Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Bank Holiday Services

Bank Holiday Services

Bank Holiday Services

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (16) Previous 17 8 916 Next
Ambassador

28 Mar 2017, 11:15 pm #141
They don't care. As if proven by their scheduling and attitude.

We're a service led economy up here, large numbers of people work Bank Holidays and the rest tend to go out and enjoy. They aren't the lazy Sundays they once were and none of the companies have reacted.

Welcome to the North East, the local public transport time is 1950.

But hey....we've got power sockets and NSAs!

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
28 Mar 2017, 11:15 pm #141

They don't care. As if proven by their scheduling and attitude.

We're a service led economy up here, large numbers of people work Bank Holidays and the rest tend to go out and enjoy. They aren't the lazy Sundays they once were and none of the companies have reacted.

LVK 404L

29 Mar 2017, 7:19 am #142
For years and years bank holiday services have always operated in this manner regarding schedules. There have been matches on at those times too and other stuff not just matches. The bus companies aren't going to change their scheduling after all these years just because there is a football game on.
LVK 404L
29 Mar 2017, 7:19 am #142

For years and years bank holiday services have always operated in this manner regarding schedules. There have been matches on at those times too and other stuff not just matches. The bus companies aren't going to change their scheduling after all these years just because there is a football game on.

Ambassador

29 Mar 2017, 8:03 am #143
(29 Mar 2017, 7:19 am)ifm001 For years and years bank holiday services have always operated in this manner regarding schedules. There have been matches on at those times too and other stuff not just matches. The bus companies aren't going to change their scheduling after all these years just because there is a football game on.

It's not just football, as others have said.

Years and years ago people weren't at work, now large amounts of offices are open, shops are open, pubs, restaurants, cinemas etc. 

We're a service driven economy...aside from when it comes to buses

Ambassador
29 Mar 2017, 8:03 am #143

(29 Mar 2017, 7:19 am)ifm001 For years and years bank holiday services have always operated in this manner regarding schedules. There have been matches on at those times too and other stuff not just matches. The bus companies aren't going to change their scheduling after all these years just because there is a football game on.

It's not just football, as others have said.

Years and years ago people weren't at work, now large amounts of offices are open, shops are open, pubs, restaurants, cinemas etc. 

We're a service driven economy...aside from when it comes to buses

Andreos1

29 Mar 2017, 8:29 am #144

Some Bank Holiday services have adapted though.
How many services to the Metrocentre, have we seen expand to special timetables?

I would argue that it isn't enough.

In the time some services have changed, we have seen stadia in Newcastle and Sunderland increase their capacity and business space within the city centres adapt, morph or even change sector.
The daytime cafe's and bar culture wasn't as plentiful 10/15 years ago as it is now, yet we see a similar level of service on the buses.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
29 Mar 2017, 8:29 am #144

Some Bank Holiday services have adapted though.
How many services to the Metrocentre, have we seen expand to special timetables?

I would argue that it isn't enough.

In the time some services have changed, we have seen stadia in Newcastle and Sunderland increase their capacity and business space within the city centres adapt, morph or even change sector.
The daytime cafe's and bar culture wasn't as plentiful 10/15 years ago as it is now, yet we see a similar level of service on the buses.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

29 Mar 2017, 12:21 pm #145
(28 Mar 2017, 10:06 pm)James101 If it takes a month to plan a roster I'd guess GNE need a better scheduling department...

What if most of the drivers have already chosen to have the day off to spend with family, go away, even go to the match etc? Being Easter I'd suggest that is a fairly high number.
They're not required to work on their day off.

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
northern156
29 Mar 2017, 12:21 pm #145

(28 Mar 2017, 10:06 pm)James101 If it takes a month to plan a roster I'd guess GNE need a better scheduling department...

What if most of the drivers have already chosen to have the day off to spend with family, go away, even go to the match etc? Being Easter I'd suggest that is a fairly high number.

James101

29 Mar 2017, 4:10 pm #146
(29 Mar 2017, 12:21 pm)northern156 What if most of the drivers have already chosen to have the day off to spend with family, go away, even go to the match etc? Being Easter I'd suggest that is a fairly high number.

Again, for a company with as many employees as GNE, there should be a set process to ensure only a set number of people can have any particular day off. If GNE, or any other company, approve too many holiday requests, that's poor management. Sundays and bank holidays are not God-given rights as days off, the law seems them as any other day. Any extra benefits surrounding bank holiday working are at the discretion of the employer and can be withdrawn.
James101
29 Mar 2017, 4:10 pm #146

(29 Mar 2017, 12:21 pm)northern156 What if most of the drivers have already chosen to have the day off to spend with family, go away, even go to the match etc? Being Easter I'd suggest that is a fairly high number.

Again, for a company with as many employees as GNE, there should be a set process to ensure only a set number of people can have any particular day off. If GNE, or any other company, approve too many holiday requests, that's poor management. Sundays and bank holidays are not God-given rights as days off, the law seems them as any other day. Any extra benefits surrounding bank holiday working are at the discretion of the employer and can be withdrawn.

Adrian

29 Mar 2017, 5:46 pm #147
(28 Mar 2017, 11:15 pm)Ambassador They don't care. As if proven by their scheduling and attitude.

It looks more to me like a company making a commercial decision to provide a level of service on a bank holiday, rather than workers refusing to do it. The schedulers can only work with what frequencies they're told are running on a bank holiday. I do agree that the bus industry up here is well behind with the times in that respect, but that is the model we're stuck with for now. This is nothing new, it isn't good enough, and it doesn't seem to be improving. Most of Durham was again without buses on Boxing Day.

We may be a service driven economy in your view, but a service provider is still entitled to decide on what level of service it provides to it's customers. Perhaps that is a direct result at the lack of competition in key areas.

(29 Mar 2017, 4:10 pm)James101 Again, for a company with as many employees as GNE, there should be a set process to ensure only a set number of people can have any particular day off. If GNE, or any other company, approve too many holiday requests, that's poor management. Sundays and bank holidays are not God-given rights as days off, the law seems them as any other day. Any extra benefits surrounding bank holiday working are at the discretion of the employer and can be withdrawn.

Do you honestly think there wouldn't be? 2000 staff with the majority being drivers, working obscure shift pattern, and across several locations? I'd suggest the system is almost cast iron.

(28 Mar 2017, 10:39 pm)James101 Massive opportunity for effieciency here then - though they seem to manage when emergency tenders for metro etc come up

I'd suggest anything less than 4 weeks notice to alter a shift is unreasonable. All employees, no matter who they work for, are entitled to a work-life balance. Giving them one lot of shifts, and then changing them for another with minimal notice, is unreasonable in my opinion. Plenty of opportunity for businesses to resource with volunteers working a rest day or overtime, if needs must.

Planned Metro tenders are normally awarded ages in advance, but even then, it is with volunteers to some degree from what I've seen, based on which drivers are working those services. The emergency requests (rather than tenders) for replacement buses is usually staffed with lead drivers and others that are not scheduled to be on the road.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
29 Mar 2017, 5:46 pm #147

(28 Mar 2017, 11:15 pm)Ambassador They don't care. As if proven by their scheduling and attitude.

It looks more to me like a company making a commercial decision to provide a level of service on a bank holiday, rather than workers refusing to do it. The schedulers can only work with what frequencies they're told are running on a bank holiday. I do agree that the bus industry up here is well behind with the times in that respect, but that is the model we're stuck with for now. This is nothing new, it isn't good enough, and it doesn't seem to be improving. Most of Durham was again without buses on Boxing Day.

We may be a service driven economy in your view, but a service provider is still entitled to decide on what level of service it provides to it's customers. Perhaps that is a direct result at the lack of competition in key areas.

(29 Mar 2017, 4:10 pm)James101 Again, for a company with as many employees as GNE, there should be a set process to ensure only a set number of people can have any particular day off. If GNE, or any other company, approve too many holiday requests, that's poor management. Sundays and bank holidays are not God-given rights as days off, the law seems them as any other day. Any extra benefits surrounding bank holiday working are at the discretion of the employer and can be withdrawn.

