Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Durham County Council

Durham County Council

Durham County Council

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (5): 1 2 35 Next
Andreos1

14 Dec 2014, 4:37 pm #1
We have a Nexus thread, so thought it prudent to have one for DCC.
No harm in creating one for other authorities either.

Noticed last weekend, that the Northbound stop on Durham Road, just north of Blind Lane/Park Road North is being reconstructed, now the works have finished in the area.
It is of a stone/concrete roof design.

Also, I believe a stop is being planned for the stretch of road on the site of the old firestation at Fencehouses (northbound).
The new houses seem to have been fully constructed and with a stop being on the other side for Chester/Houghton services, it made sense putting a northbound stop there, filling the big void that exists currently.
A layby type facility has been built already.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
14 Dec 2014, 4:37 pm #1

We have a Nexus thread, so thought it prudent to have one for DCC.
No harm in creating one for other authorities either.

Noticed last weekend, that the Northbound stop on Durham Road, just north of Blind Lane/Park Road North is being reconstructed, now the works have finished in the area.
It is of a stone/concrete roof design.

Also, I believe a stop is being planned for the stretch of road on the site of the old firestation at Fencehouses (northbound).
The new houses seem to have been fully constructed and with a stop being on the other side for Chester/Houghton services, it made sense putting a northbound stop there, filling the big void that exists currently.
A layby type facility has been built already.

Adrian

19 Dec 2014, 2:07 pm #2
I hadn't realised (because I never use it!) that ENCTS holders get free use of the Durham Park and Ride services? Not sure why they would? Surely being old doesn't qualify for free parking.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
19 Dec 2014, 2:07 pm #2

I hadn't realised (because I never use it!) that ENCTS holders get free use of the Durham Park and Ride services? Not sure why they would? Surely being old doesn't qualify for free parking.

Jimmi

19 Dec 2014, 2:57 pm #3
I imagine it would be for travelling from points en route, such as Aykley Heads to North Road.
Jimmi
19 Dec 2014, 2:57 pm #3

I imagine it would be for travelling from points en route, such as Aykley Heads to North Road.

Adrian

19 Dec 2014, 3:33 pm #4
(19 Dec 2014, 2:57 pm)Jimmi I imagine it would be for travelling from points en route, such as Aykley Heads to North Road.
There's any amounts of services serve that section of the route. Same with Howlands, and same with Belmont.

Adrian
19 Dec 2014, 3:33 pm #4

(19 Dec 2014, 2:57 pm)Jimmi I imagine it would be for travelling from points en route, such as Aykley Heads to North Road.
There's any amounts of services serve that section of the route. Same with Howlands, and same with Belmont.

Andreos1

19 Dec 2014, 5:34 pm #5
Is it not just a bus service, that happens to terminate at a car park?
Extend it to West Rainton or Langley Park and its no different to owt else.
Its just a service operating under contract/tender, like the 82/83 are on an evening.
If it was an entirely private set up, such as the Airshow or Enchanted Park services - then I could (maybe) understand why passes weren't accepted.

I have seen passengers get off at Belmont P&R and cross over to their homes in Carville. Essentially using it as an alternative to the 20/20a.

Andreos1
19 Dec 2014, 5:34 pm #5

Is it not just a bus service, that happens to terminate at a car park?
Its just a service operating under contract/tender, like the 82/83 are on an evening.
If it was an entirely private set up, such as the Airshow or Enchanted Park services - then I could (maybe) understand why passes weren't accepted.

I have seen passengers get off at Belmont P&R and cross over to their homes in Carville. Essentially using it as an alternative to the 20/20a.

Adrian

19 Dec 2014, 7:51 pm #6
(19 Dec 2014, 5:34 pm)Andreos1 Is it not just a bus service, that happens to terminate at a car park?

But as a fare paying passenger, I couldn't get a ticket from North Road to County Hall for example. I'd have to get an Adult Day Return, as no single fares are available. It's a service setup and designed as a Park & Ride service. I couldn't go and stick a car in Belmont, and then jump on GNE's 20, even though it'd save me 25%?

Adrian
19 Dec 2014, 7:51 pm #6

(19 Dec 2014, 5:34 pm)Andreos1 Is it not just a bus service, that happens to terminate at a car park?

But as a fare paying passenger, I couldn't get a ticket from North Road to County Hall for example. I'd have to get an Adult Day Return, as no single fares are available. It's a service setup and designed as a Park & Ride service. I couldn't go and stick a car in Belmont, and then jump on GNE's 20, even though it'd save me 25%?

