Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Pricing

Pricing

Pricing

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (89): Previous 151 52 5389 Next
Andreos1

20 Oct 2017, 11:53 am #1,021
(20 Oct 2017, 10:40 am)GuyParkRoyal Several years ago I stopped using the train for local travel because the bus was so much cheaper. I recently decided to give rail travel another try due to ageing buses appearing on the X21 and single deck vehicles creeping on to the 21 allocation.
I was surprised to discover that the train is now cheaper than the bus for my travel from Chester le Street to Durham and Newcastle (after 09:00).
Chester le Street to Newcastle return by bus £5.00
Chester le Street to Newcastle return by train £4.70 but reduced to £3.10 using my railcard.
Chester le Street to Durham return by bus £5.00
Chester le Street to Durham return by train £4.00 reduced to £2.65 using my railcard.
The train might not be as frequent as the bus but on the days when I can plan my journey around the train timetable that will now be my preferred mode of travel.

If word gets around that the train is cheaper, it may see demand dictate a more frequent service on train - obviously dicated by pathing issues.

I got off a TPX (which was heading to Newcastle) a few weekends ago at Chester and the platform was full of people waiting to board.
Obviously it isnt like that for every train, but there must be a reason they were all using the infrequent train, over the 24hr bus.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
20 Oct 2017, 11:53 am #1,021

(20 Oct 2017, 10:40 am)GuyParkRoyal Several years ago I stopped using the train for local travel because the bus was so much cheaper. I recently decided to give rail travel another try due to ageing buses appearing on the X21 and single deck vehicles creeping on to the 21 allocation.
I was surprised to discover that the train is now cheaper than the bus for my travel from Chester le Street to Durham and Newcastle (after 09:00).
Chester le Street to Newcastle return by bus £5.00
Chester le Street to Newcastle return by train £4.70 but reduced to £3.10 using my railcard.
Chester le Street to Durham return by bus £5.00
Chester le Street to Durham return by train £4.00 reduced to £2.65 using my railcard.
The train might not be as frequent as the bus but on the days when I can plan my journey around the train timetable that will now be my preferred mode of travel.

If word gets around that the train is cheaper, it may see demand dictate a more frequent service on train - obviously dicated by pathing issues.

I got off a TPX (which was heading to Newcastle) a few weekends ago at Chester and the platform was full of people waiting to board.
Obviously it isnt like that for every train, but there must be a reason they were all using the infrequent train, over the 24hr bus.

Ambassador

20 Oct 2017, 12:00 pm #1,022
(20 Oct 2017, 11:53 am)Andreos1 If word gets around that the train is cheaper, it may see demand dictate a more frequent service on train - obviously dicated by pathing issues.

An ageing rattly Solar or a B7...even a Hybrid with loud NSA's which will take around 45 minutes in peak traffic vs a train in around 10 minutes.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
20 Oct 2017, 12:00 pm #1,022

(20 Oct 2017, 11:53 am)Andreos1 If word gets around that the train is cheaper, it may see demand dictate a more frequent service on train - obviously dicated by pathing issues.

An ageing rattly Solar or a B7...even a Hybrid with loud NSA's which will take around 45 minutes in peak traffic vs a train in around 10 minutes.

Andreos1

06 Nov 2017, 12:29 pm #1,023
http://www.citymetric.com/transport/sadi...buses-3455

Re-design of 'Hopper' fare, sees increase in usage.
Amazing what happens when the pricing of tickets is made even more attractive.

Andreos1
06 Nov 2017, 12:29 pm #1,023

http://www.citymetric.com/transport/sadi...buses-3455

Tamesider

06 Nov 2017, 8:30 pm #1,024
(06 Nov 2017, 12:29 pm)Andreos1 http://www.citymetric.com/transport/sadi...buses-3455

Not really relevant to de-regulated Britain, though.
Tamesider
06 Nov 2017, 8:30 pm #1,024

(06 Nov 2017, 12:29 pm)Andreos1 http://www.citymetric.com/transport/sadi...buses-3455

Not really relevant to de-regulated Britain, though.

