Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Bank Holiday Services

Bank Holiday Services

Bank Holiday Services

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (16) Previous 19 10 1116 Next
02 Jun 2022, 8:36 pm #181
(02 Jun 2022, 1:33 pm)F114TML Well Stagecoach must be doing something right. I just had a ride around Sunderland and plenty of buses were quite busy (yes it's a bank holiday, but still), only saw one bus that was empty, and that was because it was closely following another on the same route.

I noticed the 'open top' E1 board that 19645 was covering was literally trailing an E300 on the same route for much of the day, effectively competing with themselves!
stagecoachbusdepot
02 Jun 2022, 8:36 pm #181

(02 Jun 2022, 1:33 pm)F114TML Well Stagecoach must be doing something right. I just had a ride around Sunderland and plenty of buses were quite busy (yes it's a bank holiday, but still), only saw one bus that was empty, and that was because it was closely following another on the same route.

I noticed the 'open top' E1 board that 19645 was covering was literally trailing an E300 on the same route for much of the day, effectively competing with themselves!

F114TML

02 Jun 2022, 9:26 pm #182
(02 Jun 2022, 8:36 pm)stagecoachbusdepot I noticed the 'open top' E1 board that 19645 was covering was literally trailing an E300 on the same route for much of the day, effectively competing with themselves!
Interesting - it was two 13s I saw, playing leap frog with each other. The comment was actually in reply to those saying Stagecaoch and Arriva have done nothing to push buses as being covid-safe (although it was vague enough I can see why it was moved - probably should've quoted some posts), only GNE, and yet Stagecoach are doing very well in terms of passenger numbers from what I've seen.
F114TML
02 Jun 2022, 9:26 pm #182

(02 Jun 2022, 8:36 pm)stagecoachbusdepot I noticed the 'open top' E1 board that 19645 was covering was literally trailing an E300 on the same route for much of the day, effectively competing with themselves!
Interesting - it was two 13s I saw, playing leap frog with each other. The comment was actually in reply to those saying Stagecaoch and Arriva have done nothing to push buses as being covid-safe (although it was vague enough I can see why it was moved - probably should've quoted some posts), only GNE, and yet Stagecoach are doing very well in terms of passenger numbers from what I've seen.

Ambassador

02 Jun 2022, 9:32 pm #183
Very much like the issue with trains really…

The commuter market is all but gone, the leisure market is booming.

Timetables and mentality still favour the traditional weekday working market over the leisure market

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
02 Jun 2022, 9:32 pm #183

Very much like the issue with trains really…

Timetables and mentality still favour the traditional weekday working market over the leisure market

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

Storx

02 Jun 2022, 9:43 pm #184
(02 Jun 2022, 9:32 pm)Ambassador Very much like the issue with trains really…

In fairness there's still very much so a commuter market, buses are still much busier in the morning and evening peak.

It's the bit inbetween 10am - 3pm'ish that is the problem since pensioners are scared to use the bus and everyone else is working so there's no / little demand anywhere.

How you fix that without getting the pensioners back on the bus, who knows but there's no point running bus services to bowling alleys and the like during those times.
Storx
02 Jun 2022, 9:43 pm #184

(02 Jun 2022, 9:32 pm)Ambassador Very much like the issue with trains really…

In fairness there's still very much so a commuter market, buses are still much busier in the morning and evening peak.

It's the bit inbetween 10am - 3pm'ish that is the problem since pensioners are scared to use the bus and everyone else is working so there's no / little demand anywhere.

How you fix that without getting the pensioners back on the bus, who knows but there's no point running bus services to bowling alleys and the like during those times.

02 Jun 2022, 10:37 pm #185
(02 Jun 2022, 9:43 pm)Storx In fairness there's still very much so a commuter market, buses are still much busier in the morning and evening peak.

I thought pensioners were the problem because they use ENCTS and the operators don't get to squeeze enough profit out of that?  I'm sure the argument has been made on here that a bus full of conc pass holders is not commercially viable etc etc
stagecoachbusdepot
02 Jun 2022, 10:37 pm #185

(02 Jun 2022, 9:43 pm)Storx In fairness there's still very much so a commuter market, buses are still much busier in the morning and evening peak.

I thought pensioners were the problem because they use ENCTS and the operators don't get to squeeze enough profit out of that?  I'm sure the argument has been made on here that a bus full of conc pass holders is not commercially viable etc etc

Storx

03 Jun 2022, 5:54 am #186
(02 Jun 2022, 10:37 pm)stagecoachbusdepot I thought pensioners were the problem because they use ENCTS and the operators don't get to squeeze enough profit out of that?  I'm sure the argument has been made on here that a bus full of conc pass holders is not commercially viable etc etc

Aye I have heard that before but I'm sure a bus full of ENCTS holders is better than a bus carrying fresh air instead. 

