Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Eighton Lodge Park And Ride

Eighton Lodge Park And Ride

Eighton Lodge Park And Ride

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2) 1 2 Next
gtom

Banned

14 Jul 2014, 9:43 pm #1
Expect an announcement on this one shortly.

Can't really say too much as the meetings had some NDA to them.

Personally very much against the idea myself.
gtom
14 Jul 2014, 9:43 pm #1

Expect an announcement on this one shortly.

Can't really say too much as the meetings had some NDA to them.

Personally very much against the idea myself.

Adrian

14 Jul 2014, 9:56 pm #2
Heard something about this earlier, and I'm a bit skeptical to be honest.

The location is a bit baffling as it's moving the problem from the western bypass to the Durham road corridor. That's if it gets used of course. I can't see it being massively popular unless folk are forced into it, either by congestion charging, increased rates on city centre parking, and so on.

It's also quite long distance for a park and ride service. It's a good 15-20 mins to the city centre if you take into account the bus is most likely going to have stopping and timing points. Are people really going to entertain that idea?

I'd have thought if anything, a site would have been identified with an easy link to Metro possible.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
14 Jul 2014, 9:56 pm #2

Heard something about this earlier, and I'm a bit skeptical to be honest.

The location is a bit baffling as it's moving the problem from the western bypass to the Durham road corridor. That's if it gets used of course. I can't see it being massively popular unless folk are forced into it, either by congestion charging, increased rates on city centre parking, and so on.

It's also quite long distance for a park and ride service. It's a good 15-20 mins to the city centre if you take into account the bus is most likely going to have stopping and timing points. Are people really going to entertain that idea?

I'd have thought if anything, a site would have been identified with an easy link to Metro possible.

MurdnunoC

14 Jul 2014, 10:08 pm #3
I've always been against this idea as well as the other proposed P&R site at Lobley Hill.

I just can't fathom how it will decrease congestion unless, as Aureolin notes, drivers are somehow forced into using the site. If anything, extra congestion will be created as motorists queue on the A1 in order to access the site.

I've always thought that Follingsby Park would make a good P&R site. It's conveniently located near to the Leamside Line and the Metro could be extended to accommodate motorists offering a quick service into either Gateshead or Newcastle.
MurdnunoC
14 Jul 2014, 10:08 pm #3

I've always been against this idea as well as the other proposed P&R site at Lobley Hill.

I just can't fathom how it will decrease congestion unless, as Aureolin notes, drivers are somehow forced into using the site. If anything, extra congestion will be created as motorists queue on the A1 in order to access the site.

I've always thought that Follingsby Park would make a good P&R site. It's conveniently located near to the Leamside Line and the Metro could be extended to accommodate motorists offering a quick service into either Gateshead or Newcastle.

Andreos1

15 Jul 2014, 6:16 am #4
Desperately trying to think of positives but cant.
The last mention of it on the forum, confirmed that the facility wouldn't have its own vehicles, but would rely on service buses such as the 21 calling in.
Hopefully that has changed.

The.location and distance from the town/city centre isn't too different to the sites in York and Doncaster.
The road infrastructure is totally different though.

Similarly, people using the A1 aren't all going to one destination or indeed heading in the same direction - Metrocentre, Team Valley, Great North Park, Newcastle City Centre, various areas across Gateshead - which would lead to a change in bus for many.
Edited 15 Jul 2014, 7:01 am by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
15 Jul 2014, 6:16 am #4

Desperately trying to think of positives but cant.
The last mention of it on the forum, confirmed that the facility wouldn't have its own vehicles, but would rely on service buses such as the 21 calling in.

The.location and distance from the town/city centre isn't too different to the sites in York and Doncaster.
The road infrastructure is totally different though.

Similarly, people using the A1 aren't all going to one destination or indeed heading in the same direction - Metrocentre, Team Valley, Great North Park, Newcastle City Centre, various areas across Gateshead - which would lead to a change in bus for many.

Adrian

15 Jul 2014, 7:40 pm #5
(14 Jul 2014, 10:08 pm)AdamY I've always been against this idea as well as the other proposed P&R site at Lobley Hill.

