Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Bus specification, interior and on-board features

Bus specification, interior and on-board features

Bus specification, interior and on-board features

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (6) Previous 1 2 3 46 Next
BusLoverMum

02 Feb 2016, 11:43 am #41
(02 Feb 2016, 12:20 am)James101 I was interested today to see the differences in Sapphire spec in North Wales to the North East.

Today I was on Arriva North Wales 4637 which was delivered (and presumably built) around the same time as the E400s for Durham & Darlington last year.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/111243429@...053446461/

This photo shows to superior 1 + 2 seating which is another level of comfort, surpassing National Express coaches. What can just be made out on the far left of the single seat is a solid leather arm rest made possible by the seat not being mounted right up against the wall of the saloon. This touch adds so much! These are marvellous, however I still found the Stagecoach Gold E300 marginally more comfortable.

Ooh. I could just sink into one of those.

Bet they fart, when you move, mind Blush
BusLoverMum
02 Feb 2016, 11:43 am #41

(02 Feb 2016, 12:20 am)James101 I was interested today to see the differences in Sapphire spec in North Wales to the North East.

Today I was on Arriva North Wales 4637 which was delivered (and presumably built) around the same time as the E400s for Durham & Darlington last year.

This photo shows to superior 1 + 2 seating which is another level of comfort, surpassing National Express coaches. What can just be made out on the far left of the single seat is a solid leather arm rest made possible by the seat not being mounted right up against the wall of the saloon. This touch adds so much! These are marvellous, however I still found the Stagecoach Gold E300 marginally more comfortable.

Ooh. I could just sink into one of those.

Bet they fart, when you move, mind Blush

James101

02 Feb 2016, 12:07 pm #42
Indeed they still do suffer from farty seat syndrome!

What somewhat took the shine off the experience was sharing the top with two people. One man who had just finished smoking a certain green leaf in the bus station before boarding and another man wearing a tracksuit top, pink skirt and purple leggings who spoke rather loudly On the phone.
James101
02 Feb 2016, 12:07 pm #42

Indeed they still do suffer from farty seat syndrome!

What somewhat took the shine off the experience was sharing the top with two people. One man who had just finished smoking a certain green leaf in the bus station before boarding and another man wearing a tracksuit top, pink skirt and purple leggings who spoke rather loudly On the phone.

Jimmi

02 Feb 2016, 1:07 pm #43

I'm guessing in the North East we went with quantity rather than quality in our Enviro 400's, especially as the ones for the 7 where they were purchased for additional capacity, so it probably wouldn't be best getting Enviro 400's that probably would be licensed to carry around the same number of passengers as the Pulsars they replaced, although the E400's would obviously have a higher seating capacity and lower standing capacity. Not sampled Stagecoach Gold yet but the seats seem the same as the Enviro 400 MMC demonstrator GNE trialled last year, which is what I think Arriva should have gone with for their MAX and Sapphire buses.
Jimmi
02 Feb 2016, 1:07 pm #43

I'm guessing in the North East we went with quantity rather than quality in our Enviro 400's, especially as the ones for the 7 where they were purchased for additional capacity, so it probably wouldn't be best getting Enviro 400's that probably would be licensed to carry around the same number of passengers as the Pulsars they replaced, although the E400's would obviously have a higher seating capacity and lower standing capacity. Not sampled Stagecoach Gold yet but the seats seem the same as the Enviro 400 MMC demonstrator GNE trialled last year, which is what I think Arriva should have gone with for their MAX and Sapphire buses.

Dan

Site Administrator

02 Feb 2016, 1:35 pm #44
(02 Feb 2016, 1:07 pm)Jimmi I'm guessing in the North East we went with quantity rather than quality in our Enviro 400's, especially as the ones for the 7 where they were purchased for additional capacity, so it probably wouldn't be best getting Enviro 400's that probably would be licensed to carry around the same number of passengers as the Pulsars they replaced, although the E400's would obviously have a higher seating capacity and lower standing capacity. Not sampled Stagecoach Gold yet but the seats seem the same as the Enviro 400 MMC demonstrator GNE trialled last year, which is what I think Arriva should have gone with for their MAX and Sapphire buses.

These seats are heavier. I may be wrong, but I believe that the installation of these seats would result in the operator not being able to claim an enhanced rate of BSOG payment, due to the increased total weight of the vehicle.

