Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Eighton Lodge Park And Ride

Eighton Lodge Park And Ride

Eighton Lodge Park And Ride

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2): Previous 1 2
Andreos1

09 Feb 2016, 2:58 pm #21
(09 Feb 2016, 12:42 pm)citaro5284 Park and Ride is now approved

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...l-10860988

I wonder if the expected income would be enhanced by tendering an express bus service?

As it stands it is an out of town car park as opposed to a park & ride.
I have seen nothing that states those parking at the facility would be better off rather than utlising spaces in Low Fell, Gateshead or Newcastle.

At least facilities in Durham and York offer the incentive of dedicated buses and integrated fares.
Edited 09 Feb 2016, 2:59 pm by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
09 Feb 2016, 2:58 pm #21

(09 Feb 2016, 12:42 pm)citaro5284 Park and Ride is now approved

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...l-10860988

I wonder if the expected income would be enhanced by tendering an express bus service?

I have seen nothing that states those parking at the facility would be better off rather than utlising spaces in Low Fell, Gateshead or Newcastle.

At least facilities in Durham and York offer the incentive of dedicated buses and integrated fares.

Adrian

09 Feb 2016, 7:27 pm #22
(09 Feb 2016, 2:58 pm)Andreos1 I wonder if the expected income would be enhanced by tendering an express bus service?

This scheme is massively presumptuous of the council. Almost a 'Park and nee Ride'. 

At this rate, there'd be nothing to stop the council blowing £8 million on the scheme, only for operators to stop serving the closest stops to the site. It'd then leave the council with a car park in the middle of nowhere. 

They're half expecting an operator to take on the commercial risk, but I don't know how they could expect that, when they'll have no figures or forecast? The word I keep hearing is 'hope', which I'm sure you'll agree is a lot different to 'fact'. I honestly can't see many motorists taking up a car parking fee and then a return fare to the town. It's a 30 minute bus journey plus a maximum wait of 8 minutes (during the day) for the bus.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
09 Feb 2016, 7:27 pm #22

(09 Feb 2016, 2:58 pm)Andreos1 I wonder if the expected income would be enhanced by tendering an express bus service?

This scheme is massively presumptuous of the council. Almost a 'Park and nee Ride'. 

At this rate, there'd be nothing to stop the council blowing £8 million on the scheme, only for operators to stop serving the closest stops to the site. It'd then leave the council with a car park in the middle of nowhere. 

They're half expecting an operator to take on the commercial risk, but I don't know how they could expect that, when they'll have no figures or forecast? The word I keep hearing is 'hope', which I'm sure you'll agree is a lot different to 'fact'. I honestly can't see many motorists taking up a car parking fee and then a return fare to the town. It's a 30 minute bus journey plus a maximum wait of 8 minutes (during the day) for the bus.

BusLoverMum

09 Feb 2016, 7:39 pm #23

Having that there will do nothing to change our usual park and ride spot, which is Heworth Metro. If we're going to trundle up Durham road on the 21, we'd rather catch it at Durham!

And surely it'd be more useful if a service to the metrocentre was laid on?
Edited 09 Feb 2016, 7:40 pm by BusLoverMum.
BusLoverMum
09 Feb 2016, 7:39 pm #23

Having that there will do nothing to change our usual park and ride spot, which is Heworth Metro. If we're going to trundle up Durham road on the 21, we'd rather catch it at Durham!

MurdnunoC

09 Feb 2016, 9:21 pm #24
My opinion hasn't changed. I still think Follingsby Park would make a better site for the same reasons I've listed in previous posts.
MurdnunoC
09 Feb 2016, 9:21 pm #24

My opinion hasn't changed. I still think Follingsby Park would make a better site for the same reasons I've listed in previous posts.

Ambassador

09 Feb 2016, 11:27 pm #25
So will the 21 loop around the roundabout and enter the park and ride? (yay, more delay time to the Angel!)

Or will customers be expected to cross Long Bank then a dual carrigeway to get to the bus stop just off Eighton Lodge?

If this barmy idea works (which it won't) I've been on peak 21s through Low Fell where they've filled up at the Cannon and not been able to pick up, surely adding more passengers will only further inconvenience those further down the line?

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
09 Feb 2016, 11:27 pm #25

So will the 21 loop around the roundabout and enter the park and ride? (yay, more delay time to the Angel!)

Or will customers be expected to cross Long Bank then a dual carrigeway to get to the bus stop just off Eighton Lodge?

If this barmy idea works (which it won't) I've been on peak 21s through Low Fell where they've filled up at the Cannon and not been able to pick up, surely adding more passengers will only further inconvenience those further down the line?

James101

10 Feb 2016, 12:05 am #26
Although already ruled out, a dedicated P&R would be more attractive to motorists.

I would imagine an express shuttle between metrocentre- Team Valley - P&R site - Quayside - Newcastle would carry enough passengers
James101
10 Feb 2016, 12:05 am #26

Although already ruled out, a dedicated P&R would be more attractive to motorists.

