Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Tyne Bridge Works 2023-27 (ish)

Tyne Bridge Works 2023-27 (ish)

Tyne Bridge Works 2023-27 (ish)

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Pages (6): Previous 13 4 5 6 Next
23 Dec 2023, 9:41 am
(23 Dec 2023, 8:33 am)Rob44 When is the park and ride site at the angel/birtley going to be ready... it would make sense for this to be sorted before anything is done with the bridge.  Plus this might just be my imagination but could they not build a temp bridge over the type to take the traffic for the closed one?

https://pathetic.org.uk/unbuilt/central_...st_bypass/

There would have been a permanent bridge if planners got their way back in the day!

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
23 Dec 2023, 9:41 am #61

(23 Dec 2023, 8:33 am)Rob44 When is the park and ride site at the angel/birtley going to be ready... it would make sense for this to be sorted before anything is done with the bridge.  Plus this might just be my imagination but could they not build a temp bridge over the type to take the traffic for the closed one?

https://pathetic.org.uk/unbuilt/central_...st_bypass/

There would have been a permanent bridge if planners got their way back in the day!

23 Dec 2023, 9:47 am
(23 Dec 2023, 9:41 am)Andreos1 https://pathetic.org.uk/unbuilt/central_...st_bypass/

interesting!  But if we were in Japan they would have had a temp bridge up now so the tyne bridge could be sorted!
Rob44
23 Dec 2023, 9:47 am #62

(23 Dec 2023, 9:41 am)Andreos1 https://pathetic.org.uk/unbuilt/central_...st_bypass/

interesting!  But if we were in Japan they would have had a temp bridge up now so the tyne bridge could be sorted!

23 Dec 2023, 9:57 am
(22 Dec 2023, 4:33 pm)L469 YVK Bus priority measures in Jesmond sound interesting. Maybe bus lane all the way from Corner House to the Punch Bowl? Or from Coast Road / Station Road?

Only thing I'll say........no one will ditch their cars unless an 'X' variant of the 308 similar to the old 44 is introduced!

Be an absolutely ridiculous idea so no doubt will happen. Might get some new record delays on the X7/X8 though while everyone attempts to rat run through South Gosforth. They're already regularly at 30 mins+ as it is.

I'm sure the 62/63 users will appreciate it aswell while they're sitting in queues along Chillingham Road and all the rest of the Byker / Walker services are ground to a halt over Byker Bridge.

Just clueless planning by clueless councillors but anything for their little trophy routes along the Coast Road in recent years.

Nexus / NECA / Transport North East / whatever name it is this week really need some adults with a transport background in the room. People take the piss out of the likes of Roger French but he'd do a much better job than the rubbish like Tobyn we've got up here who seems to be rewarded of failure by promotions.
Storx
23 Dec 2023, 9:57 am #63

(22 Dec 2023, 4:33 pm)L469 YVK Bus priority measures in Jesmond sound interesting. Maybe bus lane all the way from Corner House to the Punch Bowl? Or from Coast Road / Station Road?

Only thing I'll say........no one will ditch their cars unless an 'X' variant of the 308 similar to the old 44 is introduced!

Be an absolutely ridiculous idea so no doubt will happen. Might get some new record delays on the X7/X8 though while everyone attempts to rat run through South Gosforth. They're already regularly at 30 mins+ as it is.

I'm sure the 62/63 users will appreciate it aswell while they're sitting in queues along Chillingham Road and all the rest of the Byker / Walker services are ground to a halt over Byker Bridge.

Just clueless planning by clueless councillors but anything for their little trophy routes along the Coast Road in recent years.

Nexus / NECA / Transport North East / whatever name it is this week really need some adults with a transport background in the room. People take the piss out of the likes of Roger French but he'd do a much better job than the rubbish like Tobyn we've got up here who seems to be rewarded of failure by promotions.

23 Dec 2023, 11:25 am
(23 Dec 2023, 9:47 am)Rob44 interesting!  But if we were in Japan they would have had a temp bridge up now so the tyne bridge could be sorted!

If we were in Japan, any repairs or replacement would have more than likely happened well before now.

