanes of traffic all the way up Fawcett street onto the bridge Smile

Shame the whole area was wreaked when they decided to change it.

I'm hoping once the VAUX site is done and everything has being cleared away, someone will start to build on it, i haven't being down that way in a while, may have a visit later this week.

Current projects:

VAUX site
Hilton hotel at the SOL 
New college in the city centre
Seaburn/Roker 
New bridge.

All these need to be done before anything is done.... i mean the bridge will take 3 years so include that as a long term project.

College, Hilton hotel should open next year 
Seaburn should be done in the next few months 
VAUX site - not sure whats planned atm

Other projects 

The court and police station is supposed to be the council hands........ no doubt they'll be empty for years.

I think they need to move the civic centre.... maybe move to the VUAX site, means that area can be used as a car park for the college. 

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - cbma06 - 28 May 2015

(26 May 2015, 6:30 pm)Michael Shame the whole area was wreaked when they decided to change it.

I'm hoping once the VAUX site is done and everything has being cleared away, someone will start to build on it, i haven't being down that way in a while, may have a visit later this week.

Current projects:

VAUX site
Hilton hotel at the SOL 
New college in the city centre
Seaburn/Roker 
New bridge.

All these need to be done before anything is done.... i mean the bridge will take 3 years so include that as a long term project.

College, Hilton hotel should open next year 
Seaburn should be done in the next few months 
VAUX site - not sure whats planned atm

Other projects 

The court and police station is supposed to be the council hands........ no doubt they'll be empty for years.

I think they need to move the civic centre.... maybe move to the VUAX site, means that area can be used as a car park for the college. 

would like to see the road on Fawcett street extended width wise, to help the buses have a clear run up Fawcett street instead of been blocked by 2 buses on the bus stop, or maybe have Fawcett street layout similar to South Shields Keppel street east, but have each stand room for 2 buses.

Since the council will be starting the new paving,seating area from Bridge street and finishing at St Michaels way, I think the council takes control of the police station building from this September, maybe their knock it down but I don't think it will be empty for to long, as it would of costed the council quite abit of cash, maybe another hotel lol, So far as am aware that the road from St Marys all the way to B&Q roundabout will be 2 lanes in each direction and their be taking out the small roundabout at the bottom of Hylton road and replacing it by 4 way traffic lights.

I would of liked to see the council ousted from their out dated civic centre and take up residents at empty building in the town until their new build at Vaux site, would of perfered to see the sunderland college to be build on the civic centre site and take down the old wet damp civic car park and replace it with a brand new car park which would be extended  over the metro lines area and tie it in with something better on the Holmside triangle site.

About the Courts, I think its out of sunderland council control, as the Courts were going to be elsewhere at a vacant site at Farringdon Row, I think the land has been purchased but before the building work commenced the ministers put a hold on building the new court complex.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 28 May 2015

Me too Cbma - something needs to be done, the road is terrible if a bus doesn't/can't park up at the bus stop.

Thanks for the info on the police station, i hope it doesn't stop empty for ages.... a hotel would be decent but aren't they building one on the square already?

As for the civic centre, it needs to go, its a horrid site, the area could be used for the college... like a car park or even a few more buildings, like offices etc.

Edit:

Holmeside also needs sorting, the amount of buses using each stop on both sides is ridiculous............. 

Here is the stop for the 3,4,13,20,20A, X20 - http://liners.nexus.org.uk/24S26.pdf - Every bus service is every 10 mins (20/20A - every 20 mins but you know what i mean) - the amount of times the 23 bus stop is blocked is ridiculous.

Here is my stop for the 23 - http://liners.nexus.org.uk/24S25.pdf - although not all services are frequent as the buses on the above stop, all still  arrive at the bus stop with a frequency of every 10/15 mins (expect for the 38C/X1).

I think the whole area needs changing.

Made a list on services using Holmeside: (this is towards Park Lane, Sunderland Hospital etc)

Services using holmeside:

2/2A – Every 10 minutes
3 – Every 10 minutes
4 – Every 10 minutes
5/5A – Every 30 minutes
8 – Every 30 minutes
10/11 – Every 7/8 minutes
12 – Every 10 minutes
13 – Every 10 minutes
16 – Every 10 minutes
20 – Every 10 minutes (Stagecoach)
20/20A – Every 10 minutes
23 – Every 10 Minutes
33/33A – Every 15 minutes
35/36 – Every 15 minutes
35A – Every 30 minutes (Evenings and Sundays only)
38/238 – Every 20 minutes
39 – Every 15 minutes
136 – Every 60 minutes (Night/Sunday only)
700 – Every 15 minutes
X1 – Every 20 mins (Peak time only)
X20 – Peak times only – 3 runs a day (Mon-Fri only)
X36 – Every 30 minutes

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - cbma06 - 28 May 2015

(28 May 2015, 10:15 am)Michael Me too Cbma - something needs to be done, the road is terrible if a bus doesn't/can't park up at the bus stop.

