North East Buses
Coast Road - Matchday services for evening kick offs - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Coast Road - Matchday services for evening kick offs (/showthread.php?tid=4063)

Pages: 1 2 3

Coast Road - Matchday services for evening kick offs - L469 YVK - 30 Jul 2022

Posting in here as it applies to both GNE & Arriva.

But the number of services along the Coast Road after an NUFC evening kick off is simply not enough. Before March 2020, there was........

Arriva:
- 2x 306 per hour
- 2x 308 per hour

GNE:
- 1x 309 per hour
- 1x 310 per hour
- 2x 57 per hour (until Jan 2020)
- 1x 311 per hour (after Jan 2020)

Now it's only 4x services per hour in total (not including the 51)

Now fair enough, I wouldn't expect either operator to regularly run the levels they did pre-covid but on match nights, surely a DVSA registration for such events could be made for extra journeys even if for the timebeing (given driver shortages) sub-contracing to JH or Stanley.

RE: Coast Road - Matchday services for evening kick offs - Storx - 30 Jul 2022

(30 Jul 2022, 9:05 pm)L469 YVK Posting in here as it applies to both GNE & Arriva.

But the number of services along the Coast Road after an NUFC evening kick off is simply not enough. Before March 2020, there was........

Arriva:
- 2x 306 per hour
- 2x 308 per hour

GNE:
- 1x 309 per hour
- 1x 310 per hour

Now fair enough, I wouldn't expect either operator to regularly run the levels they did pre-covid but on match nights, surely a DVSA registration for such events could be made for extra journeys even if for the timebeing (given driver shortages) sub-contracing to JH or Stanley.

Not trying to be funny but how many buses do you want along there. It's more than enough imo. Not to mention there's the Metro 4x an hour aswell covering a large area of the outer areas.

Old Durham Road has 2 buses an hour
Durham Road has 3 buses an hour ignoring the 28B
Consett has 1 bus an hour

They should be all higher priority.

RE: Coast Road - Matchday services for evening kick offs - mb134 - 30 Jul 2022

(30 Jul 2022, 9:05 pm)L469 YVK Posting in here as it applies to both GNE & Arriva.

Arriva:
- 2x 306 per hour
- 2x 308 per hour

GNE:
- 1x 309 per hour
- 1x 310 per hour

No need for a DVSA registration - simply dupe the current runs if demand is sufficient. They definitely wouldn't sub-contract.

Jesmond ran dupes, as far as I could tell, on the GNR services last night, with Ashington running an extra X21, and I think Blyth had an extra X11. The queue for the 306/308 stretched out of Haymarket at 22:00, after the 21:42 306 had left full, but could probably be cleared in a full bus load - and if the supervisor noticed it was out of hand I'm sure would have duped the 306 rather than the 44/45. As a comparison, I caught the duped 43 home which didn't start to empty until after Regent Centre having left more than a full stand of people behind - for many of those folks there is no Metro/GNE alternative.

RE: Coast Road - Matchday services for evening kick offs - L469 YVK - 30 Jul 2022

But didn't GNE used to run match night extras on the likes of the 21, 58, 97 etc?

RE: Coast Road - Matchday services for evening kick offs - Andreos1 - 30 Jul 2022

(30 Jul 2022, 10:46 pm)L469 YVK But didn't GNE used to run match night extras on the likes of the 21, 58, 97 etc?
Definitely ran the X10 later in the evening for late kick offs. 
Gonna be fun on a Sunday now they're running every 2 hours!

Coast Road - Matchday services for evening kick offs - Dan - 31 Jul 2022

(30 Jul 2022, 10:51 pm)Andreos1 Definitely ran the X10 later in the evening for late kick offs. 
Gonna be fun on a Sunday now they're running every 2 hours!

Didn’t the extra ones usually operate as far as Peterlee, where there is still an hourly service on a Sunday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Coast Road - Matchday services for evening kick offs - Rob44 - 31 Jul 2022

(30 Jul 2022, 9:20 pm)Storx Not trying to be funny but how many buses do you want along there. It's more than enough imo. Not to mention there's the Metro 4x an hour aswell covering a large area of the outer areas.

Old Durham Road has 2 buses an hour
Durham Road has 3 buses an hour ignoring the 28B
Consett has 1 bus an hour

They should be all higher priority.

Why??? Sad

RE: Coast Road - Matchday services for evening kick offs - Storx - 31 Jul 2022

(31 Jul 2022, 6:43 am)Rob44 Why??? Sad

No reason really, the 51 was omitted along the Coast Road so if you discounted that then the 28B had to go, they're pretty much the same.

Mind I'm not sure why it's called the 28B when it's not the 28 anymore anyway at all. It should be the 29 or 29A imo is another thing.

