North East Buses
North East Bus Stations - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: North East Bus Stations (/showthread.php?tid=1104)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: North East Bus Stations - citaro5284 - 09 Jul 2015

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/controversial-hexham-bus-station-relocation-9625263

Hexham Bus Station re-location

RE: North East Bus Stations - Malarkey - 09 Jul 2015

(09 Jul 2015, 9:12 pm)citaro5284 http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/controversial-hexham-bus-station-relocation-9625263

Hexham Bus Station re-location

Cant see why there opposed to relocating the Bus Station for an improved facility at a bigger site in the Town, the current Station is hardly practical as Buses struggle to even do a U-Turn around the top end to come back out, and I wouldnt want to be standing there when it is chucking it down with Rain or during the Winter when we have a cold snap with no shelter, would prefer to be standing in the warmth of a New Bus Station if I was living in Hexham.

RE: North East Bus Stations - G-CPTN - 09 Jul 2015

(09 Jul 2015, 10:05 pm)Malarkey Cant see why there opposed to relocating the Bus Station for an improved facility at a bigger site in the Town, the current Station is hardly practical as Buses struggle to even do a U-Turn around the top end to come back out, and I wouldnt want to be standing there when it is chucking it down with Rain or during the Winter when we have a cold snap with no shelter, would prefer to be standing in the warmth of a New Bus Station if I was living in Hexham.

There are many elderly passengers that will struggle to walk the extra distance (both ways) from the new location, crossing two major road junctions, instead of being able to visit the fruit and vegetable shop and the bakery (as well as withdraw money from an ATM) without having to walk more than 100 metres and not cross any road.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/54.9705778,-2.0955912/54.9701938,-2.099444/@54.9702962,-2.0984091,206m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e2

And, of course, there is the extra time taken to walk the extra distance which will have to be subtracted from the time between buses.

At the moment I am fit enough to manage the extra walk, but it will curtail my quick trips which I can achieve by catching the same bus back, having to wait an extra half hour for the following connection.

RE: North East Bus Stations - Adrian - 10 Jul 2015

I hadn't realised the new bus station was only a few minutes walk away (on flat ground). I'd thought it was the other side of town or something, judging by the reaction. Could someone really manage to walk round the shops, if they'd struggle with that initial 0.2mi walk?

It's all about striking a balance. A bus station needs to be fit for purpose, cost effective, and to act as a gateway for Hexham. The current does not offer this, and is a pretty grim place for people heading into Hexham.

RE: North East Bus Stations - Jimmi - 10 Jul 2015

(10 Jul 2015, 6:26 am)aureolin I hadn't realised the new bus station was only a few minutes walk away (on flat ground). I'd thought it was the other side of town or something, judging by the reaction. Could someone really manage to walk round the shops, if they'd struggle with that initial 0.2mi walk?

It's all about striking a balance. A bus station needs to be fit for purpose, cost effective, and to act as a gateway for Hexham. The current does not offer this, and is a pretty grim place for people heading into Hexham.

It's probably going to be one of those situations where pensioners don't want to walk anywhere further than they do now, recently in Darlington some OAPs have been kicking up a fuss because of service changes they can no longer board service 19 at the stop on Northgate and now have to use Tubwell Row to board the service.

(10 Jul 2015, 6:38 am)Jimmi It's probably going to be one of those situations where pensioners don't want to walk anywhere further than they do now, recently in Darlington some OAPs have been kicking up a fuss because of service changes they can no longer board service 19 at the stop on Northgate and now have to use Tubwell Row to board the service.
But if the bus station had always been where the new one is planned, and they were moving it to where the existing one is, then the same arguments would be brought up. Some people are resistant to change of any kind.

In comparison, it's about the same distance as the Galleries bus station is away from the shops...

RE: North East Bus Stations - Jimmi - 10 Jul 2015

(10 Jul 2015, 8:20 am)aureolin But if the bus station had always been where the new one is planned, and they were moving it to where the existing one is, then the same arguments would be brought up. Some people are resistant to change of any kind.

In comparison, it's about the same distance as the Galleries bus station is away from the shops...

