Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Newcastle Area Developments

Newcastle Area Developments

Newcastle Area Developments

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dan

Site Administrator

Michael

20 Aug 2014, 9:10 am #2
(20 Aug 2014, 8:56 am)Dan http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...le-7639310

Oh i bet thats gonna be fun for drivers and passengers!
Its already really busy!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
20 Aug 2014, 9:10 am #2

(20 Aug 2014, 8:56 am)Dan http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...le-7639310

Oh i bet thats gonna be fun for drivers and passengers!
Its already really busy!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

MurdnunoC

20 Aug 2014, 11:57 am #3
I agree with the proposals in principle.

The Scotswood Bridge junction certainly needs improvement. It is the roundabout which causes much of the congestion. To make traffic flow freely would, in my opinion, require the roundabout to be scrapped and replaced with some sort of GSJ from the west which, in turn, would allow a dual carriageway to be constructed. However, that's easier said than done.

The dualing of Grandstand Road shouldn't prove to be that much of a problem. It's the Blue House Roundabout to Haddricks Mill section which will prove problematic. The road, as it stands, is probably wide enough to accommodate two lanes without a central reservation, but with bus stops and parked cars to consider, it's going to be tricky.
MurdnunoC
20 Aug 2014, 11:57 am #3

I agree with the proposals in principle.

The Scotswood Bridge junction certainly needs improvement. It is the roundabout which causes much of the congestion. To make traffic flow freely would, in my opinion, require the roundabout to be scrapped and replaced with some sort of GSJ from the west which, in turn, would allow a dual carriageway to be constructed. However, that's easier said than done.

The dualing of Grandstand Road shouldn't prove to be that much of a problem. It's the Blue House Roundabout to Haddricks Mill section which will prove problematic. The road, as it stands, is probably wide enough to accommodate two lanes without a central reservation, but with bus stops and parked cars to consider, it's going to be tricky.

Malarkey

20 Aug 2014, 1:44 pm #4
(20 Aug 2014, 11:57 am)AdamY I agree with the proposals in principle.

Should take out that Roundabout and have 4 Way Traffic Lights. As that Roundabout is Dangerous.
Malarkey
20 Aug 2014, 1:44 pm #4

(20 Aug 2014, 11:57 am)AdamY I agree with the proposals in principle.

Should take out that Roundabout and have 4 Way Traffic Lights. As that Roundabout is Dangerous.

Andreos1

20 Aug 2014, 2:34 pm #5
Pedestrianisation is a funny thing in my opinion - traffic may be moved away from a certain road or street, but it always ends up somewhere else.

(20 Aug 2014, 1:44 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Should take out that Roundabout and have 4 Way Traffic Lights. As that Roundabout is Dangerous.

A lot of the traffic queues on the Gateshead side, are caused by traffic signals.
Coming south over the Tyne Bridge, the traffic is not allowed to flow, due in part to the sequence of lights in Gateshead.
Coming from Gateshead into Newcastle over the Redheugh Bridge, traffic is often at a standstill, due to the sequence of lights up St James Boulevard.

The Heworth roundabout used to flow great - until lights were installed.

In each of those locations, it is possible to be stopped by a red light and nothing coming from another direction.

Low Fell - depending on how unlucky you are, it is possible to hit each and everyone on, on red.

Dreading the drive through Birtley, once it is finished.
Upto 6 sets of lights (including a pedestrian crossing), in less than a mile!

There must be a better alternative.
Edited 20 Aug 2014, 2:35 pm by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
20 Aug 2014, 2:34 pm #5

Pedestrianisation is a funny thing in my opinion - traffic may be moved away from a certain road or street, but it always ends up somewhere else.

(20 Aug 2014, 1:44 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Should take out that Roundabout and have 4 Way Traffic Lights. As that Roundabout is Dangerous.

A lot of the traffic queues on the Gateshead side, are caused by traffic signals.
Coming south over the Tyne Bridge, the traffic is not allowed to flow, due in part to the sequence of lights in Gateshead.
Coming from Gateshead into Newcastle over the Redheugh Bridge, traffic is often at a standstill, due to the sequence of lights up St James Boulevard.

The Heworth roundabout used to flow great - until lights were installed.

In each of those locations, it is possible to be stopped by a red light and nothing coming from another direction.

Low Fell - depending on how unlucky you are, it is possible to hit each and everyone on, on red.

Dreading the drive through Birtley, once it is finished.
Upto 6 sets of lights (including a pedestrian crossing), in less than a mile!

