Login Register
North East Buses Local Bus Scene Bus Operations, Management & Infrastructure
Hexham Bus Station
Does anyone know when Hexham's New Bus Station is due to be completed and then opened for use?

I was in Hexham the other night and looks as though it is coming along quite well, however doesnt look too near to being ready. Still a lot of work to do on the Station building and roadway. The large metal fencing to the main road has been removed and replaced with wire fencing now, and you can see the bus stands taking shape to the main road side.
(05/10/2016, 20:09)thetravelman Wrote: Does anyone know when Hexham's New Bus Station is due to be completed and then opened for use?

I was in Hexham the other night and looks as though it is coming along quite well, however doesnt look too near to being ready. Still a lot of work to do on the Station building and roadway. The large metal fencing to the main road has been removed and replaced with wire fencing now, and you can see the bus stands taking shape to the main road side.

13th November.
Hexham Courant says it will open early November, was due to open in August but has been delayed due to a hold up in sourcing materials

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers - I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

I thought I had read somewhere that it was originally due to open in the summer! Didn't realise they've had problems sourcing materials.
(05/10/2016, 23:02)thetravelman Wrote: Cheers - I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

I thought I had read somewhere that it was originally due to open in the summer! Didn't realise they've had problems sourcing materials.
It's Northumberland CC - they would have forgotten to order some.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
(05/10/2016, 20:50)Dan Wrote: 13th November.

(05/10/2016, 23:02)thetravelman Wrote: Cheers - I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

Now pushed back to 27th November.
What's happening to the old bus station?

How many stands will the new bus station have?

Is there any plans?
(16/10/2016, 23:23)Michael Wrote: What's happening to the old bus station?

How many stands will the new bus station have?

Is there any plans?

Providing the plan hasn't changed, I believe that the old bus station is being demolished and replaced by new apartments. There's more information here on that.

A diagram of the new bus station is attached. It retains the building in the centre like the current bus station - I believe this is to be made out of glass, making it look quite modern and attractive. You can't (or at least I couldn't) get a feel for quite how 'narrow' the building actually is until you see it in the flesh - I was over that way a few weeks back and I, despite being told prior that it would be quite narrow, was surprised.

I think (though may be wrong) that the stands on the main road will be for the Newcastle-bound services - all of which head off in that direction towards Corbridge.

All in all a vast improvement on the current bus station though. 

Looks good, cheers Dan
Has the new bus station opened yet or is it still under construction?

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk