Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Follingsby Lane

Follingsby Lane

Follingsby Lane

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Storx

07 Jul 2020, 11:45 am #1
Noticed that there's been a transforming fund won to widen this to two lanes so buses can use the route which is supposedly being done now but I was wondering if anyone has heard of anything about this.

https://goo.gl/maps/2PW1z7W3AcDDPk6M6 - This is Follingsby Lane for those non-local.

Seen it mentions though, 'This re-routing provides new sustainable travel opportunities by bus from Newcastle, Middlesbrough and Sunderland, which will reduce car trips to these places,' so is there longer terms to redirect the X9 and X10 down here, seems a bit strange though as it'll slow them down quite a bit. Not sure what bus from Sunderland could go down there; X24 maybe?

https://northeastca.gov.uk/wp-content/up...ackage.pdf
Storx
07 Jul 2020, 11:45 am #1

Noticed that there's been a transforming fund won to widen this to two lanes so buses can use the route which is supposedly being done now but I was wondering if anyone has heard of anything about this.

https://goo.gl/maps/2PW1z7W3AcDDPk6M6 - This is Follingsby Lane for those non-local.

Seen it mentions though, 'This re-routing provides new sustainable travel opportunities by bus from Newcastle, Middlesbrough and Sunderland, which will reduce car trips to these places,' so is there longer terms to redirect the X9 and X10 down here, seems a bit strange though as it'll slow them down quite a bit. Not sure what bus from Sunderland could go down there; X24 maybe?

tyresmoke

07 Jul 2020, 12:11 pm #2
(07 Jul 2020, 11:45 am)Storx Noticed that there's been a transforming fund won to widen this to two lanes so buses can use the route which is supposedly being done now but I was wondering if anyone has heard of anything about this.

Looking on the map & satellite view it appears to be home to a number of logistics type warehouses - and of course the next Amazon site (no 3 in NE) is going in next to Follingsby Lane which will generate a number of trips too. I think there is a good chance that a few buses will be diverted around here when that is complete. It will certainly help to fill some of the contra-peak trips that carry very little, similar to how Cobalt & Quorum do on services in North Tyne.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
07 Jul 2020, 12:11 pm #2

(07 Jul 2020, 11:45 am)Storx Noticed that there's been a transforming fund won to widen this to two lanes so buses can use the route which is supposedly being done now but I was wondering if anyone has heard of anything about this.

Looking on the map & satellite view it appears to be home to a number of logistics type warehouses - and of course the next Amazon site (no 3 in NE) is going in next to Follingsby Lane which will generate a number of trips too. I think there is a good chance that a few buses will be diverted around here when that is complete. It will certainly help to fill some of the contra-peak trips that carry very little, similar to how Cobalt & Quorum do on services in North Tyne.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

idiot

07 Jul 2020, 3:24 pm #3
I cycle along there a lot.
great road surface for the majority except between the A1290 and the bridge.
idiot
07 Jul 2020, 3:24 pm #3

I cycle along there a lot.
great road surface for the majority except between the A1290 and the bridge.

Andreos1

07 Jul 2020, 3:32 pm #4
I haven't been along there for ages, but took the road when the A184 was closed a few months back. Couldn't believe the changes to the road network around there and guessed it was linked to the manufacturing site being built opposite Nissan. 

It makes sense to look to attract public transport to the area, don't think there's been anything too regular down to Follingsby over the years, however with the Leamside Line cutting through it all, I'm surprised there isn't much reference to that amongst the documents. 
I'm also surprised they haven't looked at offering an alternative entrance/exit closer to Whitemare Pool.

(07 Jul 2020, 12:11 pm)tyresmoke Looking on the map & satellite view it appears to be home to a number of logistics type warehouses - and of course the next Amazon site (no 3 in NE) is going in next to Follingsby Lane which will generate a number of trips too. I think there is a good chance that a few buses will be diverted around here when that is complete. It will certainly help to fill some of the contra-peak trips that carry very little, similar to how Cobalt & Quorum do on services in North Tyne.

The two services which jumped out immediately were the 558 and 35.
A route variation to the 558 could be do-able and an extension to the Boldon Cinema terminators on the 35 would seem to make sense.
Edited 07 Jul 2020, 3:35 pm by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
07 Jul 2020, 3:32 pm #4

I haven't been along there for ages, but took the road when the A184 was closed a few months back. Couldn't believe the changes to the road network around there and guessed it was linked to the manufacturing site being built opposite Nissan. 

It makes sense to look to attract public transport to the area, don't think there's been anything too regular down to Follingsby over the years, however with the Leamside Line cutting through it all, I'm surprised there isn't much reference to that amongst the documents. 
I'm also surprised they haven't looked at offering an alternative entrance/exit closer to Whitemare Pool.

(07 Jul 2020, 12:11 pm)tyresmoke Looking on the map & satellite view it appears to be home to a number of logistics type warehouses - and of course the next Amazon site (no 3 in NE) is going in next to Follingsby Lane which will generate a number of trips too. I think there is a good chance that a few buses will be diverted around here when that is complete. It will certainly help to fill some of the contra-peak trips that carry very little, similar to how Cobalt & Quorum do on services in North Tyne.

The two services which jumped out immediately were the 558 and 35.
A route variation to the 558 could be do-able and an extension to the Boldon Cinema terminators on the 35 would seem to make sense.