Completely agree about Follingsby, and it looks to be on the radar. I found this document which details those two and another site on Dunston Hill.

https://www.gateshead.gov.uk/DocumentLib...hedule.pdf

Adrian
15 Jul 2014, 7:40 pm #5

(14 Jul 2014, 10:08 pm)AdamY I've always been against this idea as well as the other proposed P&R site at Lobley Hill.

Completely agree about Follingsby, and it looks to be on the radar. I found this document which details those two and another site on Dunston Hill.

Malarkey

15 Jul 2014, 7:59 pm #6
Slight change of Subject, Just been scrolling through the Document, Looking at Page 3

Ref: T20 - New Bus Facility - £7m - John Dobson Street/Durrant Road

Could this be for a New Bus Station in Newcastle City Centre.
Malarkey
15 Jul 2014, 7:59 pm #6

Slight change of Subject, Just been scrolling through the Document, Looking at Page 3

gtom

Banned

15 Jul 2014, 8:40 pm #7
(15 Jul 2014, 6:16 am)Andreos Constantopolous Desperately trying to think of positives but cant.

As of yesterday that position hasn't changed.

The logic to me is flawed and I apologise if I'm repeating others points.

The Bypass is already busy from when the A1(M) ends. The site is already in the mix. If you are heading to Newcastle, why bother beating congestion when its only another 6 miles to the City Centre? Newcastle is not like Durham, it has more than 1 route into the City.

Adding passenger numbers to a service like the 21 which already struggles to keep time and reliability and sending more buses along a choked Durham Road is not and never will be a good idea
gtom
15 Jul 2014, 8:40 pm #7

(15 Jul 2014, 6:16 am)Andreos Constantopolous Desperately trying to think of positives but cant.

As of yesterday that position hasn't changed.

The Bypass is already busy from when the A1(M) ends. The site is already in the mix. If you are heading to Newcastle, why bother beating congestion when its only another 6 miles to the City Centre? Newcastle is not like Durham, it has more than 1 route into the City.

Adding passenger numbers to a service like the 21 which already struggles to keep time and reliability and sending more buses along a choked Durham Road is not and never will be a good idea

MurdnunoC

15 Jul 2014, 8:55 pm #8
(15 Jul 2014, 7:40 pm)aureolin Completely agree about Follingsby, and it looks to be on the radar. I found this document which details those two and another site on Dunston Hill.

I believe I've read that document before as I asked to help formulate some sort of response on behalf of an interested party.

Follingsby Park is the only sensible option in my view. It lies just off the A194(M) and is close enough to the A19 for even more accessibility. If constructing a new Metro link is not an option, then perhaps a frequent heavy-rail service between Follingsby Park and Metrocentre (calling in at Heworth, Newcastle, Dunston and a new station at Gateshead Quays) might provide better value for money.
MurdnunoC
15 Jul 2014, 8:55 pm #8

(15 Jul 2014, 7:40 pm)aureolin Completely agree about Follingsby, and it looks to be on the radar. I found this document which details those two and another site on Dunston Hill.

I believe I've read that document before as I asked to help formulate some sort of response on behalf of an interested party.

Follingsby Park is the only sensible option in my view. It lies just off the A194(M) and is close enough to the A19 for even more accessibility. If constructing a new Metro link is not an option, then perhaps a frequent heavy-rail service between Follingsby Park and Metrocentre (calling in at Heworth, Newcastle, Dunston and a new station at Gateshead Quays) might provide better value for money.

Andreos1

15 Jul 2014, 9:13 pm #9
(15 Jul 2014, 8:40 pm)gtom As of yesterday that position hasn't changed.

Almost forgot about the upcoming works on the bypass, which is being carried out to aid congestion...

(15 Jul 2014, 8:55 pm)AdamY I believe I've read that document before as I asked to help formulate some sort of response on behalf of an interested party.

A cheaper alternative could be to utilise the bus lanes on the approach to Heworth.
Edited 15 Jul 2014, 9:14 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
15 Jul 2014, 9:13 pm #9

(15 Jul 2014, 8:40 pm)gtom As of yesterday that position hasn't changed.

Almost forgot about the upcoming works on the bypass, which is being carried out to aid congestion...

