Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Bank Holiday Services

Bank Holiday Services

Bank Holiday Services

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (16) Previous 114 15 16 Next
Storx

14 Sep 2022, 9:40 pm #281
You think shops were being shut for 2 weeks, it's one day. Most people, especially those who generally shop during the day - Mondays are always quiet anyway, will be watching the Queens Funeral so there's no point being open.

Do people not work on here or something as it seems like everyone has Monday - Friday free to do whatever they want?... There also seems to be a lot of Monday shoppers on here.

Then again this is the place where people think there should be an extensive Christmas Day bus service so they can get some rare workings and ride on buses when everyone else is celebrating with their family.
Storx
14 Sep 2022, 9:40 pm #281

You think shops were being shut for 2 weeks, it's one day. Most people, especially those who generally shop during the day - Mondays are always quiet anyway, will be watching the Queens Funeral so there's no point being open.

Do people not work on here or something as it seems like everyone has Monday - Friday free to do whatever they want?... There also seems to be a lot of Monday shoppers on here.

Then again this is the place where people think there should be an extensive Christmas Day bus service so they can get some rare workings and ride on buses when everyone else is celebrating with their family.

Adrian

15 Sep 2022, 10:01 am #282
(14 Sep 2022, 9:17 pm)Drifter60 I must say I think the comment about shopping day to day and budgeting is a stretching it. Getting to the shops each day (unless you’re walking) is going to cost something, bus fare/petrol. Which isn’t the best way to run a budget, plan meals and do a modest weekly shop, or at least a few days worth. And even if you’re walking, the vast majority don’t close to a ‘big supermarket’ so you’re probably going to the spar or coop who are Convenience Stores and they charge a premium.

I don't intend to turn the thread into a discussion on poverty, but in reply to this; it's not stretching it at all, when you have almost 15 million people living in poverty in the UK. You might find it easy to say what you believe people should be doing differently, but the reality of it is much different - which you'll find out from talking to people and trying to understand.

Anyone who isn't living under a rock would have seen how energy bills have risen this year, which often leaves those living in poverty (and using pre-payment meters) the choice between energy or food. They struggle to forecast whether they need energy credit, and the outcome of that factors what budget they'll have for food and other essentials.

Of course, there's sometimes an educational disadvantage, which can impact decision making. But isn't as simple as telling people they should budget better, plan meals or do a weekly shop, when they're living on so little money.

(14 Sep 2022, 9:40 pm)Storx You think shops were being shut for 2 weeks, it's one day. Most people, especially those who generally shop during the day - Mondays are always quiet anyway, will be watching the Queens Funeral so there's no point being open.

It's a bit flippant to suggest that a Christmas Day bus service would only benefit enthusiasts, isn't it? It completely dismisses the idea that having even a skeleton service is of benefit to the communities served. The idea that people want to spend the day sitting in their house on a bank holiday is as outdated as the idea that everyone goes to Church on a Sunday.

Most of us don't have Monday to Friday free to do what we want. Some will only have Sunday evening and through to Monday evening as a rest day, for example, and then go back to providing critical services. It's why it's a complete nonsense shutting essential services, in some authoritarian manner to force people to watch the funeral of an outdated concept.

As much as you may want to add jibes to suggest that people don't work, the reality is that everyone's circumstances are different.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
15 Sep 2022, 10:01 am #282

(14 Sep 2022, 9:17 pm)Drifter60 I must say I think the comment about shopping day to day and budgeting is a stretching it. Getting to the shops each day (unless you’re walking) is going to cost something, bus fare/petrol. Which isn’t the best way to run a budget, plan meals and do a modest weekly shop, or at least a few days worth. And even if you’re walking, the vast majority don’t close to a ‘big supermarket’ so you’re probably going to the spar or coop who are Convenience Stores and they charge a premium.

I don't intend to turn the thread into a discussion on poverty, but in reply to this; it's not stretching it at all, when you have almost 15 million people living in poverty in the UK. You might find it easy to say what you believe people should be doing differently, but the reality of it is much different - which you'll find out from talking to people and trying to understand.

