Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Driverless Buses

Driverless Buses

Driverless Buses

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Unber43

06 Nov 2023, 11:03 pm #1
NEW: Rishi Sunak will outline tomorrow that buses and delivery vehicles will be driverless from 2030

Like its going to happen in 2030, especially with the roads the buses go on with roads works and everything. 
Unber43
06 Nov 2023, 11:03 pm #1

NEW: Rishi Sunak will outline tomorrow that buses and delivery vehicles will be driverless from 2030

Like its going to happen in 2030, especially with the roads the buses go on with roads works and everything. 

Bazza

07 Nov 2023, 9:36 am #2
(06 Nov 2023, 11:03 pm)Unber43 NEW: Rishi Sunak will outline tomorrow that buses and delivery vehicles will be driverless from 2030

If you think bus routes take an age now, imagine what it would be like with no drivers, there will have to be some major infrastructure changes and changes to road traffic law too
Bazza
07 Nov 2023, 9:36 am #2

(06 Nov 2023, 11:03 pm)Unber43 NEW: Rishi Sunak will outline tomorrow that buses and delivery vehicles will be driverless from 2030

If you think bus routes take an age now, imagine what it would be like with no drivers, there will have to be some major infrastructure changes and changes to road traffic law too

Adrian

07 Nov 2023, 1:40 pm #3
(07 Nov 2023, 9:36 am)Bazza If you think bus routes take an age now, imagine what it would be like with no drivers, there will have to be some major infrastructure changes and changes to road traffic law too
They also claim the vehicles won't require a safety driver. If that's the case, it'll be a free for all when it comes to revenue collection.

I also wonder how driverless delivery vans would work. How does the parcel get from the van to your door? How do elderly or disabled people get their crates of shopping from the Tesco van?

I suppose Evri could fit a tank gun to the front of their fleet, and it'll closely replicate what happens now.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
07 Nov 2023, 1:40 pm #3

(07 Nov 2023, 9:36 am)Bazza If you think bus routes take an age now, imagine what it would be like with no drivers, there will have to be some major infrastructure changes and changes to road traffic law too
They also claim the vehicles won't require a safety driver. If that's the case, it'll be a free for all when it comes to revenue collection.

I also wonder how driverless delivery vans would work. How does the parcel get from the van to your door? How do elderly or disabled people get their crates of shopping from the Tesco van?

I suppose Evri could fit a tank gun to the front of their fleet, and it'll closely replicate what happens now.

Storx

07 Nov 2023, 2:22 pm #4
Guessing it was never posted on here.

There's currently a feasability study to do one round here, connecting the new hospital at Cramlington and the new station at Seaton Delaval.

https://www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk/news/transport/study-to-assess-viability-of-driverless-transport-between-seaton-delaval-railway-station-and-hospital-in-cramlington-4367047

These are like little pods. I could definitely see where they could be useful. Newcastle Centre -> Newcastle Quayside -> Gateshead Quays -> Gateshead Interchange to pick one out or Northumberland Park -> Cobalt -> Silverlink -> Percy Main, Four Lane Ends -> Quorum or North Shields -> North Shields Ferry -> North Shields Fish Quay to pick another 3.
Storx
07 Nov 2023, 2:22 pm #4

Guessing it was never posted on here.

There's currently a feasability study to do one round here, connecting the new hospital at Cramlington and the new station at Seaton Delaval.

https://www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk/news/transport/study-to-assess-viability-of-driverless-transport-between-seaton-delaval-railway-station-and-hospital-in-cramlington-4367047

These are like little pods. I could definitely see where they could be useful. Newcastle Centre -> Newcastle Quayside -> Gateshead Quays -> Gateshead Interchange to pick one out or Northumberland Park -> Cobalt -> Silverlink -> Percy Main, Four Lane Ends -> Quorum or North Shields -> North Shields Ferry -> North Shields Fish Quay to pick another 3.

Adrian

07 Nov 2023, 2:23 pm #5
(07 Nov 2023, 2:22 pm)Storx Guessing it was never posted on here.

These are like little pods. I could definitely see where they could be useful. Newcastle Centre -> Newcastle Quayside -> Gateshead Quays -> Gateshead Interchange to pick one out.
Wonder how long before one is tipped over or something?

Adrian
07 Nov 2023, 2:23 pm #5

These are like little pods. I could definitely see where they could be useful. Newcastle Centre -> Newcastle Quayside -> Gateshead Quays -> Gateshead Interchange to pick one out.
Wonder how long before one is tipped over or something?

Bazza

07 Nov 2023, 2:41 pm #6

https://www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk/...on-4367047

There is a big difference between running anything driverless on a route specifically engineered / heavily modified for it and something just slotted into an existing infrastructure.  

For instance.  Can you see a driverless version of the X18 Haymarket to Berwick without a hefty investment in infrastructure along the whole route?

There is a big difference between running anything driverless on a route specifically engineered / heavily modified for it and something just slotted into an existing infrastructure.  

For instance.  Can you see a driverless version of the X18 Haymarket to Berwick without a hefty investment in infrastructure along the whole route?
Edited 07 Nov 2023, 2:41 pm by Bazza.
Bazza
07 Nov 2023, 2:41 pm #6

Storx

07 Nov 2023, 3:03 pm #7
(07 Nov 2023, 2:23 pm)Adrian Wonder how long before one is tipped over or something?

Aye imagine, vandalism will be the biggest problem with them. Not even sure how you could solve it either.

(07 Nov 2023, 2:41 pm)Bazza There is a big difference between running anything driverless on a route specifically engineered / heavily modified for it and something just slotted into an existing infrastructure.  

In fairness, it's just about allowing driverless buses at all. There's no mention that all buses will be driverless, I'd imagine it's for stuff like I linked and the sort of stuff I mentioned there where it's a short hopper route and connecting it to a bigger type of transport, rather than having to walk for 20 minutes or rely on an infrequent bus.

It could be the answer for DRT, as you could control demand, ie. more buses when needed and less when not without any real problems - driver's in particular. As long as it was only set stops, and in small areas. Replacing the Washington locals could be an example for it, instead of having a 30 seater bus, a little pod comes and picks you up and takes you to a set select number of stops within Washington and the same going home.
Storx
07 Nov 2023, 3:03 pm #7

(07 Nov 2023, 2:23 pm)Adrian Wonder how long before one is tipped over or something?

Aye imagine, vandalism will be the biggest problem with them. Not even sure how you could solve it either.

(07 Nov 2023, 2:41 pm)Bazza There is a big difference between running anything driverless on a route specifically engineered / heavily modified for it and something just slotted into an existing infrastructure.  

In fairness, it's just about allowing driverless buses at all. There's no mention that all buses will be driverless, I'd imagine it's for stuff like I linked and the sort of stuff I mentioned there where it's a short hopper route and connecting it to a bigger type of transport, rather than having to walk for 20 minutes or rely on an infrequent bus.

It could be the answer for DRT, as you could control demand, ie. more buses when needed and less when not without any real problems - driver's in particular. As long as it was only set stops, and in small areas. Replacing the Washington locals could be an example for it, instead of having a 30 seater bus, a little pod comes and picks you up and takes you to a set select number of stops within Washington and the same going home.

DeltaMan

07 Nov 2023, 4:19 pm #8
Think the most likely scenario will be on guided busways, where some already have a form of automated speed control.

So I can't see an MuskBus navigating deepest Windy Nook on the 57 or the back streets of Heaton on the 1 any time soon.
DeltaMan
07 Nov 2023, 4:19 pm #8

Think the most likely scenario will be on guided busways, where some already have a form of automated speed control.

So I can't see an MuskBus navigating deepest Windy Nook on the 57 or the back streets of Heaton on the 1 any time soon.

Unber43

07 Nov 2023, 4:29 pm #9
Where would a guided bus way be suitable in the NE
Unber43
07 Nov 2023, 4:29 pm #9

Where would a guided bus way be suitable in the NE

08 Nov 2023, 8:24 am #10
My mother's just got a new car and it has Nissan's ProPilot 'self driving' feature.

It's pretty crap on the roads around here, even on the A1 it struggles to keep in it's lane.

We even had the emergency braking kick in at Thinford roundabout because a Range Rover was at a slight angle at the traffic lights, not even in our lane.

Other than Tesla, pretty much every manufacturers system uses the same technology, I can't see it being good any time soon!

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
08 Nov 2023, 8:24 am #10

My mother's just got a new car and it has Nissan's ProPilot 'self driving' feature.

It's pretty crap on the roads around here, even on the A1 it struggles to keep in it's lane.

We even had the emergency braking kick in at Thinford roundabout because a Range Rover was at a slight angle at the traffic lights, not even in our lane.

Other than Tesla, pretty much every manufacturers system uses the same technology, I can't see it being good any time soon!

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

F114TML

29 Feb 2024, 10:04 am #12
It's a Ford Transit. Was at the depot yesterday.
F114TML
29 Feb 2024, 10:04 am #12

It's a Ford Transit. Was at the depot yesterday.

29 Feb 2024, 2:34 pm #13
(29 Feb 2024, 10:04 am)F114TML It's a Ford Transit. Was at the depot yesterday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c6p9258468zo 

More info on the BBC News article.
deanmachine
29 Feb 2024, 2:34 pm #13

(29 Feb 2024, 10:04 am)F114TML It's a Ford Transit. Was at the depot yesterday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c6p9258468zo 

More info on the BBC News article.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average