Login Register
North East Buses Local Bus Scene Bus Operations, Management & Infrastructure
Durham County Council
I am actually quite pleased to see DCC purchase the facility.
Although the initial outlay will obviously make a dent in the coffers, revenue raised by charging operators using the facility and any other associated rents, can can only be a good thing.

Obviously their property portfolio is also increasing, so should central government cuts kick in even more, then they can sell these assets for (hopefully) a profit.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(27/12/2014, 20:54)Andreos1 Wrote: I am actually quite pleased to see DCC purchase the facility.
Although the initial outlay will obviously make a dent in the coffers, revenue raised by charging operators using the facility and any other associated rents, can can only be a good thing.

Obviously their property portfolio is also increasing, so should central government cuts kick in even more, then they can sell these assets for (hopefully) a profit.

Although it depends how much is charged per departure? Nexus charge 16p per departure from Jarrow bus station, which is probably directly comparable to Peterlee. If you had 20 departures per hour for say 12 hours a day, then it's only going to make them about 14k per annum. It'd cost more than that to staff it?
Of course, the charges being made will have an impact on any profit/loss being made.

As far as I am aware, the land is freehold - so there is one cost which can be eliminated.
The income from operators will make a difference, I have no idea on vehicles per hour passing through Peterlee or what the current rates are, but I genuinely can't see DCC making a regular loss on it. It wouldn't make economic sense (in the current climate or otherwise), to purchase something and make a loss on it.

Maybe an FOI needs submitting Wink
If anyone is interested you can now get a leaflet map showing all the bus routes in County Durham (similar style to the old Durham Pindar site, but different colours) it is currently available in Durham Bus Station.
(16/01/2015, 18:43)Jimmi Wrote: If anyone is interested you can now get a leaflet map showing all the bus routes in County Durham (similar style to the old Durham Pindar site, but different colours) it is currently available in Durham Bus Station.

The maps are generally released every few year or so. I have one from 1992, and another from 2009, produced in the same style. 

It would be even more useful if they were produced every year.
(17/01/2015, 15:19)MurdnunoC Wrote: The maps are generally released every few year or so. I have one from 1992, and another from 2009, produced in the same style. 

It would be even more useful if they were produced every year.

Yeah, I have the 2009? One and even though it is long out of date it does help me with routes around County Durham, the current one is valid from October 2014 meaning it is already out of date with the X1 becoming the X12 and GNE taking over services 706/707 from Stanley Travel. Still glad I picked up a copy yesterday though.
Last time DCC produced paper format route map was 2011, its ashame that Nexus stopped doing the paper format route map years ago.
I'm in favour of Bus Bill 
Also out of the EU
(18/01/2015, 15:25)cbma06 Wrote: Last time DCC produced paper format route map was 2011, its ashame that Nexus stopped doing the paper format route map years ago.

I always liked collecting the route maps, someone should email them to ask them to do route maps again!
(18/01/2015, 15:39)Michael Wrote: I always liked collecting the route maps, someone should email them to ask them to do route maps again!

I used to like the timetable guides aswell (S1 etc..).  I already emailed them years ago, it seems that by Nexus, the way forward is online and disrequarding paper publication formats.

I used to like the timetable guides aswell (S1 etc..). I already emailed them years ago, it seems that by Nexus, the way forward is online and disrequarding paper publication formats.

(18/01/2015, 15:39)Michael Wrote: I always liked collecting the route maps, someone should email them to ask them to do route maps again!

I used to like the timetable guides aswell (S1 etc..).  I already emailed them years ago, it seems that by Nexus, the way forward is online and disrequarding paper publication formats.
I'm in favour of Bus Bill 
Also out of the EU
http://m.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1179...ref=twtrec

Reckon Durham will be best avoided in the summer if it can be helped.

It will be interesting to see if operators will make revisions to services, to combat delays.