Do you honestly think there wouldn't be? 2000 staff with the majority being drivers, working obscure shift pattern, and across several locations? I'd suggest the system is almost cast iron.

(28 Mar 2017, 10:39 pm)James101 Massive opportunity for effieciency here then - though they seem to manage when emergency tenders for metro etc come up

I'd suggest anything less than 4 weeks notice to alter a shift is unreasonable. All employees, no matter who they work for, are entitled to a work-life balance. Giving them one lot of shifts, and then changing them for another with minimal notice, is unreasonable in my opinion. Plenty of opportunity for businesses to resource with volunteers working a rest day or overtime, if needs must.

Planned Metro tenders are normally awarded ages in advance, but even then, it is with volunteers to some degree from what I've seen, based on which drivers are working those services. The emergency requests (rather than tenders) for replacement buses is usually staffed with lead drivers and others that are not scheduled to be on the road.

James101

29 Mar 2017, 6:13 pm #148
(29 Mar 2017, 5:46 pm)Adrian Do you honestly think there wouldn't be? 2000 staff with the majority being drivers, working obscure shift pattern, and across several locations? I'd suggest the system is almost cast iron.

BIB: I think the system probably is 'cast-iron'. My comment was in response to northern156's suggestion drivers could have the bank holiday weekend off because they fancied it. 

I see your argument for the 4 week notice for an issued roster, but it's only reasonable to expect GNE to impose the same rules on driver's holiday or day off requests. In effect, if a driver doesn't request to be off on a particular day with 4 weeks notice, they can't expect to get it. 

The loadings on some key routes have been so high on Good Friday in the past have been so high I'd suggest GNE could even staff then with agency drivers and still turn a profit.
James101
29 Mar 2017, 6:13 pm #148

(29 Mar 2017, 5:46 pm)Adrian Do you honestly think there wouldn't be? 2000 staff with the majority being drivers, working obscure shift pattern, and across several locations? I'd suggest the system is almost cast iron.

BIB: I think the system probably is 'cast-iron'. My comment was in response to northern156's suggestion drivers could have the bank holiday weekend off because they fancied it. 

I see your argument for the 4 week notice for an issued roster, but it's only reasonable to expect GNE to impose the same rules on driver's holiday or day off requests. In effect, if a driver doesn't request to be off on a particular day with 4 weeks notice, they can't expect to get it. 

The loadings on some key routes have been so high on Good Friday in the past have been so high I'd suggest GNE could even staff then with agency drivers and still turn a profit.

Adrian

29 Mar 2017, 6:25 pm #149
(29 Mar 2017, 6:13 pm)James101 BIB: I think the system probably is 'cast-iron'. My comment was in response to northern156's suggestion drivers could have the bank holiday weekend off because they fancied it. 

My understanding is that a lot of bus companies work their driver leave a lot differently to how you or I may experience it. Their leave is usually allocated in set blocks throughout the year, and it is then up to drivers to arrange swaps with their colleagues. They don't have the luxury that you or I may have, where we may be able to request ad-hoc leave in the same week or whatever.

Adrian
29 Mar 2017, 6:25 pm #149

(29 Mar 2017, 6:13 pm)James101 BIB: I think the system probably is 'cast-iron'. My comment was in response to northern156's suggestion drivers could have the bank holiday weekend off because they fancied it. 

My understanding is that a lot of bus companies work their driver leave a lot differently to how you or I may experience it. Their leave is usually allocated in set blocks throughout the year, and it is then up to drivers to arrange swaps with their colleagues. They don't have the luxury that you or I may have, where we may be able to request ad-hoc leave in the same week or whatever.

29 Mar 2017, 7:12 pm #150

If it had been a normal Mon-Fri, then yes I'd expect a good amount of drivers to be at work for the amount of buses on the go.
However, with it being a bank holiday (with a near Sunday service resulting in that), drivers would be entitled to have the day off as long as enough of them are in for the services ran. This would be forecasted a good way back and as you can probably imagine, a good number of drivers would have that as a day off.