(15 Jul 2014, 8:55 pm)AdamY I believe I've read that document before as I asked to help formulate some sort of response on behalf of an interested party.

A cheaper alternative could be to utilise the bus lanes on the approach to Heworth.

MurdnunoC

15 Jul 2014, 9:21 pm #10
(15 Jul 2014, 9:13 pm)Andreos Constantopolous A cheaper alternative could be to utilise the bus lanes on the approach to Heworth.

True.

But then bus-lanes would need to created after Heworth Metro in order to reach either Gateshead or Newcastle.

Personally, I don't see the point in going to a P&R facility at Follingsby in order to get a bus to Heworth and transfer onto either a train or Metro. I can't see it being a hit with other motorists either.
MurdnunoC
15 Jul 2014, 9:21 pm #10

(15 Jul 2014, 9:13 pm)Andreos Constantopolous A cheaper alternative could be to utilise the bus lanes on the approach to Heworth.

True.

But then bus-lanes would need to created after Heworth Metro in order to reach either Gateshead or Newcastle.

Personally, I don't see the point in going to a P&R facility at Follingsby in order to get a bus to Heworth and transfer onto either a train or Metro. I can't see it being a hit with other motorists either.

Andreos1

15 Jul 2014, 9:26 pm #11
(15 Jul 2014, 9:21 pm)AdamY True.

Yeah, it would need extending beyond Heworth - but that shouldn't be beyond the wit of man or Gateshead Council.
They have stacks of white paint hidden away in the Shearlegs Road depot (enough to get the roads painted/segregated several times in just a few years), unless it all got used up on Durham Road?

As for the multiple changes - why not? GNE built their model on a similar system Wink
Edited 15 Jul 2014, 9:28 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
15 Jul 2014, 9:26 pm #11

(15 Jul 2014, 9:21 pm)AdamY True.

Yeah, it would need extending beyond Heworth - but that shouldn't be beyond the wit of man or Gateshead Council.
They have stacks of white paint hidden away in the Shearlegs Road depot (enough to get the roads painted/segregated several times in just a few years), unless it all got used up on Durham Road?

As for the multiple changes - why not? GNE built their model on a similar system Wink

markydh

15 Jul 2014, 9:28 pm #12
(15 Jul 2014, 7:59 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Slight change of Subject, Just been scrolling through the Document, Looking at Page 3

In short, yes. The council have longer term plans to build a third bus station for use by 'via Gateshead town centre' services that currently terminate on street or at Eldon Square bus station. Two possible sites with the favoured being behind the Laing Art Gallery. Unfortunately the developers who own many of the buildings in that area are just sitting on the land doing sweet FA at the moment following the financial crash so little movement is expected before 2020 sadly.
markydh
15 Jul 2014, 9:28 pm #12

(15 Jul 2014, 7:59 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Slight change of Subject, Just been scrolling through the Document, Looking at Page 3

In short, yes. The council have longer term plans to build a third bus station for use by 'via Gateshead town centre' services that currently terminate on street or at Eldon Square bus station. Two possible sites with the favoured being behind the Laing Art Gallery. Unfortunately the developers who own many of the buildings in that area are just sitting on the land doing sweet FA at the moment following the financial crash so little movement is expected before 2020 sadly.

MurdnunoC

15 Jul 2014, 9:44 pm #13
(15 Jul 2014, 9:26 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Yeah, it would need extending beyond Heworth - but that shouldn't be beyond the wit of man or Gateshead Council.

It'll take more than the stacks of white paint hidden away at the Shearlegs Road depot.

I'm vehemently against the approach of converting dual carriageways to one lane thoroughfares to accommodate bus lanes as it tends to cause congestion elsewhere through bottlenecking. If a bus-lane was created between Heworth and Gateshead, it really needs to be constructed alongside the existing road infrastructure.

So unless Gateshead Council have vast amounts of tarmac and paving stored at Shearlegs Road, then can take their white paint and....
MurdnunoC
15 Jul 2014, 9:44 pm #13

(15 Jul 2014, 9:26 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Yeah, it would need extending beyond Heworth - but that shouldn't be beyond the wit of man or Gateshead Council.

It'll take more than the stacks of white paint hidden away at the Shearlegs Road depot.

