North East Buses
Weather - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General off-topic chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Thread: Weather (/showthread.php?tid=748)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Weather - BusLoverMum - 12 Dec 2015

Brrr. I'm frozen through. Those streetlites are the coldest buses known to man (except in the height of summer)

Only took us 3 hours to get home from South Shields. Only an hour longer than it should have.

Pic taken 2 hours ago. Slushy in places, but pretty deep on the pavements. Slow going for the bus and we got pelted with snowballs in Shotton and Wheatley hill.
.jpg
snow.jpg
Size 2.82 MB / Downloads 21

RE: Weather - citaro5284 - 12 Dec 2015

(12 Dec 2015, 5:03 pm)Dan Can tell you work for a bus company coming out with that old chestnut... Turn it off then turn it back on again!  Big Grin

Aye you are right, but normally works for my Sky box  Tongue

RE: Weather - omnicity4659 - 12 Dec 2015

Its raining in Ershington.

(12 Dec 2015, 5:20 pm)citaro5284 Aye you are right, but normally works for my Sky box  Tongue

Works for most electronickery.

RE: Weather - DanPicken - 12 Dec 2015

(12 Dec 2015, 4:52 pm)Jimmi According to the Arriva Live Map earlier there was a 7 running around 105 minutes late! Mind it also said there were buses a few minutes away from Newton Aycliffe Town Centre for around 40 minutes!

Sky can't seem to get any signal, just been a blue screen since I came home an hour ago.

How on Earth did that happen?!
(12 Dec 2015, 5:03 pm)Dan Can tell you work for a bus company coming out with that old chestnut... Turn it off then turn it back on again!  Big Grin

Usually works.

RE: Weather - DanPicken - 12 Dec 2015

(12 Dec 2015, 4:52 pm)Jimmi According to the Arriva Live Map earlier there was a 7 running around 105 minutes late! Mind it also said there were buses a few minutes away from Newton Aycliffe Town Centre for around 40 minutes!

Sky can't seem to get any signal, just been a blue screen since I came home an hour ago.

There's one now 84L and another 89L and the 21 is 40L. The 16:20 X12 from Newcastle is 75L.

RE: Weather - Andreos1 - 12 Dec 2015

The weather saw to the diversion of X1's and X25's heading through Low Fell tonight.
Saw the X1 turning off the motorway at the Bowes Incline. Assume the X25 did the same.

6022 was looking very forlorn at the top of Blind Lane at about 1545.

RE: Weather - Jimmi - 12 Dec 2015

(12 Dec 2015, 6:20 pm)DanPicken There's one now 84L and another 89L and the 21 is 40L. The 16:20 X12 from Newcastle is 75L.

Saw a 21 running 50 odd minutes late earlier, many buses seem to be running excessively late. There has been some buses even getting stuck the snow has been that bad in parts of County Durham.

(12 Dec 2015, 6:20 pm)DanPicken There's one now 84L and another 89L and the 21 is 40L. The 16:20 X12 from Newcastle is 75L.

Arriva tweeted about the x12 and the 21a being held up and mentioned that they were having to regulate some services. The 22 from Sunderland was full of people wanting to get to Sedgefield as there was no sign of the x21. Apparently Sedgefield, ferryhill etc are pretty bad.

RE: Weather - Sidthebusbabe - 12 Dec 2015

Here in High Spen the snow has caught a few buses out too:

[Image: tgUlfj3.jpg]

(The photo was edited to look nice on my phone but it doesn't look the best on the computer, sorry!)

This Renown found itself stuck on the incline leaving High Spen (heading towards Chopwell) just metres away from another Stricken Renown. However, a Scania L94UB with Wright Solar bodywork (It may have been a B7RLE Eclipse) was able to power past the beleaguered Renown.

I think GNE's drivers deserve a pat on the back for their efforts today, I can't imagine it's an easy job driving buses in these conditions.

