North East Buses
Bank Holiday Services - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Bank Holiday Services (/showthread.php?tid=1444)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - Jimmi - 25 Mar 2016

(25 Mar 2016, 6:56 pm)tyresmoke Been working Metro replacements today and never seen anything like today. Even the Coasters were running in pairs with standing loads. Definitely demand for a higher service frequency on the main routes on Good Friday and has been for years.

Sunday timetables on Bank Holidays don't work, they barely work on Sundays in some cases!

RE: Bank Holiday Services - Kuyoyo - 25 Mar 2016

(25 Mar 2016, 2:53 pm)idiot Stagecoach tweeting high customer demand causing delays. It's the 21st century that's why and I'm sure you could run more than a Sunday service.
(25 Mar 2016, 3:10 pm)Ambassador Speaking of high demand. A 40 minute wait for a 21. Outrageously bad.

This happens every bank holiday (and reliability is awful on Sundays too)

You'd think they'd learn to react to demand
(25 Mar 2016, 6:56 pm)tyresmoke Been working Metro replacements today and never seen anything like today. Even the Coasters were running in pairs with standing loads. Definitely demand for a higher service frequency on the main routes on Good Friday and has been for years.
(25 Mar 2016, 6:59 pm)Jimmi Sunday timetables on Bank Holidays don't work, they barely work on Sundays in some cases!

Pulling these over from the 'Annoying' thread.

I would agree, to a point, that Bank Holidays, or at least Good Friday, should have a better service than Sunday service levels. However, I wouldn't go as far as calling for a normal Monday or Friday level of service after the Bank Holiday after Christmas last year proved it didn't justify even a Saturday service.
However, I do think the major routes could do with a special timetable running to normal weekday timings until evening drop-off time. I would like to point out that this is my opinion on the matter - but I do feel some routes may need their normal weekday service levels just to give a Sunday level of service especially after today.

RE: Bank Holiday Services - idiot - 25 Mar 2016

Last #2 was 6 minutes late from Silksworth. Driver said to his friends as they were getting off its just been manic.

Sounded almost like couldn't cope with demand. Not been funny but this is the last bus of the evening? Surely should of caught up on schedule from the busy period? When will bus depots get out of the 19th century?

RE: Bank Holiday Services - Ambassador - 26 Mar 2016

The crazy thing is Easter Sunday having a regular service when all that's open are pubs....yet New Year's Day has nothing.

The 21 has been utterly hopeless on Sunday's for yonks, surely they saw today coming? It's just bad management all round

RE: Bank Holiday Services - Michael - 26 Mar 2016

Think it depends on the route...

I would imagine the 21 would suit its normal times but something like the 28, not sure it would, I'm taking guesses as I'm not from the area.

RE: Bank Holiday Services - South Tyne Lad - 26 Mar 2016

(26 Mar 2016, 12:22 am)Michael Think it depends on the route...

I would imagine the 21 would suit its normal times but something like the 28, not sure it would, I'm taking guesses as I'm not from the area.

Going by what I've seen on Sundays, I think the 21 needs upgrading to every 7 Mins like what's shown on Monday - Saturday, Also on Monday to Saturday the service needs upgrading to every 4-5 Mins -
Newcastle City Centre - Chester-Le-Street.

RE: Bank Holiday Services - Andreos1 - 26 Mar 2016

For years, operators have told us services operate using data from previous years.

If they are indeed doing that, why isn't anything changing? 
If demand is increasing year on year, why aren't operators stepping up and beyond?

In addition that, I would love to know how data is analysed for services that are non-existent on Bank Holidays.
How can they work out passenger demands, without data?

Yesterday, I went inland for the day, visiting areas served by a major operator during the normal working week - when demand is probably lower than it was yesterday (judging by the cars parked and visitors visiting - in addition to those living and working in the areas).
Was there a bus service yesterday? Whey no. Of course there wasn't.

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - GuyParkRoyal - 26 Mar 2016

(25 Mar 2016, 3:10 pm)Ambassador Speaking of high demand. A 40 minute wait for a 21. Outrageously bad.

