Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Cobalt Business Park Road Infrastructure

Cobalt Business Park Road Infrastructure

Cobalt Business Park Road Infrastructure

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average

L469 YVK

12 Nov 2015, 6:45 pm #1
Here is a question for you folks:

- Due to increasing traffic congestion around Cobalt Business Park, how can all bus operators adapt to the very high levels of traffic around the park and still run a commercially viable service?

Now, I know that one of the routes that serves the Cobalt is my local as well as a certain other bus service ran by green / blue double deckers (or whatever they allocate). But, given to the fact that Arriva had to withdraw their 53 service through the Cobalt owing to increased congestion, how will Stagecoach (22, 22x), Go North East (309, 310, X39, 58X) and Arriva (X6 with knock on effects to the 306) adapt to the high levels of traffic for a road infrastructure that was designed when all that existed was a big Siemens factory?

Obviously you've got to bear in mind that the PVR requirements of the above services during the afternoons are nowhere near needed for the rest of the times and generally, the morning journeys towards Cobalt Park seem to run fine. However, it has become a daily occurance of buses getting stuck and ending up running severely late during the afternoons and evenings having a knock on effect elsewhere. Stagecoach's 22 according to several passengers has suffered reliability issues as a result and despite GNE adding more time to the 309/310/X39 and even curtailing the 58X at the Cobalt Travelcentre, reliability issues are still affecting these services and Arriva, well the X6 is basically a gesture token to Arriva ticket holders so nothing new there.

Do you think operators will operate a hub and spoke model with shuttle operating to and from the Cobalt connecting to and from their main services without causing disruption to the rest of the networks which exist?
L469 YVK
12 Nov 2015, 6:45 pm #1

Here is a question for you folks:

- Due to increasing traffic congestion around Cobalt Business Park, how can all bus operators adapt to the very high levels of traffic around the park and still run a commercially viable service?

Now, I know that one of the routes that serves the Cobalt is my local as well as a certain other bus service ran by green / blue double deckers (or whatever they allocate). But, given to the fact that Arriva had to withdraw their 53 service through the Cobalt owing to increased congestion, how will Stagecoach (22, 22x), Go North East (309, 310, X39, 58X) and Arriva (X6 with knock on effects to the 306) adapt to the high levels of traffic for a road infrastructure that was designed when all that existed was a big Siemens factory?

Obviously you've got to bear in mind that the PVR requirements of the above services during the afternoons are nowhere near needed for the rest of the times and generally, the morning journeys towards Cobalt Park seem to run fine. However, it has become a daily occurance of buses getting stuck and ending up running severely late during the afternoons and evenings having a knock on effect elsewhere. Stagecoach's 22 according to several passengers has suffered reliability issues as a result and despite GNE adding more time to the 309/310/X39 and even curtailing the 58X at the Cobalt Travelcentre, reliability issues are still affecting these services and Arriva, well the X6 is basically a gesture token to Arriva ticket holders so nothing new there.

Do you think operators will operate a hub and spoke model with shuttle operating to and from the Cobalt connecting to and from their main services without causing disruption to the rest of the networks which exist?

Andreos1

13 Nov 2015, 9:34 am #2
There is obviously a demand for public transport (where else do we see three operators competing for the same passengers?) in the area, but I am not sure a shuttle service would work.

If someone is already using two buses (which is probable), introducing a third isn't going to be a very attractive to them.

Mind, sitting in a queue of traffic isn't either.

There is the 'more' scheme http://www.morecobalt.co.uk/travel/
which to me, shows that there is a serious positive attitude by Cobalt, towards encouraging travel by public transport.

Whether they can work with N Tyneside Council to change the road layout in the surrounding areas, giving more priority to buses - is another thing.
Imagine if their was one local body who were responsible for roads and public transport, rather than the fragmented system we have currently? I imagine that would help Wink .
Andreos1
13 Nov 2015, 9:34 am #2

There is obviously a demand for public transport (where else do we see three operators competing for the same passengers?) in the area, but I am not sure a shuttle service would work.

If someone is already using two buses (which is probable), introducing a third isn't going to be a very attractive to them.

Mind, sitting in a queue of traffic isn't either.

There is the 'more' scheme http://www.morecobalt.co.uk/travel/
which to me, shows that there is a serious positive attitude by Cobalt, towards encouraging travel by public transport.

Whether they can work with N Tyneside Council to change the road layout in the surrounding areas, giving more priority to buses - is another thing.
Imagine if their was one local body who were responsible for roads and public transport, rather than the fragmented system we have currently? I imagine that would help Wink .

markydh

13 Nov 2015, 1:57 pm #3
Things should get a little better once the A19 is fully segregated at the Silverlink junction.
markydh
13 Nov 2015, 1:57 pm #3

Things should get a little better once the A19 is fully segregated at the Silverlink junction.

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average