Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Gateshead Area Developments

Gateshead Area Developments

Gateshead Area Developments

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
NEB Admin Team

Unregistered

07 Feb 2013, 7:32 pm #1
Working in collaboration with Nexus and the local bus operators, Gateshead Council is trialling the use of "plastic bollards" to protect bus lanes on the A184 Felling Bypass and A167 Durham Road.

They cost £75 each!!! Anything that could help combat bus-lane misuse must be a positive though Smile

http://www.nexus.org.uk/news/2013/bus-la...-gateshead
NEB Admin Team
07 Feb 2013, 7:32 pm #1

Working in collaboration with Nexus and the local bus operators, Gateshead Council is trialling the use of "plastic bollards" to protect bus lanes on the A184 Felling Bypass and A167 Durham Road.

They cost £75 each!!! Anything that could help combat bus-lane misuse must be a positive though Smile

http://www.nexus.org.uk/news/2013/bus-la...-gateshead

tom.robinson206

Unregistered

08 Feb 2013, 2:52 pm #2
(07 Feb 2013, 7:38 pm)Adam I thought councils up and down the country were wanting to save as much money as possible because of the government spending cuts, so trialling bollards on bus lanes seems a little contradictory of the council. I agree with you about the bollards reducing mis-use of the lanes but for me, it seems too unjustified at this moment in time considering the state of the economy.

I think they're pointless - the road is fine without them.
tom.robinson206
08 Feb 2013, 2:52 pm #2

(07 Feb 2013, 7:38 pm)Adam I thought councils up and down the country were wanting to save as much money as possible because of the government spending cuts, so trialling bollards on bus lanes seems a little contradictory of the council. I agree with you about the bollards reducing mis-use of the lanes but for me, it seems too unjustified at this moment in time considering the state of the economy.

I think they're pointless - the road is fine without them.

gtom

Banned

08 Feb 2013, 6:42 pm #3
Complete waste of time and causing nothing but further congestion. So much for green measures.

Plenty of cars ignoring the ones in Birtley this monrning
gtom
08 Feb 2013, 6:42 pm #3

Complete waste of time and causing nothing but further congestion. So much for green measures.

Plenty of cars ignoring the ones in Birtley this monrning

Andreos1

19 Jul 2016, 5:25 pm #4
Nearly created a new thread but after double checking, found this.

Gateshead Council and their paint team will be busy on Team Valley in the future.

Yellow lines are to be drawn in a number of areas.

I have tried uploading photos of the files, but they're too large too attach.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
19 Jul 2016, 5:25 pm #4

Nearly created a new thread but after double checking, found this.

Gateshead Council and their paint team will be busy on Team Valley in the future.

Yellow lines are to be drawn in a number of areas.

I have tried uploading photos of the files, but they're too large too attach.

Andreos1

06 Dec 2017, 10:38 am #5
https://consultation.gateshead.gov.uk/Project/1168

Proposals in the Tyne Bridge/Hills Street area.

Point 7 is worth looking at.
Quote:Remove the right turn bus lane from A167 Tyne Bridge southbound.

I'm not too sure which services use that right turn currently.
Well used in the past, but seemingly less so now.

Andreos1
06 Dec 2017, 10:38 am #5

https://consultation.gateshead.gov.uk/Project/1168

Proposals in the Tyne Bridge/Hills Street area.

Point 7 is worth looking at.

Quote:Remove the right turn bus lane from A167 Tyne Bridge southbound.

I'm not too sure which services use that right turn currently.
Well used in the past, but seemingly less so now.

Andreos1

23 Jul 2020, 10:57 am #6
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...ssion=true

Plans for housing development on site of old bus depot.

Andreos1
23 Jul 2020, 10:57 am #6

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...ssion=true

Plans for housing development on site of old bus depot.

Malarkey

10 Jan 2021, 6:56 pm #7
Gateshead Council are reportedly planning on making a stretch of Durham Road at Low Fell one way only heading into Newcastle between Kells Lane/Chowdene Bank Junction and The Cannon, local businesses on Low Fell have received a Letter asking for feedback on this consultation.