Lets be honest there's not many other people you can carry during the day really. There's not much of a leisure market at 11am on a Tuesday hence most places are dead or if they're not it's pensioners.
Storx
03 Jun 2022, 5:54 am #186

(02 Jun 2022, 10:37 pm)stagecoachbusdepot I thought pensioners were the problem because they use ENCTS and the operators don't get to squeeze enough profit out of that?  I'm sure the argument has been made on here that a bus full of conc pass holders is not commercially viable etc etc

Aye I have heard that before but I'm sure a bus full of ENCTS holders is better than a bus carrying fresh air instead. 

Lets be honest there's not many other people you can carry during the day really. There's not much of a leisure market at 11am on a Tuesday hence most places are dead or if they're not it's pensioners.

Jack Gill

03 Jun 2022, 7:32 am #187
I'm guessing there was a lot of demand for GNE 78 as it seems to have deckers on today.
Jack Gill
03 Jun 2022, 7:32 am #187

I'm guessing there was a lot of demand for GNE 78 as it seems to have deckers on today.

Adrian

03 Jun 2022, 6:10 pm #188
Thought I'd spend some time today experiencing the bank holiday services myself. I've already got a GNE All Zones ticket, so I limited what I did to GNE's services, before it's suggested that I'm picking on one particular operator! 

Journey log below:
.png
2022-06-03.PNG
Size 24.49 KB / Downloads 9

I tried to vary as much as possible, using services or sections I generally don't use, but where I could also see volumes on other services. 

I didn't have any issues at all when I was out. Everything was just about on time, with the biggest delay being a couple of minutes. Aside from the Concord to Washington Galleries section on that 11.16 service 50 I used (which appeared to be running fully decker today), loadings were absolutely fine. There wasn't an instance where anyone had to stand and in fact, most people had a pair of seats to themselves. 

The busiest services I spotted were the X1, 20 and the 53/54. I'd say the X1 in particular, probably needs to have it's own timetable for bank holidays, as will some other services if these proposed changes go through... I can't imagine a two-hourly X10 being very pleasant to travel on, on a bank holiday! The 20, I was surprised wasn't being ran with deckers, given the SOL gig tonight and it being a nice day for the coast. That being said, Stagecoach were similarly running a largely single deck operation on the E1/E2/E6.

Bus stations I visited were generally quite busy. It felt more like Saturday volumes than a Sunday, but that's probably the result of a decent loading going out on one bus, rather than being drip fed across the hour on several. I also noticed a lack of timetable information out at Gateshead and the Metrocentre. Maybe the racks have been given the long weekend off?

In summary, from what I've seen today, the current Sunday service can cope with a bank holiday loads on the most part. I think there's certain services that need a special bank holiday timetable, others ran with deckers and earlier services for retail workers. Recognising that a lot of retail generally runs normal Saturday hours on a bank holiday.

The other thing to point out is that people on here (and I've been guilty of it myself) are often quick to condemn operators to hell based on twitter posts, from the comfort of their armchairs, but the service provided really isn't bad at all.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
03 Jun 2022, 6:10 pm #188

Thought I'd spend some time today experiencing the bank holiday services myself. I've already got a GNE All Zones ticket, so I limited what I did to GNE's services, before it's suggested that I'm picking on one particular operator! 

Journey log below:

.png
2022-06-03.PNG
Size 24.49 KB / Downloads 9

I tried to vary as much as possible, using services or sections I generally don't use, but where I could also see volumes on other services. 

I didn't have any issues at all when I was out. Everything was just about on time, with the biggest delay being a couple of minutes. Aside from the Concord to Washington Galleries section on that 11.16 service 50 I used (which appeared to be running fully decker today), loadings were absolutely fine. There wasn't an instance where anyone had to stand and in fact, most people had a pair of seats to themselves. 

The busiest services I spotted were the X1, 20 and the 53/54. I'd say the X1 in particular, probably needs to have it's own timetable for bank holidays, as will some other services if these proposed changes go through... I can't imagine a two-hourly X10 being very pleasant to travel on, on a bank holiday! The 20, I was surprised wasn't being ran with deckers, given the SOL gig tonight and it being a nice day for the coast. That being said, Stagecoach were similarly running a largely single deck operation on the E1/E2/E6.