There must be a better alternative.

tyresmoke

20 Aug 2014, 9:15 pm #6
Haddricksmill was a right faff on when I was driving round it last summer!

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
20 Aug 2014, 9:15 pm #6

Haddricksmill was a right faff on when I was driving round it last summer!

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

MurdnunoC

20 Aug 2014, 10:04 pm #7
(20 Aug 2014, 9:15 pm)tyresmoke Haddricksmill was a right faff on when I was driving round it last summer!

Yeah, the whole double-roundabout could be simplified.
MurdnunoC
20 Aug 2014, 10:04 pm #7

(20 Aug 2014, 9:15 pm)tyresmoke Haddricksmill was a right faff on when I was driving round it last summer!

Yeah, the whole double-roundabout could be simplified.

Malarkey

17 Apr 2015, 8:27 pm #8
Never knew Northumberland Street was open to Traffic, well at least during my lifetime anyway, great to see Photos like this from the past.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/markh737/17154906246/
Malarkey
17 Apr 2015, 8:27 pm #8

Never knew Northumberland Street was open to Traffic, well at least during my lifetime anyway, great to see Photos like this from the past.

MurdnunoC

17 Apr 2015, 10:48 pm #9
(17 Apr 2015, 8:27 pm)Malarkey Never knew Northumberland Street was open to Traffic, well at least during my lifetime anyway, great to see Photos like this from the past.

Remember it well.

My parents used to take me to Wimpy (now Burger King) and I used to sit upstairs and watch the buses go by.

Northumberland Street also used to be the main thoroughfare for the A1 before Central Motorway East, Tyne Tunnel and the Newcastle Western By-pass were constructed.

This and other images can be found on Skyscraper City.

[Image: 3256271864_a13a416815_b.jpg]
MurdnunoC
17 Apr 2015, 10:48 pm #9

(17 Apr 2015, 8:27 pm)Malarkey Never knew Northumberland Street was open to Traffic, well at least during my lifetime anyway, great to see Photos like this from the past.

Remember it well.

My parents used to take me to Wimpy (now Burger King) and I used to sit upstairs and watch the buses go by.

Northumberland Street also used to be the main thoroughfare for the A1 before Central Motorway East, Tyne Tunnel and the Newcastle Western By-pass were constructed.

Malarkey

18 Apr 2015, 12:42 pm #10
(17 Apr 2015, 10:48 pm)MurdnunoC Remember it well.

What were the reasons behind Pedestrianising Northumberland Street, and which year did this take place, looking at that Photo I dont think we would ever see it reopen to traffic.
Malarkey
18 Apr 2015, 12:42 pm #10

(17 Apr 2015, 10:48 pm)MurdnunoC Remember it well.

What were the reasons behind Pedestrianising Northumberland Street, and which year did this take place, looking at that Photo I dont think we would ever see it reopen to traffic.

18 Apr 2015, 12:43 pm #11
(18 Apr 2015, 12:42 pm)Malarkey What were the reasons behind Pedestrianising Northumberland Street, and which year did this take place, looking at that Photo I dont think we would ever see it reopen to traffic.

If it ever was to reopen to traffic, I think that the NHS would buy a large shop and convert it into an ambulance station.
omnicity4659
18 Apr 2015, 12:43 pm #11

(18 Apr 2015, 12:42 pm)Malarkey What were the reasons behind Pedestrianising Northumberland Street, and which year did this take place, looking at that Photo I dont think we would ever see it reopen to traffic.

If it ever was to reopen to traffic, I think that the NHS would buy a large shop and convert it into an ambulance station.

Malarkey

18 Apr 2015, 12:48 pm #12
(18 Apr 2015, 12:43 pm)Tommy_1581 If it ever was to reopen to traffic, I think that the NHS would buy a large shop and convert it into an ambulance station.

Obviously safety measures would have to be put in place, such as Railings/Barriers and a Zebra Crossing or Traffic Lights at the Centre Point of the Street (Entrance to Eldon Square) etc to ensure the safety of Pedestrians.
Malarkey
18 Apr 2015, 12:48 pm #12

(18 Apr 2015, 12:43 pm)Tommy_1581 If it ever was to reopen to traffic, I think that the NHS would buy a large shop and convert it into an ambulance station.

Obviously safety measures would have to be put in place, such as Railings/Barriers and a Zebra Crossing or Traffic Lights at the Centre Point of the Street (Entrance to Eldon Square) etc to ensure the safety of Pedestrians.