Some people really don't like any form of change to things like this as they get used to getting the bus to get on/off in a certain place and won't be happy if that is to change. It's the same whenever bus companies announce route changes, look when Go North East made service back in January there was some frustration because a direct link from somewhere in Sunderland (can't remember where) to Royal Hospital was lost with the issue being taken to councillors and The Chronicle writing about it and making out that GNE didn't care about their passengers etc. even though they have plenty of connections to continue to their location but the way it was made out to be you thought they were losing all bus services in the area. These people should think about the people who have very little bus services such as the people in Neasham and Sadberge in Darlington who now only have a bus service on a Monday.

RE: North East Bus Stations - eezypeazy - 10 Jul 2015

You can read the rationale behind the design of Hexham's proposed new bus station here:

http://publicaccess.northumberland.gov.uk/online-applications/files/F90174E5D7FD672BDBE2CBE2E5E2D3D1/pdf/15_02170_CCD-DESIGN_AND_ACCESS_STATEMENT-481629.pdf

The visuals look pretty impressive: a 'pocket park' outdoor waiting area; a light-operated pedestrian crossing at the top of Loosing Hill; clear walking routes; no need for buses to reverse; an indoor waiting area for up to 40 people; public toilets; refreshment kiosk; a wide cover-all canopy incorporating photovoltaics protecting the bus stands; a sympathetic use of materials giving a modern look yet complementing the other buildings in the town; an 'obelisk' incorporating a (working!) clock from the old bus station, plus the 'HEXHAM' stone signage from the top of the bus station re-used; what's not to like?

RE: North East Bus Stations - Dan - 10 Jul 2015

(10 Jul 2015, 9:58 am)eezypeazy You can read the rationale behind the design of Hexham's proposed new bus station here:

http://publicaccess.northumberland.gov.uk/online-applications/files/F90174E5D7FD672BDBE2CBE2E5E2D3D1/pdf/15_02170_CCD-DESIGN_AND_ACCESS_STATEMENT-481629.pdf

The visuals look pretty impressive: a 'pocket park' outdoor waiting area; a light-operated pedestrian crossing at the top of Loosing Hill; clear walking routes; no need for buses to reverse; an indoor waiting area for up to 40 people; public toilets; refreshment kiosk; a wide cover-all canopy incorporating photovoltaics protecting the bus stands; a sympathetic use of materials giving a modern look yet complementing the other buildings in the town; an 'obelisk' incorporating a (working!) clock from the old bus station, plus the 'HEXHAM' stone signage from the top of the bus station re-used; what's not to like?

I agree - the images on the PDF look really impressive indeed. I quite like how traditional elements symbolising Hexham's heritage have been used alongside modern materials.

I had some trouble opening the PDF (which I suspect will, in part, be linked to its 46MB file size). I've managed to compress this down to just under 25 - I've uploaded it direct to the site's server for anyone having issues.
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/archive/NCC/HexhamBusStation_Proposal_July2015.pdf

(10 Jul 2015, 6:16 pm)Dan I agree - the images on the PDF look really impressive indeed. I quite like how traditional elements symbolising Hexham's heritage have been used alongside modern materials.

I had some trouble opening the PDF (which I suspect will, in part, be linked to its 46MB file size). I've managed to compress this down to just under 25 - I've uploaded it direct to the site's server for anyone having issues.
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/archive/NCC/HexhamBusStation_Proposal_July2015.pdf

Looks very smart. It'll certainly be one of the smartest looking bus stations in the region.

RE: North East Bus Stations - thetravelman - 10 Jul 2015

I personally think that Hexham does need a new bus station, the existing site is well beyond its Sell By Date.

I also think that the proposed new site at Loosing Hill is as good a place as any, and only a few extra minutes easy walk away. This will also be quite attractive for Hospital users, as this site is right opposite Hexham Hospital.

The plans of the New bus station also look good... overall I like it!

Only downside I can see is Hexham is losing quite a few parking spaces to accommodate the new bus station, but I think anywhere that it goes there will be something to lose.

I like Hexham as a place, and worked in Hexham for several years - The problem with Hexham I find is that it is always against any sort of change.... even down to new shops, for years now, any new shops that want to open, seem to always be challenged by people that don't want them in Hexham. Its often a case of "we don't want it in our town" - type attitude! 