This happens every bank holiday (and reliability is awful on Sundays too)

You'd think they'd learn to react to demand

I agree the 21 was not only suffering timing problems yesterday as capacity seemed to be proving an issue as well. My experience yesterday was arriving in to Eldon Square at 18:05 for a 21 to Chester le Street with next bus due display showning as 18:15. The 18:15 bus arrived at 18.25 dropped off passengers at the set down stand and left Eldon Square empty. The 18:30 bus then arrived on time but a huge backlog of customers were rammed into the bus. On departure from Gateshead all of the top deck seats were taken, there were standing passengers on the lower deck and there was even children sitting on the stairs. I can understand the need to regulate buses to get them back on time but capacity also needs to be considered when considering regulating a service.

Eldon Square bus station had huge queues going back to the front door with no visibility of staff from Nexus or the bus operators to manage the situation. Nexus should have had cover for health and safety and GNE could have managed the capacity of people waiting verses regulating buses if they had a supervisor present at Eldon Square on busy public holidays.

Stagecoach also had issues with  capacity and / or frequency on the X88 when I was at Eldon Square with the queue for that service back to the front door and the allocated late running Enviro 400 departing with standees.

In conclusion not only do operators needs to review service provision on a public holiday they also need to provide a greater level of supervision to manage the situations that might occur with capacity. Those responsible for bus stations need to have staff attending on Public Holidays when passengers numbers require it.

RE: Bank Holiday Services - Michael - 26 Mar 2016

(26 Mar 2016, 12:28 am)South Tyne Lad Going by what I've seen on Sundays, I think the 21 needs upgrading to every 7 Mins like what's shown on Monday - Saturday, Also on Monday to Saturday the service needs upgrading to every 4-5 Mins -
Newcastle City Centre - Chester-Le-Street.

If that ever happens, it'll probables be when the 21 gets new buses.

RE: Bank Holiday Services - omnicity4659 - 26 Mar 2016

My mam passed Ashington bus station at about 1015, and she said there was large queues for the x22.

RE: Bank Holiday Services - Adrian - 26 Mar 2016

(26 Mar 2016, 8:25 am)Andreos1 For years, operators have told us services operate using data from previous years.

If they are indeed doing that, why isn't anything changing? 
If demand is increasing year on year, why aren't operators stepping up and beyond?

In addition that, I would love to know how data is analysed for services that are non-existent on Bank Holidays.
How can they work out passenger demands, without data?

Yesterday, I went inland for the day, visiting areas served by a major operator during the normal working week - when demand is probably lower than it was yesterday (judging by the cars parked and visitors visiting - in addition to those living and working in the areas).
Was there a bus service yesterday? Whey no. Of course there wasn't.

I didn't bother going out at all yesterday, as I really don't fancy waiting round for ages and ages to get anywhere. The service I have on a Sunday is piss poor, yet still far better than what a lot of Durham has. Several villages are without a bus service for 3 out of 4 days over the Easter weekend, yet we're apparently in 2016.

RE: Bank Holiday Services - palatine3833 - 27 Mar 2016

(26 Mar 2016, 6:08 pm)Adrian I didn't bother going out at all yesterday, as I really don't fancy waiting round for ages and ages to get anywhere. The service I have on a Sunday is piss poor, yet still far better than what a lot of Durham has. Several villages are without a bus service for 3 out of 4 days over the Easter weekend, yet we're apparently in 2016.

You have to look at the bigger picture though.  Yes, demand is greater on Easter weekends etc., but the drivers also have families that they would like to spend the time of year with.  Since it's a bank holiday, the company has to rely on volunteers to work the holiday - if you don't have the volunteers, you can't operate the services.  Then you also have to look at the additional costs of operating on such holidays, since the drivers that do volunteer will need an incentive to do so.  I agree that some parts of the region need higher operating levels on these holidays and that a Sunday service is, in the most part, inadequate, so maybe operators could design a 'special timetable' to relieve the crowds.

