Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Gateshead Area Developments

Gateshead Area Developments

Gateshead Area Developments

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2): Previous 1 2
Andreos1

27 Jun 2021, 9:59 am #21
(26 Jun 2021, 6:16 pm)Wybus This is more car related than bus related, but say you were coming up the A1 or coming down Lobley Hill, and you wanted to make your way towards the Central Motorway, maybe say to head towards the Coast Road, now they’ve closed the end of Askew Road, which way are you supposed to go?

I'd simply move the pollution problem to another part of Gateshead, see what white paint had been thrown about in while abandon and navigate through the town centre - before joining the A167 at some point (either at the flyover or outside Tesco) and scooting on to the Tyne Bridge.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
27 Jun 2021, 9:59 am #21

(26 Jun 2021, 6:16 pm)Wybus This is more car related than bus related, but say you were coming up the A1 or coming down Lobley Hill, and you wanted to make your way towards the Central Motorway, maybe say to head towards the Coast Road, now they’ve closed the end of Askew Road, which way are you supposed to go?

I'd simply move the pollution problem to another part of Gateshead, see what white paint had been thrown about in while abandon and navigate through the town centre - before joining the A167 at some point (either at the flyover or outside Tesco) and scooting on to the Tyne Bridge.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Malarkey

27 Jun 2021, 2:07 pm #22

Along Askew Road on to the A184 (Prince Consort Road/Charles Street), then on to the A167 for the Tyne Bridge is current route most car users are using but it does leave Charles Street gridlocked thus resulting in further tail backs on Bensham Road/Prince Consort Road.

Safe to say making the bottom end of Askew Road a Bus/Cycle Lane has worked if use the latter but for Car users it has caused total misery.
Malarkey
27 Jun 2021, 2:07 pm #22

Along Askew Road on to the A184 (Prince Consort Road/Charles Street), then on to the A167 for the Tyne Bridge is current route most car users are using but it does leave Charles Street gridlocked thus resulting in further tail backs on Bensham Road/Prince Consort Road.

Safe to say making the bottom end of Askew Road a Bus/Cycle Lane has worked if use the latter but for Car users it has caused total misery.

27 Jun 2021, 2:13 pm #23
(27 Jun 2021, 2:07 pm)Malarkey Along Askew Road on to the A184 (Prince Consort Road/Charles Street), then on to the A167 for the Tyne Bridge is current route most car users are using but it does leave Charles Street gridlocked thus resulting in further tail backs on Bensham Road/Prince Consort Road.

Most car users ignore the bus lane cameras on Askew Road, Gateshead Council must be making a fortune in fines.

Usually when I go into Gateshead town centre because of the constant gridlock on Prince Consort Road I park near the High Level Bridge. Gateshead Council haven’t really thought this through properly.

Another problem that’s causing congestion is going past the entrance / exit to Trinity Square Car Park due to the council blocking the road for cars wanting to go to Newcastle.

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk
TEN 6083
27 Jun 2021, 2:13 pm #23

(27 Jun 2021, 2:07 pm)Malarkey Along Askew Road on to the A184 (Prince Consort Road/Charles Street), then on to the A167 for the Tyne Bridge is current route most car users are using but it does leave Charles Street gridlocked thus resulting in further tail backs on Bensham Road/Prince Consort Road.

Most car users ignore the bus lane cameras on Askew Road, Gateshead Council must be making a fortune in fines.

Usually when I go into Gateshead town centre because of the constant gridlock on Prince Consort Road I park near the High Level Bridge. Gateshead Council haven’t really thought this through properly.

Another problem that’s causing congestion is going past the entrance / exit to Trinity Square Car Park due to the council blocking the road for cars wanting to go to Newcastle.

