Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure South Tyneside Area Developments - South Shields Transport Interchange etc

South Tyneside Area Developments - South Shields Transport Interchange etc

South Tyneside Area Developments - South Shields Transport Interchange etc

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next
NEB Admin Team

Unregistered

09 Jan 2013, 8:42 pm #1
Check out these proposals for a new Transport Interchange on Keppel Street! Big Grin

http://www.southtyneside.info/article/17...nterchange
NEB Admin Team
09 Jan 2013, 8:42 pm #1

Check out these proposals for a new Transport Interchange on Keppel Street! Big Grin

Michael

09 Jan 2013, 8:55 pm #2
(09 Jan 2013, 8:42 pm)Brandon Check out these proposals for a new Transport Interchange on Keppel Street! Big Grin

They do need a new bus station its a good idea but wonder how many stands it will contain.

Can i ask, is this where the current row of bus shelters/station are?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
09 Jan 2013, 8:55 pm #2

(09 Jan 2013, 8:42 pm)Brandon Check out these proposals for a new Transport Interchange on Keppel Street! Big Grin

They do need a new bus station its a good idea but wonder how many stands it will contain.

Can i ask, is this where the current row of bus shelters/station are?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

NEB Admin Team

Unregistered

09 Jan 2013, 9:05 pm #3
It looks completely different, for the better! Smile

I think it is yeah, where the current bus stops are - that's Keppel Street (where you get off the bus outside the Post Office). Keppel Street leads into Chapter Row further up towards the Market/Ferry and then becomes Church Way or something like that. But's it pretty much all one long bus station anyway. Tongue

King Street is the one that is pedestrianised where the Metro Station sits above (between Market at north end and Morrisons at the south end).
NEB Admin Team
09 Jan 2013, 9:05 pm #3

It looks completely different, for the better! Smile

I think it is yeah, where the current bus stops are - that's Keppel Street (where you get off the bus outside the Post Office). Keppel Street leads into Chapter Row further up towards the Market/Ferry and then becomes Church Way or something like that. But's it pretty much all one long bus station anyway. Tongue

King Street is the one that is pedestrianised where the Metro Station sits above (between Market at north end and Morrisons at the south end).

Michael

09 Jan 2013, 9:12 pm #4
(09 Jan 2013, 9:05 pm)Brandon It looks completely different, for the better! Smile

Cheers, was'nt sure

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
09 Jan 2013, 9:12 pm #4

(09 Jan 2013, 9:05 pm)Brandon It looks completely different, for the better! Smile

Cheers, was'nt sure

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Malarkey

25 Mar 2013, 7:08 pm #5
Only just came across this, it certainly looks promising but like most bus stations it doesn't look bus spotter friendly as personally like standing at the crossing on Keppel Street opposite the post office.

Now to what I was going to suggest before seeing this, after a trip to shields last week and using the ferry between South and North Shields. A few thoughts entered my mind.

A.) Would it be quicker getting the Metro from South to North Shields, turns out that's a no as you'd have to travel to pelaw and change.

B.) By Bus via Tyne Tunnel, again no as no buses operate South to North Shields.

Which would leave you with current choice of using the Ferry.

So here is what I suggest but may not be possible due to the DFDS Ferry which why there isn't a more direct link between north and south shields. I suggest building a bridge to connect North to South as I noticed on the North side there is a load new road infrastructure which is closed off by gates next to the ferry terminal bus stop.

This would then create a new bus services etc, and also a Metro Bridge to connect North a South, tbh the Bridge would have to be very high and arched so that the DFDS Ferry can fit under.

Obviously this would come at a quite a substantial cost, but I think it would be well welcomed by those who live in the Shields area despite the link via the Tyne Tunnel.
Malarkey
25 Mar 2013, 7:08 pm #5

Only just came across this, it certainly looks promising but like most bus stations it doesn't look bus spotter friendly as personally like standing at the crossing on Keppel Street opposite the post office.

Now to what I was going to suggest before seeing this, after a trip to shields last week and using the ferry between South and North Shields. A few thoughts entered my mind.

A.) Would it be quicker getting the Metro from South to North Shields, turns out that's a no as you'd have to travel to pelaw and change.

B.) By Bus via Tyne Tunnel, again no as no buses operate South to North Shields.

Which would leave you with current choice of using the Ferry.

So here is what I suggest but may not be possible due to the DFDS Ferry which why there isn't a more direct link between north and south shields. I suggest building a bridge to connect North to South as I noticed on the North side there is a load new road infrastructure which is closed off by gates next to the ferry terminal bus stop.

This would then create a new bus services etc, and also a Metro Bridge to connect North a South, tbh the Bridge would have to be very high and arched so that the DFDS Ferry can fit under.