RE: Bank Holiday Services - citaro5284 - 27 Mar 2016

(27 Mar 2016, 1:10 pm)palatine3833 You have to look at the bigger picture though.  Yes, demand is greater on Easter weekends etc., but the drivers also have families that they would like to spend the time of year with.  Since it's a bank holiday, the company has to rely on volunteers to work the holiday - if you don't have the volunteers, you can't operate the services.  Then you also have to look at the additional costs of operating on such holidays, since the drivers that do volunteer will need an incentive to do so.  I agree that some parts of the region need higher operating levels on these holidays and that a Sunday service is, in the most part, inadequate, so maybe operators could design a 'special timetable' to relieve the crowds.

You do not build Sunday duties into the rota's for a Bank Holiday?  We operate proper Bank Holiday rota's whereby we move duties around to accommodate the work, whilst some of the drivers who should be working on a Bank Holiday maybe on hols or sick (and them duties will be put out as overtime and volunteers would be required), the bulk of the duties are covered within the normal basic week (at Bank Holiday rates).

RE: Bank Holiday Services - Adrian - 27 Mar 2016

(27 Mar 2016, 1:10 pm)palatine3833 You have to look at the bigger picture though.  Yes, demand is greater on Easter weekends etc., but the drivers also have families that they would like to spend the time of year with.  Since it's a bank holiday, the company has to rely on volunteers to work the holiday - if you don't have the volunteers, you can't operate the services.  Then you also have to look at the additional costs of operating on such holidays, since the drivers that do volunteer will need an incentive to do so.  I agree that some parts of the region need higher operating levels on these holidays and that a Sunday service is, in the most part, inadequate, so maybe operators could design a 'special timetable' to relieve the crowds.

But there's a business to run at the end of the day. You can't just stick two fingers up at your customers, because you want to ensure that all your staff have a day off on a bank holiday, especially when there's no statutory requirement.

I can't understand why a company would need to rely on volunteers? If you know you need to provide a service to your customers on bank holidays, then you'd ensure that contracts of employment don't stipulate 'no bank holiday working'. I appreciate that legacy contracts in some organisations may include this, but there's no reason why new starters have to come in on those terms.

Having a look around us:
- Arriva Yorkshire: Saturday timetable on Good Friday
- Lothian Buses: Saturday timetable on Good Friday and Easter Monday
- West Yorkshire Metro area: Saturday timetable on Good Friday

Something needs to change.

RE: Bank Holiday Services - Ambassador - 27 Mar 2016

Completely agree. Retail and other service sectors (GNE drivers are part of this service sector) wouldn't think twice about working bank holidays.

Most companies either pay well for working it or offer a day off in lieu plus your bank holiday allowance.

I'm not saying a full service on all routes but key flagship stuff like the 21, X1 etc should have better than Sunday when the Sunday timetable doesn't even work for those routes on a normal Sunday! I've ended up driving on Sunday's because the 21 is simply totally unreliable .

RE: Bank Holiday Services - L469 YVK - 27 Mar 2016

Looking at some of the routes on a Bank Holiday, I think they should operate to these timetables giving the best of reduced costs whilst meeting demand during the day:

GNE:
- Coaster 1/1A every 15 minutes between Whitley Bay and Gateshead with hourly / half hourly extensions as per usual Sunday timetable to Kibblesworth or Wrekenton during the daytime.

- Simplicity 2/2A every 30 minutes each combining every 15 minutes during the daytime.

- Connections 4 every 10 minutes between Heworth and Fallowfield Way continuing every 20 minutes to
Houghton Le Spring during the daytime.

- Red Arrows X1 every 15 minutes during the daytime.

- TEN 10 / 10A / 10B normal Saturday service during the daytime.

- Angel 21 normal Saturday service during the daytime.

- Castles Express X21 normal Saturday service.

- Crusader 27 every 15 minutes during the daytime.

- Red Kite 45 / 46 / 47 normal Saturday service during the daytime.

- Fab 56 every 15 minutes during the daytime.

- Drifter 60 every 15 minutes during the daytime.

- Drifter 61 every 15 minutes during the daytime.

- Loop 93 / 94 normal Saturday service during the daytime.

- Cobalt Clipper 309 / 310 every 20 minutes each or every 10 minutes combined during the daytime.
Note that these could run every 15 minutes each (7-8 combined) with the 309 only continuing between Blyth and Whitley Bay every 30 minutes.

