Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure What if GNE were to start up there own Preservation Trust

What if GNE were to start up there own Preservation Trust

What if GNE were to start up there own Preservation Trust

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (2) 1 2 Next
Malarkey

10 May 2013, 3:07 pm #1
I have a Question - Would anyone like to see GNE start up there own Preservation Trust which obviously includes Preserving Current/Former Buses into their former glory.

Now I have done quite a bit of research over the past few days, also if you have any other ideas, please leave a comment or alternatively send me an email - adammalarkey92@gmail.com - The more information/feedback I have the better and it would be greatly appreciated. So if anyone has any old fleet lists for MCW MetroBuses/ECW Bodied Olympians/Leyland Lynxs/Optare Deltas etc please email me them on the above email address.

So if anyone is interested if could message me your email address i'll happily send you the Word Document with all the information on it as I wouldn't be able to post it on here as it exceeds the Maximum Word Count etc.

I'm still putting it together as I type this message, but i'll send the document over ASAP.
Malarkey
10 May 2013, 3:07 pm #1

I have a Question - Would anyone like to see GNE start up there own Preservation Trust which obviously includes Preserving Current/Former Buses into their former glory.

Now I have done quite a bit of research over the past few days, also if you have any other ideas, please leave a comment or alternatively send me an email - adammalarkey92@gmail.com - The more information/feedback I have the better and it would be greatly appreciated. So if anyone has any old fleet lists for MCW MetroBuses/ECW Bodied Olympians/Leyland Lynxs/Optare Deltas etc please email me them on the above email address.

So if anyone is interested if could message me your email address i'll happily send you the Word Document with all the information on it as I wouldn't be able to post it on here as it exceeds the Maximum Word Count etc.

I'm still putting it together as I type this message, but i'll send the document over ASAP.

Andreos1

10 May 2013, 3:24 pm #2
Can you not convert the word doc to a pdf and upload it?

As for fleet lists, there are some in the Bygone Era and a link to the GNE website from one of the other Adams in the discussion about prices.

Edit: Classic had some original 1980s Olympians a few years back, Weardale had a couple of the Metrobuses and the only place I ever saw the Lynxes were in Bakewell, Derbyshire. I cant remember the bus company website, but it didnt take a lot of digging to find it a few weeks back - the website has a list of all old and current stock, including details of the Lynxes.
Tynedale and Kingsleys had Lances, Deltas etc Not sure who had what.
Edited 10 May 2013, 3:29 pm by Andreos1.
Andreos1
10 May 2013, 3:24 pm #2

As for fleet lists, there are some in the Bygone Era and a link to the GNE website from one of the other Adams in the discussion about prices.

Edit: Classic had some original 1980s Olympians a few years back, Weardale had a couple of the Metrobuses and the only place I ever saw the Lynxes were in Bakewell, Derbyshire. I cant remember the bus company website, but it didnt take a lot of digging to find it a few weeks back - the website has a list of all old and current stock, including details of the Lynxes.
Tynedale and Kingsleys had Lances, Deltas etc Not sure who had what.

Malarkey

10 May 2013, 3:32 pm #3
[quote='Andreos1' pid='4393' dateline='1368199486']

Cheers for Andreos1, Sorted it after finding where I needed to be, it's now in PDF Form
Edited 10 May 2013, 3:41 pm by Malarkey.
Malarkey
10 May 2013, 3:32 pm #3

[quote='Andreos1' pid='4393' dateline='1368199486']

Cheers for Andreos1, Sorted it after finding where I needed to be, it's now in PDF Form

Andreos1

10 May 2013, 3:42 pm #4
www.derbybusdepot.co.uk/hulleys.html

Edit: Forgot about this site: www.buslistsontheweb.co.uk/

By having vehicle details, it may narrow things down a bit
Edited 10 May 2013, 4:06 pm by Andreos1.
Andreos1
10 May 2013, 3:42 pm #4

www.derbybusdepot.co.uk/hulleys.html

Edit: Forgot about this site: www.buslistsontheweb.co.uk/

By having vehicle details, it may narrow things down a bit

Adrian

10 May 2013, 7:39 pm #5
Nice document Adam. I think it could perhaps become more of a reality now that the new Dunston depot is underway. I'd suggest writing directly to Kevin Carr with something like that, see what sort of response you get back?

Nice bus list too. I'm hoping to get a photo of the couple of the ex-GNE Optare Excels that Blackpool Transport have, as I'm heading down that way for a couple of days in August.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
10 May 2013, 7:39 pm #5

Nice document Adam. I think it could perhaps become more of a reality now that the new Dunston depot is underway. I'd suggest writing directly to Kevin Carr with something like that, see what sort of response you get back?

Nice bus list too. I'm hoping to get a photo of the couple of the ex-GNE Optare Excels that Blackpool Transport have, as I'm heading down that way for a couple of days in August.