Thanks for the info on the police station, i hope it doesn't stop empty for ages.... a hotel would be decent but aren't they building one on the square already?

As for the civic centre, it needs to go, its a horrid site, the area could be used for the college... like a car park or even a few more buildings, like offices etc.

Edit:

Holmeside also needs sorting, the amount of buses using each stop on both sides is ridiculous............. 

Here is the stop for the 3,4,13,20,20A, X20 - http://liners.nexus.org.uk/24S26.pdf - Every bus service is every 10 mins (20/20A - every 20 mins but you know what i mean) - the amount of times the 23 bus stop is blocked is ridiculous.

Here is my stop for the 23 - http://liners.nexus.org.uk/24S25.pdf - although not all services are frequent as the buses on the above stop, all still  arrive at the bus stop with a frequency of every 10/15 mins (expect for the 38C/X1).

I think the whole area needs changing.

Made a list on services using Holmeside: (this is towards Park Lane, Sunderland Hospital etc)

Services using holmeside:

2/2A – Every 10 minutes
3 – Every 10 minutes
4 – Every 10 minutes
5/5A – Every 30 minutes
8 – Every 30 minutes
10/11 – Every 7/8 minutes
12 – Every 10 minutes
13 – Every 10 minutes
16 – Every 10 minutes
20 – Every 10 minutes (Stagecoach)
20/20A – Every 10 minutes
23 – Every 10 Minutes
33/33A – Every 15 minutes
35/36 – Every 15 minutes
35A – Every 30 minutes (Evenings and Sundays only)
38/238 – Every 20 minutes
39 – Every 15 minutes
136 – Every 60 minutes (Night/Sunday only)
700 – Every 15 minutes
X1 – Every 20 mins (Peak time only)
X20 – Peak times only – 3 runs a day (Mon-Fri only)
X36 – Every 30 minutes

you missed off the E1,E2 and E6 lol

I was only joking about having a hotel on the police station site lol , seems that's sunderland have gone mad about having hotels.

When the economics leave park lane interchange there go right round the back and enter Fawcett street from burdon road so missing out Holmside.

So if Holmside goes only east bound traffic, then everything coming from eastbound (16/10/11/4/ etc.. etc...) will would have to follow right around behind park lane onto burdon road and Fawcett street which would restrict passengers getting off at either the bus stop on Stockton road or burdon road and then Fawcett street, which passengers wouldn't really able to get off at one side of the town at Vine Place.

whos in charge of bus companies stopping at bus stops?, I know that the bus companies have to register the route with VOSA, does the bus companies have to register stopping at bus stops with Nexus and if so can Nexus say no to the bus companies?.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 29 May 2015

(28 May 2015, 1:11 pm)cbma06 you missed off the E1,E2 and E6 lol

I was only joking about having a hotel on the police station site lol , seems that's sunderland have gone mad about having hotels.

When the economics leave park lane interchange there go right round the back and enter Fawcett street from burdon road so missing out Holmside.

So if Holmside goes only east bound traffic, then everything coming from eastbound (16/10/11/4/ etc.. etc...) will would have to follow right around behind park lane onto burdon road and Fawcett street which would restrict passengers getting off at either the bus stop on Stockton road or burdon road and then Fawcett street, which passengers wouldn't really able to get off at one side of the town at Vine Place.

whos in charge of bus companies stopping at bus stops?, I know that the bus companies have to register the route with VOSA, does the bus companies have to register stopping at bus stops with Nexus and if so can Nexus say no to the bus companies?.

Sorry for the late reply Cbma 

I forgot about those going up Holmeside, that should change soon when St Mary's is fully open.

Holmeside will stop as a 2 way system, a few things need changing,like more bus stops just to split the full ones up.. i:e the stop where the 12,23,33,33A,35 and 36 stop heading towards Silksworth, Thorney Close, Houghton etc...... although the question is... where is the space.

Wasn't there a rumour going around they wanted to make Fawcett street a place for the public only, no roads.....

Not 100% sure who tells the companies which bus stops they can stop at. 