Storx

07 Jul 2020, 4:48 pm #5
I was just reading the document and seen Nexus added this:
"On behalf of Nexus,I wish to express our support for the Follingsby Lane scheme upgrade. The projectwill improve the condition of the road within the geography and to the standard expressed in the template Transforming Cities Bid and, most importantly, restrict vehicular access to public transport and local traffic only. With the co-operation of the commercial bus operators and in partnership with IAMP LLP, thisscheme will facilitate vital public transport connections between the International Advanced Manufacturing Park, the Follingsby Max developmentand a number of local and regional conurbations. It willprovide access to jobs and training opportunities for local people without increasing road congestionand so willpositivelyimpact on local employment, productivity and economic growth.To demonstrate Nexus’ commitment to this scheme, new bus shelters with real time service information will also be provided at Follingsby and IAMP to provide an improved waiting environment for passengers. Nexus view this scheme as the first step in an ambitious wider development.If delivered to its full potential,the introduction of a local connectivity hub in the Follingsby locality will connect bus services with a local rail link, a substantial Park and Ride facility andsustainable transport options. Looking to the future, it may also become a test-bed for autonomous vehicle services"

It sounds like it's going to be a more than a quick bolt on to some unprofitable service. Notice there's a map where they want to improve
Newcastle Airport -> Newcastle -> Heworth -> Boldon -> IAMP / Follingsby -> Sunderland Enterprise Park -> Sunderland

https://northeastca.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/annex_for_pt_reliability_package-1.pdf - It's in there.

Guessing that's where one of the first P&R sites is planned to be aswell. Interesting choice though as it could potentially work for Newcastle and Sunderland if the buses are actually quick enough. The 'regional' would suggest that the X9/X10 is planned to go down there at some point if they can; not sure if people will be happy with that though.

Noticed in the same document they want to improve links between Newcastle -> Metro Centre -> Team Valley -> Chestle-le-Street / Washington -> Durham -> Newton Aycliffe. Could this be the X-lines X22 service was has been hinted at before.
Storx
07 Jul 2020, 4:48 pm #5

I was just reading the document and seen Nexus added this:
"On behalf of Nexus,I wish to express our support for the Follingsby Lane scheme upgrade. The projectwill improve the condition of the road within the geography and to the standard expressed in the template Transforming Cities Bid and, most importantly, restrict vehicular access to public transport and local traffic only. With the co-operation of the commercial bus operators and in partnership with IAMP LLP, thisscheme will facilitate vital public transport connections between the International Advanced Manufacturing Park, the Follingsby Max developmentand a number of local and regional conurbations. It willprovide access to jobs and training opportunities for local people without increasing road congestionand so willpositivelyimpact on local employment, productivity and economic growth.To demonstrate Nexus’ commitment to this scheme, new bus shelters with real time service information will also be provided at Follingsby and IAMP to provide an improved waiting environment for passengers. Nexus view this scheme as the first step in an ambitious wider development.If delivered to its full potential,the introduction of a local connectivity hub in the Follingsby locality will connect bus services with a local rail link, a substantial Park and Ride facility andsustainable transport options. Looking to the future, it may also become a test-bed for autonomous vehicle services"

It sounds like it's going to be a more than a quick bolt on to some unprofitable service. Notice there's a map where they want to improve
Newcastle Airport -> Newcastle -> Heworth -> Boldon -> IAMP / Follingsby -> Sunderland Enterprise Park -> Sunderland

https://northeastca.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/annex_for_pt_reliability_package-1.pdf - It's in there.

Guessing that's where one of the first P&R sites is planned to be aswell. Interesting choice though as it could potentially work for Newcastle and Sunderland if the buses are actually quick enough. The 'regional' would suggest that the X9/X10 is planned to go down there at some point if they can; not sure if people will be happy with that though.

Noticed in the same document they want to improve links between Newcastle -> Metro Centre -> Team Valley -> Chestle-le-Street / Washington -> Durham -> Newton Aycliffe. Could this be the X-lines X22 service was has been hinted at before.

Andreos1

07 Jul 2020, 6:41 pm #6
(07 Jul 2020, 4:48 pm)Storx I was just reading the document and seen Nexus added this:

Must admit, that I didn't read the whole thing properly, so interesting to see those comments from Nexus. 
I'm pretty sure Follingsby has been mooted as a potential P&R site for years now.

As for operators sticking prime routes on, I'm not convinced they would do that unless there was some sort of financial incentive. A kick starter or partnership with the landowner might be enough to convince GNE to divert an X9/10 or create a new route of sorts. 
What the landowner, Dft and Nexus might want, may be totally different to what the commercial operators are willing to offer.

Andreos1
07 Jul 2020, 6:41 pm #6

(07 Jul 2020, 4:48 pm)Storx I was just reading the document and seen Nexus added this:

Must admit, that I didn't read the whole thing properly, so interesting to see those comments from Nexus. 
I'm pretty sure Follingsby has been mooted as a potential P&R site for years now.

As for operators sticking prime routes on, I'm not convinced they would do that unless there was some sort of financial incentive. A kick starter or partnership with the landowner might be enough to convince GNE to divert an X9/10 or create a new route of sorts. 
What the landowner, Dft and Nexus might want, may be totally different to what the commercial operators are willing to offer.

07 Jul 2020, 7:30 pm #7
I think extending the 35/35A to Heworth via Follingsby would be the most sensible thing to do, but then again, I don't see GNE doing it commercially, unless it starts pulling in the sort of passengers the 56 does along past Nissan.
deanmachine
07 Jul 2020, 7:30 pm #7

I think extending the 35/35A to Heworth via Follingsby would be the most sensible thing to do, but then again, I don't see GNE doing it commercially, unless it starts pulling in the sort of passengers the 56 does along past Nissan.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average