Anyone who isn't living under a rock would have seen how energy bills have risen this year, which often leaves those living in poverty (and using pre-payment meters) the choice between energy or food. They struggle to forecast whether they need energy credit, and the outcome of that factors what budget they'll have for food and other essentials.

Of course, there's sometimes an educational disadvantage, which can impact decision making. But isn't as simple as telling people they should budget better, plan meals or do a weekly shop, when they're living on so little money.

(14 Sep 2022, 9:40 pm)Storx You think shops were being shut for 2 weeks, it's one day. Most people, especially those who generally shop during the day - Mondays are always quiet anyway, will be watching the Queens Funeral so there's no point being open.

It's a bit flippant to suggest that a Christmas Day bus service would only benefit enthusiasts, isn't it? It completely dismisses the idea that having even a skeleton service is of benefit to the communities served. The idea that people want to spend the day sitting in their house on a bank holiday is as outdated as the idea that everyone goes to Church on a Sunday.

Most of us don't have Monday to Friday free to do what we want. Some will only have Sunday evening and through to Monday evening as a rest day, for example, and then go back to providing critical services. It's why it's a complete nonsense shutting essential services, in some authoritarian manner to force people to watch the funeral of an outdated concept.

As much as you may want to add jibes to suggest that people don't work, the reality is that everyone's circumstances are different.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Storx

15 Sep 2022, 10:45 am #283
(15 Sep 2022, 10:01 am)Adrian It's a bit flippant to suggest that a Christmas Day bus service would only benefit enthusiasts, isn't it? It completely dismisses the idea that having even a skeleton service is of benefit to the communities served. The idea that people want to spend the day sitting in their house on a bank holiday is as outdated as the idea that everyone goes to Church on a Sunday.

I have to agree to disagree on the Christmas Day front, there's no demand for it. The bus network up here is all geared to head towards large towns and cities where no-one wants to be on Christmas Day so they will cart around fresh air. Not to mention who's going to drive these, the vast majority of people want to spend time with their family and friends, instead you now want to drag them to drive buses or work in the engineering department to carry single figures all day.

On the bank holiday front, Christmas Day and next Monday are different. Next Monday is for mourning a Queen, who a lot of the country massively respected - there's currently 3 hour queues in London to see her coffin which shows how much people do care.

If you don't want to mourn the Queen that's your choice but don't expect people to go out their way to cater for you, there's plenty stuff people can do; go walk along the beach, go climb a hill, go visit the park, go visit friends and family, heck go take photos of buses etc. There's 363 other days to go shopping at John Lewis or Next, some supermarkets are open after 5pm for those who need shopping. It's the same hours as a Sunday just later - 6 hours.

Now outdated Sunday trading laws is another debate altogether but that's for another thread.
Storx
15 Sep 2022, 10:45 am #283

(15 Sep 2022, 10:01 am)Adrian It's a bit flippant to suggest that a Christmas Day bus service would only benefit enthusiasts, isn't it? It completely dismisses the idea that having even a skeleton service is of benefit to the communities served. The idea that people want to spend the day sitting in their house on a bank holiday is as outdated as the idea that everyone goes to Church on a Sunday.

I have to agree to disagree on the Christmas Day front, there's no demand for it. The bus network up here is all geared to head towards large towns and cities where no-one wants to be on Christmas Day so they will cart around fresh air. Not to mention who's going to drive these, the vast majority of people want to spend time with their family and friends, instead you now want to drag them to drive buses or work in the engineering department to carry single figures all day.

On the bank holiday front, Christmas Day and next Monday are different. Next Monday is for mourning a Queen, who a lot of the country massively respected - there's currently 3 hour queues in London to see her coffin which shows how much people do care.

If you don't want to mourn the Queen that's your choice but don't expect people to go out their way to cater for you, there's plenty stuff people can do; go walk along the beach, go climb a hill, go visit the park, go visit friends and family, heck go take photos of buses etc. There's 363 other days to go shopping at John Lewis or Next, some supermarkets are open after 5pm for those who need shopping. It's the same hours as a Sunday just later - 6 hours.