Their has been a lot of complaints from businesses stretching back to March 2020 when bollards were but in place for social distancing due to Covid-19 has led to issues with deliveries to the likes of Savers, Co-Op and Herons where trucks have parked on the bus lane across the road or the parked in the road heading towards the Angel which has severly affected traffic flow in the area.
Malarkey
10 Jan 2021, 6:56 pm #7

Gateshead Council are reportedly planning on making a stretch of Durham Road at Low Fell one way only heading into Newcastle between Kells Lane/Chowdene Bank Junction and The Cannon, local businesses on Low Fell have received a Letter asking for feedback on this consultation.

Their has been a lot of complaints from businesses stretching back to March 2020 when bollards were but in place for social distancing due to Covid-19 has led to issues with deliveries to the likes of Savers, Co-Op and Herons where trucks have parked on the bus lane across the road or the parked in the road heading towards the Angel which has severly affected traffic flow in the area.

10 Jan 2021, 7:14 pm #8
(10 Jan 2021, 6:56 pm)Malarkey Gateshead Council are reportedly planning on making a stretch of Durham Road at Low Fell one way only heading into Newcastle between Kells Lane/Chowdene Bank Junction and The Cannon, local businesses on Low Fell have received a Letter asking for feedback on this consultation.

Knowing Gateshead Council, they'll get nothing but negative feedback from everyone they 'consult', then go ahead with the plans anyway
streetdeckfan
10 Jan 2021, 7:14 pm #8

(10 Jan 2021, 6:56 pm)Malarkey Gateshead Council are reportedly planning on making a stretch of Durham Road at Low Fell one way only heading into Newcastle between Kells Lane/Chowdene Bank Junction and The Cannon, local businesses on Low Fell have received a Letter asking for feedback on this consultation.

Knowing Gateshead Council, they'll get nothing but negative feedback from everyone they 'consult', then go ahead with the plans anyway

Rob44

10 Jan 2021, 7:49 pm #9
I didnt know you had a mole on the inside @ Gateshead council.
Rob44
10 Jan 2021, 7:49 pm #9

I didnt know you had a mole on the inside @ Gateshead council.

Malarkey

10 Jan 2021, 8:21 pm #10
(10 Jan 2021, 7:14 pm)streetdeckfan Knowing Gateshead Council, they'll get nothing but negative feedback from everyone they 'consult', then go ahead with the plans anyway

By the looks of it they've u-turned plans for the Gateshead Flyover as it currently coned down to one lane in each direction so looks like they may well be plodding on with putting in a cycle lane,, seems pointless as I have not seen anyone using the ones on Askew Road since they were put into place early last year and will only cause tailbacks from the Tyne Bridge.
Malarkey
10 Jan 2021, 8:21 pm #10

(10 Jan 2021, 7:14 pm)streetdeckfan Knowing Gateshead Council, they'll get nothing but negative feedback from everyone they 'consult', then go ahead with the plans anyway

By the looks of it they've u-turned plans for the Gateshead Flyover as it currently coned down to one lane in each direction so looks like they may well be plodding on with putting in a cycle lane,, seems pointless as I have not seen anyone using the ones on Askew Road since they were put into place early last year and will only cause tailbacks from the Tyne Bridge.

10 Jan 2021, 8:23 pm #11
(10 Jan 2021, 8:21 pm)Malarkey By the looks of it they've u-turned plans for the Gateshead Flyover as it currently coned down to one lane in each direction so looks like they may well be plodding on with putting in a cycle lane,, seems pointless as I have not seen anyone using the ones on Askew Road since they were put into place early last year and will only cause tailbacks from the Tyne Bridge.

Tbh, I rarely ever see bikes at all in Gateshead, might have something to do with the fact it's not exactly the flattest place!
In fact, the only bikes I can remember seeing were for the food delivery services, and even they were few and far between
streetdeckfan
10 Jan 2021, 8:23 pm #11

(10 Jan 2021, 8:21 pm)Malarkey By the looks of it they've u-turned plans for the Gateshead Flyover as it currently coned down to one lane in each direction so looks like they may well be plodding on with putting in a cycle lane,, seems pointless as I have not seen anyone using the ones on Askew Road since they were put into place early last year and will only cause tailbacks from the Tyne Bridge.