To then change it again and say instead of the previous number of drivers, we need more, is as Adrian says, detrimental to a good work-life balance which unions would be dead against.

northern156
29 Mar 2017, 7:12 pm #150

If it had been a normal Mon-Fri, then yes I'd expect a good amount of drivers to be at work for the amount of buses on the go.
However, with it being a bank holiday (with a near Sunday service resulting in that), drivers would be entitled to have the day off as long as enough of them are in for the services ran. This would be forecasted a good way back and as you can probably imagine, a good number of drivers would have that as a day off.

To then change it again and say instead of the previous number of drivers, we need more, is as Adrian says, detrimental to a good work-life balance which unions would be dead against.

Ambassador

05 Apr 2017, 10:36 pm #151
Just hopped in the 22.42 21 ex Newcastle.

Standing room only to the Angel. The previous two services were full. People still left at Gateshead

Sure Sunday service on Good Friday will be fine...no demand is there

Ambassador
05 Apr 2017, 10:36 pm #151

Just hopped in the 22.42 21 ex Newcastle.

Standing room only to the Angel. The previous two services were full. People still left at Gateshead

GX03

06 Apr 2017, 12:07 am #152
(05 Apr 2017, 10:36 pm)Ambassador Just hopped in the 22.42 21 ex Newcastle.

Something to do with the match maybe?
GX03
06 Apr 2017, 12:07 am #152

(05 Apr 2017, 10:36 pm)Ambassador Just hopped in the 22.42 21 ex Newcastle.

Something to do with the match maybe?

Ambassador

06 Apr 2017, 6:08 am #153
(06 Apr 2017, 12:07 am)GX03 Something to do with the match maybe?

Well that's my point. Likely to be even higher demand on a Good Friday

Ambassador
06 Apr 2017, 6:08 am #153

(06 Apr 2017, 12:07 am)GX03 Something to do with the match maybe?

Well that's my point. Likely to be even higher demand on a Good Friday

GX03

06 Apr 2017, 7:08 am #154
(06 Apr 2017, 6:08 am)Ambassador Well that's my point. Likely to be even higher demand on a Good Friday

Are Newcastle at home on Friday?, not a fan so don't know.
GX03
06 Apr 2017, 7:08 am #154

(06 Apr 2017, 6:08 am)Ambassador Well that's my point. Likely to be even higher demand on a Good Friday

Are Newcastle at home on Friday?, not a fan so don't know.

Ambassador

06 Apr 2017, 5:20 pm #155
(06 Apr 2017, 7:08 am)GX03 Are Newcastle at home on Friday?, not a fan so don't know.

They are. It's a sellout top. Last night was about 4k down on capacity

Ambassador
06 Apr 2017, 5:20 pm #155

(06 Apr 2017, 7:08 am)GX03 Are Newcastle at home on Friday?, not a fan so don't know.

They are. It's a sellout top. Last night was about 4k down on capacity

L469 YVK

06 Apr 2017, 7:28 pm #156
Right then, lets have a prediction on the so called delays then!

GNE:
1/1A= 30 minutes
21= 40 minutes
X1= 30 minutes
10/10A/10B = 15 minutes (up to 30 minutes on the 10)
45/46/47 = 30 minutes
12/12A = 10 minutes
309/310 = 30-45 minutes (or more with demand for Spainish City as well as traffic in Seaton Sluice for chippies, could rise if a number of 306/308s  are no shows which will be likely if Tynemouth is busy as well as traffic the 308 will have to face)
56 = 15 minutes
57 = 15 minutes
58 = 10 minutes

27 = 15 minutes

ANE:
306/308 = 30 minutes (Jesmond / Blyth can regulate if needed)
X10/X11 = 15-20 minutes
X18 = 15-30 minutes
X21/35 = 30 minutes
X22 = 15 minutes
X7/X8 = 15 minutes
43/46/52/53 = 15-30 minutes
44/45= 15 minutes
Edited 06 Apr 2017, 7:34 pm by L469 YVK.
L469 YVK
06 Apr 2017, 7:28 pm #156

Right then, lets have a prediction on the so called delays then!