Malarkey

10 May 2013, 10:12 pm #6
(10 May 2013, 7:39 pm)aureolin Nice document Adam. I think it could perhaps become more of a reality now that the new Dunston depot is underway. I'd suggest writing directly to Kevin Carr with something like that, see what sort of response you get back?

Thanks Aureolin, I also proposed this on Bazza Houstons Facebook and got a rather Negative Response and only 2 positive Responces in which they also said it was a good document I had put together, now I just needs to expand on it with the feedback I have recieved so far.

Do you have any contact details for Kevin Carr.
Malarkey
10 May 2013, 10:12 pm #6

(10 May 2013, 7:39 pm)aureolin Nice document Adam. I think it could perhaps become more of a reality now that the new Dunston depot is underway. I'd suggest writing directly to Kevin Carr with something like that, see what sort of response you get back?

Thanks Aureolin, I also proposed this on Bazza Houstons Facebook and got a rather Negative Response and only 2 positive Responces in which they also said it was a good document I had put together, now I just needs to expand on it with the feedback I have recieved so far.

Do you have any contact details for Kevin Carr.

Adrian

10 May 2013, 10:22 pm #7
Just send it to the GNE freepost address, but put something like 'Managing Director' instead of 'Customer Services' on the first line.

Adrian
10 May 2013, 10:22 pm #7

Just send it to the GNE freepost address, but put something like 'Managing Director' instead of 'Customer Services' on the first line.

Malarkey

10 May 2013, 11:01 pm #8
(10 May 2013, 10:22 pm)aureolin Just send it to the GNE freepost address, but put something like 'Managing Director' instead of 'Customer Services' on the first line.

Ok will do, I'm going to add more information make it look more professional and print it out on photo paper to also make it and the photos I use look more professional.

And Obviously add more Information to the Lothian Example, Much more on Costings etc and find more Former GNE Buses.
Malarkey
10 May 2013, 11:01 pm #8

(10 May 2013, 10:22 pm)aureolin Just send it to the GNE freepost address, but put something like 'Managing Director' instead of 'Customer Services' on the first line.

Ok will do, I'm going to add more information make it look more professional and print it out on photo paper to also make it and the photos I use look more professional.

And Obviously add more Information to the Lothian Example, Much more on Costings etc and find more Former GNE Buses.

Venturego

12 May 2013, 4:44 pm #9
(10 May 2013, 11:01 pm)Adam Malarkey

Maybe include AEC, Leyland Tiger from late 1950's to early 1960's and very Rare Daimler Fleetline Single Decker with Alexander bodywork eg KCN 20J - one of the first dual door models introduced into the Northern General Fleet http://www.flickr.com/photos/23207961@N0...otostream/ - Some were branded as Sunderland District Omnibus (SDO) a subsidiary of Northern General (This model preceeded the plain Willowbrook body: http://www.flickr.com/photos/23207961@N0...14819@N23/, and came after the Leyland Panther T421 (example http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarquinius_...528677757/)
Venturego
12 May 2013, 4:44 pm #9

Maybe include AEC, Leyland Tiger from late 1950's to early 1960's and very Rare Daimler Fleetline Single Decker with Alexander bodywork eg KCN 20J - one of the first dual door models introduced into the Northern General Fleet http://www.flickr.com/photos/23207961@N0...otostream/ - Some were branded as Sunderland District Omnibus (SDO) a subsidiary of Northern General (This model preceeded the plain Willowbrook body: http://www.flickr.com/photos/23207961@N0...14819@N23/, and came after the Leyland Panther T421 (example http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarquinius_...528677757/)

Malarkey

12 May 2013, 5:27 pm #10
(12 May 2013, 4:44 pm)Venturego

I think they'd be rather expensive to Preserve, so I would GNE maybe unwilling to go that far back, I've found a MCW MetroBus which is Available for £2,500. Reg is A620 BCN but I have no idea if it had different reg plate beforehand when with GNE as I can't any previous photos with GNE - Photo -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/j-s-p/8710264778/
Malarkey
12 May 2013, 5:27 pm #10

(12 May 2013, 4:44 pm)Venturego

I think they'd be rather expensive to Preserve, so I would GNE maybe unwilling to go that far back, I've found a MCW MetroBus which is Available for £2,500. Reg is A620 BCN but I have no idea if it had different reg plate beforehand when with GNE as I can't any previous photos with GNE - Photo -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/j-s-p/8710264778/

Andreos1

12 May 2013, 6:05 pm #11
Pretty sure Axxx BCN were Northern buses.
Check out that bus lists website I told you about the other day, it will be on there.
Andreos1
12 May 2013, 6:05 pm #11

Pretty sure Axxx BCN were Northern buses.
Check out that bus lists website I told you about the other day, it will be on there.