I would imagine an express shuttle between metrocentre- Team Valley - P&R site - Quayside - Newcastle would carry enough passengers

Ambassador

10 Feb 2016, 12:14 am #27
Just read the additional bus stop will be on Newcastle Bank...surely not feasible for the amount of peak time tailbacks on there

Ambassador
10 Feb 2016, 12:14 am #27

Just read the additional bus stop will be on Newcastle Bank...surely not feasible for the amount of peak time tailbacks on there

Andreos1

10 Feb 2016, 1:43 pm #28
(09 Feb 2016, 7:27 pm)Adrian This scheme is massively presumptuous of the council. Almost a 'Park and nee Ride'. 

(09 Feb 2016, 7:39 pm)BusLoverMum Having that there will do nothing to change our usual park and ride spot, which is Heworth Metro. If we're going to trundle up Durham road on the 21, we'd rather catch it at Durham!

I (and many others) often park in Low Fell and get the bus from there.
Up until a few years ago, the parking was free.
I often spend money in Low Fell either before I head in to the town or afterwards. I imagine others do too. This can be shopping, last minute bits for tea or snacks to keep me going during the day.

What incentive is there to encourage me (and others) to park at the angel?
I don't want to be hanging around waiting for a (inevitably delayed) 21 to then get stuck at the various sets of lights on Durham Road. 
I can park on Lowreys Lane and have a greater choice of services whilst sipping a lukewarm Greggs coffee.

On the way home, I can jump off a bus, dive into Herons for a frozen pizza and be home before it defrosts!

Andreos1
10 Feb 2016, 1:43 pm #28

(09 Feb 2016, 7:27 pm)Adrian This scheme is massively presumptuous of the council. Almost a 'Park and nee Ride'. 

(09 Feb 2016, 7:39 pm)BusLoverMum Having that there will do nothing to change our usual park and ride spot, which is Heworth Metro. If we're going to trundle up Durham road on the 21, we'd rather catch it at Durham!

I (and many others) often park in Low Fell and get the bus from there.
Up until a few years ago, the parking was free.
I often spend money in Low Fell either before I head in to the town or afterwards. I imagine others do too. This can be shopping, last minute bits for tea or snacks to keep me going during the day.

What incentive is there to encourage me (and others) to park at the angel?
I don't want to be hanging around waiting for a (inevitably delayed) 21 to then get stuck at the various sets of lights on Durham Road. 
I can park on Lowreys Lane and have a greater choice of services whilst sipping a lukewarm Greggs coffee.

On the way home, I can jump off a bus, dive into Herons for a frozen pizza and be home before it defrosts!

Michael

23 Feb 2016, 8:11 pm #29
Is this the same one?

Angel of the North park and ride: Everything you need to know about the scheme

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...r_facebook

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
23 Feb 2016, 8:11 pm #29

Is this the same one?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Adrian

23 Feb 2016, 8:17 pm #30
(23 Feb 2016, 8:11 pm)Michael Is this the same one?

It is, yes.

Adrian
23 Feb 2016, 8:17 pm #30

(23 Feb 2016, 8:11 pm)Michael Is this the same one?

It is, yes.

Michael

23 Feb 2016, 8:21 pm #31
(23 Feb 2016, 8:17 pm)Adrian It is, yes.

Cheers, i wasn't sure.

It sounds good, it would help a lot but would people use it?

Not sure on: 

From the bus stops to be built on Newcastle Bank, south of the A1 at Eighton Lodge, it will be possible to get to both Newcastle City Centre, Gateshead Town Centre and the Metrocentre.

Though there will be no special bus service for the park and ride as initially planned, Go North East and Arriva bus services already serving the route will pull into the new stop.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
23 Feb 2016, 8:21 pm #31

(23 Feb 2016, 8:17 pm)Adrian It is, yes.

Cheers, i wasn't sure.

It sounds good, it would help a lot but would people use it?

Not sure on: 

From the bus stops to be built on Newcastle Bank, south of the A1 at Eighton Lodge, it will be possible to get to both Newcastle City Centre, Gateshead Town Centre and the Metrocentre.

Though there will be no special bus service for the park and ride as initially planned, Go North East and Arriva bus services already serving the route will pull into the new stop.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Adrian

23 Feb 2016, 8:25 pm #32
Read up slightly Tongue there was a bit discussion about it a few weeks ago, from this post onwards.

Adrian
23 Feb 2016, 8:25 pm #32

Read up slightly Tongue there was a bit discussion about it a few weeks ago, from this post onwards.

Michael

23 Feb 2016, 8:31 pm #33
(23 Feb 2016, 8:25 pm)Adrian Read up slightly Tongue there was a bit discussion about it a few weeks ago, from this post onwards.

Opps!, apologies! 

I thought it was a update for it!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
23 Feb 2016, 8:31 pm #33

(23 Feb 2016, 8:25 pm)Adrian Read up slightly Tongue there was a bit discussion about it a few weeks ago, from this post onwards.

Opps!, apologies! 

I thought it was a update for it!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Pages (2): Previous 1 2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average