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 31 May 2015

Had a walk to Keel Square yesterday and it looks really good, the fountains are nice and the whole area looks good.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 03 Jun 2015

15/01087/FUL | Change of use of part of existing car park to 'Fan Village' with facilities to include mini-pitch, lockable kiosks for stalls/refreshments, canopies for shelter and mix of loose furniture. | Public Car Park Open Stadium Way/Millennium Way Sunderland

Change of use of part of existing car park to 'Fan Village' with facilities to include mini-pitch, lockable kiosks for stalls/refreshments, canopies for shelter and mix of loose furniture.

Planning app: http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=NP09S1BB02G00

Info from - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=990079&page=16

Thanks to all who posted on the forum! =)

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - cbma06 - 04 Jun 2015

Maybe its about time a dual carriageway needed perhaps:

http://ow.ly/i/b8TJw

been like this since the 90's, always happens at 3pm after the parents doing the school run.

for the selection of images:

http://ow.ly/user/TyneWearTravel

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 04 Jun 2015

(04 Jun 2015, 3:58 pm)cbma06 Maybe its about time a dual carriageway needed perhaps:

been like this since the 90's, always happens at 3pm after the parents doing the school run.

for the selection of images:

http://ow.ly/user/TyneWearTravel

Its the worst road ever, it was planned before but it didn't happen 

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Dan - 04 Jun 2015

(04 Jun 2015, 3:58 pm)cbma06 Maybe its about time a dual carriageway needed perhaps:

It's absolutely ludicrous.

The road itself may be slightly too narrow to become a dual carriageway, but the road could easily be expanded by reducing the size of the pavements. The trouble with that is that many residents on that road choose to park their cars there (as can be seen on one of the images).

As I've said before, it makes the area incredibly dangerous to be in. Cars decide to leave the main road when they reach The Wavendon and fly around the small estates to make up lost time while the driver(s) have been sat in traffic. Not forgetting the inconvenience it causes to those who use the bus in this area - and other areas such as Consett, Stanley, Doxford Park, Southwick, Silksworth and Washington owing to the cross-city nature of the routes that serve this road.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - cbma06 - 04 Jun 2015

I remember this from 2008 era, but could come back in years to come.

MOTORISTS could be forced to pay controversial congestion charges in huge areas of the region under plans revealed to The Journal.

Tens of thousands of motorists could face a £1 fee to enter an outer charging zone and £2 to enter a city centre under two road pricing schemes based around Newcastle and Sunderland.

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/crazy-road-tax-plan-4509513

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - JakeSavage - 04 Jun 2015

Regarding the Chester road/ Broadway roundabout, Sunderland city council actually have a "white line" scheme on the very near horizon. I'm led to believe possibly as early a next month (start of school holidays).

The plan is to increase the number of lanes approaching the roundabout so that there are 2 eastbound and 2 westbound. There'll remain one lane on the exit side. This should reduce queue lengths as twice as many vehicles will be Abel to enter the roundabout at any one time, reducing compounded delays. Although it could be argued that a bus lane would be better for sustainable travel....

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 04 Jun 2015

(04 Jun 2015, 6:29 pm)JakeSavage Regarding the Chester road/ Broadway roundabout, Sunderland city council actually have a "white line" scheme on the very near horizon. I'm led to believe possibly as early a next month (start of school holidays).

The plan is to increase the number of lanes approaching the roundabout so that there are 2 eastbound and 2 westbound. There'll remain one lane on the exit side. This should reduce queue lengths as twice as many vehicles will be Abel to enter the roundabout at any one time, reducing compounded delays. Although it could be argued that a bus lane would be better for sustainable travel....

Maybe but they've being saying that for years.... if it actually goes ahead then that's good.

Edit: They can only increase the road from a single to a double lane if they take the path up... and that might take a while. 

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - JakeSavage - 04 Jun 2015

The road will be three lanes in the vicinity - two approaching the roundabout, one leading away.

There were plans a few years ago (before the Comprehensive Spending Review), to replace the roundabout with a traffic light controlled signalised junction. But the CSR cancelled those (very expensive) plans, and Sunderland council couldn't afford the scheme themselves.

Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - cbma06 - 04 Jun 2015

(04 Jun 2015, 6:29 pm)JakeSavage Regarding the Chester road/ Broadway roundabout, Sunderland city council actually have a "white line" scheme on the very near horizon. I'm led to believe possibly as early a next month (start of school holidays).

Am I missing something?, there's 2 lanes of traffic approaching Broadway roundabout from the town, both lanes had ahead on with the right lane had white arrow showing ahead and to turn right but there was a lot of traffic taking both lanes to go ahead and causing accidents and near misses as its only a tight exit, the council decided to have the right lane only for right turns only and replaced the white arrow marker for right turns

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - JakeSavage - 05 Jun 2015

At the moment the there's only a short 2-lane stacking area. This will be increased, I think back to cortina avenue (?).