RE: Coast Road - Matchday services for evening kick offs - Rob44 - 31 Jul 2022

(31 Jul 2022, 7:31 am)Storx No reason really, the 51 was omitted along the Coast Road so if you discounted that then the 28B had to go, they're pretty much the same.

Mind I'm not sure why it's called the 28B when it's not the 28 anymore anyway at all. It should be the 29 or 29A imo is another thing.
no bother. It gives me a laugh when it passes all those wafting at gateshead for the 21 as it fly's past to CLS with only me and the crocodile on. Its like a taxi, but only bigger and a less talkative driver!

RE: Coast Road - Matchday services for evening kick offs - Andreos1 - 31 Jul 2022

(31 Jul 2022, 4:32 am)Dan Didn’t the extra ones usually operate as far as Peterlee, where there is still an hourly service on a Sunday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://images-gonortheast.passenger-website.com/downloads/NUFC%20-%20Timetables%20for%20Evening%20Buses%202022-23.pdf

These late ones as an example.

RE: Coast Road - Matchday services for evening kick offs - Ambassador - 01 Aug 2022

(31 Jul 2022, 11:37 pm)Andreos1 https://images-gonortheast.passenger-website.com/downloads/NUFC%20-%20Timetables%20for%20Evening%20Buses%202022-23.pdf

These late ones as an example.
Can't imagine they'll come back, the dead run back to Riverside wouldn't be worth it unless Washington ran it.

Mind, it was utter chaos too and from the match on Saturday and that was just a friendly.

RE: Coast Road - Matchday services for evening kick offs - Adrian - 01 Aug 2022

(01 Aug 2022, 8:13 am)Ambassador Can't imagine they'll come back, the dead run back to Riverside wouldn't be worth it unless Washington ran it.

Mind, it was utter chaos too and from the match on Saturday and that was just a friendly.

Friday too, by all accounts. That's of course with most of Level 7 closed.

Add another 6k-12k fans to that equation with the sell-outs against Forrest and Man City over the next few weekends.

RE: Coast Road - Matchday services for evening kick offs - Andreos1 - 01 Aug 2022

(01 Aug 2022, 8:13 am)Ambassador Can't imagine they'll come back, the dead run back to Riverside wouldn't be worth it unless Washington ran it.

And yet the operators are somehow surprised when traffic causes issues with the services which are running... Or insist on banging the drum for more bus priority measures.

I think it was Storx who said that operators have failed if traffic causes issues and delays and they can't get people to make the modal switch OR have been people make the modal switch back from public transport.
Storx is 100% correct.
Quite why the MD of an operator is publically (but probably unconsciously) admitting his methods to grow the business has failed, is anyones guess. 

If our Daniel is sitting ready to play Andreos1 Bingo, he might get a line here... 
Titivations, paint jobs, tables and WiFi clearly haven't made the impact operators thought they would. I think that's more clear now than it ever has been. 
Blaming Covid doesn't wash. Neither does pointing at the Governments lack of funding/communications during Covid/insert other accusation as suits. 
Sticking with a stagnant network that is essentially the same as the one on the wall in Beamish Museum isn't working.

Let's look at something that's radical and different. Let's be proactive. Let's work with employers, car users and existing passengers to discuss these changing travel patterns operators keep mentioning - but are seemingly doing very little about other than reducing frequencies and culling routes. 
* Where are the morning peaks?
* What flow do we have and what impact does other road traffic at pinch points heading in other directions have on services?
* Are there services that are going to places in other directions to our buses and if we don't have services to/from those places - what can we do to ensure we take those cars off the road?
* Ditto PM peaks (and the utter bizarre frequencies during the day when passenger numbers are logically at their lowest).
* What can be done to ensure 52,000 people coming out of SJP or 40,000 coming out of the SOL are accommodated via public transport - regardless of the time of the final whistle? just to make sure I stick to Daveys original idea for the thread
* Are there different travel patterns on different days of the week that need to be included in commercial teams thinking? 
* How can operators work together to ensure passengers can complete a journey, regardless of time of day, contract etc
* What will elastic and inelastic passengers be prepared to accept so that perceptions of fares, journey times and comfort are met or exceeded? 

The internal factors should be worked on as well, so that second tranche of leavers MG mentioned are the last.
Utilising and managing the resource (vehicle, driver and effective timetabling) well is undoubtedly key.

If they don't look at any of these things in detail (and I'm sure there's many more to look at), nothing is going to get better. 
It's as simple as that. These operators need to take some ownership and responsibility.

(01 Aug 2022, 10:39 am)Andreos1 And yet the operators are somehow surprised when traffic causes issues with the services which are running... Or insist on banging the drum for more bus priority measures.

I think it was Storx who said that operators have failed if traffic causes issues and delays and they can't get people to make the modal switch OR have been people make the modal switch back from public transport.
Storx is 100% correct.
Quite why the MD of an operator is publically (but probably unconsciously) admitting his methods to grow the business has failed, is anyones guess. 