I'm vehemently against the approach of converting dual carriageways to one lane thoroughfares to accommodate bus lanes as it tends to cause congestion elsewhere through bottlenecking. If a bus-lane was created between Heworth and Gateshead, it really needs to be constructed alongside the existing road infrastructure.

So unless Gateshead Council have vast amounts of tarmac and paving stored at Shearlegs Road, then can take their white paint and....

Andreos1

16 Jul 2014, 7:36 am #14
(15 Jul 2014, 9:44 pm)AdamY It'll take more than the stacks of white paint hidden away at the Shearlegs Road depot.

Get away man, you know they only deal in white paint Wink

Andreos1
16 Jul 2014, 7:36 am #14

(15 Jul 2014, 9:44 pm)AdamY It'll take more than the stacks of white paint hidden away at the Shearlegs Road depot.

Get away man, you know they only deal in white paint Wink

gtom

Banned

23 Jan 2015, 12:53 pm #15
Funding has now been secured for this wonderful idea.........
gtom
23 Jan 2015, 12:53 pm #15

Funding has now been secured for this wonderful idea.........

MurdnunoC

23 Jan 2015, 1:05 pm #16
(23 Jan 2015, 12:53 pm)gtom Funding has now been secured for this wonderful idea.........

"Yay" (stated in the most sardonically sarcastic way possible)

As I've said elsewhere in the thread, Follingsby Park is most sensible option in my view.
MurdnunoC
23 Jan 2015, 1:05 pm #16

(23 Jan 2015, 12:53 pm)gtom Funding has now been secured for this wonderful idea.........

"Yay" (stated in the most sardonically sarcastic way possible)

As I've said elsewhere in the thread, Follingsby Park is most sensible option in my view.

gtom

Banned

23 Jan 2015, 1:34 pm #17
There's no reason why they can't have both if they can get the funding.

I just don't see where traffic will come from to populate this. If you've come from Durham you've better options (train) and if you are driving why would you stop when in sight of the City Centre and turn off to a car park to sit on a 21 which will take around half an hour at peak?!

I've been driving in and around the area lately and with Saltwell Rd, Old Durham etc there are plenty of alternatives available to avoid the A1 and make a decent journey time.
Edited 23 Jan 2015, 1:35 pm by gtom.
gtom
23 Jan 2015, 1:34 pm #17

There's no reason why they can't have both if they can get the funding.

I just don't see where traffic will come from to populate this. If you've come from Durham you've better options (train) and if you are driving why would you stop when in sight of the City Centre and turn off to a car park to sit on a 21 which will take around half an hour at peak?!

I've been driving in and around the area lately and with Saltwell Rd, Old Durham etc there are plenty of alternatives available to avoid the A1 and make a decent journey time.

Malarkey

10 Aug 2015, 5:26 pm #18
Has been any updates recently on the potential P&R Sites at Eighton Lodge & Follingsby Park?
Malarkey
10 Aug 2015, 5:26 pm #18

Has been any updates recently on the potential P&R Sites at Eighton Lodge & Follingsby Park?

Andreos1

29 Sep 2015, 10:29 am #19
(10 Aug 2015, 5:26 pm)Malarkey Has been any updates recently on the potential P&R Sites at Eighton Lodge & Follingsby Park?

Just digging up an old thread.

This is the last I can find in the press. Not to say other things have happened or have been discussed behind closed doors since.

It has been a while since I last darkened the doors of a meeting there. So long ago Ian Mearns was a mere councillor!

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...ed-9415398

Andreos1
29 Sep 2015, 10:29 am #19

(10 Aug 2015, 5:26 pm)Malarkey Has been any updates recently on the potential P&R Sites at Eighton Lodge & Follingsby Park?

Just digging up an old thread.

This is the last I can find in the press. Not to say other things have happened or have been discussed behind closed doors since.

It has been a while since I last darkened the doors of a meeting there. So long ago Ian Mearns was a mere councillor!

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...ed-9415398

citaro5284

09 Feb 2016, 12:42 pm #20
Park and Ride is now approved

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...l-10860988
citaro5284
09 Feb 2016, 12:42 pm #20

Park and Ride is now approved

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...l-10860988

Pages (2) 1 2 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average