(23 Dec 2023, 9:57 am)Storx Be an absolutely ridiculous idea so no doubt will happen. Might get some new record delays on the X7/X8 though while everyone attempts to rat run through South Gosforth. They're already regularly at 30 mins+ as it is.

If certain individuals with a transport background (despite all their experience) got hold of Nexus, I dread to think what would happen!

Just look at what those individuals have done to some of the operators and routes across the region.

Experience counts for nothing when incompetence dominates and influences their decision making.

Andreos1
23 Dec 2023, 11:25 am #64

(23 Dec 2023, 9:47 am)Rob44 interesting!  But if we were in Japan they would have had a temp bridge up now so the tyne bridge could be sorted!

If we were in Japan, any repairs or replacement would have more than likely happened well before now.

(23 Dec 2023, 9:57 am)Storx Be an absolutely ridiculous idea so no doubt will happen. Might get some new record delays on the X7/X8 though while everyone attempts to rat run through South Gosforth. They're already regularly at 30 mins+ as it is.

If certain individuals with a transport background (despite all their experience) got hold of Nexus, I dread to think what would happen!

Just look at what those individuals have done to some of the operators and routes across the region.

Experience counts for nothing when incompetence dominates and influences their decision making.

23 Dec 2023, 11:36 am
(23 Dec 2023, 9:57 am)Storx Just clueless planning by clueless councillors but anything for their little trophy routes along the Coast Road in recent years..

Councillors don’t come up with highways solutions.

And what do councillors have to do with Coast Rd bus services?
ne14ne1
23 Dec 2023, 11:36 am #65

(23 Dec 2023, 9:57 am)Storx Just clueless planning by clueless councillors but anything for their little trophy routes along the Coast Road in recent years..

Councillors don’t come up with highways solutions.

23 Dec 2023, 11:41 am

2025 is the likely date when Costain hand the site back over. Its being used as their main compound until then

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
23 Dec 2023, 11:41 am #66

2025 is the likely date when Costain hand the site back over. Its being used as their main compound until then

23 Dec 2023, 11:58 am
(23 Dec 2023, 11:41 am)Ambassador 2025 is the likely date when Costain hand the site back over. Its being used as their main compound until then

when you say compound i would assume you meant the area opposite the angel of the north pub on longbank but i've been told its actually the other side of the A1, the birtley side and P&R will be expected to cross thr a167 at the" new"  traffic lights recently installed and wait for 3 x 21s to turn up at the smae time?
Rob44
23 Dec 2023, 11:58 am #67

(23 Dec 2023, 11:41 am)Ambassador 2025 is the likely date when Costain hand the site back over. Its being used as their main compound until then

when you say compound i would assume you meant the area opposite the angel of the north pub on longbank but i've been told its actually the other side of the A1, the birtley side and P&R will be expected to cross thr a167 at the" new"  traffic lights recently installed and wait for 3 x 21s to turn up at the smae time?

23 Dec 2023, 12:12 pm
(23 Dec 2023, 11:25 am)Andreos1 If certain individuals with a transport background (despite all their experience) got hold of Nexus, I dread to think what would happen!

In fairness would it actually be any worse...? I know we slag GNE off and that but let's be honest I wouldn't be too keen on investing up here if there's threats they're going to be took over every other week either.

What exactly has Nexus achieved in the past decade as I just see stinking failure.

Smartcard of any form - no
Public information website that actually works - no
Real time information at bus stops - no
Real time information on the internet without an app - no
Keeping projects on budget and well ran - no
Good communications on roadworks and issues with the Metro - no
Safe and secure Metro and bus stations - no
Failure to get the plans for the Ferry in time so the funding lapsed - yes
Wasting money on multiple white elephant P&R's - yes
Wasting money on 'art' - yes
Taking longer to refurbish a pedestrian tunnel than it did to build the thing, which still isn't complete - yes

I know they'll blame dom, dick and harry for all this but most the other PTE's have somehow managed to do all of the above under the same restraints, heck places like Manchester etc have had a smart card for over a decade now.

As much as the bus operators have their faults, we know they do, the local PTE really sets them up for failure aswell. We don't even have basics like spider diagrams for all the bus operators nowadays and there's no journey checker which actually works properly, the failings Rob were mentioning the other day about walking for 20 minutes is just ridiculous.