Jimmi

18 Apr 2015, 12:55 pm #13
I think there is too many pedestrians heading down Northumberland Street for any traffic to go down there again.
Jimmi
18 Apr 2015, 12:55 pm #13

I think there is too many pedestrians heading down Northumberland Street for any traffic to go down there again.

Andreos1

18 Apr 2015, 12:56 pm #14

Probably to move traffic away from the city centre/shopping area.

Up until the mid/late 90's, the very top (onto Northumberland Road) was still open for buses.
The remaining section still had restricted access and a small road going down the middle for a long time. Possibly into the early 90's.

Edit: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=982536&page=113 found this, with images of the changes and the small road that wound its way down.
Edited 18 Apr 2015, 1:08 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
18 Apr 2015, 12:56 pm #14

Probably to move traffic away from the city centre/shopping area.

Up until the mid/late 90's, the very top (onto Northumberland Road) was still open for buses.
The remaining section still had restricted access and a small road going down the middle for a long time. Possibly into the early 90's.

Edit: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=982536&page=113 found this, with images of the changes and the small road that wound its way down.

MurdnunoC

18 Apr 2015, 1:22 pm #15
(18 Apr 2015, 12:56 pm)Andreos1 Probably to move traffic away from the city centre/shopping area.

The top bit of Northumberland was pedestrianised in 1999. The bottom bit, I'm guessing, 1989/90, perhaps earlier. I believe the street was narrowed once the Central Motorway East was completed in 1975.

The picture below (perhaps my favourite) was taken in 1976.

[Image: NorthumberlandStreetin1976.jpg]
MurdnunoC
18 Apr 2015, 1:22 pm #15

(18 Apr 2015, 12:56 pm)Andreos1 Probably to move traffic away from the city centre/shopping area.

The top bit of Northumberland was pedestrianised in 1999. The bottom bit, I'm guessing, 1989/90, perhaps earlier. I believe the street was narrowed once the Central Motorway East was completed in 1975.

Malarkey

18 Apr 2015, 2:07 pm #16
(18 Apr 2015, 1:22 pm)MurdnunoC The top bit of Northumberland was pedestrianised in 1999. The bottom bit, I'm guessing, 1989/90, perhaps earlier. I believe the street was narrowed once the Central Motorway East was completed in 1975.

Now I see why Northumberland Street was fully pedestrianised Wink .
Malarkey
18 Apr 2015, 2:07 pm #16

(18 Apr 2015, 1:22 pm)MurdnunoC The top bit of Northumberland was pedestrianised in 1999. The bottom bit, I'm guessing, 1989/90, perhaps earlier. I believe the street was narrowed once the Central Motorway East was completed in 1975.

Now I see why Northumberland Street was fully pedestrianised Wink .

MurdnunoC

26 May 2015, 9:00 pm #17
I walked through the former Newcastle Breweries site today on my way into town. This is the site which will eventually become Newcastle Science Park (or City - can't remember which). Looks like it might be pretty decent once completed. I hope they keep some of the greenery to compliment the proposed buildings. Managed to take a quick a video of the site on my back to the car and posted it on YouTube.

Edited 26 May 2015, 9:05 pm by MurdnunoC.
MurdnunoC
26 May 2015, 9:00 pm #17

I walked through the former Newcastle Breweries site today on my way into town. This is the site which will eventually become Newcastle Science Park (or City - can't remember which). Looks like it might be pretty decent once completed. I hope they keep some of the greenery to compliment the proposed buildings. Managed to take a quick a video of the site on my back to the car and posted it on YouTube.

Malarkey

20 Jun 2015, 10:21 pm #18
Radical Plans to change one of Newcastles busiest Streets is Gathering Pace.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...es-9483190
Malarkey
20 Jun 2015, 10:21 pm #18

Radical Plans to change one of Newcastles busiest Streets is Gathering Pace.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...es-9483190

Rob44

28 Jul 2017, 11:22 am #19
Just heading home last night and it looks like Newcastle Council are making the fly over at north brunton park to the south entrance of gosforth park a no car lane/bus lane..... means cars will have to go straight on and around the round-a-bout and past falcons nest pub  to get to the park, sandy lane or wide open.

Nothing on web site about it so might not have come into force yet.
Rob44
28 Jul 2017, 11:22 am #19

Just heading home last night and it looks like Newcastle Council are making the fly over at north brunton park to the south entrance of gosforth park a no car lane/bus lane..... means cars will have to go straight on and around the round-a-bout and past falcons nest pub  to get to the park, sandy lane or wide open.

Nothing on web site about it so might not have come into force yet.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average