North East Buses
Bank Holiday Services - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Bank Holiday Services (/showthread.php?tid=1444)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Bank Holiday Services - JakeSavage - 28 Mar 2016

Pop quiz: with today's weather forecast being decidedly "changeable", how many of the services which apparently struggled on Good Friday will need 'bolstering' today?

(Bearing in mind you'd also need to declare your intentions at least 21 days in advance...?)

RE: Bank Holiday Services - Andreos1 - 28 Mar 2016

(27 Mar 2016, 2:27 pm)Ambassador Completely agree. Retail and other service sectors (GNE drivers are part of this service sector) wouldn't think twice about working bank holidays.

Most companies either pay well for working it or offer a day off in lieu plus your bank holiday allowance.

I'm not saying a full service on all routes but key flagship stuff like the 21, X1 etc should have better than Sunday when the Sunday timetable doesn't even work for those routes on a normal Sunday! I've ended up driving on Sunday's because the 21 is simply totally unreliable .

I think that is probably one of the reasons we don't see a decent service.
Drivers welfare is maybe way down the list of concerns - well after margins, profitability and ensuring there is enough staff on duty.

However the industry is historically bad at being an attractive job proposition.
De-reg and erroded conditions haven't helped.
Would operators really want to take the gamble and lose staff in addition to gambling on introducing services that may or may not work.
They don't have data to analyse. Punters have a perception public transport and the percieved poor level of service on a weekend.

I can't see there being a seismic shift in Bank Holiday services at all.
A gradual one maybe.

RE: Bank Holiday Services - Adrian - 28 Mar 2016

(28 Mar 2016, 9:32 am)JakeSavage Pop quiz: with today's weather forecast being decidedly "changeable", how many of the services which apparently struggled on Good Friday will need 'bolstering' today?

(Bearing in mind you'd also need to declare your intentions at least 21 days in advance...?)

There was no 'apparent' struggle about it. Stagecoach and Go North East both admitted on social media that they were having capacity issues. Arriva not so, but you could tell from the live map that they were struggling.

People will still go out somewhere, regardless of the weather. The variable is where they go to. There'll still be plenty of travel to and from town and city centres, the likes of the Metrocentre, and so on.

The poor bus service provision is what puts people off. Not the weather.

RE: Bank Holiday Services - JakeSavage - 28 Mar 2016

Looking at stagecoach's twitter, only Sunderland were reporting heavy passenger demand. And we should bear in mind that on bank holidays all their main core routes are now running at 20 minutes, combining to run at 10 minute intervals on common sections, and also that the ecos are running to full weekday timetables (post 1030).

The majority of reported concerns were due to bank holiday traffic congestion. Same on the GNE Twitter feed, although their passengers did appear a bit more confused as to the services which were running. 

I do think the point of folk having different destinations dependent upon the weather is a valid one though. But equally so is the legal requirement to confirm the services 21 days in advance - it's hard enough to to predict the glorious British summer at 21 hours notice, yet alone 21 days...!

(28 Mar 2016, 11:52 am)JakeSavage Looking at stagecoach's twitter, only Sunderland were reporting heavy passenger demand. And we should bear in mind that on bank holidays all their main core routes are now running at 20 minutes, combining to run at 10 minute intervals on common sections, and also that the ecos are running to full weekday timetables (post 1030).

The majority of reported concerns were due to bank holiday traffic congestion. Same on the GNE Twitter feed, although their passengers did appear a bit more confused as to the services which were running. 

I do think the point of folk having different destinations dependent upon the weather is a valid one though. But equally so is the legal requirement to confirm the services 21 days in advance - it's hard enough to to predict the glorious British summer at 21 hours notice, yet alone 21 days...!

So what do operators need to do? Keep things as they are or look to invest in an overlooked period of the year.
It's not as if Bank Holidays are a new crazy invention.

I bet a management team conducting an honest SWOT analysis, an undertaking of the 5 Forces Model would identify weaknesses in their provision, before passngers (potential or otherwise) were asked for thoughts.

RE: Bank Holiday Services - BusLoverMum - 28 Mar 2016

(28 Mar 2016, 9:48 am)Adrian There was no 'apparent' struggle about it. Stagecoach and Go North East both admitted on social media that they were having capacity issues. Arriva not so, but you could tell from the live map that they were struggling.

People will still go out somewhere, regardless of the weather. The variable is where they go to. There'll still be plenty of travel to and from town and city centres, the likes of the Metrocentre, and so on.

The poor bus service provision is what puts people off. Not the weather.
The Metrocentre itself is packed. Just left the green car park and there's no free spaces.

Tumbleweed in the bus station, though.

RE: Bank Holiday Services - Adrian - 28 Mar 2016

(28 Mar 2016, 11:52 am)JakeSavage Looking at stagecoach's twitter, only Sunderland were reporting heavy passenger demand. And we should bear in mind that on bank holidays all their main core routes are now running at 20 minutes, combining to run at 10 minute intervals on common sections, and also that the ecos are running to full weekday timetables (post 1030).

But why would there be an increase in traffic on the roads, if there wasn't a demand for people to get to places? Perhaps some people have taken the car instead, because they don't want to be waiting an hour between buses?

Most of us will be fully aware of the notice required to confirm services, but you wouldn't have a lesser service on a Saturday or Sunday if it's raining, so why a bank holiday?

GNE reported that one of their 21s was running 43 minutes late at one point. That's a bit more than traffic congestion right there. Another from just now: 

"Go North East
1 hr ·
Due to severe congestion on market lane, 45/46, 49/49a V8 and 6 services are operating via the A1 into the Metro Centre"

(28 Mar 2016, 12:30 pm)Adrian But why would there be an increase in traffic on the roads, if there wasn't a demand for people to get to places? Perhaps some people have taken the car instead, because they don't want to be waiting an hour between buses?