(23 Dec 2023, 11:36 am)ne14ne1 Councillors don’t come up with highways solutions.

Gannon is head of the JCTA or whatever it's called this week and councillors most certainly do control the highways, they approve them or not excluding the A1, A19 and A184/A194(M) in between. It's their budget and they're the ones keep wasting it on awful traffic light schemes which make it worse for everyone. The same schemes that Rome could be built quicker.
Storx
23 Dec 2023, 12:12 pm #68

(23 Dec 2023, 11:25 am)Andreos1 If certain individuals with a transport background (despite all their experience) got hold of Nexus, I dread to think what would happen!

In fairness would it actually be any worse...? I know we slag GNE off and that but let's be honest I wouldn't be too keen on investing up here if there's threats they're going to be took over every other week either.

What exactly has Nexus achieved in the past decade as I just see stinking failure.

Taking longer to refurbish a pedestrian tunnel than it did to build the thing, which still isn't complete - yes

I know they'll blame dom, dick and harry for all this but most the other PTE's have somehow managed to do all of the above under the same restraints, heck places like Manchester etc have had a smart card for over a decade now.

As much as the bus operators have their faults, we know they do, the local PTE really sets them up for failure aswell. We don't even have basics like spider diagrams for all the bus operators nowadays and there's no journey checker which actually works properly, the failings Rob were mentioning the other day about walking for 20 minutes is just ridiculous.

(23 Dec 2023, 11:36 am)ne14ne1 Councillors don’t come up with highways solutions.

Gannon is head of the JCTA or whatever it's called this week and councillors most certainly do control the highways, they approve them or not excluding the A1, A19 and A184/A194(M) in between. It's their budget and they're the ones keep wasting it on awful traffic light schemes which make it worse for everyone. The same schemes that Rome could be built quicker.

23 Dec 2023, 12:28 pm
(23 Dec 2023, 12:12 pm)Storx

Qualified transport and highway engineers design  them, not councillors.

“Awful traffic light schemes” are usually required to improve life for those with the highest priority in the transport hierarchy: pedestrians, cyclists and public transport users, because at the end of the day we need sustainable and active travel options to be more appealing. 
Speeding up and making private car journeys more attractive is the last thing we want.
ne14ne1
23 Dec 2023, 12:28 pm #69

(23 Dec 2023, 12:12 pm)Storx

Qualified transport and highway engineers design  them, not councillors.

“Awful traffic light schemes” are usually required to improve life for those with the highest priority in the transport hierarchy: pedestrians, cyclists and public transport users, because at the end of the day we need sustainable and active travel options to be more appealing. 
Speeding up and making private car journeys more attractive is the last thing we want.

23 Dec 2023, 12:43 pm
(23 Dec 2023, 12:28 pm)ne14ne1 Qualified transport and highway engineers design  them, not councillors.

What all those pedestrians that use travel along Sandy Lane? It's not about active travel, most these schemes are actively making public transport worse. The X7/X8 are now 30 minutes late most evenings and that is directly linked to the Sandy Lane works. There's absolutely no pedestrian travel around there.

Which 'active travel' scheme has improved travel for buses?

Gosforth High Street - no
Four Lane Ends - no
South Gosforth - no
Haymarket - no
Central station works - no
St James' Boulevard - no
Heworth - no

The time it takes for some of these works, would suggest they're going for the cheapest option going and you pay for what you get, some of the schemes are even damn right dangerous especially that roundabout near Miller and Carter which is way too tight.
Storx
23 Dec 2023, 12:43 pm #70

(23 Dec 2023, 12:28 pm)ne14ne1 Qualified transport and highway engineers design  them, not councillors.

What all those pedestrians that use travel along Sandy Lane? It's not about active travel, most these schemes are actively making public transport worse. The X7/X8 are now 30 minutes late most evenings and that is directly linked to the Sandy Lane works. There's absolutely no pedestrian travel around there.

Four Lane Ends - no
South Gosforth - no
Haymarket - no
St James' Boulevard - no
Heworth - no

The time it takes for some of these works, would suggest they're going for the cheapest option going and you pay for what you get, some of the schemes are even damn right dangerous especially that roundabout near Miller and Carter which is way too tight.