Now outdated Sunday trading laws is another debate altogether but that's for another thread.

Chris 1

15 Sep 2022, 11:06 am #284
(14 Sep 2022, 6:43 pm)TEN 6083 It’s getting a bit ridiculous now tbh. I’ve seen posts of:

- funerals being cancelled
- operations being cancelled
- cancer treatments cancelled
- some petrol stations closed
- food banks closed

What’re they going to do next, the NHS come out and say don’t get ill or have a baby that day as there’ll be no doctors or midwives working that day as a “mark of respect”. The REAL reason they’re all jumping on the bandwagon of mass hysteria is because they don’t want bad press calling them out saying “they’re being disrespectful”.

Petrol stations and shops need to remain open as they are essential services. The entire situation is getting on my nerves now. I’m all for respecting Her Majesty for all she has done over the past 70 years but not at the expense of people’s livelihoods and especially with the current cost of living crisis as people will possibly lose out on wages.

A lot of these companies seem to think everyone will want to sit and watch the funeral when that is clearly not the case from what I’ve seen on various social media platforms. Some people actually do want to go to work and earn money to keep a roof over their heads and their PR obsessed bosses are too blind to see it.

The Nisa Local across the road from my place will only be closed during the funeral service and then it reopens at 2pm. This is what food shops / stores should be doing not closed for the entire day.

Sent from my iPhone 13 Pro using Tapatalk

Business as usual for patient services at my local hospital, though not sure if that's a national thing or just locally decided.
Chris 1
15 Sep 2022, 11:06 am #284

(14 Sep 2022, 6:43 pm)TEN 6083 It’s getting a bit ridiculous now tbh. I’ve seen posts of:

- funerals being cancelled
- operations being cancelled
- cancer treatments cancelled
- some petrol stations closed
- food banks closed

What’re they going to do next, the NHS come out and say don’t get ill or have a baby that day as there’ll be no doctors or midwives working that day as a “mark of respect”. The REAL reason they’re all jumping on the bandwagon of mass hysteria is because they don’t want bad press calling them out saying “they’re being disrespectful”.

Petrol stations and shops need to remain open as they are essential services. The entire situation is getting on my nerves now. I’m all for respecting Her Majesty for all she has done over the past 70 years but not at the expense of people’s livelihoods and especially with the current cost of living crisis as people will possibly lose out on wages.

A lot of these companies seem to think everyone will want to sit and watch the funeral when that is clearly not the case from what I’ve seen on various social media platforms. Some people actually do want to go to work and earn money to keep a roof over their heads and their PR obsessed bosses are too blind to see it.

The Nisa Local across the road from my place will only be closed during the funeral service and then it reopens at 2pm. This is what food shops / stores should be doing not closed for the entire day.

Sent from my iPhone 13 Pro using Tapatalk

Business as usual for patient services at my local hospital, though not sure if that's a national thing or just locally decided.

15 Sep 2022, 1:00 pm #285
The Queen that I prefer consists of Roger Taylor and Brian May.

[Image: imageHandler.php?user=wibblejunior]
wibblejunior
15 Sep 2022, 1:00 pm #285

The Queen that I prefer consists of Roger Taylor and Brian May.

[Image: imageHandler.php?user=wibblejunior]

Drifter60

15 Sep 2022, 3:02 pm #286
(15 Sep 2022, 10:01 am)Adrian I don't intend to turn the thread into a discussion on poverty, but in reply to this; it's not stretching it at all, when you have almost 15 million people living in poverty in the UK. You might find it easy to say what you believe people should be doing differently, but the reality of it is much different - which you'll find out from talking to people and trying to understand.

Again also sorry to continue this one but I feel I have to come back on this.

I’m not dismissing poverty far from it, I’m also not dismissing the cost of living crisis with food bills rising and energy bills even more so. All I’m saying is that I can’t see shutting Tesco for one day having any sort of impact. And certainly not the level it seemed you tried to imply. 