Obviously this would come at a quite a substantial cost, but I think it would be well welcomed by those who live in the Shields area despite the link via the Tyne Tunnel.

cbma06

13 Jul 2013, 4:35 pm #6
A VISION to transform South Shields Town Centre took a major step on the road to reality today after the council won £9.3m in Government cash to create a new transport hub.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/busin...-1-5851813

cbma06
13 Jul 2013, 4:35 pm #6

A VISION to transform South Shields Town Centre took a major step on the road to reality today after the council won £9.3m in Government cash to create a new transport hub.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/busin...-1-5851813

idiot

14 Jul 2013, 7:52 am #7
Why do so many bus stations have stands you have to reverse out of these days?!
idiot
14 Jul 2013, 7:52 am #7

Why do so many bus stations have stands you have to reverse out of these days?!

cbma06

26 Jul 2013, 10:11 am #8
Dated 18th July

Seven North East local authorities agreed transport schemes worth £58.1m with central government but in an 11th-hour U-turn yesterday, transport minister Norman Baker announced that the funding was to be cut to £31.1m.

That decision is a blow to three schemes in the borough including the £9.3m for a new transport hub in the centre of South Shields – a key part of the council’s £100m ‘South Shields 365’ revamp plan for the town.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/busin...-1-5868321

Also Sunderland share of the money:

The £8million Sunderland project is one of 11 schemes by the seven North East local authorities – known as the LA7.

The programme had been expected to be allocated £58.1million, but now the Department of Transport has announced that this will be just £31.1million.

It is unclear how the reduced funding will impact the proposed improvements to three strategic junctions with the A19 in Sunderland.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/busin...-1-5871070

cbma06
26 Jul 2013, 10:11 am #8

Dated 18th July

Seven North East local authorities agreed transport schemes worth £58.1m with central government but in an 11th-hour U-turn yesterday, transport minister Norman Baker announced that the funding was to be cut to £31.1m.

That decision is a blow to three schemes in the borough including the £9.3m for a new transport hub in the centre of South Shields – a key part of the council’s £100m ‘South Shields 365’ revamp plan for the town.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/busin...-1-5868321

Also Sunderland share of the money:

The £8million Sunderland project is one of 11 schemes by the seven North East local authorities – known as the LA7.

The programme had been expected to be allocated £58.1million, but now the Department of Transport has announced that this will be just £31.1million.

It is unclear how the reduced funding will impact the proposed improvements to three strategic junctions with the A19 in Sunderland.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/busin...-1-5871070

BJ10VUS

26 Jul 2013, 9:01 pm #9
(25 Mar 2013, 7:08 pm)Adam Malarkey A.) Would it be quicker getting the Metro from South to North Shields, turns out that's a no as you'd have to travel to pelaw and change.

Trains from South Shields continue to North Shields and St James - you could change at Monument?
BJ10VUS
26 Jul 2013, 9:01 pm #9

(25 Mar 2013, 7:08 pm)Adam Malarkey A.) Would it be quicker getting the Metro from South to North Shields, turns out that's a no as you'd have to travel to pelaw and change.

Trains from South Shields continue to North Shields and St James - you could change at Monument?

Malarkey

26 Jul 2013, 9:50 pm #10
(26 Jul 2013, 9:01 pm)BJ10VUS

I but that would take about an Hour maybe longer, otherwise from South Shields you'd have to get the 5/88/88A or 27 to Jarrow and then get the 9 over to North Shields. Apparently the Shields Ferry could get axed if the LA7 Changes Happen.

Now that I have thought about it a Metro Bridge over the Tyne from North to South due to the DFDS Ferry, I don't even think one under water would work either due to the Depth of the Ferry Underwater unless it was like the Tyne Tunnel but for a Metro but even that may not work.

So only option would be for a Bus Service between North and South Shields
Malarkey
26 Jul 2013, 9:50 pm #10

(26 Jul 2013, 9:01 pm)BJ10VUS

I but that would take about an Hour maybe longer, otherwise from South Shields you'd have to get the 5/88/88A or 27 to Jarrow and then get the 9 over to North Shields. Apparently the Shields Ferry could get axed if the LA7 Changes Happen.

Now that I have thought about it a Metro Bridge over the Tyne from North to South due to the DFDS Ferry, I don't even think one under water would work either due to the Depth of the Ferry Underwater unless it was like the Tyne Tunnel but for a Metro but even that may not work.

So only option would be for a Bus Service between North and South Shields

BusStop

27 Jul 2013, 9:31 pm #11
They could use these "DUCKS" or bus/boat things.

It is concerning to see the removal of the ferry link being on the table. I think it could be substantially damaging to those areas, particularly as buses are going to struggle to get to/from South Shield to the tunnel.

Could one option be to move one of the ferry stages so that a smaller boat can be used?
BusStop
27 Jul 2013, 9:31 pm #11

They could use these "DUCKS" or bus/boat things.