23 Dec 2023, 12:51 pm
Storx you make many great points on this forum but you have a bee in ya bonnet about NExus!!

Just a few from above... arnt pop cards going to be rolled out on all transport eventually. Granted its taken some time but i dont think its coinicdence that what nexus run complelte9 the metro) you can use the but PRIVATE bus companies dont? I mean i can use my day ticket on arrive services now when i buy it on GNE but cant on SCNE?? Maybe thats a lack of joined up thinking??

TBF some bus stops have this where i am ( low fell heworth, gateshead) sometimes they work sometimes they dont. I'd love it to be like Edingbough but once again the local authrity runs the bus ( near enough) up there and the first buses never seem to turn up at the time they should at my experience

Safe and secure - i've seen more security on the metro and in gateshead interchange recently - may if parents took so responsibility it wouldn't be needed so much

Others well you might have a point on art, the tunnel etc but your being very harsh. REMEMBER THEY RUN BUSES WHEN THE BIG 3 DONT WANT TO ANYMORE TOO!!
Rob44
23 Dec 2023, 12:51 pm #71

Storx you make many great points on this forum but you have a bee in ya bonnet about NExus!!

Just a few from above... arnt pop cards going to be rolled out on all transport eventually. Granted its taken some time but i dont think its coinicdence that what nexus run complelte9 the metro) you can use the but PRIVATE bus companies dont? I mean i can use my day ticket on arrive services now when i buy it on GNE but cant on SCNE?? Maybe thats a lack of joined up thinking??

TBF some bus stops have this where i am ( low fell heworth, gateshead) sometimes they work sometimes they dont. I'd love it to be like Edingbough but once again the local authrity runs the bus ( near enough) up there and the first buses never seem to turn up at the time they should at my experience

Safe and secure - i've seen more security on the metro and in gateshead interchange recently - may if parents took so responsibility it wouldn't be needed so much

Others well you might have a point on art, the tunnel etc but your being very harsh. REMEMBER THEY RUN BUSES WHEN THE BIG 3 DONT WANT TO ANYMORE TOO!!

23 Dec 2023, 2:03 pm
(23 Dec 2023, 11:58 am)Rob44 when you say compound i would assume you meant the area opposite the angel of the north pub on longbank but i've been told its actually the other side of the A1, the birtley side and P&R will be expected to cross thr a167 at the" new"  traffic lights recently installed and wait for 3 x 21s to turn up at the smae time?

It’s definitely the compound by Long Bank that they bought the land for and has been fully paved as a car parking space. It also directly links onto the Bowes Railway Path which is on an official cycle route (couldn’t tell you which one!)

Ambassador
23 Dec 2023, 2:03 pm #72

(23 Dec 2023, 11:58 am)Rob44 when you say compound i would assume you meant the area opposite the angel of the north pub on longbank but i've been told its actually the other side of the A1, the birtley side and P&R will be expected to cross thr a167 at the" new"  traffic lights recently installed and wait for 3 x 21s to turn up at the smae time?

It’s definitely the compound by Long Bank that they bought the land for and has been fully paved as a car parking space. It also directly links onto the Bowes Railway Path which is on an official cycle route (couldn’t tell you which one!)

23 Dec 2023, 2:10 pm
(23 Dec 2023, 2:03 pm)Ambassador It’s definitely the compound by Long Bank that they bought the land for and has been fully paved as a car parking space. It also directly links onto the Bowes Railway Path which is on an official cycle route (couldn’t tell you which one!)

Not according to the chronicle?

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...g-10875695

Its on the south side unless things have changed or my geography is off
Rob44
23 Dec 2023, 2:10 pm #73

(23 Dec 2023, 2:03 pm)Ambassador It’s definitely the compound by Long Bank that they bought the land for and has been fully paved as a car parking space. It also directly links onto the Bowes Railway Path which is on an official cycle route (couldn’t tell you which one!)

Not according to the chronicle?