I am lucky that I’m not someone who is worrying that my electric will go off or worrying where the next meal is coming from, so I appreciate I speak from a place of ‘somewhat’ privilege, but I’m also someone has seen the other side. I’m from a working class area where these struggles are real. I’m not sitting in an ivory tower like you seem to accuse me of. All I am saying is that I’m not sure are struggling families and individuals will struggle any more due to the fact Aldi and Sainsbury's are closed for one day. Surely they can get to the shops the day before? In fact there may be some good deals on Sunday with reduced items that won’t be able to get sold on the Monday. And as I think I mentioned, I’m sure most Asda stores are actually opening at 5pm on Monday so anyone who does need essentials can go then. 

One thing I will agree on is there is education barriers to things such as financial advice and this is where sometimes things such as PHSE in schools needs to be off focus too and not just after thought after English, Maths and Science.
Drifter60
15 Sep 2022, 3:02 pm #286

(15 Sep 2022, 10:01 am)Adrian I don't intend to turn the thread into a discussion on poverty, but in reply to this; it's not stretching it at all, when you have almost 15 million people living in poverty in the UK. You might find it easy to say what you believe people should be doing differently, but the reality of it is much different - which you'll find out from talking to people and trying to understand.

Again also sorry to continue this one but I feel I have to come back on this.

I’m not dismissing poverty far from it, I’m also not dismissing the cost of living crisis with food bills rising and energy bills even more so. All I’m saying is that I can’t see shutting Tesco for one day having any sort of impact. And certainly not the level it seemed you tried to imply. 

I am lucky that I’m not someone who is worrying that my electric will go off or worrying where the next meal is coming from, so I appreciate I speak from a place of ‘somewhat’ privilege, but I’m also someone has seen the other side. I’m from a working class area where these struggles are real. I’m not sitting in an ivory tower like you seem to accuse me of. All I am saying is that I’m not sure are struggling families and individuals will struggle any more due to the fact Aldi and Sainsbury's are closed for one day. Surely they can get to the shops the day before? In fact there may be some good deals on Sunday with reduced items that won’t be able to get sold on the Monday. And as I think I mentioned, I’m sure most Asda stores are actually opening at 5pm on Monday so anyone who does need essentials can go then. 

One thing I will agree on is there is education barriers to things such as financial advice and this is where sometimes things such as PHSE in schools needs to be off focus too and not just after thought after English, Maths and Science.

15 Sep 2022, 5:12 pm #287
(14 Sep 2022, 7:20 am)Storx The reason they will be shutting is because a lot of people will be watching the Queen's funeral especially pensioners who is usually all that shops on a Monday anyway. 

There's no demand to be open so why bother wasting money for the 15 people who will come in all day.

What about the home deliveries that have already been booked? The thousands of elderly, vulnerable or isolated people who now have to rebook their slots...

Tesco etc are shut the whole day, is everybody watching the funeral on repeat when its done?

Schools are closed on Monday as a "mark of respect", I'm sure that's what the Queen would have wanted - children missing out on their education and, in the case of those in poverty, their dinner too.
omnicity4659
15 Sep 2022, 5:12 pm #287

(14 Sep 2022, 7:20 am)Storx The reason they will be shutting is because a lot of people will be watching the Queen's funeral especially pensioners who is usually all that shops on a Monday anyway. 

There's no demand to be open so why bother wasting money for the 15 people who will come in all day.

What about the home deliveries that have already been booked? The thousands of elderly, vulnerable or isolated people who now have to rebook their slots...

Tesco etc are shut the whole day, is everybody watching the funeral on repeat when its done?

Schools are closed on Monday as a "mark of respect", I'm sure that's what the Queen would have wanted - children missing out on their education and, in the case of those in poverty, their dinner too.

15 Sep 2022, 5:17 pm #288
(15 Sep 2022, 5:12 pm)omnicity4659 What about the home deliveries that have already been booked? The thousands of elderly, vulnerable or isolated people who now have to rebook their slots...