Tamesider

06 Nov 2017, 8:56 pm #1,025

Only just come across this thread, and those rail fares are cheap even by GM standards. I also live where there is an element of competition, on a section of route of about 4 miles into Manchester Piccadilly:

(Return) Rail fare  is £4.70 peak; £3.60 off-peak. This of course, includes both Rail and Metrolink across the city centre. Off-peak seems to be based on a 0930 arrival time in Manchester, not departure time from originating station. The service runs approx every 30 minutes off-peak, with up to 5 trains an hour on a very haphazard peak timetable. Journey time is between 8 and 14 minutes dependant on how many stops. Punctuality varies, but at present is poor. Trains are Class 142 & 150, with the occasional 156. Loadings are heavy and increasing dramatically. Its an ATN franchise. This seems to be mainly due to additional employment and/or transferring from buses, as it has not halted the continuing growth in traffic congestion.

Bus Fare is £4.30 (eff. flat fare for any return journey above 1.5 miles in most of GM). The service runs every 10 mins off-peak (slightly less in the morning peak). Journey time is between 24 and 30 minutes. Punctuality is poor between 0830 & 1100, but reasonable at other times. Sat/Sun morning punctuality was also poor until last weekend, but Stagecoach have finally addressed this, 33 months after parrallel services were slashed which exacerbated already tight running times. Around 90% of buses are Euro6 E400 MMCs.

Today was a classic example of transport problems: Trains were disrupted more than usual, due to a signal failure further down the line - the second consecutive Monday this has happened! The problem was fixed later in the morning, but trains were still running late this evening. Due to this morning's problems, I caught the bus - which was slightly late for the first mile or so, and then hit solid traffic. A 10+ minute delay due to an accident was exacerbated by GMP deciding two bus loads of passengers would be the ideal candidates to be further delayed, whilst they spent four minutes manouevering the low-loader with the damaged car away. Of course, it wasn't just us further inconvenienced, our driver was coming off onto his mealbreak just 5 minutes down the road, so his further delay would have a knock on effect to the passengers on his second half of his duty, as well as the outbound passengers on the bus' next journey.

Getting back to the point, and this might not apply in the case of Chester-le-Street, but  round here, any further increase in rail passengers/services would not only bring about more capacity issues (and tax spending to solve/satisfy them), but also reduce the viability of competing buses. That in turn must result in increased car ownership and ergo increased congestion/pollution. Not to mention, lower quality of life for those that can't drive for whatever reason.
Tamesider
06 Nov 2017, 8:56 pm #1,025

Only just come across this thread, and those rail fares are cheap even by GM standards. I also live where there is an element of competition, on a section of route of about 4 miles into Manchester Piccadilly:

(Return) Rail fare  is £4.70 peak; £3.60 off-peak. This of course, includes both Rail and Metrolink across the city centre. Off-peak seems to be based on a 0930 arrival time in Manchester, not departure time from originating station. The service runs approx every 30 minutes off-peak, with up to 5 trains an hour on a very haphazard peak timetable. Journey time is between 8 and 14 minutes dependant on how many stops. Punctuality varies, but at present is poor. Trains are Class 142 & 150, with the occasional 156. Loadings are heavy and increasing dramatically. Its an ATN franchise. This seems to be mainly due to additional employment and/or transferring from buses, as it has not halted the continuing growth in traffic congestion.

Bus Fare is £4.30 (eff. flat fare for any return journey above 1.5 miles in most of GM). The service runs every 10 mins off-peak (slightly less in the morning peak). Journey time is between 24 and 30 minutes. Punctuality is poor between 0830 & 1100, but reasonable at other times. Sat/Sun morning punctuality was also poor until last weekend, but Stagecoach have finally addressed this, 33 months after parrallel services were slashed which exacerbated already tight running times. Around 90% of buses are Euro6 E400 MMCs.

Today was a classic example of transport problems: Trains were disrupted more than usual, due to a signal failure further down the line - the second consecutive Monday this has happened! The problem was fixed later in the morning, but trains were still running late this evening. Due to this morning's problems, I caught the bus - which was slightly late for the first mile or so, and then hit solid traffic. A 10+ minute delay due to an accident was exacerbated by GMP deciding two bus loads of passengers would be the ideal candidates to be further delayed, whilst they spent four minutes manouevering the low-loader with the damaged car away. Of course, it wasn't just us further inconvenienced, our driver was coming off onto his mealbreak just 5 minutes down the road, so his further delay would have a knock on effect to the passengers on his second half of his duty, as well as the outbound passengers on the bus' next journey.