23 Dec 2023, 2:50 pm
(23 Dec 2023, 12:43 pm)Storx What all those pedestrians that use travel along Sandy Lane? It's not about active travel, most these schemes are actively making public transport worse. The X7/X8 are now 30 minutes late most evenings and that is directly linked to the Sandy Lane works. There's absolutely no pedestrian travel around there.

Four Lane Ends - no
South Gosforth - no
Haymarket - no
St James' Boulevard - no
Heworth - no

You do realise bus passengers are pedestrians before they board and as soon as they alight and therefore widened pavements and light controlled crossings etc directly benefit their journeys to and from their bus stop. 
If you cannot get to and from your bus stop safely then the bus isn’t an attractive option.
The ‘first & last mile’ of journeys are important too.

Gosforth High Street - final scheme not yet implemented but bus lanes and loading restrictions have recently been introduced in the interim, and over recent years a simplified junction at Salters Rd/Church Rd has benefitted all users. 
Cycling infrastructure along Great North Road has made cycling safer and more attractive (especially for young people travelling to/from the numerous schools in the area).
Signalised junction replacing the sketchy roundabout at Regent Centre/Hollywood Ave has improved safety for all users.

Four Lane Ends - signalised junction replacing accident black spot roundabout has improved safety for all.
Widened pavements between FLE & Quorum have benefitted pedestrians & cyclists.
Additional bus lane recently introduced.

South Gosforth - Haddricks Mill plans were scaled back after the usual back lash from motorists but pedestrians have benefitted from some improved signalised crossings.

Haymarket - Widened pavements and widened signalised crossings have relieved pedestrian congestion & pinch points. 
Bus Priority lights on St Marys Place introduced along with a bus gate, widened pavements & cycling infrastructure on nearby John Dobson Street.

Central station works - still more phases ahead to move the taxi rank and short stay car park but in recent years pavements have been widened and the portico pedestrianised and glazed for a much improved passenger environment. 
Bus lane enforcement cameras also introduced.

St James' Boulevard - Bath Lane & Westmoreland Rd junctions. Improved pedestrian crossings & slightly tightened corners to improve safety.

Heworth - Signalised junction replacing the sketchy roundabout & crumbling bridges beneath, improving safety for bus and general traffic, and improved signalised pedestrian crossings nearby. 

Askew Road & surrounding Bridges Quarter - Bus priority measures, bus lane enforcement, widened pavements, widened & simplified pedestrian crossings, a bus shelter and cycling infrastructure all introduced along with removal of general traffic from some streets, promoting active and sustainable travel options.

The Miller & Carter roundabout will likely be that tight to purposely slow down drivers due to the now residential nature of the area and so that the drivers are less likely to speed up & run a red light, therefore improving safety.
ne14ne1
23 Dec 2023, 2:50 pm #74

(23 Dec 2023, 12:43 pm)Storx What all those pedestrians that use travel along Sandy Lane? It's not about active travel, most these schemes are actively making public transport worse. The X7/X8 are now 30 minutes late most evenings and that is directly linked to the Sandy Lane works. There's absolutely no pedestrian travel around there.

Four Lane Ends - no
South Gosforth - no
Haymarket - no
St James' Boulevard - no
Heworth - no

You do realise bus passengers are pedestrians before they board and as soon as they alight and therefore widened pavements and light controlled crossings etc directly benefit their journeys to and from their bus stop. 
If you cannot get to and from your bus stop safely then the bus isn’t an attractive option.

Gosforth High Street - final scheme not yet implemented but bus lanes and loading restrictions have recently been introduced in the interim, and over recent years a simplified junction at Salters Rd/Church Rd has benefitted all users. 
Cycling infrastructure along Great North Road has made cycling safer and more attractive (especially for young people travelling to/from the numerous schools in the area).
Signalised junction replacing the sketchy roundabout at Regent Centre/Hollywood Ave has improved safety for all users.

Four Lane Ends - signalised junction replacing accident black spot roundabout has improved safety for all.

South Gosforth - Haddricks Mill plans were scaled back after the usual back lash from motorists but pedestrians have benefitted from some improved signalised crossings.

Haymarket - Widened pavements and widened signalised crossings have relieved pedestrian congestion & pinch points. 
Bus Priority lights on St Marys Place introduced along with a bus gate, widened pavements & cycling infrastructure on nearby John Dobson Street.