They have to spend the rest of the day sitting in the house balling their eyes out of course!
streetdeckfan
15 Sep 2022, 5:17 pm #288

(15 Sep 2022, 5:12 pm)omnicity4659 What about the home deliveries that have already been booked? The thousands of elderly, vulnerable or isolated people who now have to rebook their slots...

They have to spend the rest of the day sitting in the house balling their eyes out of course!

Charles41

15 Sep 2022, 6:32 pm #289
Well I'll be showing my respect by going for a nice drive in the countryside.

Charles
Charles41
15 Sep 2022, 6:32 pm #289

Well I'll be showing my respect by going for a nice drive in the countryside.

Charles

15 Sep 2022, 6:38 pm #290
(15 Sep 2022, 5:17 pm)streetdeckfan They have to spend the rest of the day sitting in the house balling their eyes out of course!
I'll be out on my bike, regardless of who says it's disrespectful.
54APhotography
15 Sep 2022, 6:38 pm #290

(15 Sep 2022, 5:17 pm)streetdeckfan They have to spend the rest of the day sitting in the house balling their eyes out of course!
I'll be out on my bike, regardless of who says it's disrespectful.

Charles41

15 Sep 2022, 6:48 pm #291
Funny how two years ago you had to stand two metres apart, wear a mask and follow "hands face space".

Now you are expected to show respect by waiting in a big queue over four miles long with no mask and no social distancing. After traveling from all over the country to get to London.

Anyone else feel perhaps our government was not exactly honest with us when it came to Covid.

Charles
Charles41
15 Sep 2022, 6:48 pm #291

Funny how two years ago you had to stand two metres apart, wear a mask and follow "hands face space".

Now you are expected to show respect by waiting in a big queue over four miles long with no mask and no social distancing. After traveling from all over the country to get to London.

Anyone else feel perhaps our government was not exactly honest with us when it came to Covid.

Charles

Unber43

15 Sep 2022, 7:06 pm #292
(15 Sep 2022, 6:48 pm)Charles41 Funny how two years ago you had to stand two metres apart, wear a mask and follow "hands face space".

Charles
I just feel like COVID was very and still is serious however with vacinnes and what people went through people are just sick of it.
Unber43
15 Sep 2022, 7:06 pm #292

(15 Sep 2022, 6:48 pm)Charles41 Funny how two years ago you had to stand two metres apart, wear a mask and follow "hands face space".

Charles
I just feel like COVID was very and still is serious however with vacinnes and what people went through people are just sick of it.

Charles41

15 Sep 2022, 7:20 pm #293
Oh and here's another thing if we are paying respect to the queen for her 'service' then why are so many GNE buses going around with 'not in service' on the display.

It's plain disrespectful if you ask me.

Charles
Charles41
15 Sep 2022, 7:20 pm #293

Oh and here's another thing if we are paying respect to the queen for her 'service' then why are so many GNE buses going around with 'not in service' on the display.

It's plain disrespectful if you ask me.

Charles

F114TML

15 Sep 2022, 7:24 pm #294
If the supermarket has an ounce of sense they'll automatically rebook it (probably for Tuesday and shuffle other people around) surely?
F114TML
15 Sep 2022, 7:24 pm #294

If the supermarket has an ounce of sense they'll automatically rebook it (probably for Tuesday and shuffle other people around) surely?

Unber43

15 Sep 2022, 7:43 pm #295
(15 Sep 2022, 7:24 pm)F114TML If the supermarket has an ounce of sense they'll automatically rebook it (probably for Tuesday and shuffle other people around) surely?
I know people with driving tests booked they've been moved to the next available slot which I think is January
Unber43
15 Sep 2022, 7:43 pm #295

(15 Sep 2022, 7:24 pm)F114TML If the supermarket has an ounce of sense they'll automatically rebook it (probably for Tuesday and shuffle other people around) surely?
I know people with driving tests booked they've been moved to the next available slot which I think is January

Charles41

15 Sep 2022, 8:01 pm #296
When I found out that the supermarket would be closed for the funeral I immediately went to my local Tesco and started panic buying. I now have 80 packets of loo roll and 300 tins of beans.