Providing better quality seats may be able to be justified for some services, but I highly doubt it. I would expect this is why Go North East and Arriva North East stick to Esteban Civic V3 seating as their most 'luxurious' seating type.
Dan
02 Feb 2016, 1:35 pm #44

(02 Feb 2016, 1:07 pm)Jimmi I'm guessing in the North East we went with quantity rather than quality in our Enviro 400's, especially as the ones for the 7 where they were purchased for additional capacity, so it probably wouldn't be best getting Enviro 400's that probably would be licensed to carry around the same number of passengers as the Pulsars they replaced, although the E400's would obviously have a higher seating capacity and lower standing capacity. Not sampled Stagecoach Gold yet but the seats seem the same as the Enviro 400 MMC demonstrator GNE trialled last year, which is what I think Arriva should have gone with for their MAX and Sapphire buses.

These seats are heavier. I may be wrong, but I believe that the installation of these seats would result in the operator not being able to claim an enhanced rate of BSOG payment, due to the increased total weight of the vehicle.

Providing better quality seats may be able to be justified for some services, but I highly doubt it. I would expect this is why Go North East and Arriva North East stick to Esteban Civic V3 seating as their most 'luxurious' seating type.

James101

02 Feb 2016, 2:54 pm #45
(02 Feb 2016, 1:35 pm)Dan These seats are heavier. I may be wrong, but I believe that the installation of these seats would result in the operator not being able to claim an enhanced rate of BSOG payment, due to the increased total weight of the vehicle.

I wonder if the extra weight is offset by there being less seats overall on the vehicle? I've not done a count but there was clearly less seats on the Gold spec e300s compared to standard Stagecoach. 

The corridor these buses run on is served by 10 buses per hour and appeared to run as a 'walk-on' service Chester whereby as one bus departed the next pulled up out of layover to load. Although running less departures with higher capacity buses would be more economical, it could be argued that the combination of high spec interior plus ultra frequent Departures is more appealing to motorists opting to be first time bus users. Maybe this is the thinking behind this 'quality over quantity' and it may pay off in the long term
James101
02 Feb 2016, 2:54 pm #45

(02 Feb 2016, 1:35 pm)Dan These seats are heavier. I may be wrong, but I believe that the installation of these seats would result in the operator not being able to claim an enhanced rate of BSOG payment, due to the increased total weight of the vehicle.

I wonder if the extra weight is offset by there being less seats overall on the vehicle? I've not done a count but there was clearly less seats on the Gold spec e300s compared to standard Stagecoach. 

The corridor these buses run on is served by 10 buses per hour and appeared to run as a 'walk-on' service Chester whereby as one bus departed the next pulled up out of layover to load. Although running less departures with higher capacity buses would be more economical, it could be argued that the combination of high spec interior plus ultra frequent Departures is more appealing to motorists opting to be first time bus users. Maybe this is the thinking behind this 'quality over quantity' and it may pay off in the long term

Andreos1

02 Feb 2016, 3:22 pm #46

I have used Gold services in Oxford. I have sampled their S series a few times now.
Whilst there may be slight differences, it isn't noticeable.

To be honest, I cant notice the difference with GNE, Max nor Sapphire with regard to the plether they use.

I have noticed the lack of pitch and the angle of the seats on all and it does nowt for me.
No comfort at all as far as I am concerned. Regardless of the seating material.

I note Bensons for Beds and similar chain stores have a scale for their mattresses.
If a major bed retailer has to offer a range of support levels to appease their customers, then no wonder operators can't win over everyone.

If the operators asked what passengers were after, in terms of comfort, material, legroom, pitch, angles etc., I wonder what would win?

(02 Feb 2016, 2:54 pm)James101 I wonder if the extra weight is offset by there being less seats overall on the vehicle? I've not done a count but there was clearly less seats on the Gold spec e300s compared to standard Stagecoach. 

Pump priming a service is certainly not a new thing, but a massive gamble when doing it with high spec vehicles.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
02 Feb 2016, 3:22 pm #46

I have used Gold services in Oxford. I have sampled their S series a few times now.
Whilst there may be slight differences, it isn't noticeable.

To be honest, I cant notice the difference with GNE, Max nor Sapphire with regard to the plether they use.

I have noticed the lack of pitch and the angle of the seats on all and it does nowt for me.
No comfort at all as far as I am concerned. Regardless of the seating material.

I note Bensons for Beds and similar chain stores have a scale for their mattresses.
If a major bed retailer has to offer a range of support levels to appease their customers, then no wonder operators can't win over everyone.

If the operators asked what passengers were after, in terms of comfort, material, legroom, pitch, angles etc., I wonder what would win?

(02 Feb 2016, 2:54 pm)James101 I wonder if the extra weight is offset by there being less seats overall on the vehicle? I've not done a count but there was clearly less seats on the Gold spec e300s compared to standard Stagecoach. 

Pump priming a service is certainly not a new thing, but a massive gamble when doing it with high spec vehicles.

James101

02 Feb 2016, 5:38 pm #47
(02 Feb 2016, 3:22 pm)I\m Andreos1 Pump priming a service is certainly not a new thing, but a massive gamble when doing it with high spec vehicles.