Central station works - still more phases ahead to move the taxi rank and short stay car park but in recent years pavements have been widened and the portico pedestrianised and glazed for a much improved passenger environment. 

St James' Boulevard - Bath Lane & Westmoreland Rd junctions. Improved pedestrian crossings & slightly tightened corners to improve safety.

Heworth - Signalised junction replacing the sketchy roundabout & crumbling bridges beneath, improving safety for bus and general traffic, and improved signalised pedestrian crossings nearby. 

Askew Road & surrounding Bridges Quarter - Bus priority measures, bus lane enforcement, widened pavements, widened & simplified pedestrian crossings, a bus shelter and cycling infrastructure all introduced along with removal of general traffic from some streets, promoting active and sustainable travel options.

The Miller & Carter roundabout will likely be that tight to purposely slow down drivers due to the now residential nature of the area and so that the drivers are less likely to speed up & run a red light, therefore improving safety.

23 Dec 2023, 4:01 pm
Agreeing about pedestrian access making a big difference in choosing the bus. Living somewhere where I'm spoilt for choice for buses in various directions, crossing roads is often the clincher in which one I choose. I've just been to the Arnison centre and I have a choice of 9 buses an hour to get home again, not including the 50. I let a 20 go and caught the slower 64, behind it, to get home. Why? Because the 20 would have meant crossing a busy (busier than normal, today) road with no crossings to get to my house.
BusLoverMum
23 Dec 2023, 4:01 pm #75

Agreeing about pedestrian access making a big difference in choosing the bus. Living somewhere where I'm spoilt for choice for buses in various directions, crossing roads is often the clincher in which one I choose. I've just been to the Arnison centre and I have a choice of 9 buses an hour to get home again, not including the 50. I let a 20 go and caught the slower 64, behind it, to get home. Why? Because the 20 would have meant crossing a busy (busier than normal, today) road with no crossings to get to my house.

23 Dec 2023, 5:12 pm
Maybe they could have run buses in both directions over the High Level Bridge, obviously only in one direction at once.

Lights at both ends wouldn’t take longer than your average temporary roadworks, and they could ensure they were actively monitored, so you didn’t have buses waiting at one end when there was nothing coming the other way
Wybus
23 Dec 2023, 5:12 pm #76

Maybe they could have run buses in both directions over the High Level Bridge, obviously only in one direction at once.

Lights at both ends wouldn’t take longer than your average temporary roadworks, and they could ensure they were actively monitored, so you didn’t have buses waiting at one end when there was nothing coming the other way

23 Dec 2023, 9:42 pm
(23 Dec 2023, 2:50 pm)ne14ne1 You do realise bus passengers are pedestrians before they board and as soon as they alight and therefore widened pavements and light controlled crossings etc directly benefit their journeys to and from their bus stop. 

I have to disagree with some of these mind.

Heworth - Traffic problems worse, result there's now more rat running through the centre of Felling to avoid the thing it's that bad. An area which is a high pedestrian area, rather than a crossing which already had a subway.

Gateshead - The scheme is so ill thought, Bensham Road through to Team Valley is pretty much a car park all day, yet again another residential area.

Sandy Lane - The crossing are horrendous, you have to walk 200m to do 10m, result people mad dash across the road, also again, traffic issues have now resulted in Camperdown as a rat run, increasing traffic in places

St James' Boulvard - Severe traffic issues, again more rat running mostly around the Central area to avoid the traffic problems, an area much more busier than that junction.

Central Station - The new portico is horrid, that's an opinion though but it's shared by a lot. There's also an extremely dangerous no left turn some ignore which nearly results in pedestrians run over. They've also removed the old East bound route so buses no longer serve a reasonable bus stop outside the station and passengers have to travel a much further distance from the grim stops outside Shephards or The Mile Castle.

Miller & Carter - Making roundabouts tight to slow people down is damn right dangerous, the X7/X8 struggle to turn around there if there's a vehicle next to them, totally unacceptable on an suburban dual carriageway.

