Login Register
North East Buses Local Bus Scene Bus Operations, Management & Infrastructure
South Tyneside Area Developments - South Shields Transport Interchange etc
They could use these "DUCKS" or bus/boat things.

It is concerning to see the removal of the ferry link being on the table. I think it could be substantially damaging to those areas, particularly as buses are going to struggle to get to/from South Shield to the tunnel.

Could one option be to move one of the ferry stages so that a smaller boat can be used?
I have thought of an Innovative Way that a Metro Bridge from North to South Shields could work.

I think that it could work one way and is to put Sensors across the Central Section of the Potential Bridge, Sensors would also be put onto the DFDS Ferrys and other Ships, this would then send a "Message" to the Bridge Controller. Who would then press a Button or something, and then the Bridge would Retract like a Football Stadium Roof to then allow the Ferry Through.

Obviously this would have a affect on the Metro as it would have to be timed to perfection to allow enough time for the Ferry/Ships to get through, similar to that of the Holy Island Crossing, other signals would have to be sent to turn the metro signals from Red to Green and so on.
I wonder how much it would cost the build the bridge and the necessary infrastructure, inc ongoing costs versus the cost to operate the ferry.
It would cost quite a significant amount I would say if it were to ever happen, which I'd say personally is Highly Doubtful.
Anyone heard anything more about the development?
Revealed: First look at new South Shields transport centre = Shields Gazette
(08/06/2015, 22:02)AIG20 Wrote: Revealed: First look at new South Shields transport centre = Shields Gazette

Looks really good, it needs a massive upgrade.
(08/06/2015, 22:06)Michael Wrote: Looks really good, it needs a massive upgrade.

I like the artist impression, wish Sunderland had something like that instead of the drafty cr*p interchange. kick the council out of the civic centre, build the college campus on the civic centre land, knock down everything on the south side of holmside and presto! use that area just of holmside for this bus station.
I'm in favour of Bus Bill 
Also out of the EU
(08/06/2015, 22:22)cbma06 Wrote: I like the artist impression, wish Sunderland had something like that instead of the drafty cr*p interchange. kick the council out of the civic centre, build the college campus on the civic centre land, knock down everything on the south side of holmside and presto! use that area just of holmside for this bus station.

We could wish about that, it won't happen... park lane should of being built else where.
I don't like reversing buses in bus stations...