Arriva:
- X21 / X22 every 30 minutes each or every 15 minutes combined during the daytime.

- 35 every 60 minutes during the daytime.

- X10 / X11 every 30 minutes each or every 15 minutes combined during the daytime.

- X16 every 60 minutes between Morpeth and Newcastle interworking with service 35 at Morpeth.
This would provide a bus every 30 minutes between Morpeth and Newcastle combined with service X18
as well as the additional X15 journeys which normally operate.

- Coastliner 306 / 308 every 20 minutes each or every 10 minutes combined during the daytime.
Note that these could run every 15 minutes each (7-8 combined) with the 308 only continuing between Blyth and Whitley Bay every 30 minutes or even every 15 minutes.

RE: Bank Holiday Services - biglugs@yahoo.com - 27 Mar 2016

(27 Mar 2016, 3:42 pm)DaveyBowyer Looking at some of the routes on a Bank Holiday, I think they should operate to these timetables giving the best of reduced costs whilst meeting demand during the day:

GNE:
- Coaster 1/1A every 15 minutes between Whitley Bay and Gateshead with hourly / half hourly extensions as per usual Sunday timetable to Kibblesworth or Wrekenton during the daytime.

- Simplicity 2A/2C every 30 minutes each combining every 15 minutes during the daytime.

- Connections 4 every 10 minutes between Heworth and Fallowfield Way continuing every 20 minutes to

- Cobalt Clipper 309 / 310 every 20 minutes each or every 10 minutes combined during the daytime.
Note that these could run every 15 minutes each (7-8 combined) with the 309 only continuing between Blyth and Whitley Bay every 30 minutes.

Arriva:
- X21 / X22 every 30 minutes each or every 15 minutes combined during the daytime.

- X10 / X11 every 30 minutes each or every 15 minutes combined during the daytime.

- X16 every 60 minutes between Morpeth and Newcastle interworking with service 35 at Morpeth.
This would provide a bus every 30 minutes between Morpeth and Newcastle combined with service X18

- Coastliner 306 / 308 every 20 minutes each or every 10 minutes combined during the daytime.
Note that these could run every 15 minutes each (7-8 combined) with the 308 only continuing between Blyth and Whitley Bay every 30 minutes or even every 15 minutes.

The 2c is not a service are you refering to the 2

RE: Bank Holiday Services - L469 YVK - 27 Mar 2016

(27 Mar 2016, 5:49 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com The 2c is not a service are you refering to the 2

Opps, I'll change it! Big Grin

RE: Bank Holiday Services - Michael - 27 Mar 2016

(27 Mar 2016, 3:42 pm)DaveyBowyer Looking at some of the routes on a Bank Holiday, I think they should operate to these timetables giving the best of reduced costs whilst meeting demand during the day:

GNE:

- Simplicity 2/2A every 30 minutes each combining every 15 minutes during the daytime.

Arriva:

Adding on:

Stagecoach Sunderland

3/4/10/11/13/16/20/23 - Monday-Saturday service

5/5A - Normal Sunday service.

8/12/18/19 - doesn't run on Sundays and evenings - try the routes on an hourly basis?

Bank Holiday Services - Jimmi - 28 Mar 2016

Going back to the topic of buses that don't run on Sundays meaning in most cases you get left with no services for three out of the four days of the Easter Holidays in some places, the following independent operators are running these timetables today:

Dales & District.
29 – Normal timetable
34 – Normal Timetable
54 – Normal Timetable
55 – Normal Timetable
70 – 07.25 from Ripon and 17.25 from Northallerton running only
72 – Saturday Timetable
856 – Normal Timetable (This service runs Sunday's only normally and is part of the Dalesbus network)
159 – Amended Timetable
Ripon, 138, 139 – Saturday Service

Hodgsons Coaches.
Saw a post on their Facebook saying that they were running a full service on the 79 today between Barnard Castle and Richmond.

The Eden.
I'm told that apparently The Eden are running a limited service on the Bishop Auckland Asda Free Bus service today, between around 10:30 and 14:45.

Scarlet Band.
Service 20 which serves Bishopton, Sadberge and Neasham will be running today as the 20 only operates on Monday's so the service runs on Bank Holiday Monday's.