Getting back to the point, and this might not apply in the case of Chester-le-Street, but  round here, any further increase in rail passengers/services would not only bring about more capacity issues (and tax spending to solve/satisfy them), but also reduce the viability of competing buses. That in turn must result in increased car ownership and ergo increased congestion/pollution. Not to mention, lower quality of life for those that can't drive for whatever reason.

Andreos1

06 Nov 2017, 9:19 pm #1,026
(06 Nov 2017, 8:30 pm)Tamesider Not really relevant to de-regulated Britain, though.

Lost me with that one.

(06 Nov 2017, 8:56 pm)Tamesider Only just come across this thread, and those rail fares are cheap even by GM standards. I also live where there is an element of competition, on a section of route of about 4 miles into Manchester Piccadilly:

Chester le Street is a funny place (not just because of its transport quirks!).

As far as public transport goes, bus is king. Despite it being the hub for 'Northern' services for too many years and also in the past, somewhere where independents plied their trade, rail hasnt really taken off.
Despite it being located on the ECML.

The station is privately owned (search: Chester le Track) and for a long time, was neglected and not used.
Chester le Track came along (fronted by an ex Northern employee) and has turned the station around slowly.

XC did stop there for a period until until fairly recently, but now we just see TPX call every two hours. Along with one Northern train per day.
I'm not sure without checking if the Northern Connect services will be stopping there.
Pathing is an issue, but if demand outside commuter peaks is there, maybe something needs to be done?

Bus services in and out of Chester le Street has been consolidated over the years, with direct destinations reduced/axed in some cases.
In the past, you could get to some weird and wonderful places.

Andreos1
06 Nov 2017, 9:19 pm #1,026

(06 Nov 2017, 8:30 pm)Tamesider Not really relevant to de-regulated Britain, though.

Lost me with that one.

(06 Nov 2017, 8:56 pm)Tamesider Only just come across this thread, and those rail fares are cheap even by GM standards. I also live where there is an element of competition, on a section of route of about 4 miles into Manchester Piccadilly:

Chester le Street is a funny place (not just because of its transport quirks!).

As far as public transport goes, bus is king. Despite it being the hub for 'Northern' services for too many years and also in the past, somewhere where independents plied their trade, rail hasnt really taken off.
Despite it being located on the ECML.

The station is privately owned (search: Chester le Track) and for a long time, was neglected and not used.
Chester le Track came along (fronted by an ex Northern employee) and has turned the station around slowly.

XC did stop there for a period until until fairly recently, but now we just see TPX call every two hours. Along with one Northern train per day.
I'm not sure without checking if the Northern Connect services will be stopping there.
Pathing is an issue, but if demand outside commuter peaks is there, maybe something needs to be done?

Bus services in and out of Chester le Street has been consolidated over the years, with direct destinations reduced/axed in some cases.
In the past, you could get to some weird and wonderful places.

Tamesider

06 Nov 2017, 9:52 pm #1,027
(06 Nov 2017, 9:19 pm)Andreos1 Lost me with that one.

> Fares are dictated by Operators, not LAs/Elected Mayors. This MAY change with Bus Reform in such as GM, but concepts such as 59 minute (or longer) connections for free would seem a step too far. One problem we have is that existing Operators charge wildly different fares for identical distance journeys, so if they won't standardise fares by what used to be "stages", I can't see anything more innovative being considered.
Tamesider
06 Nov 2017, 9:52 pm #1,027

(06 Nov 2017, 9:19 pm)Andreos1 Lost me with that one.

> Fares are dictated by Operators, not LAs/Elected Mayors. This MAY change with Bus Reform in such as GM, but concepts such as 59 minute (or longer) connections for free would seem a step too far. One problem we have is that existing Operators charge wildly different fares for identical distance journeys, so if they won't standardise fares by what used to be "stages", I can't see anything more innovative being considered.