I'm by no means one of those people who think everything should be pro car but I'm also totally aware than cars can go wherever they want so if you start snarling up main roads, then they'll start rat running into places where cars really shouldn't be, past schools etc and that really causes problems. Gosforth High Street is in the state it is partially because of the mess at Cowgate anyway, another extremely poor scheme and it's a horrid place to cross there aswell as the timings are extremely slow so you just mad dash (and I've done it multiple times going from Morrisons to the chippy).

There's absolutely no planning, where the cars are meant to go. I'm all for active travel but you need to designate one main route for cars and keep it flowing. Beyond that get the active travel on the rat runs, whether that's through Wallsend, whether that's through Felling, whether that's through Gosforth, whether that's through Low Fell etc but right now that doesn't happen and it's placemeal here there and everywhere and a result there's traffic all over the place.

Credit to Sunderland as they're the only council which seems to have done that with Wessington Way, Durham Road, Newcastle Road or the new Hendon Bypass being the main roads and all 4 roads have been kept flowing the best they can and generally the city flows well really.
Storx
23 Dec 2023, 9:42 pm #77

(23 Dec 2023, 2:50 pm)ne14ne1 You do realise bus passengers are pedestrians before they board and as soon as they alight and therefore widened pavements and light controlled crossings etc directly benefit their journeys to and from their bus stop. 

I have to disagree with some of these mind.

Heworth - Traffic problems worse, result there's now more rat running through the centre of Felling to avoid the thing it's that bad. An area which is a high pedestrian area, rather than a crossing which already had a subway.

Gateshead - The scheme is so ill thought, Bensham Road through to Team Valley is pretty much a car park all day, yet again another residential area.

Sandy Lane - The crossing are horrendous, you have to walk 200m to do 10m, result people mad dash across the road, also again, traffic issues have now resulted in Camperdown as a rat run, increasing traffic in places

St James' Boulvard - Severe traffic issues, again more rat running mostly around the Central area to avoid the traffic problems, an area much more busier than that junction.

Central Station - The new portico is horrid, that's an opinion though but it's shared by a lot. There's also an extremely dangerous no left turn some ignore which nearly results in pedestrians run over. They've also removed the old East bound route so buses no longer serve a reasonable bus stop outside the station and passengers have to travel a much further distance from the grim stops outside Shephards or The Mile Castle.

Miller & Carter - Making roundabouts tight to slow people down is damn right dangerous, the X7/X8 struggle to turn around there if there's a vehicle next to them, totally unacceptable on an suburban dual carriageway.

I'm by no means one of those people who think everything should be pro car but I'm also totally aware than cars can go wherever they want so if you start snarling up main roads, then they'll start rat running into places where cars really shouldn't be, past schools etc and that really causes problems. Gosforth High Street is in the state it is partially because of the mess at Cowgate anyway, another extremely poor scheme and it's a horrid place to cross there aswell as the timings are extremely slow so you just mad dash (and I've done it multiple times going from Morrisons to the chippy).

There's absolutely no planning, where the cars are meant to go. I'm all for active travel but you need to designate one main route for cars and keep it flowing. Beyond that get the active travel on the rat runs, whether that's through Wallsend, whether that's through Felling, whether that's through Gosforth, whether that's through Low Fell etc but right now that doesn't happen and it's placemeal here there and everywhere and a result there's traffic all over the place.

Credit to Sunderland as they're the only council which seems to have done that with Wessington Way, Durham Road, Newcastle Road or the new Hendon Bypass being the main roads and all 4 roads have been kept flowing the best they can and generally the city flows well really.

23 Dec 2023, 11:37 pm
(23 Dec 2023, 5:12 pm)Wybus Maybe they could have run buses in both directions over the High Level Bridge, obviously only in one direction at once.

The bridge couldn’t handle the extra traffic, it’s why it went one way in the first place

(23 Dec 2023, 2:10 pm)Rob44 Not according to the chronicle?

That’s the old scheme, council realised Costain would do it for free as part of A1 works

Ambassador
23 Dec 2023, 11:37 pm #78

(23 Dec 2023, 5:12 pm)Wybus Maybe they could have run buses in both directions over the High Level Bridge, obviously only in one direction at once.

