Login Register
North East Buses Local Bus Scene Bus Operations, Management & Infrastructure
Lord Adonis publishes NELEP North East Independent Economic Review
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/resources/files/28979

Any views?

Lack of regional smartcard (Oyster style) that the report recommends is sorted within 18 months.

Metro to regional towns without a connection

Direct flight to USA

Return of Ferry service to Norway

Improve A1, A19 and A194. Create a Newcastle ring road.

Set up a new agency which is like Nexus for the North East.

They could call it Tyne, Wear and Tees. The acronym would be interesting Angel
There are some proposals that wouldn't affect me whatsoever, but I would be interested to see how well they work. The direct flight to USA is a prime example. I wasn't aware that you couldn't get a direct flight (I've only been abroad a few times and pay very little attention to airplanes other than that), but I'd guess it could be beneficial to those who require it!

About the Metro, I'm sure we've discussed it before. It's something I'd love to see.

And haha, Think they might miss out the 'A' in that one? Wink
Whilst hopeful having someone to throw their weight behind the scheme like Lord Adonis, will help and agreeing with a number of the points put forward, including the ones mentioned here.
I can't see much of it coming off soon.

* Metro to regional towns without a connection - whatever option is put forward, relying on a mix of public and inevitably private funds will lead to long delays.

* Direct flight to USA - much like the route buses have gone down, partnerships and cartels in the industry along with 'interchange hubs', mean this is unlikely to take off (excuse the pun) soon. Unless there is a major demand for direct flights, regular/scheduled stuff from Newcastle will continue to feed into Schipol, CDG, Heathrow and Dubai.
Comparing it to buses - as much as a direct link between Bishop Auckland and Sunderland might benefit commuters and private enterprise, unless the operators see a massive demand or major profit, it isn't likely to happen soon. You can still make the journey with a change at Durham. The same can be said for flights between Newcastle and New York...

* Return of Ferry service to Norway - What was a vital service for oil workers and Norwegian tourists at Christmas, was stopped several years ago, not long after DFDS bought out the previous operator. Seeing it wasn't making enough money from their point of view, they axed it not long after axing the route to Sweden... Having used the service a number of times, both growing up and as an adult, I would love to see it come back.

* Improve A1, A19 and A194 - this goes without saying. The Tyne Tunnel 2 has made a major difference, but junction and traffic flow improvements need sorting sooner rather than later, including dualling sections beyond Morpeth.

* Create a Newcastle ring road. - see above. Not sure it would go down well with homeowners or environmentalists though.

* Set up a new agency which is like Nexus for the North East - as long as it wasn't a drain on taxpayers money, wasn't a talking shop for the 'old boys network', actually worked and made a difference, then I think it would help with public transport integration.
* Direct flight to USA - much like the route buses have gone down, partnerships and cartels in the industry along with 'interchange hubs', mean this is unlikely to take off (excuse the pun) soon. Unless there is a major demand for direct flights, regular/scheduled stuff from Newcastle will continue to feed into Schipol, CDG, Heathrow and Dubai.
Comparing it to buses - as much as a direct link between Bishop Auckland and Sunderland might benefit commuters and private enterprise, unless the operators see a massive demand or major profit, it isn't likely to happen soon. You can still make the journey with a change at Durham. The same can be said for flights between Newcastle and New York...

I'm sure that American Airlines had signed an agreement in 2001, to operate a daily flight to JFK, but pulled out in the wake 9/11 and downturn in air travel. Newcastle International Airport had already started work to provide air bridges for their use. Eventually Emirates were persuaded to come in, and the rest they say is history.
Yeah, I think they did - sure there were publicity shots etc prior to the doomed launch.

Pretty certain Jet2 did/do run seasonal winter flights to New York from Newcastle too.

However, the majority of airline companies use the hub and spoke model (buses seem to be jumping on the bandwaggon) hence the success of Emirates flying to Dubai.
Newcastle won't get a US flight outside of the Jet2 charters to Newark.

I could be wrong but I don't see it happening

We'd be far better off getting a flight to another European hub (where a huge amount of our exports go) like Frankfurt
Very few regional airports have direct scheduled flights to anything else but big hubs like Schipol, Frankfurt, Heathrow etc.
Gatwick is one of the few non-hub airports that operates a major level of point to point stuff, whereas the likes of Newcastle, East Midlands, Bristol etc don't operate anything like the same level of direct flights
(15/05/2013, 21:50)Andreos1 Wrote: Very few regional airports have direct scheduled flights to anything else but big hubs like Schipol, Frankfurt, Heathrow etc.
Gatwick is one of the few non-hub airports that operates a major level of point to point stuff, whereas the likes of Newcastle, East Midlands, Bristol etc don't operate anything like the same level of direct flights

Bristol used to have a direct US route which gave NCL hope but then it was axed after 5 years of flying in 2010.

I don't mind hubs, I'd love a link to London City again but it was tried and failed and it looks almost certain that NCL is going to lose the Gatwick route shortly
Yeah I was reading about them looking to sell their selling their slots at Gatwick. When British airways shifted the majority of their stuff and axed their Gatwick route, whoever picked it up wasn't going to make millions.

London City is ideal and I can't understand it failing.
It's minutes from the city and if marketed/priced correctly, would prove serious competition for people heading to London
(15/05/2013, 22:25)Andreos1 Wrote: Yeah I was reading about them looking to sell their selling their slots at Gatwick. When British airways shifted the majority of their stuff and axed their Gatwick route, whoever picked it up wasn't going to make millions.

London City is ideal and I can't understand it failing.
It's minutes from the city and if marketed/priced correctly, would prove serious competition for people heading to London

It was Eastern who operated LCY and it was done as a premium business service, if you consider some Eastern flights to Birmingham cost as much as £400 return you can imagine the LCY cost.

A BA Citiflyer service into LCY, even twice daily would be good