Bus stations I visited were generally quite busy. It felt more like Saturday volumes than a Sunday, but that's probably the result of a decent loading going out on one bus, rather than being drip fed across the hour on several. I also noticed a lack of timetable information out at Gateshead and the Metrocentre. Maybe the racks have been given the long weekend off?

In summary, from what I've seen today, the current Sunday service can cope with a bank holiday loads on the most part. I think there's certain services that need a special bank holiday timetable, others ran with deckers and earlier services for retail workers. Recognising that a lot of retail generally runs normal Saturday hours on a bank holiday.

The other thing to point out is that people on here (and I've been guilty of it myself) are often quick to condemn operators to hell based on twitter posts, from the comfort of their armchairs, but the service provided really isn't bad at all.

Unber43

03 Jun 2022, 8:46 pm #189
(03 Jun 2022, 6:10 pm)Adrian Thought I'd spend some time today experiencing the bank holiday services myself. I've already got a GNE All Zones ticket, so I limited what I did to GNE's services, before it's suggested that I'm picking on one particular operator! 

Journey log below:

Really I think maybe X20 (Langley between Durham), 20, X1, X21, 21.
Unber43
03 Jun 2022, 8:46 pm #189

(03 Jun 2022, 6:10 pm)Adrian Thought I'd spend some time today experiencing the bank holiday services myself. I've already got a GNE All Zones ticket, so I limited what I did to GNE's services, before it's suggested that I'm picking on one particular operator! 

Journey log below:

Really I think maybe X20 (Langley between Durham), 20, X1, X21, 21.

Adrian

03 Jun 2022, 9:18 pm #190
(03 Jun 2022, 8:46 pm)Unber43 Really I think maybe X20 (Langley between Durham), 20, X1, X21, 21.

Based on what you've seen over the past few days or assumptions?

X20 between Langley Park and Durham does nothing. I'd suggest that the proposed retention of this section in the consultation is to retain some form of service on a Sunday, not because its the most heavily used part of the route.

The 20 is an odd one IMO. If you get warm weather, then I think you'll get more people travelling to the coast and it warrants deckers on a bank holiday. On the other hand though, if it's not great weather, I can't see many people using it beyond Sunderland. 

I didn't see much of the 21/X21 to be able to comment.

Adrian
03 Jun 2022, 9:18 pm #190

(03 Jun 2022, 8:46 pm)Unber43 Really I think maybe X20 (Langley between Durham), 20, X1, X21, 21.

Based on what you've seen over the past few days or assumptions?

X20 between Langley Park and Durham does nothing. I'd suggest that the proposed retention of this section in the consultation is to retain some form of service on a Sunday, not because its the most heavily used part of the route.

The 20 is an odd one IMO. If you get warm weather, then I think you'll get more people travelling to the coast and it warrants deckers on a bank holiday. On the other hand though, if it's not great weather, I can't see many people using it beyond Sunderland. 

Unber43

03 Jun 2022, 9:31 pm #191
(03 Jun 2022, 9:18 pm)Adrian Based on what you've seen over the past few days or assumptions?

What I have seen, I would say the 65 & 20 are odd, theyve been very busy over the past few days, however this could be that not many people knew/thought of it as a bank holiday. I think the 20 definitely need a bank hoilday service. 

21/X21 I definitely think need a bank hoilday timetable every 15 mins between CLS-Newcastle, you could have X21 every 30 mins, West Aukland>Newcastle, then have one West Auckland>Chester-Le-Street (turning into a 21)
Unber43
03 Jun 2022, 9:31 pm #191

(03 Jun 2022, 9:18 pm)Adrian Based on what you've seen over the past few days or assumptions?

What I have seen, I would say the 65 & 20 are odd, theyve been very busy over the past few days, however this could be that not many people knew/thought of it as a bank holiday. I think the 20 definitely need a bank hoilday service. 

21/X21 I definitely think need a bank hoilday timetable every 15 mins between CLS-Newcastle, you could have X21 every 30 mins, West Aukland>Newcastle, then have one West Auckland>Chester-Le-Street (turning into a 21)

03 Jun 2022, 10:24 pm #192

The 20 doesn't touch the coast, or even go particularly near it.  If the Economics can manage with single decks on a sunny bank holiday I suspect the 20 can too.
stagecoachbusdepot
03 Jun 2022, 10:24 pm #192

The 20 doesn't touch the coast, or even go particularly near it.  If the Economics can manage with single decks on a sunny bank holiday I suspect the 20 can too.

28 Aug 2022, 11:30 am #193
What service will GNE be running tomorrow with it being a bank holiday, they don't seem to have put any information out.