It is concerning to see the removal of the ferry link being on the table. I think it could be substantially damaging to those areas, particularly as buses are going to struggle to get to/from South Shield to the tunnel.

Could one option be to move one of the ferry stages so that a smaller boat can be used?

Malarkey

27 Jul 2013, 11:14 pm #12
I have thought of an Innovative Way that a Metro Bridge from North to South Shields could work.

I think that it could work one way and is to put Sensors across the Central Section of the Potential Bridge, Sensors would also be put onto the DFDS Ferrys and other Ships, this would then send a "Message" to the Bridge Controller. Who would then press a Button or something, and then the Bridge would Retract like a Football Stadium Roof to then allow the Ferry Through.

Obviously this would have a affect on the Metro as it would have to be timed to perfection to allow enough time for the Ferry/Ships to get through, similar to that of the Holy Island Crossing, other signals would have to be sent to turn the metro signals from Red to Green and so on.
Malarkey
27 Jul 2013, 11:14 pm #12

I have thought of an Innovative Way that a Metro Bridge from North to South Shields could work.

I think that it could work one way and is to put Sensors across the Central Section of the Potential Bridge, Sensors would also be put onto the DFDS Ferrys and other Ships, this would then send a "Message" to the Bridge Controller. Who would then press a Button or something, and then the Bridge would Retract like a Football Stadium Roof to then allow the Ferry Through.

Obviously this would have a affect on the Metro as it would have to be timed to perfection to allow enough time for the Ferry/Ships to get through, similar to that of the Holy Island Crossing, other signals would have to be sent to turn the metro signals from Red to Green and so on.

Andreos1

28 Jul 2013, 7:31 am #13
I wonder how much it would cost the build the bridge and the necessary infrastructure, inc ongoing costs versus the cost to operate the ferry.
Andreos1
28 Jul 2013, 7:31 am #13

I wonder how much it would cost the build the bridge and the necessary infrastructure, inc ongoing costs versus the cost to operate the ferry.

Malarkey

28 Jul 2013, 4:20 pm #14
It would cost quite a significant amount I would say if it were to ever happen, which I'd say personally is Highly Doubtful.
Malarkey
28 Jul 2013, 4:20 pm #14

It would cost quite a significant amount I would say if it were to ever happen, which I'd say personally is Highly Doubtful.

Michael

26 Mar 2014, 5:43 pm #15
Anyone heard anything more about the development?
Edited 26 Mar 2014, 5:43 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
26 Mar 2014, 5:43 pm #15

Anyone heard anything more about the development?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Michael

08 Jun 2015, 8:06 pm #17
(08 Jun 2015, 8:02 pm)AIG20 Revealed: First look at new South Shields transport centre = Shields Gazette

Looks really good, it needs a massive upgrade.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
08 Jun 2015, 8:06 pm #17

(08 Jun 2015, 8:02 pm)AIG20 Revealed: First look at new South Shields transport centre = Shields Gazette

Looks really good, it needs a massive upgrade.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

cbma06

08 Jun 2015, 8:22 pm #18
(08 Jun 2015, 8:06 pm)Michael Looks really good, it needs a massive upgrade.

I like the artist impression, wish Sunderland had something like that instead of the drafty cr*p interchange. kick the council out of the civic centre, build the college campus on the civic centre land, knock down everything on the south side of holmside and presto! use that area just of holmside for this bus station.

cbma06
08 Jun 2015, 8:22 pm #18

(08 Jun 2015, 8:06 pm)Michael Looks really good, it needs a massive upgrade.

I like the artist impression, wish Sunderland had something like that instead of the drafty cr*p interchange. kick the council out of the civic centre, build the college campus on the civic centre land, knock down everything on the south side of holmside and presto! use that area just of holmside for this bus station.

Michael

08 Jun 2015, 9:15 pm #19
(08 Jun 2015, 8:22 pm)cbma06 I like the artist impression, wish Sunderland had something like that instead of the drafty cr*p interchange. kick the council out of the civic centre, build the college campus on the civic centre land, knock down everything on the south side of holmside and presto! use that area just of holmside for this bus station.

We could wish about that, it won't happen... park lane should of being built else where.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
08 Jun 2015, 9:15 pm #19

(08 Jun 2015, 8:22 pm)cbma06 I like the artist impression, wish Sunderland had something like that instead of the drafty cr*p interchange. kick the council out of the civic centre, build the college campus on the civic centre land, knock down everything on the south side of holmside and presto! use that area just of holmside for this bus station.

We could wish about that, it won't happen... park lane should of being built else where.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

idiot

08 Jun 2015, 9:22 pm #20
I don't like reversing buses in bus stations...
idiot
08 Jun 2015, 9:22 pm #20

I don't like reversing buses in bus stations...

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average