In general I'm in support of the new proposed Bus station.

RE: North East Bus Stations - Michael - 12 Aug 2015

Got an email back from Sunderland council about the toilets...

Hello Mr Webster

I refer to your complaint re the public toilets at The Interchange Sunderland. Sorry for the delay in contacting you your concerns have now been brought to my attention.

We have an on-going problem with the misuse of the toilets for example drug and syringe usage. This is the reason for the darkened lights as they help deter this misuse.

I will look into the cleaning of the toilets as we have a mobile attendant clean each morning, they are then manned from 11.30am to 2.30pm and cleaned again before closure.

Once again thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Once again... nothing will happen.

RE: North East Bus Stations - Tom - 12 Aug 2015

How the hell will darkened lights deter the misuse? Those toilets are disgrace, normally go to Debenhams if I'm there as I wouldn't use them.

(12 Aug 2015, 10:19 am)Tom How the hell will darkened lights deter the misuse? Those toilets are disgrace, normally go to Debenhams if I'm there as I wouldn't use them.

Emailed her back see what she said about it being dangerous to have dimmed lights, have a feeling shes telling bull. 

If she emails me back with a shit answer, i'll be saying i'm going to the echo about it, she'll do something then!

RE: North East Bus Stations - Tom - 12 Aug 2015

(12 Aug 2015, 10:21 am)Michael Emailed her back see what she said about it being dangerous to have dimmed lights, have a feeling shes telling bull. 

If she emails me back with a shit answer, i'll be saying i'm going to the echo about it, she'll do something then!

Aye they are far too dark. I know not to use them anymore anyway.

(12 Aug 2015, 10:23 am)Tom Aye they are far too dark. I know not to use them anymore anyway.

Also mentioned about how often the toilets are cleaned... 3 times a day is terrible, i said how about every 1 hour 30 minutes?

See what she replies back with, i'll let everyone know!

RE: North East Bus Stations - Jimmi - 12 Aug 2015

(12 Aug 2015, 9:58 am)Michael Got an email back from Sunderland council about the toilets...

Hello Mr Webster

I refer to your complaint re the public toilets at The Interchange Sunderland. Sorry for the delay in contacting you your concerns have now been brought to my attention.

We have an on-going problem with the misuse of the toilets for example drug and syringe usage. This is the reason for the darkened lights as they help deter this misuse.

I will look into the cleaning of the toilets as we have a mobile attendant clean each morning, they are then manned from 11.30am to 2.30pm and cleaned again before closure.

Once again thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Once again... nothing will happen.

So because of a few people taking drugs everyone who lives/visits Sunderland Interchange and needs to use these facilities gets the horror of the horrific dark lights which makes it a bit difficult to see and the lack of space to move doesn't help and then there is the fact it always looks filthy even after being cleaned and metal toilets, no, just no!

In my opinion if people want to take drugs in that dark dank smelly hole bloody let them, you are probably deterring far more people who want to use them toilets for their intended purposes than a few druggies.

RE: North East Bus Stations - cbma06 - 12 Aug 2015

(12 Aug 2015, 10:19 am)Tom How the hell will darkened lights deter the misuse? Those toilets are disgrace, normally go to Debenhams if I'm there as I wouldn't use them.

I was told that the darken coloured lights is because so these drug users wont be able to see their coloured veins on their arms, so their cant inject drugs.

RE: North East Bus Stations - Sidthebusbabe - 17 Aug 2015

Blaydon bus station seems to have been treated to some new, aesthetically pleasing, easy to read information systems replacing the unreliable units previously fitted. They seem to be Google Chrome based and currently display 'System under testing':
[Image: rzANxxP.jpg]

RE: North East Bus Stations - DanPicken - 17 Aug 2015

(17 Aug 2015, 3:07 pm)Sidthebusbabe Blaydon bus station seems to have been treated to some new, aesthetically pleasing, easy to read information systems replacing the unreliable units previously fitted. They seem to be Google Chrome based and currently display 'System under testing':
[Image: rzANxxP.jpg]
Central Station has these.