Adrian

19 Dec 2014, 7:51 pm #7

Adrian
19 Dec 2014, 7:51 pm #7

Andreos1

19 Dec 2014, 8:08 pm #8
I've seen passengers jump on a 20 at Leazes Bowl and get off at the Ford Garage, heading to the P&R.
Might not be the done thing, but it happens. Waiting in the queue of traffic, you see them waiting to cross the road.
Pass holders of different types do it quite often.

Whilst I see where you are coming from, whether its designed as a P&R or not, its still a service designed to make money.
Scarlet Band put their tender in, the Council accept it. Scarlet Band then make the money to ensure the service is viable.

Andreos1
19 Dec 2014, 8:08 pm #8

I've seen passengers jump on a 20 at Leazes Bowl and get off at the Ford Garage, heading to the P&R.
Might not be the done thing, but it happens. Waiting in the queue of traffic, you see them waiting to cross the road.
Pass holders of different types do it quite often.

Whilst I see where you are coming from, whether its designed as a P&R or not, its still a service designed to make money.
Scarlet Band put their tender in, the Council accept it. Scarlet Band then make the money to ensure the service is viable.

G-CPTN

27 Dec 2014, 4:06 pm #9
Peterlee Bus Station now owned by DCC:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-30610283
G-CPTN
27 Dec 2014, 4:06 pm #9

Peterlee Bus Station now owned by DCC:-

Adrian

27 Dec 2014, 6:37 pm #10
(27 Dec 2014, 4:06 pm)G-CPTN Peterlee Bus Station now owned by DCC:-

So much for being skint.

"Durham County Council now owns all the county's bus stations and has promised "greater co-ordination" of services." - How exactly? They have no control over commercial services.

Adrian
27 Dec 2014, 6:37 pm #10

(27 Dec 2014, 4:06 pm)G-CPTN Peterlee Bus Station now owned by DCC:-

So much for being skint.

"Durham County Council now owns all the county's bus stations and has promised "greater co-ordination" of services." - How exactly? They have no control over commercial services.

Andreos1

27 Dec 2014, 6:54 pm #11
I am actually quite pleased to see DCC purchase the facility.
Although the initial outlay will obviously make a dent in the coffers, revenue raised by charging operators using the facility and any other associated rents, can can only be a good thing.

Obviously their property portfolio is also increasing, so should central government cuts kick in even more, then they can sell these assets for (hopefully) a profit.

Andreos1
27 Dec 2014, 6:54 pm #11

I am actually quite pleased to see DCC purchase the facility.
Although the initial outlay will obviously make a dent in the coffers, revenue raised by charging operators using the facility and any other associated rents, can can only be a good thing.

Obviously their property portfolio is also increasing, so should central government cuts kick in even more, then they can sell these assets for (hopefully) a profit.

Adrian

27 Dec 2014, 7:29 pm #12
(27 Dec 2014, 6:54 pm)Andreos1 I am actually quite pleased to see DCC purchase the facility.

Although it depends how much is charged per departure? Nexus charge 16p per departure from Jarrow bus station, which is probably directly comparable to Peterlee. If you had 20 departures per hour for say 12 hours a day, then it's only going to make them about 14k per annum. It'd cost more than that to staff it?

Adrian
27 Dec 2014, 7:29 pm #12

(27 Dec 2014, 6:54 pm)Andreos1 I am actually quite pleased to see DCC purchase the facility.

Although it depends how much is charged per departure? Nexus charge 16p per departure from Jarrow bus station, which is probably directly comparable to Peterlee. If you had 20 departures per hour for say 12 hours a day, then it's only going to make them about 14k per annum. It'd cost more than that to staff it?

Andreos1

27 Dec 2014, 8:36 pm #13
Of course, the charges being made will have an impact on any profit/loss being made.

As far as I am aware, the land is freehold - so there is one cost which can be eliminated.
The income from operators will make a difference, I have no idea on vehicles per hour passing through Peterlee or what the current rates are, but I genuinely can't see DCC making a regular loss on it. It wouldn't make economic sense (in the current climate or otherwise), to purchase something and make a loss on it.

Maybe an FOI needs submitting Wink

Andreos1
27 Dec 2014, 8:36 pm #13

Of course, the charges being made will have an impact on any profit/loss being made.

As far as I am aware, the land is freehold - so there is one cost which can be eliminated.
The income from operators will make a difference, I have no idea on vehicles per hour passing through Peterlee or what the current rates are, but I genuinely can't see DCC making a regular loss on it. It wouldn't make economic sense (in the current climate or otherwise), to purchase something and make a loss on it.

Maybe an FOI needs submitting Wink

Jimmi

16 Jan 2015, 4:43 pm #14
If anyone is interested you can now get a leaflet map showing all the bus routes in County Durham (similar style to the old Durham Pindar site, but different colours) it is currently available in Durham Bus Station.
Jimmi
16 Jan 2015, 4:43 pm #14

If anyone is interested you can now get a leaflet map showing all the bus routes in County Durham (similar style to the old Durham Pindar site, but different colours) it is currently available in Durham Bus Station.

MurdnunoC

17 Jan 2015, 1:19 pm #15
(16 Jan 2015, 4:43 pm)Jimmi If anyone is interested you can now get a leaflet map showing all the bus routes in County Durham (similar style to the old Durham Pindar site, but different colours) it is currently available in Durham Bus Station.

The maps are generally released every few year or so. I have one from 1992, and another from 2009, produced in the same style. 

It would be even more useful if they were produced every year.
MurdnunoC
17 Jan 2015, 1:19 pm #15

(16 Jan 2015, 4:43 pm)Jimmi If anyone is interested you can now get a leaflet map showing all the bus routes in County Durham (similar style to the old Durham Pindar site, but different colours) it is currently available in Durham Bus Station.

The maps are generally released every few year or so. I have one from 1992, and another from 2009, produced in the same style. 

Jimmi

17 Jan 2015, 1:23 pm #16
(17 Jan 2015, 1:19 pm)MurdnunoC The maps are generally released every few year or so. I have one from 1992, and another from 2009, produced in the same style. 

Yeah, I have the 2009? One and even though it is long out of date it does help me with routes around County Durham, the current one is valid from October 2014 meaning it is already out of date with the X1 becoming the X12 and GNE taking over services 706/707 from Stanley Travel. Still glad I picked up a copy yesterday though.
Jimmi
17 Jan 2015, 1:23 pm #16

(17 Jan 2015, 1:19 pm)MurdnunoC The maps are generally released every few year or so. I have one from 1992, and another from 2009, produced in the same style. 

Yeah, I have the 2009? One and even though it is long out of date it does help me with routes around County Durham, the current one is valid from October 2014 meaning it is already out of date with the X1 becoming the X12 and GNE taking over services 706/707 from Stanley Travel. Still glad I picked up a copy yesterday though.

cbma06

18 Jan 2015, 1:25 pm #17
Last time DCC produced paper format route map was 2011, its ashame that Nexus stopped doing the paper format route map years ago.

cbma06
18 Jan 2015, 1:25 pm #17

Last time DCC produced paper format route map was 2011, its ashame that Nexus stopped doing the paper format route map years ago.

Michael

18 Jan 2015, 1:39 pm #18
(18 Jan 2015, 1:25 pm)cbma06 Last time DCC produced paper format route map was 2011, its ashame that Nexus stopped doing the paper format route map years ago.

I always liked collecting the route maps, someone should email them to ask them to do route maps again!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
18 Jan 2015, 1:39 pm #18

(18 Jan 2015, 1:25 pm)cbma06 Last time DCC produced paper format route map was 2011, its ashame that Nexus stopped doing the paper format route map years ago.

I always liked collecting the route maps, someone should email them to ask them to do route maps again!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

cbma06

18 Jan 2015, 2:33 pm #19
(18 Jan 2015, 1:39 pm)Michael I always liked collecting the route maps, someone should email them to ask them to do route maps again!

I used to like the timetable guides aswell (S1 etc..).  I already emailed them years ago, it seems that by Nexus, the way forward is online and disrequarding paper publication formats.

I used to like the timetable guides aswell (S1 etc..). I already emailed them years ago, it seems that by Nexus, the way forward is online and disrequarding paper publication formats.

(18 Jan 2015, 1:39 pm)Michael I always liked collecting the route maps, someone should email them to ask them to do route maps again!

I used to like the timetable guides aswell (S1 etc..).  I already emailed them years ago, it seems that by Nexus, the way forward is online and disrequarding paper publication formats.
Edited 18 Jan 2015, 2:33 pm by cbma06.

cbma06
18 Jan 2015, 2:33 pm #19

I used to like the timetable guides aswell (S1 etc..). I already emailed them years ago, it seems that by Nexus, the way forward is online and disrequarding paper publication formats.

Andreos1

14 Feb 2015, 4:33 am #20
http://m.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1179...ref=twtrec

Reckon Durham will be best avoided in the summer if it can be helped.

It will be interesting to see if operators will make revisions to services, to combat delays.

Andreos1
14 Feb 2015, 4:33 am #20

http://m.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1179...ref=twtrec

Reckon Durham will be best avoided in the summer if it can be helped.

It will be interesting to see if operators will make revisions to services, to combat delays.

Pages (5): 1 2 35 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average