North East Buses
Bank Holiday Services - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Bank Holiday Services (/showthread.php?tid=1444)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Bank Holiday - Rob44 - 28 Aug 2022

so one on here always mentions that sundays should jist be like any other day.... well for me bank holiday mondays should be too. Can remember the last bank holiday i go off

RE: Bank Holiday - Unber43 - 28 Aug 2022

(28 Aug 2022, 12:53 pm)Adrian This is one of the reasons the industry will always fail to be an attractive option for people travelling.

Retail, leisure and work patterns have changed, but largely there's been a failure to adapt to them. Most town and city centres are now becoming leisure hot spots, as traditional retail is declining. This should be easy picking for bus operators, because unlike retail, people going out for food and drink generally (or I hope!) don't take their car.

Yet for many, its not worth the hassle of taking the bus on a Sunday or Bank Holiday. Frequencies are dire, demand outweighs capacity on key routes, and its generally a frustrating experience.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I definitely think certain services, 20,21 (especially), X21, 65(even tho its just been reduced whenever i've used it its been busy on Sunday), 50, 4, X10

RE: Bank Holiday - F114TML - 28 Aug 2022

(28 Aug 2022, 1:23 pm)streetdeckfan For most people (or at least everybody that I know) Sundays and Bank Holidays are just normal days now, so why are operators still treating them as if they're special?

They can say it's because there aren't enough passengers, but why is that?

On a Sunday, I lose my direct half hourly services to Newcastle and Darlington, and go from 6 buses an hour to Durham, to one. It's literally not worth the risk to try and travel by bus on a Sunday!
I would presume the issue lies with the drivers actually. Stagecoach offer extra benefits to drivers who work bank holidays (extra day added to holiday allowance and higher pay for that day), presumably GNE are the same. Ergo, passenger numbers need to be higher on Sundays and bank holidays. Would be interesting to see someone run a service with a normal timetable on a sunday/bank holiday. I'm doubtful it'd last long though unless it was something like the 20 or 21.

RE: Bank Holiday - Unber43 - 28 Aug 2022

(28 Aug 2022, 1:34 pm)F114TML I would presume the issue lies with the drivers actually. Stagecoach offer extra benefits to drivers who work bank holidays (extra day added to holiday allowance and higher pay for that day - unsure if these benefits also apply to Sundays), presumably GNE are the same.
I would presume its another failure by the management team.

but remember Better Than Ever

RE: Bank Holiday - streetdeckfan - 28 Aug 2022

(28 Aug 2022, 1:29 pm)Rob44 so one on here always mentions that sundays should jist be like any other day.... well for me bank holiday mondays should be too.  Can remember the last bank holiday i go off

Tbh, I didn't even know it was a bank holiday tomorrow until someone mentioned it in Lidl before!

I only know one person who gets bank holidays off, but she's an accountant so they use any excuse to have a day off!

RE: Bank Holiday - omnicity4659 - 28 Aug 2022

(28 Aug 2022, 12:11 pm)N1cholas The year 2022 and people still dont know that sunday service operates every bank holiday no matter if it is a monday or friday it will never change

Yup, the year is 2022 and bank holidays are becoming even more irrelevant.

The majority of services and places are no longer affected as much as they used to be, meaning that people actually need reminding that a bank holiday is coming up so they can plan their day around services that are stuck in the previous century.

RE: Bank Holiday - Charles41 - 28 Aug 2022

But if we did not have Bank Holidays then I would not be able to visit Seaburn tomorrow and watch a load of socially inept people wandering around with oversized cameras.

I'm excited already.

Charles

RE: Bank Holiday - stagecoachbusdepot - 28 Aug 2022

(28 Aug 2022, 1:23 pm)streetdeckfan For most people (or at least everybody that I know) Sundays and Bank Holidays are just normal days now, so why are operators still treating them as if they're special?

They can say it's because there aren't enough passengers, but why is that?

On a Sunday, I lose my direct half hourly services to Newcastle and Darlington, and go from 6 buses an hour to Durham, to one. It's literally not worth the risk to try and travel by bus on a Sunday!

Not sure that is the case for the majority of the population.  Many, many workplaces still close on bank holidays.  As do a lot of the places people may need to attend e.g. non-urgent health services.  Apart from blue light services etc, retail is probably the main area that is open and even then in the main does so for much reduced hours (meaning among other things fewer staff journeys as less shifts to cover).  I suspect for a lot of people their travel needs are different with more focus on leisure trips rather than 'having to be' somewhere whether that is a workplace, meetings or an appointment.

