North East Buses
Bank Holiday Services - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Bank Holiday Services (/showthread.php?tid=1444)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Bank Holiday Services - South Tyne Lad - 02 May 2016

(02 May 2016, 10:59 am)citaro5284 Yeah they are.

Cheers Smile

RE: Bank Holiday Services - BusLoverMum - 02 May 2016

(02 May 2016, 10:46 am)GX03 SVC What do the signs say?

They say that buses will be diverted due to a RTC. Ain't no rtc with about 8 police vehicles and a security van.heart FM are. Referring to it as an incident rather than accident

Take a look at @HeartNENews's Tweet: https://twitter.com/HeartNENews/status/727077016420364288?s=09

RE: Bank Holiday Services - Ambassador - 02 May 2016

(02 May 2016, 10:34 am)Michael NEXUS putting signs up?, wow this is new!

To be fair nexus are very proactive in Eldon Square. As are GNE when there's an incident. They regularly update the digital boards with scrolling live info

RE: Bank Holiday Services - South Tyne Lad - 02 May 2016

(02 May 2016, 11:34 am)Ambassador To be fair nexus are very proactive in Eldon Square. As are GNE when there's an incident. They regularly update the digital boards with scrolling live info

I agree, Much more proactive than Park Lane in my experiences.

Bank Holiday Services - Jimmi - 30 May 2016

Noticed that Hodgsons Coaches were running their service 79 between Barnard Castle and Richmond today. I heard nothing suggesting that this service would be running today and it certainly showed as I saw it enter and leave Richmond Market Place with no passengers.

Not really certain how many passengers the services Dales & District ran today carried.

RE: Bank Holiday Services - L469 YVK - 03 Mar 2017

With Newcastle playing at home on Good Friday at 19:45, do you think the big three will consider operating a Saturday service with or without the Night Buses (in GNE's case) as a result of this?

Bearing in mind that it is also a Friday night and a lot of later journeys which normally run on a Friday / Saturday night (excluding night buses) or Monday to Saturday evening for that matter including some offering a more frequent service or running later than a Sunday evening.

Anything less than a Saturday service on Good Friday given the circumstances would be a disgrace in my opinion as buses would end up running stupidly late not only having to deal with high numbers coming out of the Town, but also high numbers going into the Town irrespective of the weather or sales etc.

RE: Bank Holiday Services - Michael - 03 Mar 2017

(03 Mar 2017, 10:54 pm)L469 YVK With Newcastle playing at home on Good Friday at 19:45, do you think the big three will consider operating a Saturday service with or without the Night Buses (in GNE's case) as a result of this?

Bearing in mind that it is also a Friday night and a lot of later journeys which normally run on a Friday / Saturday night  (excluding night buses) or Monday to Saturday evening for that matter including some offering a more frequent service or running later than a Sunday evening.

Anything less than a Saturday service on Good Friday given the circumstances would be a disgrace in my opinion as buses would end up running stupidly late not only having to deal with high numbers coming out of the Town, but also high numbers going into the Town irrespective of the weather or sales etc.

It'll be Sunday service because they'll be "no demand"... Haha

RE: Bank Holiday Services - L469 YVK - 03 Mar 2017

(03 Mar 2017, 10:59 pm)Michael
It'll be Sunday service because they'll be "no demand"... Haha

Well the controllers and spare drivers will certainly be in demand due to potential severe late running that's for sure and there'll be a LOT of angry passengers trying to get home on fewer services. For instance, the 21 normally has journeys at 21:42, 22:42 and 23:42 (Chester only) on a Monday to Saturday but it will end up with 5x bus loads of passengers trying to get onto 2x services at 22:12 and 23:12.

RE: Bank Holiday Services - Andreos1 - 04 Mar 2017

(03 Mar 2017, 10:54 pm)L469 YVK With Newcastle playing at home on Good Friday at 19:45, do you think the big three will consider operating a Saturday service with or without the Night Buses (in GNE's case) as a result of this?

Bearing in mind that it is also a Friday night and a lot of later journeys which normally run on a Friday / Saturday night  (excluding night buses) or Monday to Saturday evening for that matter including some offering a more frequent service or running later than a Sunday evening.

Can't see anything changing myself, but happy being proven wrong.

How far is Easter off now - 6 weeks?

RE: Bank Holiday Services - Ambassador - 05 Mar 2017

One hopes that they'll chase the obvious money on offer (they normally do)

Or even Newcastle may fund transport....or north east bus companies enter the 21st century

RE: Bank Holiday Services - L469 YVK - 28 Mar 2017

ABSOLUTELY STUPID OR WHAT!

SUNDAY SERVICE ON THE DAY OF SATURDAY LEVELS OF PASSENGERS PLUS ONE OF THE BIGGEST FOOTBALL MATCHES OF THE SEASON?????????????

Eldon Square will be chaos; control room will be mental and there'll be plenty of buses with "NOT IN SERVICE" kicking about with 30 - 60 min delays.

From GNE Website:
Good Friday - 14 April

The majority of services will run to Sunday timetables.

21 - Sunday timetable, with the 11.12pm Durham Bus Station to Chester-le-Street journey extended to Newcastle Pilgrim Street.
49, 49A & 49C - will run to a special timetable.
AD122 - starts running from 14 April, find out how you can explore Hadrian's Wall Country with us.
N20/N21 - on Good Friday night / Saturday morning, the services will run the normal Night Bus timetable.
N56 - this service is cancelled on Good Friday.
X66 - will run to a special timetable.
X88 - will run to a special timetable.
All other services will run to Sunday timetables.

