North East Buses
Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc (/showthread.php?tid=108)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 09 Jul 2014

(09 Jul 2014, 6:50 pm)Brandon Stone Does anyone know if the plans have changed at all since 2011 for the Wearmouth Bridge roundabout?

There is a plan on page 25 of 59 of the book (31 of 72 of the actual PDF).

It says that two-way traffic would be instigated on Bridge Street, which potentially allows buses direct access from Fawcett Street to the Wearmouth Bridge. While I like the idea in that buses may not have to traverse around High Street West, Bedford Street and West Wear Street, I'm wondering if the shorter / more direct route via Bridge Street would cause greater congestion in Fawcett Street, exaggerated possibly by long signal dwell times at the bridgehead junction. If the 8/20 continue to stay at the bottom end of Fawcett Street, and only the first bus stop used in Fawcett Street for the 19/23/E1/E2/E6 & 35, could the top two bus stops in Fawcett Street be discontinued, freeing up the road-space for two northbound exit lanes?

"Wearmouth Bridgehead Signalisation involves the conversion of the A1018 Wearmouth Bridge / A1018 West Wear Street / A183 St Mary’s Way roundabout to signal control. The scheme includes a new bus lane from Wearmouth Bridge southbound to West Wear Street southbound, a dedicated free-flow slip from Vaux Boulevard to Wearmouth Bridge northbound (hugely benefiting the Sunderland Connect 700/701!), and a revised layout at the junction of West Wear Street. This layout is presented in Figure 4-6."

Despite my reservations at the time, the Wheatsheaf gyratory changes have proved successful. Fingers crossed this scheme too won't serve any major traffic headaches upon completion!

Brandon, i have being looking for that document everywhere.

Ye, that was the proposal, it looks much better than the current roundabout

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - JakeSavage - 09 Jul 2014

They're not opening up bridge street with these works.

The current works are to realign the lanes on the roundabout, and replace the life-expired/obsolete traffic signals with new ones.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 09 Jul 2014

(09 Jul 2014, 8:37 pm)JakeSavage They're not opening up bridge street with these works.

The current works are to realign the lanes on the roundabout, and replace the life-expired/obsolete traffic signals with new ones.

Its a shame because i think it would allow the traffic in the area to flow better.

I had a feeling they were only realigning the lanes.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 10 Jul 2014

I wonder if we will ever get the traffic lights and dedicated bus lane on chester road near the broadway because it needs it!

Page 30 of that document Brandon shared.. it looks like they had plans to take the roundabout up near the stadium (where the current roundabout is), i also think this will help traffic.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - cbma06 - 10 Jul 2014

(10 Jul 2014, 9:53 am)Michael I wonder if we will ever get the traffic lights and dedicated bus lane on chester road near the broadway because it needs it!

Page 30 of that document Brandon shared.. it looks like they had plans to take the roundabout up near the stadium (where the current roundabout is), i also think this will help traffic.

The Chester road super route got binned by the council

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 10 Jul 2014

(10 Jul 2014, 10:52 am)cbma06 The Chester road super route got binned by the council

Doesn't surprise me at all, shame because they were good plans!

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 14 Jul 2014

New bridge plans on display:

A six-week public consultation launched on Friday with interested parties now able to view them in various venues across the city.

Copies of the scheme and of the relevant plans and specifications can be seen until August 26, at the City Library in Fawcett Street and Kayll Road Library.

Objections should be submitted in writing to nationalcasework@dft.gsi.gov.uk

Full page here: http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/local/all-news/have-your-say-on-sunderland-s-new-wear-bridge-1-6728388

The red on the attachment is the bridge.. black is where i think other work will be carried out.

BTW it does look like a gentleman's sausage! haha

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Andreos1 - 14 Jul 2014

(14 Jul 2014, 12:59 pm)Michael New bridge plans on display:

A six-week public consultation launched on Friday with interested parties now able to view them in various venues across the city.

Copies of the scheme and of the relevant plans and specifications can be seen until August 26, at the City Library in Fawcett Street and Kayll Road Library.

Objections should be submitted in writing to nationalcasework@dft.gsi.gov.uk

Full page here: http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/local/all-news/have-your-say-on-sunderland-s-new-wear-bridge-1-6728388

The red on the attachment is the bridge.. black is where i think other work will be carried out.

BTW it does look like a gentleman's sausage! haha

I reckon there will be work to realign the road on the north side of the river - not only to assist with the traffic flow, but also to direct traffic towards the new bridge.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 14 Jul 2014

(14 Jul 2014, 4:40 pm)Andreos Constantopolous I reckon there will be work to realign the road on the north side of the river - not only to assist with the traffic flow, but also to direct traffic towards the new bridge.

Ye, can't see it having much disruption tbh, maybe a few diversions that's all

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Andreos1 - 15 Jul 2014

Just thinking out loud, but with the re-jigging of the roads around St Mary's and the chronic state of Sunderland Station, is it worth having a play of the roads around there, to improve access?

Even if only for buses, it could possibly increase footfall and numbers around there.

Southbound - Bridge Street, High St, Station St, John St and as normal route.

Northbound - Holmeside, Waterloo Place, right to the current taxi rank and then back onto current routes from Fawcett St.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Dan - 15 Jul 2014

Anyone know what work is being done on Seaburn pier? There was trucks and cranes and stuff on there this afternoon.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 15 Jul 2014

(15 Jul 2014, 3:14 pm)Dan Anyone know what work is being done on Seaburn pier? There was trucks and cranes and stuff on there this afternoon.

I think they are resurfacing it and fixing the railings etc due to the severe weather we had before, as it was badly damaged.

The pier will be closed for the time being, not sure how long it will be shut for

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Andreos1 - 15 Jul 2014

(15 Jul 2014, 3:14 pm)Dan Anyone know what work is being done on Seaburn pier? There was trucks and cranes and stuff on there this afternoon.

There have been features on the radio and TV relating to re-opening the underground tunnel.

No idea if the two are connected

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Acky81 - 17 Jul 2014

(15 Jul 2014, 3:27 pm)Michael I think they are resurfacing it and fixing the railings etc due to the severe weather we had before, as it was badly damaged.

The pier will be closed for the time being, not sure how long it will be shut for

Closed June-dec for repairs

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 17 Jul 2014

(17 Jul 2014, 12:31 am)Acky81 Closed June-dec for repairs

Though it was something like that

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 21 Jul 2014

Shops are coming down really fast on Holmeside!

Latest pics from Holmeside Development Area | Sunderland | Various | Pre-planning on the SkyscraperCity site. - thanks to all who upload the pictures on there!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=890236&page=15

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Dan - 21 Jul 2014

It looks awful. Just past it for the first time since they've started knocking it down.

Anyone mad enough to visit Sunderland as a tourist destination certainly wouldn't make a return trip based on the state of the City Centre at present.

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Michael - 21 Jul 2014

(21 Jul 2014, 4:49 pm)Dan It looks awful. Just past it for the first time since they've started knocking it down.

Anyone mad enough to visit Sunderland as a tourist destination certainly wouldn't make a return trip based on the state of the City Centre at present.

Very, they might as well knock the whole city centre down and start again...

Re: RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc - Dan - 21 Jul 2014

(21 Jul 2014, 4:54 pm)Michael Very, they might as well knock the whole city centre down and start again...
St Marys Way is looking slightly more appealling as of late... just so I'm not revolving around negativity.

(21 Jul 2014, 4:55 pm)Dan St Marys Way is looking slightly more appealling as of late... just so I'm not revolving around negativity.

It does, that should be done by start of December.

I think once those shops go down and the land is cleared, it will look a lot better.