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk

Wybus

27 Jun 2021, 10:14 pm #24

It’s debatable if it’s improved matters for bus users, as they already had roads that were basically buses only (the very bottom of West Street and also Hills Street) and as you say they now get snarled up in the delays around the Civic Centre

The new routing is what I couldn’t work out, if Askew Road now basically leads to a dead end, with a diversion around 3 sides of a Gateshead square, surely it’s be quicker to come into town either through Bensham or on Durham Road past The Angel. Neither is what I’d expect Gateshead council want people to do.
Wybus
27 Jun 2021, 10:14 pm #24

It’s debatable if it’s improved matters for bus users, as they already had roads that were basically buses only (the very bottom of West Street and also Hills Street) and as you say they now get snarled up in the delays around the Civic Centre

The new routing is what I couldn’t work out, if Askew Road now basically leads to a dead end, with a diversion around 3 sides of a Gateshead square, surely it’s be quicker to come into town either through Bensham or on Durham Road past The Angel. Neither is what I’d expect Gateshead council want people to do.

N1cholas

28 Jun 2021, 8:23 am #25
The bus did have hills street as a bus lane but as it was not signalised it was not the safest junction for buses to enter the A167 for the tyne bridge because of the speed of the traffic that hurtles down there.
The only safe time at busy times was when the pedestrian crossing was on green for pedestrians then as soon as amber was showing for cars you had the F1 drivers (normally taxis) taking off the start line to get in pole position
I bet there was many near misses at that junction over the years, it is an inconvenience to cars but bus passenger safety is paramount and it is now safer than ever.
Askew road could have been designed a lot better though to allow all vehicle traffic to turn left on to the bridge using the space currently used up with the most pointless 2 lane cycle path, they could have narrowed that to 1 lane, had 2 lanes for other traffic and 1 lane for buses only, improving safety for all and easing congestion from gateshead town centre 
.png
askew.png
Size: 1.32 MB / Downloads: 24
Edited 28 Jun 2021, 8:24 am by N1cholas.
N1cholas
28 Jun 2021, 8:23 am #25

The bus did have hills street as a bus lane but as it was not signalised it was not the safest junction for buses to enter the A167 for the tyne bridge because of the speed of the traffic that hurtles down there.
The only safe time at busy times was when the pedestrian crossing was on green for pedestrians then as soon as amber was showing for cars you had the F1 drivers (normally taxis) taking off the start line to get in pole position
I bet there was many near misses at that junction over the years, it is an inconvenience to cars but bus passenger safety is paramount and it is now safer than ever.
Askew road could have been designed a lot better though to allow all vehicle traffic to turn left on to the bridge using the space currently used up with the most pointless 2 lane cycle path, they could have narrowed that to 1 lane, had 2 lanes for other traffic and 1 lane for buses only, improving safety for all and easing congestion from gateshead town centre 

.png
askew.png
Size: 1.32 MB / Downloads: 24

ne14ne1

03 Jul 2021, 9:54 pm #26
(28 Jun 2021, 8:23 am)N1cholas The bus did have hills street as a bus lane but as it was not signalised it was not the safest junction for buses to enter the A167 for the tyne bridge because of the speed of the traffic that hurtles down there.

But the idea was also to significantly reduce the amount of traffic turning from Askew Road on to the Tyne Bridge, as it brings Gateshead Highway traffic to a halt each time Askew gets a green light.
Plus when the Tyne Bridge eventually reduces to one lane for general traffic in each direction then you want as few roads/junctions funnelling traffic onto the approach as possible.  Hence removing all traffic except buses from the Askew junction.
ne14ne1
03 Jul 2021, 9:54 pm #26

(28 Jun 2021, 8:23 am)N1cholas The bus did have hills street as a bus lane but as it was not signalised it was not the safest junction for buses to enter the A167 for the tyne bridge because of the speed of the traffic that hurtles down there.

But the idea was also to significantly reduce the amount of traffic turning from Askew Road on to the Tyne Bridge, as it brings Gateshead Highway traffic to a halt each time Askew gets a green light.
Plus when the Tyne Bridge eventually reduces to one lane for general traffic in each direction then you want as few roads/junctions funnelling traffic onto the approach as possible.  Hence removing all traffic except buses from the Askew junction.

Pages (2): Previous 1 2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average