Most of us will be fully aware of the notice required to confirm services, but you wouldn't have a lesser service on a Saturday or Sunday if it's raining, so why a bank holiday?

GNE reported that one of their 21s was running 43 minutes late at one point. That's a bit more than traffic congestion right there. Another from just now: 

"Go North East
1 hr ·
Due to severe congestion on market lane, 45/46, 49/49a V8 and 6 services are operating via the A1 into the Metro Centre"

60 min delays according to Michael's post in the GNE thread.

I wonder how many of those would have used public transport given the chance.

Bank Holiday Services - Jimmi - 28 Mar 2016

Pleased that Arriva Darlington depot have allocated Pulsar's to some services that normally use Solo's on a Sunday. The main one being service 8, just a pity that in typical fashion on its Sunday timetable the two buses are currently running 12 and 14 minutes late.

Enviro 400's are on the 7 today rather than the usual Sunday allocation of the Sapphire Pulsar's. Service 19 however has downsized from a Sapphire Pulsar to a Solo, but the 19 doesn't really get that busy, this allocation is a result of low hanging trees on the 19 route which deem the E400's unsuitable as the 19 interworks with the 7 on Sundays.

RE: Bank Holiday Services - Ambassador - 28 Mar 2016

The 21 has been completely hopeless today. My taxi driver was delighted mind.

I waited 35 minutes and not one turned up.

Just overtook one in Low Fell and it was completely full. Couldn't pick up at the Cannon.

Of course there's no demand and it's the traffic....

RE: Bank Holiday Services - tyresmoke - 28 Mar 2016

I worked Good Friday on the Metro buses and the contrast to today couldn't be more stark. I'm not sure whether you could throw too many resources to 'variable' destinations such as Whitley Bay which saw excessive demand on Friday. I did the same shift today as I did on Friday... 1049 and 1204 from Shiremoor ... Friday loaded 50 & 73 people, today those numbers were 16 & 14.
On Friday the Coaster buses were also struggling to cope with the loadings, they could have done with deckers allocating given the forecasted weather. Traffic problems were killing everything in and around Tynemouth & Whitley Bay on Friday while there were no such problems today.
Of course there is an argument for improved services although I would add only between 10-11 and 3-4 the main shopping times, outside of those times the cost would outweigh the revenue.

RE: Bank Holiday Services - L469 YVK - 28 Mar 2016

(28 Mar 2016, 8:18 pm)tyresmoke I worked Goiday on the Metro buses and the contrast to today couldn't be more stark. I'm not sure whether you could throw too many resources to 'variable' destinations such as Whitley Bay which saw excessive demand on Friday. I did the same shift today as I did on Friday... 1049 and 1204 from Shiremoor ... Friday loaded 50 & 73 people, today those numbers were 16 & 14.
On Friday the Coaster buses were also struggling to cope with the loadings, they could have done with deckers allocating given the forecasted weather. Traffic problems were killing everything in and around Tynemouth & Whitley Bay on Friday  while there were no such problems today.
Of course there is an argument for improved services although I would add only between 10-11 and 3-4 the main shopping times, outside of those times the cost would outweigh the revenue.

Perhaps not a full Monday to Saturday timetable is needed in most instances. Just a halfway house with a slightly reduced frequency and robust times would suffice enough. For example, the 306 / 308 could easily operate every 20 minutes each on Monday to Saturday timings using a PVR of 12 or 13 vehicles as opposed to the usual 17.

RE: Bank Holiday Services - L469 YVK - 01 May 2016

Right then, lets have a guessing game for Tomorrow predicting how late a service (or more if you so wish) is going to be.

Here's mine to get started:

- GNE Angel 21, 45 minute delays.

- GNE Red Arrows X1, 30 minute delays.

RE: Bank Holiday Services - Ambassador - 01 May 2016

(01 May 2016, 4:29 pm)DaveyBowyer Right then, lets have a guessing game for Tomorrow predicting how late a service (or more if you so wish) is going to be.

Here's mine to get started:

- GNE Angel 21, 45 minute delays.

- GNE Red Arrows X1, 30 minute delays.

It's the first Bank Hol since the addition of 1 into the Angel PVR for a Sunday.

Forecast doesn't look great which no doubt will affect Metrocentre routes

RE: Bank Holiday Services - BusLoverMum - 02 May 2016

We'll find out for ourselves since we've decided to not bother traipsing out all together, today.

Had the 59 to ourselves until a moment ago. Tis lovely.

RE: Bank Holiday Services - BusLoverMum - 02 May 2016

Well this will scupper timetables. There's been an incident on Percy Street. Loads of police and a security van under the bridge. Nexus putting signs up in Eldon Square bus station so I can't see it clearing any time soon.

RE: Bank Holiday Services - Michael - 02 May 2016

(02 May 2016, 10:32 am)BusLoverMum Well this will scupper timetables. There's been an incident on Percy Street. Loads of police and a security van under the bridge. Nexus putting signs up in Eldon Square bus station so I can't see it clearing any time soon.

NEXUS putting signs up?, wow this is new!

RE: Bank Holiday Services - omnicity4659 - 02 May 2016

What do the signs say?

RE: Bank Holiday Services - South Tyne Lad - 02 May 2016

Is Arriva operating a Sunday service today? I can't find any info on times for them.

RE: Bank Holiday Services - citaro5284 - 02 May 2016

(02 May 2016, 10:54 am)South Tyne Lad Is Arriva operating a Sunday service today? I can't find any info on times for them.

Yeah they are.