(28 Aug 2022, 3:12 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Not sure that is the case for the majority of the population.  Many, many workplaces still close on bank holidays.  As do a lot of the places people may need to attend e.g. non-urgent health services.  Apart from blue light services etc, retail is probably the main area that is open and even then in the main does so for much reduced hours (meaning among other things fewer staff journeys as less shifts to cover).  I suspect for a lot of people their travel needs are different with more focus on leisure trips rather than 'having to be' somewhere whether that is a workplace, meetings or an appointment.

Then there's an even greater need to have a proper service.

If people are tempted to use the bus for leisure, then they might choose to switch for commuting as well. But if they look, see they have an hourly service (if they're lucky), then they're not even going to consider using the bus at all

RE: Bank Holiday - DeltaMan - 28 Aug 2022

If a company has an enhanced service but they can't get enough volunteers (most drivers will want a day off too, no matter how much dosh you throw at them), then what? Are we comfortable forcing some drivers to work when they don't want to?

RE: Bank Holiday - Adrian - 28 Aug 2022

(28 Aug 2022, 3:12 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Not sure that is the case for the majority of the population.  Many, many workplaces still close on bank holidays.  As do a lot of the places people may need to attend e.g. non-urgent health services.  Apart from blue light services etc, retail is probably the main area that is open and even then in the main does so for much reduced hours (meaning among other things fewer staff journeys as less shifts to cover).  I suspect for a lot of people their travel needs are different with more focus on leisure trips rather than 'having to be' somewhere whether that is a workplace, meetings or an appointment.

I agree. The vast majority of Mon-Fri business operations don't operate on a bank holiday, and they tend to run on a skeleton staffing, if at all.  

(28 Aug 2022, 4:40 pm)DeltaMan If a company has an enhanced service but they can't get enough volunteers (most drivers will want a day off too, no matter how much dosh you throw at them), then what? Are we comfortable forcing some drivers to work when they don't want to?

If the service needs to be provided, then they shouldn't be relying on volunteers. It should be a normal working day, with the bank holiday rolled up into leave entitlement, like a lot of other industries do. 

Blue light services are often cited as the example of those that work around the clock, but really the list is far greater than that; power generation, water, telecoms, broadcast, IT & network engineers, retail & hospitality, and even the security industry. They all likely want the day/night off, but you can't have a complete shutdown of the country every bank holiday or weekend.

It's not about forcing anyone to do anything, but as a service provider, you need to meet the needs of those who want to use the service.

RE: Bank Holiday - DeltaMan - 28 Aug 2022

(28 Aug 2022, 6:12 pm)Adrian I agree. The vast majority of Mon-Fri business operations don't operate on a bank holiday, and they tend to run on a skeleton staffing, if at all.  

If the service needs to be provided, then they shouldn't be relying on volunteers. It should be a normal working day, with the bank holiday rolled up into leave entitlement, like a lot of other industries do. 

Blue light services are often cited as the example of those that work around the clock, but really the list is far greater than that; power generation, water, telecoms, broadcast, IT & network engineers, retail & hospitality, and even the security industry. They all likely want the day/night off, but you can't have a complete shutdown of the country every bank holiday or weekend.

It's not about forcing anyone to do anything,
but as a service provider, you need to meet the needs of those who want to use the service.
So, put the Bank Holiday in the working week but not mandate drivers to work them? Forward allocators will love you!

RE: Bank Holiday - mb134 - 28 Aug 2022

(28 Aug 2022, 6:12 pm)Adrian I agree. The vast majority of Mon-Fri business operations don't operate on a bank holiday, and they tend to run on a skeleton staffing, if at all.  

It's not about forcing anyone to do anything, but as a service provider, you need to meet the needs of those who want to use the service.

I'm sure getting that past a TU, without other significant compromises from operators, will be a breeze. 

I fully support BH services being better than what they currently are, but realistically it's going to be quite difficult - even just thinking about agreements for BH working.

What we need are bank holidays and the Sunday Trading Act scrapped.

#equalityforalldays

Bank Holiday - cbma06 - 28 Aug 2022

I take it that some people want a full bus service on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day and have drivers work there days off and have no holiday entitlement as some people want a full service , send an email to boris and he probably make it into law so drivers can’t go on holiday with there family as passengers wants to be somewhere, bank holidays are bank holidays are there for a reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Bank Holiday - F114TML - 28 Aug 2022

(28 Aug 2022, 4:40 pm)DeltaMan If a company has an enhanced service but they can't get enough volunteers (most drivers will want a day off too, no matter how much dosh you throw at them), then what? Are we comfortable forcing some drivers to work when they don't want to?
Ha! Imagine thinking bus drivers are real people with real lives and real emotions and feelings.