Andreos1

06 Nov 2017, 10:07 pm #1,028
I see where you are coming from now.

Here in T&W we have the transfare.
It's been around for years and hasn't really changed. I remember getting them as a kid pre-86.
https://www.nexus.org.uk/adult-transfare

Obviously there are operator day tickets too.

Neither really work, for short trips that inevitably involve a change of bus.

Andreos1
06 Nov 2017, 10:07 pm #1,028

I see where you are coming from now.

Here in T&W we have the transfare.
It's been around for years and hasn't really changed. I remember getting them as a kid pre-86.
https://www.nexus.org.uk/adult-transfare

Obviously there are operator day tickets too.

Neither really work, for short trips that inevitably involve a change of bus.

Ambassador

06 Nov 2017, 10:08 pm #1,029
Until operators move (or are forced to move) away from their own zonal ticketing and onto a Network One (but affordable) type of ticket not much will change.

GNE are far more interested in flogging you a buzzfare than encourage any interworking but North Tyneside smart zone shows it’s affordable

Ambassador
06 Nov 2017, 10:08 pm #1,029

Until operators move (or are forced to move) away from their own zonal ticketing and onto a Network One (but affordable) type of ticket not much will change.

GNE are far more interested in flogging you a buzzfare than encourage any interworking but North Tyneside smart zone shows it’s affordable

Andreos1

06 Nov 2017, 10:29 pm #1,030
(06 Nov 2017, 10:08 pm)Ambassador Until operators move (or are forced to move) away from their own zonal ticketing and onto a Network One (but affordable) type of ticket not much will change.

In some cases, a ticket like a transfer is a no brainer.
Going to or from the airport with cases on the bus and metro might be a pain, but it's excellent value.

The Network One ticket is (in my opinion), the only ticket to get for regular travel in T&W.
The flexibility and price, compared to an operators ticket, is fantastic.

I think the smartzone tickets are too restrictive.

Andreos1
06 Nov 2017, 10:29 pm #1,030

(06 Nov 2017, 10:08 pm)Ambassador Until operators move (or are forced to move) away from their own zonal ticketing and onto a Network One (but affordable) type of ticket not much will change.

In some cases, a ticket like a transfer is a no brainer.
Going to or from the airport with cases on the bus and metro might be a pain, but it's excellent value.

The Network One ticket is (in my opinion), the only ticket to get for regular travel in T&W.
The flexibility and price, compared to an operators ticket, is fantastic.

I think the smartzone tickets are too restrictive.

Adrian

07 Nov 2017, 8:06 pm #1,031

Yep, you're quite right, but who can blame them in the market they're in? If they can have 100% of the profit a ticket generates vs a share, then they're going to go for 100% each time. It will take force imo, because it won't be voluntary. 

SmartZone seems popular, but very selective in terms of where it operates. You'd be stuck to a city or local authority area (or part thereof), rather than offering a modular option to add/remove zones.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
07 Nov 2017, 8:06 pm #1,031

Yep, you're quite right, but who can blame them in the market they're in? If they can have 100% of the profit a ticket generates vs a share, then they're going to go for 100% each time. It will take force imo, because it won't be voluntary. 

SmartZone seems popular, but very selective in terms of where it operates. You'd be stuck to a city or local authority area (or part thereof), rather than offering a modular option to add/remove zones.

Tamesider

07 Nov 2017, 8:50 pm #1,032

Just to put some stats on this; Excluding the two Signal failures and previous Strike - next one is tomorrow, of course - my morning journey is *averaging* 6.25 minutes late arriving in M'cr. The whole journey is scheduled as 30 mins, btw. My usual evening train is more punctual than those either side it in terms of Piccadilly departures, but tonight was typical in that an on time departure translated into 4 minutes late at my home Station - not good for a journey scheduled as just 11 minutes. I also forgot to menton that since I've been catching this journey regularly, it has been reduced from 4-cars to 2, albeit it doesn't overload to the extent of the one in front which has always been 2-car despite being flagged by TFGM as dangerously overloaded.
Tamesider
07 Nov 2017, 8:50 pm #1,032