RE: Bank Holiday Services - Michael - 28 Mar 2017

(28 Mar 2017, 7:46 pm)L469 YVK ABSOLUTELY STUPID OR WHAT!

SUNDAY SERVICE ON THE DAY OF SATURDAY LEVELS OF PASSENGERS PLUS ONE OF THE BIGGEST FOOTBALL MATCHES OF THE SEASON?????????????

Eldon Square will be chaos; control room will be mental and there'll be plenty of buses with "NOT IN SERVICE" kicking about with 30+ delays.

From GNE Website:
Good Friday - 14 April

The majority of services will run to Sunday timetables.

21 - Sunday timetable, with the 11.12pm Durham Bus Station to Chester-le-Street journey extended to Newcastle Pilgrim Street.
49, 49A & 49C - will run to a special timetable.
AD122 - starts running from 14 April, find out how you can explore Hadrian's Wall Country with us.
N20/N21 - on Good Friday night / Saturday morning, the services will run the normal Night Bus timetable.
N56 - this service is cancelled on Good Friday.
X66 - will run to a special timetable.
X88 - will run to a special timetable.
All other services will run to Sunday timetables.

Stagecoach and Arriva will probables be the same soo it'll not just be "Go North East"...

(28 Mar 2017, 7:52 pm)Michael Stagecoach and Arriva will probables be the same soo it'll not just be "Go North East"...

Well the same goes for them too!

RE: Bank Holiday Services - Adrian - 28 Mar 2017

Lets not forget that the Newcastle game was only moved to Friday at the start of this month, which doesn't give the operators much scope to change shifts to add extra duties in. 

The police actually asked for this game to be moved back in February, but the league refused, despite it clashing with Sunderland at home to West Ham on the Saturday. Funny how they can move it when megabucks Sky come running along with money. 

At least moving it back in February would have allowed for some scope to plan duties.

RE: Bank Holiday Services - Ambassador - 28 Mar 2017

It's amazing how bus companies up here do not learn at all on peak routes. With record high temps forecast there'll be more folk about.

The 21 hasn't coped for the past 2 years on every Bank Holiday. So they continue doing as they are. Completely oblivious to the world around them. And showing absolutely no forward thinking and complete and total disregard for their customers, who lets be honest, if there was competition would happily jump on a rival.

I don't even attempt to use a bus on a Bank Hol, I'd rather pay a premium and take a taxi.

RE: Bank Holiday Services - James101 - 28 Mar 2017

[quote pid='195967' dateline='1490731765']

At least moving it back in February would have allowed for some scope to plan duties.
[/quote]

If it takes a month to plan a roster I'd guess GNE need a better scheduling department...

RE: Bank Holiday Services - Dan - 28 Mar 2017

(28 Mar 2017, 10:06 pm)James101 [quote pid='195967' dateline='1490731765']

If it takes a month to plan a roster I'd guess GNE need a better scheduling department...
[/quote]

The process in general - planning the routes, inputting them into various systems, scheduling them, ensuring shifts are legal, etc etc - would probably last this amount of time (if not more) industry-wide. Or at least this would be the case for larger operators. Not just Go North East.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

RE: Bank Holiday Services - BusLoverMum - 28 Mar 2017

(28 Mar 2017, 8:48 pm)Ambassador It's amazing how  bus companies up here do not learn at all on peak routes. With record high temps forecast there'll be more folk about.

The 21 hasn't coped for the past 2 years on every Bank Holiday. So they continue doing as they are.  Completely oblivious to the world around them. And showing absolutely no forward thinking and complete and total disregard for their customers, who lets be honest, if there was competition would happily jump on a rival.

I don't even attempt to use a bus on a Bank Hol, I'd rather pay a premium and  take a taxi.

Big'un refuses to contemplate Bank holiday buses, now - mostly because our local service gets hammered by Dalton Park traffic and is often a no show, which is rather crap for an hourly service. It would be less of a concern if Arriva provided any information at all other than the app that the bus you're waiting on simply disappears from, with no reason given or available. Not that their social media staff have any clue when they are at work. Last time I asked where a bus had got to and when could I expect it, I got a reply several hours later saying it had got stuck in heavy traffic. Not helpful.

RE: Bank Holiday Services - James101 - 28 Mar 2017

(28 Mar 2017, 10:11 pm)Dan If it takes a month to plan a roster I'd guess GNE need a better scheduling department...

Massive opportunity for effieciency here then - though they seem to manage when emergency tenders for metro etc come up

(28 Mar 2017, 10:11 pm)Dan If it takes a month to plan a roster I'd guess GNE need a better scheduling department...

The process in general - planning the routes, inputting them into various systems, scheduling them, ensuring shifts are legal, etc etc - would probably last this amount of time (if not more) industry-wide. Or at least this would be the case for larger operators. Not just Go North East.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
[/quote]

But when the fixture got confirmed earlier this month, could arrangements not have been put in place for all Newcastle services?

Not having this out with you Dan btw and have already said the same to Customer Services.

But on what could potentially be the busiest one to date, it's going to end up seeing vuses being packed and running stupidly late with services needing to be regulated and passengers affected. And if anyting kicks off in the afternoon, there'll be no recivery time heading back towards Newcastle as there'll be people needing to get to the match.