I would imagine the circumstances this is best suited for is a route to a major conurbation operating via an an affluent area with high car ownership where the operator feels an opportunity to create new customers by offering a luxury product. Same principles apply on the new Manchester (mis)guided busway streetdecks and the same for Transdev in Harragate.
James101
02 Feb 2016, 5:38 pm #47

(02 Feb 2016, 3:22 pm)I\m Andreos1 Pump priming a service is certainly not a new thing, but a massive gamble when doing it with high spec vehicles.

I would imagine the circumstances this is best suited for is a route to a major conurbation operating via an an affluent area with high car ownership where the operator feels an opportunity to create new customers by offering a luxury product. Same principles apply on the new Manchester (mis)guided busway streetdecks and the same for Transdev in Harragate.

James101

04 Apr 2016, 10:50 am #48
I've noted that during trentbarton's refresh of their indigo brand they've re-upholstered the seats from leather to fabric following customer feedback that the leather was unpopular. Are customers beginning to see through the leather being offered as a upgrade when in reality it's a cost saving through reduced cleaning time?
James101
04 Apr 2016, 10:50 am #48

I've noted that during trentbarton's refresh of their indigo brand they've re-upholstered the seats from leather to fabric following customer feedback that the leather was unpopular. Are customers beginning to see through the leather being offered as a upgrade when in reality it's a cost saving through reduced cleaning time?

BusLoverMum

04 Apr 2016, 10:52 am #49
(04 Apr 2016, 10:50 am)James101 I've noted that during trentbarton's refresh of their indigo brand they've re-upholstered the seats from leather to fabric following customer feedback that the leather was unpopular. Are customers beginning to see through the leather being offered as a upgrade when in reality it's a cost saving through reduced cleaning time?

I rather like the leather because I can see exactly how grubby or wet the seat is.
BusLoverMum
04 Apr 2016, 10:52 am #49

(04 Apr 2016, 10:50 am)James101 I've noted that during trentbarton's refresh of their indigo brand they've re-upholstered the seats from leather to fabric following customer feedback that the leather was unpopular. Are customers beginning to see through the leather being offered as a upgrade when in reality it's a cost saving through reduced cleaning time?

I rather like the leather because I can see exactly how grubby or wet the seat is.

Andreos1

04 Apr 2016, 11:34 am #50
(04 Apr 2016, 10:52 am)BusLoverMum I rather like the leather because I can see exactly how grubby or wet the seat is.

They're like a magnet for pasty crumbs!

Andreos1
04 Apr 2016, 11:34 am #50

(04 Apr 2016, 10:52 am)BusLoverMum I rather like the leather because I can see exactly how grubby or wet the seat is.

They're like a magnet for pasty crumbs!

04 Apr 2016, 11:57 am #51

Personally I would just ask for some URBAN 90s Big Grin 
The worst seats are the X66 leather ones
NK53 TKT
04 Apr 2016, 11:57 am #51

Personally I would just ask for some URBAN 90s Big Grin 
The worst seats are the X66 leather ones

James101

04 Apr 2016, 1:34 pm #52
May be opening a can of worms here....why do you like urban90s?
James101
04 Apr 2016, 1:34 pm #52

May be opening a can of worms here....why do you like urban90s?

BusLoverMum

04 Apr 2016, 2:10 pm #53
(04 Apr 2016, 1:34 pm)James101 May be opening a can of worms here....why do you like urban90s?

He must have a considerably better cushioned backside than the rest of us. I've just done the 35 minutes each way to Hartlepool and back on a Scarlet Band E200 and I ache!
BusLoverMum
04 Apr 2016, 2:10 pm #53

(04 Apr 2016, 1:34 pm)James101 May be opening a can of worms here....why do you like urban90s?

He must have a considerably better cushioned backside than the rest of us. I've just done the 35 minutes each way to Hartlepool and back on a Scarlet Band E200 and I ache!

BusLoverMum

04 Apr 2016, 2:13 pm #54
(04 Apr 2016, 11:34 am)Andreos1 They're like a magnet for pasty crumbs!

At least you can see the pasty crumbs before they end up plastered to your arse!

I've noticed that they might be easy to keep clean, but probably won't stay looking reasonably good for 7-8 years like decent fabric seats, though. They have a tendency to rip and stretch with wear and tear.
BusLoverMum
04 Apr 2016, 2:13 pm #54

(04 Apr 2016, 11:34 am)Andreos1 They're like a magnet for pasty crumbs!

At least you can see the pasty crumbs before they end up plastered to your arse!

I've noticed that they might be easy to keep clean, but probably won't stay looking reasonably good for 7-8 years like decent fabric seats, though. They have a tendency to rip and stretch with wear and tear.