Just to put some stats on this; Excluding the two Signal failures and previous Strike - next one is tomorrow, of course - my morning journey is *averaging* 6.25 minutes late arriving in M'cr. The whole journey is scheduled as 30 mins, btw. My usual evening train is more punctual than those either side it in terms of Piccadilly departures, but tonight was typical in that an on time departure translated into 4 minutes late at my home Station - not good for a journey scheduled as just 11 minutes. I also forgot to menton that since I've been catching this journey regularly, it has been reduced from 4-cars to 2, albeit it doesn't overload to the extent of the one in front which has always been 2-car despite being flagged by TFGM as dangerously overloaded.

Andreos1

08 Dec 2017, 1:18 pm #1,033
Yet another article/report complaining about the high fares public transport users are facing.

This article focuses on the needs of SEND learners struggling to access FE.

https://feweek.co.uk/2017/12/08/special-...ve-better/

Andreos1
08 Dec 2017, 1:18 pm #1,033

Yet another article/report complaining about the high fares public transport users are facing.

This article focuses on the needs of SEND learners struggling to access FE.

https://feweek.co.uk/2017/12/08/special-...ve-better/

Andreos1

13 Dec 2017, 9:38 pm #1,034
https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/christmas/24hourticket/

It's a start I suppose!

Now for 24hr multi-trip tickets... The types that work really well with that much talked about 'hub & spoke' model.

Andreos1
13 Dec 2017, 9:38 pm #1,034

https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/christmas/24hourticket/

It's a start I suppose!

Now for 24hr multi-trip tickets... The types that work really well with that much talked about 'hub & spoke' model.

2bagstew

13 Dec 2017, 9:46 pm #1,035
No point buying a ticket on December 24th considering you have only 24 hours to active the Return ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2bagstew
13 Dec 2017, 9:46 pm #1,035

No point buying a ticket on December 24th considering you have only 24 hours to active the Return ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pulsar

04 Jan 2018, 7:27 pm #1,036
I was reading recently on a Facebook post that Go North East have discontinued their Newcastle - Metrocentre day and week tickets following low sales. Firstly I think this is a very poor excuse to discontinue a ticket but it has got me thinking about a wider issue at Go North East.

Up until sometime last year all tickets (route and area savers) could be easily viewed on the website and bought on the app. Now the only tickets of this type still able to look up on the website and buy on the app are the North Tyne Saver and Sunderland Saver, both of these being sold in areas with competition. Other tickets such as The Angel Saver, Washington Saver etc are now only able to be bought from the driver and I have searched the website and found no evidence that these tickets are on sale. It is therefore possible that a passenger is buying a more expensive ticket than they need for their journey. Could this lack of information be the reason for the low sales mentioned above? and if so could a drop in sales see more of these better value tickets discontinued?

My Flickr Account - Photos from the North East and Beyond.
Pulsar
04 Jan 2018, 7:27 pm #1,036

I was reading recently on a Facebook post that Go North East have discontinued their Newcastle - Metrocentre day and week tickets following low sales. Firstly I think this is a very poor excuse to discontinue a ticket but it has got me thinking about a wider issue at Go North East.

Up until sometime last year all tickets (route and area savers) could be easily viewed on the website and bought on the app. Now the only tickets of this type still able to look up on the website and buy on the app are the North Tyne Saver and Sunderland Saver, both of these being sold in areas with competition. Other tickets such as The Angel Saver, Washington Saver etc are now only able to be bought from the driver and I have searched the website and found no evidence that these tickets are on sale. It is therefore possible that a passenger is buying a more expensive ticket than they need for their journey. Could this lack of information be the reason for the low sales mentioned above? and if so could a drop in sales see more of these better value tickets discontinued?

My Flickr Account - Photos from the North East and Beyond.

Adrian

04 Jan 2018, 8:33 pm #1,037
(04 Jan 2018, 7:27 pm)Pulsar I was reading recently on a Facebook post that Go North East have discontinued their Newcastle - Metrocentre day and week tickets following low sales. Firstly I think this is a very poor excuse to discontinue a ticket but it has got me thinking about a wider issue at Go North East.