Wink

(28 Aug 2022, 7:39 pm)cbma06 I take it that some people want a full bus service on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day and have drivers work there days off and have no holiday entitlement as some people want a full service , send an email to boris and he probably make it into law so drivers can’t go on holiday with there family as passengers wants to be somewhere, bank holidays are bank holidays are there for a reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christmas Day I'd be fine with a skeleton service, a few journeys on each route a day would do, New Years day I could tolerate a Sunday service.

But Boxing Day should definitely have a full service IMO.

(28 Aug 2022, 7:41 pm)F114TML Ha! Imagine thinking bus drivers are real people with real lives and real emotions and feelings.

Wink

As I've said before, as a passenger it's not my job to care about the drivers feelings, it's the company's job to make them happy.
I just want to get from A to B

(28 Aug 2022, 6:50 pm)DeltaMan So, put the Bank Holiday in the working week but not mandate drivers to work them? Forward allocators will love you!

How much extra resource do you think enhancing a Sunday timetable for a bank holiday would require? Every time it's mentioned on here, you'd think the suggestion was to run every service to a normal weekday or Saturday timetable! 

Demand has changed, but not that much. I can't see Saturday timetables for Bank Holidays being needed network-wide for the foreseeable future, but there needs to be an enhancement to Sunday timetables to reflect all the examples already given in this thread. Sunday timetables have been butchered recently, so the problem has only become worse.

Maybe you ought to ask yourself whether operators can afford to keep staring gift horse in the mouth? In case you hadn't noticed, Buses in England are on their knees and begging for money to survive. The more that they are car-friendly, the less chance we've ever got of getting out of this spiral of decline.

(28 Aug 2022, 6:57 pm)mb134 I'm sure getting that past a TU, without other significant compromises from operators, will be a breeze. 

I fully support BH services being better than what they currently are, but realistically it's going to be quite difficult - even just thinking about agreements for BH working.

There are always workable options to achieve something, and it doesn't have to become an industrial relations disaster in the process. Where I've seen this change happen elsewhere, it's usually been on the basis of guarantees around the number of BHs you can be asked to work, not being rostered the whole weekend or an agreed enhanced rate for the shift.

Just because something was written decades ago with the right intentions, it doesn't mean it's workable in the current day. Otherwise we'd still be running every bus in England with a conductor.

I started to touch upon this above, but what would an enhanced bank holiday timetable look like anyway? I personally don't think it'd be much different to a Sunday timetable, other on the core routes of the network and ensuring that some of the early morning services run to support people getting to work. Stagecoach only (sensibly) enhance the E1, E2 & E6 to almost a Saturday timetable, so the additional resource requirement isn't going to be significant for them to cover. GNE, off the top of my head, would likely only be the X1, 21/X21 and the Coast Road stuff. Again, not really surging the resource demand, in the grand scheme of things.

(28 Aug 2022, 7:39 pm)cbma06 I take it that some people want a full bus service on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day and have drivers work there days off and have no holiday entitlement as some people want a full service , send an email to boris and he probably make it into law so drivers can’t go on holiday with there family as passengers wants to be somewhere, bank holidays are bank holidays are there for a reason

As I've said above, every time this is brought up, everyone goes straight to the extreme of interpreting it as a demand for Mon-Fri (or Sat) timetables on a bank holiday. I can never tell whether it's a deliberate ignorance of the debate of faux outrage, but hey ho.

(28 Aug 2022, 7:41 pm)F114TML Ha! Imagine thinking bus drivers are real people with real lives and real emotions and feelings.

Wink

I mean, yeah, I don't think anyone was suggesting otherwise, but it if makes you feel better...

What do you think people should do on a bank holiday, if everything closes, because no one ever has to work one? Nothing open, no pubs/bars/restaurants, no sporting events, no TV, no Internet, no electric or gas. Sounds like a fun day. Smile

(28 Aug 2022, 8:09 pm)Adrian As I've said above, every time this is brought up, everyone goes straight to the extreme of interpreting it as a demand for Mon-Fri (or Sat) timetables on a bank holiday. I can never tell whether it's a deliberate ignorance of the debate of faux outrage, but hey ho.

I mean, yeah, I don't think anyone was suggesting otherwise, but it if makes you feel better...

What do you think people should do on a bank holiday, if everything closes, because no one ever has to work one? Nothing open, no pubs/bars/restaurants, no sporting events, no TV, no Internet, no electric or gas. Sounds like a fun day. Smile

People also act as if everyone has to work every bank holiday if they start running a proper service, when in reality that would never be the case.

That's like saying because Tesco is open 24 hours, staff have to work 24 hours a day.