If our Daniel is sitting ready to play Andreos1 Bingo, he might get a line here... 
Titivations, paint jobs, tables and WiFi clearly haven't made the impact operators thought they would. I think that's more clear now than it ever has been. 
Blaming Covid doesn't wash. Neither does pointing at the Governments lack of funding/communications during Covid/insert other accusation as suits. 
Sticking with a stagnant network that is essentially the same as the one on the wall in Beamish Museum isn't working.

Let's look at something that's radical and different. Let's be proactive. Let's work with employers, car users and existing passengers to discuss these changing travel patterns operators keep mentioning - but are seemingly doing very little about other than reducing frequencies and culling routes. 
* Where are the morning peaks?
* What flow do we have and what impact does other road traffic at pinch points heading in other directions have on services?
* Are there services that are going to places in other directions to our buses and if we don't have services to/from those places - what can we do to ensure we take those cars off the road?
* Ditto PM peaks (and the utter bizarre frequencies during the day when passenger numbers are logically at their lowest).
* What can be done to ensure 52,000 people coming out of SJP or 40,000 coming out of the SOL are accommodated via public transport - regardless of the time of the final whistle? just to make sure I stick to Daveys original idea for the thread
* Are there different travel patterns on different days of the week that need to be included in commercial teams thinking? 
* How can operators work together to ensure passengers can complete a journey, regardless of time of day, contract etc
* What will elastic and inelastic passengers be prepared to accept so that perceptions of fares, journey times and comfort are met or exceeded? 

The internal factors should be worked on as well, so that second tranche of leavers MG mentioned are the last.
Utilising and managing the resource (vehicle, driver and effective timetabling) well is undoubtedly key.

If they don't look at any of these things in detail (and I'm sure there's many more to look at), nothing is going to get better. 
It's as simple as that. These operators need to take some ownership and responsibility.

I know Sunderland don't have theirs anymore, but regarding the bit in bold, I wonder why this is so difficult for Newcastle? I'm assuming a large proportion of fans, who also use public transport, are Magpie Mover ticket holders. If that is the case, then Network One have post codes along with the number of tickets in circulation? Why not actually do something with this data, and look to plan match day services around it?

Of course, the added difficulty at the minute, is that there's not a day that goes by without masses of service cancellations. If you've only got X number of drivers to go around, then you're impacting service work elsewhere to put on these extra buses. I can't imagine there being a huge influx of volunteers for overtime or rest day working, when there's a football match on. 

But if/when the driver situation is sorted out, they really should be looking at this data more closely.

RE: Coast Road - Matchday services for evening kick offs - Andreos1 - 01 Aug 2022

(01 Aug 2022, 11:05 am)Adrian I know Sunderland don't have theirs anymore, but regarding the bit in bold, I wonder why this is so difficult for Newcastle? I'm assuming a large proportion of fans, who also use public transport, are Magpie Mover ticket holders. If that is the case, then Network One have post codes along with the number of tickets in circulation? Why not actually do something with this data, and look to plan match day services around it?

Of course, the added difficulty at the minute, is that there's not a day that goes by without masses of service cancellations. If you've only got X number of drivers to go around, then you're impacting service work elsewhere to put on these extra buses. I can't imagine there being a huge influx of volunteers for overtime or rest day working, when there's a football match on. 

But if/when the driver situation is sorted out, they really should be looking at this data more closely.
The data has existed as long as Magpie Mover has existed. It will obviously evolve slightly from season to season, but I don't imagine there will be a sudden drop off in one post code area and massive increase in another.
It was there well before the current driver situation.

I genuinely don't know why someone, somewhere hasn't looked at it and done something productive with it. Whether it be data from the clubs or as you say, Network Ticketing.

I get there may be GDPR concerns, but a quick disclaimer relating to using the data for route planning will be easy enough to introduce.
This is information that can be used in a manner that helps the balance sheet and increases customer satisfaction. Everyone is a winner. Surely?

RE: Coast Road - Matchday services for evening kick offs - Storx - 01 Aug 2022

(01 Aug 2022, 11:17 am)Andreos1 The data has existed as long as Magpie Mover has existed. It will obviously evolve slightly from season to season, but I don't imagine there will be a sudden drop off in one post code area and massive increase in another.

I genuinely don't know why someone, somewhere hasn't looked at it and done something productive with it. Whether it be data from the clubs or as you say, Network Ticketing.

I get there may be GDPR concerns, but a quick disclaimer relating to using the data for route planning will be easy enough to introduce.
This is information that can be used in a manner that helps the balance sheet and increases customer satisfaction. Everyone is a winner. Surely?

From a Sunderland ST holder point of view, it's a hard one to crack but ideally what is needed is some form of transport which stops outside of the ground which takes people to a decent P&R site outside the city for next to nothing subsidised by the clubs.

There's not really any alternative for us other than drive and parking in the streets then getting stuck for 10-15 minutes heading North and it's the same for those heading from the South.

I don't really expect any direct public transport from where I live either (SE Northumberland) so it would have to be some form of half way house but being dead honest you probably won't change us over whatever happens but I certainly wouldn't get on a bus which does the same traffic as the car as what's the point.

Multiply that with fans from every single Durham Pit Village, Ashington, Gateshead etc then you see where the problems start.

For Southern Sunderland fans there ideally needs to be some P&R at South Hylton and Ryhope which people can park at and get the Metro / Shuttle Train (Ryhope). They'd be handy for parking anyway for the city all week anyway.

Northern fans like us it's more difficult as the Metro is already slammed heading North so not sure what you could do but tbh the traffic heading North isn't too bad anyway. GNE having single deckers on the 24 at Crush Load (we passed one) on a 30 minute frequency doesn't help though mind.

RE: Coast Road - Matchday services for evening kick offs - Unber43 - 01 Aug 2022

(01 Aug 2022, 1:38 pm)Storx From a Sunderland ST holder point of view, it's a hard one to crack but ideally what is needed is some form of transport which stops outside of the ground which takes people to a decent P&R site outside the city for next to nothing subsidised by the clubs.

There's not really any alternative for us other than drive and parking in the streets then getting stuck for 10-15 minutes heading North and it's the same for those heading from the South.

I don't really expect any direct public transport from where I live either (SE Northumberland) so it would have to be some form of half way house but being dead honest you probably won't change us over whatever happens but I certainly wouldn't get on a bus which does the same traffic as the car as what's the point.

Multiply that with fans from every single Durham Pit Village, Ashington, Gateshead etc then you see where the problems start.

For Southern Sunderland fans there ideally needs to be some P&R at South Hylton and Ryhope which people can park at and get the Metro / Shuttle Train (Ryhope). They'd be handy for parking anyway for the city all week anyway.

Northern fans like us it's more difficult as the Metro is already slammed heading North so not sure what you could do but tbh the traffic heading North isn't too bad anyway. GNE having single deckers on the 24 at Crush Load (we passed one) on a 30 minute frequency doesn't help though mind.
That caused a 40 minute delay, making the 61A late, cauing it to go out of service - interworking of vehicles from a large amount of services never end well. 

You could have a Park & Ride from Park Lane to Stadium of Light

RE: Coast Road - Matchday services for evening kick offs - Storx - 01 Aug 2022

(01 Aug 2022, 1:45 pm)Unber43 That caused a 40 minute delay, making the 61A late, cauing it to go out of service - interworking of vehicles from a large amount of services never end well. 

You could have a Park & Ride from Park Lane to Stadium of Light

Not really any need for that, it would be quicker to walk because of the traffic caused by people walking out the ground, especially when the new footbridge is built. Most people park in the streets over that way already anyway and the traffic problems are often further out, Chester Road and Wessington Way are particularly bad.

The catch 22 is the Durham Coast Line is an absolute shambles after the match aswell which forces people into cars. Quite often they have a single Class 156 on and it's crush load by Seaton Carew heading North as it's a busy line without the football traffic added to it. It's even worse after the game. There's constantly people winging about it.

Buses sadly aren't the answer for the matches imo bar actually having enough capacity on the buses which already exist as everyone comes from everywhere so you could never serve > 30% of us at least.

(01 Aug 2022, 11:17 am)Andreos1 The data has existed as long as Magpie Mover has existed. It will obviously evolve slightly from season to season, but I don't imagine there will be a sudden drop off in one post code area and massive increase in another.

The only GDPR concerns would be from someone who doesn't understand GDPR, though I appreciate that it's sadly far too common and it has become something that organisations hide behind. The only data required would be the (even partial) postcodes and numbers of holders in each area. There's no personal data there - it'd be impossible to identify individuals from it.

RE: Coast Road - Matchday services for evening kick offs - Unber43 - 01 Aug 2022

(01 Aug 2022, 1:59 pm)Storx Not really any need for that, it would be quicker to walk because of the traffic caused by people walking out the ground, especially when the new footbridge is built. Most people park in the streets over that way already anyway and the traffic problems are often further out, Chester Road and Wessington Way are particularly bad.

The catch 22 is the Durham Coast Line is an absolute shambles after the match aswell which forces people into cars. Quite often they have a single Class 156 on and it's crush load by Seaton Carew heading North as it's a busy line without the football traffic added to it. It's even worse after the game. There's constantly people winging about it.

Buses sadly aren't the answer for the matches imo bar actually having enough capacity on the buses which already exist as everyone comes from everywhere so you could never serve > 30% of us at least.
But you say chester road or wessington way, but surely a Park and Ride will get people to the Interchanges for their way to Chester Road?