Tbh, I rarely ever see bikes at all in Gateshead, might have something to do with the fact it's not exactly the flattest place!
In fact, the only bikes I can remember seeing were for the food delivery services, and even they were few and far between

Malarkey

10 Jan 2021, 8:31 pm #12
(10 Jan 2021, 8:23 pm)streetdeckfan Tbh, I rarely ever see bikes at all in Gateshead, might have something to do with the fact it's not exactly the flattest place!

Yeah them and the Jewish community of Bensham and Saltwell trying to break the time trial record for a lap of the area via Saltwell Park.

Joking aside there is quite a few cycle between Low Fell and Gateshead.
Malarkey
10 Jan 2021, 8:31 pm #12

(10 Jan 2021, 8:23 pm)streetdeckfan Tbh, I rarely ever see bikes at all in Gateshead, might have something to do with the fact it's not exactly the flattest place!

Yeah them and the Jewish community of Bensham and Saltwell trying to break the time trial record for a lap of the area via Saltwell Park.

Joking aside there is quite a few cycle between Low Fell and Gateshead.

Storx

10 Jan 2021, 10:22 pm #13

This has to be a joke? I'm used to these stupid changes like this is next level there's no alternative route bar driving through residential areas. Gateshead, Newcastle and North Tyneside councils need shot as they're absolutely clueless. It's like their actively trying to cause congestion everywhere. Gateshead in particular.

Least it makes a change to having a war with the barriers along Coatsworth with the Jews which mysteriously move every day. The pathetic thing is the same changes also affect buses so there's literally no win for anyone bar a few bikes (who don't exist).
Storx
10 Jan 2021, 10:22 pm #13

This has to be a joke? I'm used to these stupid changes like this is next level there's no alternative route bar driving through residential areas. Gateshead, Newcastle and North Tyneside councils need shot as they're absolutely clueless. It's like their actively trying to cause congestion everywhere. Gateshead in particular.

Least it makes a change to having a war with the barriers along Coatsworth with the Jews which mysteriously move every day. The pathetic thing is the same changes also affect buses so there's literally no win for anyone bar a few bikes (who don't exist).

Andreos1

11 Jan 2021, 9:35 am #14
Having seen and witnessed Gateshead Councils love of white paint and traffic lights, coupled with the absolutely sackless road management scheme on Askew Road and earlier in the year on the flyover - it wouldn't surprise me to hear that the story regarding Durham Road is true.

Going back to the flyover being back to one-lane. I was on it 3 times last week. 
Once heading north and twice heading south. The works on there at the moment seem to relate to replacing the barriers on the central reservation, rather than anything sinister or cycle-lane related.

Andreos1
11 Jan 2021, 9:35 am #14

Having seen and witnessed Gateshead Councils love of white paint and traffic lights, coupled with the absolutely sackless road management scheme on Askew Road and earlier in the year on the flyover - it wouldn't surprise me to hear that the story regarding Durham Road is true.

Going back to the flyover being back to one-lane. I was on it 3 times last week. 
Once heading north and twice heading south. The works on there at the moment seem to relate to replacing the barriers on the central reservation, rather than anything sinister or cycle-lane related.

Malarkey

13 Jan 2021, 3:45 pm #15
(10 Jan 2021, 10:22 pm)Storx This has to be a joke? I'm used to these stupid changes like this is next level there's no alternative route bar driving through residential areas. Gateshead, Newcastle and North Tyneside councils need shot as they're absolutely clueless. It's like their actively trying to cause congestion everywhere. Gateshead in particular.

It is a joke to which I literally no idea how they would re-route bus services towards Durham other than by either going up Beaconsfield Road and making very tight left on to Kells Lane along and back on to Durham Road at The Coach House or they go down Belle Vue Bank and turn left on Saltwell Road South and run along to Harlow Green to rejoin Durham Road.

I agree nobody is winning in this scenario it is just an inconvenience to everybody in the local area.
Malarkey
13 Jan 2021, 3:45 pm #15

(10 Jan 2021, 10:22 pm)Storx This has to be a joke? I'm used to these stupid changes like this is next level there's no alternative route bar driving through residential areas. Gateshead, Newcastle and North Tyneside councils need shot as they're absolutely clueless. It's like their actively trying to cause congestion everywhere. Gateshead in particular.