I assume it'll just be a Sunday service?
streetdeckfan
28 Aug 2022, 11:30 am #193

What service will GNE be running tomorrow with it being a bank holiday, they don't seem to have put any information out.

I assume it'll just be a Sunday service?

F114TML

28 Aug 2022, 11:50 am #194
Normally is a sunday service so presumably that's what they're running. Or rather attempting to run.
F114TML
28 Aug 2022, 11:50 am #194

Normally is a sunday service so presumably that's what they're running. Or rather attempting to run.

Unber43

28 Aug 2022, 11:58 am #195
GNE should really bring out Bank Holiday timetable for certain services
Unber43
28 Aug 2022, 11:58 am #195

GNE should really bring out Bank Holiday timetable for certain services

N1cholas

28 Aug 2022, 12:11 pm #196
The year 2022 and people still dont know that sunday service operates every bank holiday no matter if it is a monday or friday it will never change
N1cholas
28 Aug 2022, 12:11 pm #196

The year 2022 and people still dont know that sunday service operates every bank holiday no matter if it is a monday or friday it will never change

28 Aug 2022, 12:18 pm #197
(28 Aug 2022, 12:11 pm)N1cholas The year 2022 and people still dont know that sunday service operates every bank holiday no matter if it is a monday or friday it will never change

Yes, but they normally put something out to say it's running to a Sunday service.
streetdeckfan
28 Aug 2022, 12:18 pm #197

(28 Aug 2022, 12:11 pm)N1cholas The year 2022 and people still dont know that sunday service operates every bank holiday no matter if it is a monday or friday it will never change

Yes, but they normally put something out to say it's running to a Sunday service.

Adrian

28 Aug 2022, 12:48 pm #198
(28 Aug 2022, 11:58 am)Unber43 GNE should really bring out Bank Holiday timetable for certain services
With what drivers? They and others are struggling to cover a normal Sunday service at the min, without giving yourself more of a problem. Not to mention that rota changes need a minimum period of notice.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Adrian
28 Aug 2022, 12:48 pm #198

(28 Aug 2022, 11:58 am)Unber43 GNE should really bring out Bank Holiday timetable for certain services
With what drivers? They and others are struggling to cover a normal Sunday service at the min, without giving yourself more of a problem. Not to mention that rota changes need a minimum period of notice.

Adrian

28 Aug 2022, 12:53 pm #199

This is one of the reasons the industry will always fail to be an attractive option for people travelling.

Retail, leisure and work patterns have changed, but largely there's been a failure to adapt to them. Most town and city centres are now becoming leisure hot spots, as traditional retail is declining. This should be easy picking for bus operators, because unlike retail, people going out for food and drink generally (or I hope!) don't take their car.

Yet for many, its not worth the hassle of taking the bus on a Sunday or Bank Holiday. Frequencies are dire, demand outweighs capacity on key routes, and its generally a frustrating experience.

Adrian
28 Aug 2022, 12:53 pm #199

This is one of the reasons the industry will always fail to be an attractive option for people travelling.

Retail, leisure and work patterns have changed, but largely there's been a failure to adapt to them. Most town and city centres are now becoming leisure hot spots, as traditional retail is declining. This should be easy picking for bus operators, because unlike retail, people going out for food and drink generally (or I hope!) don't take their car.

Yet for many, its not worth the hassle of taking the bus on a Sunday or Bank Holiday. Frequencies are dire, demand outweighs capacity on key routes, and its generally a frustrating experience.

28 Aug 2022, 1:23 pm #200
(28 Aug 2022, 12:53 pm)Adrian This is one of the reasons the industry will always fail to be an attractive option for people travelling.

For most people (or at least everybody that I know) Sundays and Bank Holidays are just normal days now, so why are operators still treating them as if they're special?

They can say it's because there aren't enough passengers, but why is that?

On a Sunday, I lose my direct half hourly services to Newcastle and Darlington, and go from 6 buses an hour to Durham, to one. It's literally not worth the risk to try and travel by bus on a Sunday!
streetdeckfan
28 Aug 2022, 1:23 pm #200

(28 Aug 2022, 12:53 pm)Adrian This is one of the reasons the industry will always fail to be an attractive option for people travelling.

For most people (or at least everybody that I know) Sundays and Bank Holidays are just normal days now, so why are operators still treating them as if they're special?

They can say it's because there aren't enough passengers, but why is that?

On a Sunday, I lose my direct half hourly services to Newcastle and Darlington, and go from 6 buses an hour to Durham, to one. It's literally not worth the risk to try and travel by bus on a Sunday!

Pages (16) Previous 19 10 1116 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average