(12 Dec 2015, 6:56 pm)Sidthebusbabe Here in High Spen the snow has caught a few buses out too:

[Image: tgUlfj3.jpg]

(The photo was edited to look nice on my phone but it doesn't look the best on the computer, sorry!)

This Renown found itself stuck on the incline leaving High Spen (heading towards Chopwell) just metres away from another Stricken Renown. However, a Scania L94UB with Wright Solar bodywork (It may have been a B7RLE Eclipse) was able to power past the beleaguered Renown.

I think GNE's drivers deserve a pat on the back for their efforts today, I can't imagine it's an easy job driving buses in these conditions.

The streetlite on the 22 did a valiant job of getting up the hill (pictured above - there's much steeper sections of it) in our village. A good steady crawl. I think being a lightweight bus made the difference. Much as I was wishing for a nice hot E400 to have found its way onto the route, I don't think it would have made it. Husband's entertainment for the afternoon was people getting stuck and having to revise the way they were driving!

Looking through the pics on the Chrimicle website. (Er Chronicle, but I rather like my typo). Sheriff Hill looks quite the bus graveyard. Thinking on, glad we don't have Geminis locally!
http://i2.chroniclelive.co.uk/incoming/article10590157.ece/ALTERNATES/s1227b/JS78648356.jpg
http://i1.chroniclelive.co.uk/incoming/article10590158.ece/ALTERNATES/s1227b/JS78648363.jpg

Keeping on the subject of stuck buses, this is rather nice. Someone using a 4 by 4 to rescue passengers and take the poor driver a hot drink.
https://twitter.com/IncidentsTEES/status/675738730582249473

In contrast, there's floods around Hartlepool and East Cleveland - the Hartlepool situation not being helped by a burst water main on the A179.

RE: Weather - S813 FVK - 12 Dec 2015

(12 Dec 2015, 7:16 pm)BusLoverMum In contrast, there's floods around Hartlepool and East Cleveland - the Hartlepool situation not being helped by a burst water main on the A179.

Maybe Jimmi would have had trouble getting to the gig without the snow haha!

RE: Weather - MrFozz - 13 Dec 2015

Same with buses, most drivers I know, if they have a problem just turn it off and back on again [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

RE: Weather - BusLoverMum - 13 Dec 2015

(13 Dec 2015, 10:21 am)MrFozz Same with buses, most drivers I know, if they have a problem just turn it off and back on again [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Or give it a whack. Tends to be the go to fix for miscreant ticket machines.

RE: Weather - BusLoverMum - 26 Dec 2015

Well, Eva seems to have out done Desmond. Sad

The wear in Durham City has gone over again, but thankfully, it's more of an inconvenience than a disaster, unlike parts of York and Hebden Bridge and much of Lancashire and North Wales. 

And part of the M62 has collapsed into a sinkhole. I suspect that's going to be rather a pig to fix, over the next few weeks or even months.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/massive-sinkhole-appears-m62-after-10653157

Weather - Jimmi - 29 Dec 2015

What exactly is a 'snow squall'?

RE: Weather - Michael - 29 Dec 2015

(29 Dec 2015, 9:19 pm)Jimmi What exactly is a 'snow squall'?

From wiki:

snowsquall (or snow squall) is a sudden moderately heavy snow fall with blowing snow and strong, gusty surface winds. It is often referred to as a whiteout and is similar to a blizzard but is localized in time or in space andsnow accumulations may or may not be significant.

RE: Weather - BusLoverMum - 30 Dec 2015

(29 Dec 2015, 9:19 pm)Jimmi What exactly is a 'snow squall'?

What Michael said, but a squall in general is that bit, during the peak of a storm where you say oh sugar (or words to that effect) and back away from the window for a while because everything not tied down is hitting it accompanied by a lot of wet stuff.

Just been waiting for the 50 at the arnison centre. The wind whistling through the bus stop was like a child messing about with a recorder!

RE: Weather - BusLoverMum - 04 Jan 2016

Lots of reports of surface flooding, tonight.