It is a joke to which I literally no idea how they would re-route bus services towards Durham other than by either going up Beaconsfield Road and making very tight left on to Kells Lane along and back on to Durham Road at The Coach House or they go down Belle Vue Bank and turn left on Saltwell Road South and run along to Harlow Green to rejoin Durham Road.

I agree nobody is winning in this scenario it is just an inconvenience to everybody in the local area.

BusLoverMum

15 Jan 2021, 12:00 am #16
Surely this would just move the traffic from the main road into the residential side street (and heck, Kells Lane is busy enough and many of the houses right in the street with no front garden so would be breathing it all right in. It would achieve nothing useful.
BusLoverMum
15 Jan 2021, 12:00 am #16

Surely this would just move the traffic from the main road into the residential side street (and heck, Kells Lane is busy enough and many of the houses right in the street with no front garden so would be breathing it all right in. It would achieve nothing useful.

Rob44

17 Jan 2021, 2:08 pm #17
I remember when people thought stopping the buses running down nothumberland street was a bad idea and would kill traded to all the shops in the city!
Rob44
17 Jan 2021, 2:08 pm #17

I remember when people thought stopping the buses running down nothumberland street was a bad idea and would kill traded to all the shops in the city!

Wybus

26 Jun 2021, 6:16 pm #18
This is more car related than bus related, but say you were coming up the A1 or coming down Lobley Hill, and you wanted to make your way towards the Central Motorway, maybe say to head towards the Coast Road, now they’ve closed the end of Askew Road, which way are you supposed to go?
Wybus
26 Jun 2021, 6:16 pm #18

This is more car related than bus related, but say you were coming up the A1 or coming down Lobley Hill, and you wanted to make your way towards the Central Motorway, maybe say to head towards the Coast Road, now they’ve closed the end of Askew Road, which way are you supposed to go?

MurdnunoC

26 Jun 2021, 6:47 pm #19
(26 Jun 2021, 6:16 pm)Wybus This is more car related than bus related, but say you were coming up the A1 or coming down Lobley Hill, and you wanted to make your way towards the Central Motorway, maybe say to head towards the Coast Road, now they’ve closed the end of Askew Road, which way are you supposed to go?

A1, A184, Redheugh Bridge, down and along the Quayside, Gibson Street (B1600), Shieldfield Lane (B1600), Stoddart Street (B1600), Portland Terrace (B1600), Jesmond Road (A1058), then Coast Road.
MurdnunoC
26 Jun 2021, 6:47 pm #19

(26 Jun 2021, 6:16 pm)Wybus This is more car related than bus related, but say you were coming up the A1 or coming down Lobley Hill, and you wanted to make your way towards the Central Motorway, maybe say to head towards the Coast Road, now they’ve closed the end of Askew Road, which way are you supposed to go?

A1, A184, Redheugh Bridge, down and along the Quayside, Gibson Street (B1600), Shieldfield Lane (B1600), Stoddart Street (B1600), Portland Terrace (B1600), Jesmond Road (A1058), then Coast Road.

V514DFT

27 Jun 2021, 4:20 am #20
(26 Jun 2021, 6:47 pm)MurdnunoC A1, A184, Redheugh Bridge, down and along the Quayside, Gibson Street (B1600), Shieldfield Lane (B1600), Stoddart Street (B1600), Portland Terrace (B1600), Jesmond Road (A1058), then Coast Road.
I'd go A1,A184,St James Boulevard,Barrack Road,A167,Central Motorway,Jesmond Road (A1058),Coast Road

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
27 Jun 2021, 4:20 am #20

(26 Jun 2021, 6:47 pm)MurdnunoC A1, A184, Redheugh Bridge, down and along the Quayside, Gibson Street (B1600), Shieldfield Lane (B1600), Stoddart Street (B1600), Portland Terrace (B1600), Jesmond Road (A1058), then Coast Road.
I'd go A1,A184,St James Boulevard,Barrack Road,A167,Central Motorway,Jesmond Road (A1058),Coast Road

Kind Regards
Tez

Pages (2): 1 2 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average