God save the king.

Charles
Charles41
15 Sep 2022, 8:01 pm #296

When I found out that the supermarket would be closed for the funeral I immediately went to my local Tesco and started panic buying. I now have 80 packets of loo roll and 300 tins of beans.

God save the king.

Charles

Jimmi

15 Sep 2022, 9:49 pm #297
I'll likely be spending the day thinking of the money I've pissed away on train tickets that I no longer wish to use on Monday cos nothing much is open and because TOCs and booking agents aren't playing ball and are not acting in accordance to what has been set out by National Rail for the day in question making the already infuriating dealings with customer services pushing me to breaking point.

I was pretty neutral on the whole thing but the last few days of trying to get things like this resolved but considering that I may as may as well be addressing this to a brick wall with the clock ticking is proving stressful and it's looking like I'll be out of pocket to be sat inside feeling miserable all day.
Jimmi
15 Sep 2022, 9:49 pm #297

I'll likely be spending the day thinking of the money I've pissed away on train tickets that I no longer wish to use on Monday cos nothing much is open and because TOCs and booking agents aren't playing ball and are not acting in accordance to what has been set out by National Rail for the day in question making the already infuriating dealings with customer services pushing me to breaking point.

I was pretty neutral on the whole thing but the last few days of trying to get things like this resolved but considering that I may as may as well be addressing this to a brick wall with the clock ticking is proving stressful and it's looking like I'll be out of pocket to be sat inside feeling miserable all day.

15 Sep 2022, 10:22 pm #298
(15 Sep 2022, 9:49 pm)Jimmi I'll likely be spending the day thinking of the money I've pissed away on train tickets that I no longer wish to use on Monday cos nothing much is open and because TOCs and booking agents aren't playing ball and are not acting in accordance to what has been set out by National Rail for the day in question making the already infuriating dealings with customer services pushing me to breaking point.

Have a trip down to London to stand in a queue to look at a box!
streetdeckfan
15 Sep 2022, 10:22 pm #298

(15 Sep 2022, 9:49 pm)Jimmi I'll likely be spending the day thinking of the money I've pissed away on train tickets that I no longer wish to use on Monday cos nothing much is open and because TOCs and booking agents aren't playing ball and are not acting in accordance to what has been set out by National Rail for the day in question making the already infuriating dealings with customer services pushing me to breaking point.

Have a trip down to London to stand in a queue to look at a box!

Ambassador

16 Sep 2022, 11:16 am #299

If you've paid by card just initiate a charge back - that tends to get their attention. 

I was due to be at a conference on Monday - train down and plane up. LNER were excellent at refunding, taken a voucher from BA as I ended up having to book Club Europe and it'll come in handy cost wise down the line

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
16 Sep 2022, 11:16 am #299

If you've paid by card just initiate a charge back - that tends to get their attention. 

I was due to be at a conference on Monday - train down and plane up. LNER were excellent at refunding, taken a voucher from BA as I ended up having to book Club Europe and it'll come in handy cost wise down the line

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

Rob44

16 Sep 2022, 5:16 pm #300
(15 Sep 2022, 5:12 pm)omnicity4659 Schools are closed on Monday as a "mark of respect", I'm sure that's what the Queen would have wanted - children missing out on their education and, in the case of those in poverty, their dinner too.

Yes all teachers are Republicans so they wont want to watch the funeral to pay respect. Let's treat them differently to council works etc who arnt at work either
Rob44
16 Sep 2022, 5:16 pm #300

(15 Sep 2022, 5:12 pm)omnicity4659 Schools are closed on Monday as a "mark of respect", I'm sure that's what the Queen would have wanted - children missing out on their education and, in the case of those in poverty, their dinner too.

Yes all teachers are Republicans so they wont want to watch the funeral to pay respect. Let's treat them differently to council works etc who arnt at work either

Pages (16) Previous 114 15 16 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average