GNE:
1/1A= 30 minutes
21= 40 minutes
X1= 30 minutes
45/46/47 = 30 minutes
12/12A = 10 minutes
309/310 = 30-45 minutes (or more with demand for Spainish City as well as traffic in Seaton Sluice for chippies, could rise if a number of 306/308s  are no shows which will be likely if Tynemouth is busy as well as traffic the 308 will have to face)
56 = 15 minutes
57 = 15 minutes
58 = 10 minutes

27 = 15 minutes

ANE:
X10/X11 = 15-20 minutes
X18 = 15-30 minutes
X21/35 = 30 minutes
X22 = 15 minutes
X7/X8 = 15 minutes
44/45= 15 minutes

citaro5284

06 Apr 2017, 8:30 pm #157
(06 Apr 2017, 7:28 pm)L469 YVK Right then, lets have a prediction on the so called delays then!

GNE:
1/1A= 30 minutes
21= 40 minutes
X1= 30 minutes
45/46/47 = 30 minutes
12/12A = 10 minutes
56 = 15 minutes
57 = 15 minutes
58 = 10 minutes

27 = 15 minutes

ANE:
X10/X11 = 15-20 minutes
X18 = 15-30 minutes
X21/35 = 30 minutes
X22 = 15 minutes
X7/X8 = 15 minutes
44/45= 15 minutes

I hope you are not encouraging people to go to Harbour View, the queues on Good Friday are bad enough to start with  Tongue
citaro5284
06 Apr 2017, 8:30 pm #157

(06 Apr 2017, 7:28 pm)L469 YVK Right then, lets have a prediction on the so called delays then!

GNE:
1/1A= 30 minutes
21= 40 minutes
X1= 30 minutes
45/46/47 = 30 minutes
12/12A = 10 minutes
56 = 15 minutes
57 = 15 minutes
58 = 10 minutes

27 = 15 minutes

ANE:
X10/X11 = 15-20 minutes
X18 = 15-30 minutes
X21/35 = 30 minutes
X22 = 15 minutes
X7/X8 = 15 minutes
44/45= 15 minutes

I hope you are not encouraging people to go to Harbour View, the queues on Good Friday are bad enough to start with  Tongue

mb134

06 Apr 2017, 8:35 pm #158

ANE:
X18 = 15-30 minutes
X21/35 = 30 minutes
X22 = 15 minutes

From what I remember, Ashington are usually pretty good at regulating the X21/22 and 35 on a Sunday or Bank Holiday when things start to run late. If one gets anywhere near +30 then they'll send something to cover the 35 run.
mb134
06 Apr 2017, 8:35 pm #158

ANE:
X18 = 15-30 minutes
X21/35 = 30 minutes
X22 = 15 minutes

From what I remember, Ashington are usually pretty good at regulating the X21/22 and 35 on a Sunday or Bank Holiday when things start to run late. If one gets anywhere near +30 then they'll send something to cover the 35 run.

L469 YVK

13 Apr 2017, 3:51 pm #159
Thought with tomorrow fast approaching I'll put a rather appropriate theme tune on here for you all:

https://youtu.be/M8wl4acSmfs
L469 YVK
13 Apr 2017, 3:51 pm #159

Thought with tomorrow fast approaching I'll put a rather appropriate theme tune on here for you all:

https://youtu.be/M8wl4acSmfs

Ambassador

14 Apr 2017, 2:11 pm #160
GNE have confirmed football specials will run as normal tonight.

Fairly badly advertised until today and still not that clear on the website

Ambassador
14 Apr 2017, 2:11 pm #160

GNE have confirmed football specials will run as normal tonight.

Fairly badly advertised until today and still not that clear on the website

Pages (16) Previous 17 8 916 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average