The bridge couldn’t handle the extra traffic, it’s why it went one way in the first place

(23 Dec 2023, 2:10 pm)Rob44 Not according to the chronicle?

That’s the old scheme, council realised Costain would do it for free as part of A1 works

24 Dec 2023, 9:43 am
(23 Dec 2023, 12:12 pm)Storx In fairness would it actually be any worse...? I know we slag GNE off and that but let's be honest I wouldn't be too keen on investing up here if there's threats they're going to be took over every other week either.

Some interesting points and I'm not sure I agree with all of them. 
They have the POP Card. 
However quite why there was no joined up or holistic approach when every Tom, Dick and Harry applied for the smart card funding, is anyones guess. 

As for the lack of operator investment because 'threats they're going to be taken over'.
Not sure what you mean by this? Operators make a loss, partly because they've not adapted networks to suit the changing passenger habits they keep telling us about.

The network is pretty much as is back in 86 when they gained control of them and there weren't business parks or out of town shopping, but there was plenty of town/city centre shopping/working and ship yards/pits.

40 years of looking after shareholders, being stuck in a rut, generational incompetence, habitual begging bowl collections, making cuts and clearly lacking the foresight to adapt has led to the rumours of LA/PTE control not just in the NE, but across the country.

If operators are worried about that, then that's on them. Not the LA or PTE.

Andreos1
24 Dec 2023, 9:43 am #79

(23 Dec 2023, 12:12 pm)Storx In fairness would it actually be any worse...? I know we slag GNE off and that but let's be honest I wouldn't be too keen on investing up here if there's threats they're going to be took over every other week either.

Some interesting points and I'm not sure I agree with all of them. 
They have the POP Card. 
However quite why there was no joined up or holistic approach when every Tom, Dick and Harry applied for the smart card funding, is anyones guess. 

As for the lack of operator investment because 'threats they're going to be taken over'.
Not sure what you mean by this? Operators make a loss, partly because they've not adapted networks to suit the changing passenger habits they keep telling us about.

The network is pretty much as is back in 86 when they gained control of them and there weren't business parks or out of town shopping, but there was plenty of town/city centre shopping/working and ship yards/pits.

40 years of looking after shareholders, being stuck in a rut, generational incompetence, habitual begging bowl collections, making cuts and clearly lacking the foresight to adapt has led to the rumours of LA/PTE control not just in the NE, but across the country.

If operators are worried about that, then that's on them. Not the LA or PTE.

24 Dec 2023, 12:20 pm
(23 Dec 2023, 9:42 pm)Storx Miller & Carter - Making roundabouts tight to slow people down is damn right dangerous, the X7/X8 struggle to turn around there if there's a vehicle next to them, totally unacceptable on an suburban dual carriageway.

I believe there is some talk of changes to that roundabout as there have been far too many accidents at it.

Also, regarding the Sandy Lane roundabout and the x7/x8. I believe it was suggested before the scheme was approved that they should have a bus gate down the back of Gosforth Park where the buses would turn left at the Miller and Carter roundabout and along the road by the garden centre to avoid getting caught in the traffic. Unfortunately while it would have been a great idea, Council planners didn't think it was necessary. I'm sure the commuters on the x7/x8 will disagree with that when they're delayed for 20 minutes in the traffic there.
Shrek
24 Dec 2023, 12:20 pm #80

(23 Dec 2023, 9:42 pm)Storx Miller & Carter - Making roundabouts tight to slow people down is damn right dangerous, the X7/X8 struggle to turn around there if there's a vehicle next to them, totally unacceptable on an suburban dual carriageway.

I believe there is some talk of changes to that roundabout as there have been far too many accidents at it.

Also, regarding the Sandy Lane roundabout and the x7/x8. I believe it was suggested before the scheme was approved that they should have a bus gate down the back of Gosforth Park where the buses would turn left at the Miller and Carter roundabout and along the road by the garden centre to avoid getting caught in the traffic. Unfortunately while it would have been a great idea, Council planners didn't think it was necessary. I'm sure the commuters on the x7/x8 will disagree with that when they're delayed for 20 minutes in the traffic there.

Pages (6): Previous 13 4 5 6 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average