The Washington Day Saver hasn't been listed on the website for months and months now, and I can't see any details of it being promoted anywhere. It is of course still available to purchase from the driver. Given we're in the digital age, you have to wonder why this information isn't readily available online? I do hope it is just an oversight.

In a Facebook post, Laura Pidcock MP had noted a number of her constituents had contacted her regarding the withdrawal of Consett Day Saver from the 2nd January. There are no details of how long that notice had been on tickets though.

Adrian
04 Jan 2018, 8:33 pm #1,037

(04 Jan 2018, 7:27 pm)Pulsar I was reading recently on a Facebook post that Go North East have discontinued their Newcastle - Metrocentre day and week tickets following low sales. Firstly I think this is a very poor excuse to discontinue a ticket but it has got me thinking about a wider issue at Go North East.

The Washington Day Saver hasn't been listed on the website for months and months now, and I can't see any details of it being promoted anywhere. It is of course still available to purchase from the driver. Given we're in the digital age, you have to wonder why this information isn't readily available online? I do hope it is just an oversight.

In a Facebook post, Laura Pidcock MP had noted a number of her constituents had contacted her regarding the withdrawal of Consett Day Saver from the 2nd January. There are no details of how long that notice had been on tickets though.

Andreos1

04 Jan 2018, 9:16 pm #1,038
(04 Jan 2018, 8:33 pm)Adrian The Washington Day Saver hasn't been listed on the website for months and months now, and I can't see any details of it being promoted anywhere. It is of course still available to purchase from the driver. Given we're in the digital age, you have to wonder why this information isn't readily available online? I do hope it is just an oversight.

I don't get it.
Why would a product like that, be 'withdrawn due to poor sales'?
The administrative costs will be negligible.

If the product isnt selling, then find out why it isnt selling.

If passengers are unaware of the product, then make them aware of the product.

Bizarre.

Andreos1
04 Jan 2018, 9:16 pm #1,038

(04 Jan 2018, 8:33 pm)Adrian The Washington Day Saver hasn't been listed on the website for months and months now, and I can't see any details of it being promoted anywhere. It is of course still available to purchase from the driver. Given we're in the digital age, you have to wonder why this information isn't readily available online? I do hope it is just an oversight.

I don't get it.

Bizarre.

04 Jan 2018, 10:05 pm #1,039
(04 Jan 2018, 9:16 pm)Andreos1 I don't get it.

Bizarre.

Yep, they also withdrew the Wear Xpress Saver, and Peterlee Saver too on the same day (might have been more), wasn't too much said about that too.
Edited 04 Jan 2018, 10:05 pm by deanmachine.
deanmachine
04 Jan 2018, 10:05 pm #1,039

(04 Jan 2018, 9:16 pm)Andreos1 I don't get it.

Bizarre.

Yep, they also withdrew the Wear Xpress Saver, and Peterlee Saver too on the same day (might have been more), wasn't too much said about that too.

Andreos1

04 Jan 2018, 10:29 pm #1,040
(04 Jan 2018, 10:05 pm)deanmachine Yep, they also withdrew the Wear Xpress Saver, and Peterlee Saver too on the same day (might have been more), wasn't too much said about that too.

I bet the difference in price is quite significant for some.
Particularly if buying 2/3 times a week.

Just had a neb on the fb page and there is some discussion/unhappy comments about the Consett ticket and Metrocentre ticket.
Someone has asked the question regarding the Xpress ticket, but there hasn't been a response as of yet.

MP's, Councillors and the press involved by the looks of things.

Andreos1
04 Jan 2018, 10:29 pm #1,040

(04 Jan 2018, 10:05 pm)deanmachine Yep, they also withdrew the Wear Xpress Saver, and Peterlee Saver too on the same day (might have been more), wasn't too much said about that too.

I bet the difference in price is quite significant for some.
Particularly if buying 2/3 times a week.

Just had a neb on the fb page and there is some discussion/unhappy comments about the Consett ticket and Metrocentre ticket.
Someone has asked the question regarding the Xpress ticket, but there hasn't been a response as of yet.

MP's, Councillors and the press involved by the looks of things.

Pages (89): Previous 151 52 5389 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average