04 Apr 2016, 4:13 pm #55

I like firm seats, the best are on GNE 619 and Arriva 1799 in my opinion, I don't know why though. The worst type of seats are bench style ones.
NK53 TKT
04 Apr 2016, 4:13 pm #55

I like firm seats, the best are on GNE 619 and Arriva 1799 in my opinion, I don't know why though. The worst type of seats are bench style ones.

Adrian

04 Apr 2016, 4:44 pm #56
A lot of it depends on the padding in the seats. I find the eLeather is more comfortable once it's been worn in a bit, but I don't think there's anywhere near enough back cushion to be comfortable, when we're talking about Civic V2 or Civic V3 seating.

I had a ride out on Transdev's 36 service last week, taking the section between Harrogate and Leeds. The new Volvo B5TL/Gemini 3s that they have are fitted with proper leather coach seats upstairs, and leather Civic V3s downstairs. Whilst I didn't sample the seats downstairs, I did find the coach seats upstairs to be extremely comfortable. They are proper high back seats too - i.e. they still serve a purpose if you've above 5ft tall.

[Image: 24527526491_f3b14b5af5.jpg]
Transdev Harrogate & District: 3619 / BL65YYS by Matthew Jimmison, on Flickr

[Image: 24583627986_97409336db.jpg]

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
04 Apr 2016, 4:44 pm #56

A lot of it depends on the padding in the seats. I find the eLeather is more comfortable once it's been worn in a bit, but I don't think there's anywhere near enough back cushion to be comfortable, when we're talking about Civic V2 or Civic V3 seating.

I had a ride out on Transdev's 36 service last week, taking the section between Harrogate and Leeds. The new Volvo B5TL/Gemini 3s that they have are fitted with proper leather coach seats upstairs, and leather Civic V3s downstairs. Whilst I didn't sample the seats downstairs, I did find the coach seats upstairs to be extremely comfortable. They are proper high back seats too - i.e. they still serve a purpose if you've above 5ft tall.

04 Apr 2016, 4:47 pm #57
(04 Apr 2016, 4:44 pm)Adrian A lot of it depends on the padding in the seats. I find the eLeather is more comfortable once it's been worn in a bit, but I don't think there's anywhere near enough back cushion to be comfortable, when we're talking about Civic V2 or Civic V3 seating.

Nah, don't like leather seats I just find them cold and squeaky
NK53 TKT
04 Apr 2016, 4:47 pm #57

(04 Apr 2016, 4:44 pm)Adrian A lot of it depends on the padding in the seats. I find the eLeather is more comfortable once it's been worn in a bit, but I don't think there's anywhere near enough back cushion to be comfortable, when we're talking about Civic V2 or Civic V3 seating.

Nah, don't like leather seats I just find them cold and squeaky

Adrian

04 Apr 2016, 5:03 pm #58
(04 Apr 2016, 4:47 pm)NK53 TKT Nah, don't like leather seats I just find them cold and squeaky

That's a bit of a sweeping statement, isn't it? I don't know of any leather seats that squeak.

Adrian
04 Apr 2016, 5:03 pm #58

(04 Apr 2016, 4:47 pm)NK53 TKT Nah, don't like leather seats I just find them cold and squeaky

That's a bit of a sweeping statement, isn't it? I don't know of any leather seats that squeak.

04 Apr 2016, 5:11 pm #59
(04 Apr 2016, 4:13 pm)NK53 TKT I like firm seats, the best are on GNE 619 and Arriva 1799 in my opinion, I don't know why though. The worst type of seats are bench style ones.

Bench seats are not the worst type the best bench seats are on several pacers

Best bus ever
biglugs@yahoo.com
04 Apr 2016, 5:11 pm #59

(04 Apr 2016, 4:13 pm)NK53 TKT I like firm seats, the best are on GNE 619 and Arriva 1799 in my opinion, I don't know why though. The worst type of seats are bench style ones.

Bench seats are not the worst type the best bench seats are on several pacers

Best bus ever

mb134

04 Apr 2016, 5:24 pm #60

Oooh no!

I remember when I was younger, I was used to bench and coach seated Olympians on the X31. One day a, to me, 'new' Lowlander turned up, with those awful plastic Urban 90s, I remember people complaining, and wondering where the 'old' buses had gone to!

I always found bench seats more than good enough.
mb134
04 Apr 2016, 5:24 pm #60

Oooh no!

I remember when I was younger, I was used to bench and coach seated Olympians on the X31. One day a, to me, 'new' Lowlander turned up, with those awful plastic Urban 90s, I remember people complaining, and wondering where the 'old' buses had gone to!

I always found bench seats more than good enough.

Pages (6) Previous 1 2 3 46 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average