Malarkey

12 May 2013, 7:41 pm #12
That site is excellent, typed the reg in and found it straight away.

Fleet Number 3620
Reg A620 BCN
Photo of it in Former Northern Livery.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16314639@N02/6871301461/
Malarkey
12 May 2013, 7:41 pm #12

That site is excellent, typed the reg in and found it straight away.

Fleet Number 3620
Reg A620 BCN
Photo of it in Former Northern Livery.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16314639@N02/6871301461/

Malarkey

12 May 2013, 11:20 pm #13
A few days ago I proposed the Idea of what if GNE were to have there own preservation trust, too which some disagreed. I also uploaded a demo document, now after gathering alot of Information to which I thank those who helped, I now have an updated document for you guys to look at. Any Feedback/Tweaks or any other Ideas I could add would be appreciated.
Malarkey
12 May 2013, 11:20 pm #13

A few days ago I proposed the Idea of what if GNE were to have there own preservation trust, too which some disagreed. I also uploaded a demo document, now after gathering alot of Information to which I thank those who helped, I now have an updated document for you guys to look at. Any Feedback/Tweaks or any other Ideas I could add would be appreciated.

gtom

Banned

13 May 2013, 11:44 am #14
(12 May 2013, 11:20 pm)Adam Malarkey A few days ago I proposed the Idea of what if GNE were to have there own preservation trust, too which some disagreed. I also uploaded a demo document, now after gathering alot of Information to which I thank those who helped, I now have an updated document for you guys to look at. Any Feedback/Tweaks or any other Ideas I could add would be appreciated.

I like the idea of a preservation trust but I don't see GNE going for it. With Lothian being in public hands its remit is far different from that of GNE; added to the fact it makes a lot more money than GNE does as a unit.

I further think GNE would find it difficult to justify a £5,000 spend to please a few enthusiasts, as harsh as that sounds, and I don't think the public would react well. The DAF's, Solo's and Metrobuses are not the iconic buses that people will relate to outside of the enthusiast community. They aren't a routemaster, they have little endearing public quality. They aren't 'classic'

I just feel GNE won't be invested in this, they are a forward thinking company obsessed with branding and image, going back with repaints etc isn't going to happen

I think an approach of continued sponsoring of 'classic' vehicles at Beamish is more likely to be there preferred preservation method.

I don't mean to be dismissive as its a lovely idea but thats it
gtom
13 May 2013, 11:44 am #14

(12 May 2013, 11:20 pm)Adam Malarkey A few days ago I proposed the Idea of what if GNE were to have there own preservation trust, too which some disagreed. I also uploaded a demo document, now after gathering alot of Information to which I thank those who helped, I now have an updated document for you guys to look at. Any Feedback/Tweaks or any other Ideas I could add would be appreciated.

I like the idea of a preservation trust but I don't see GNE going for it. With Lothian being in public hands its remit is far different from that of GNE; added to the fact it makes a lot more money than GNE does as a unit.

I further think GNE would find it difficult to justify a £5,000 spend to please a few enthusiasts, as harsh as that sounds, and I don't think the public would react well. The DAF's, Solo's and Metrobuses are not the iconic buses that people will relate to outside of the enthusiast community. They aren't a routemaster, they have little endearing public quality. They aren't 'classic'

I just feel GNE won't be invested in this, they are a forward thinking company obsessed with branding and image, going back with repaints etc isn't going to happen

I think an approach of continued sponsoring of 'classic' vehicles at Beamish is more likely to be there preferred preservation method.

I don't mean to be dismissive as its a lovely idea but thats it

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

13 May 2013, 1:28 pm #15
Would it be more appealing to GNE if, say, an enthusiast or enthuiast group get a bus to preserve, and bring GNE in to give som space at one of there depot to store a potential preservation project
MrFozz
13 May 2013, 1:28 pm #15

Would it be more appealing to GNE if, say, an enthusiast or enthuiast group get a bus to preserve, and bring GNE in to give som space at one of there depot to store a potential preservation project

Andreos1

13 May 2013, 2:09 pm #16
Personally, if they were to go-ahead with this, it would make sense if they had started it a year or two back, so that the vehicles could have been presented as part of the 100year celebrations.
That isnt to say they still cant do something with the vehicles though and do some sort of project.

However, I think they should choose a range of stuff going back over a period of time, rather than sticking anything that is too recent.
A photo used to cover the timetables in the mid-80s. Taken outside Gateshead Metro, it showed a huge chunk of the fleet inc ECW Olympians, Nationals, Metrobuses and Atlanteans. Those and some of the more recent disposals (maybe staying away from the Darts, especially Marshall Darts, Marshall Capitals, Plaxton Darts and Carlyle Darts as well as the Wright Handybus) - is it just me who dislikes them?
I cant see anything much older from the early seventies or beyond still surviving if it hasnt been worked on and restored already.

Imagine if they had sorted a load of old vehicles and put them in service as part of the celebrations? An Olympian plying the Coast Road towards North Shields, an Atlantean roaring up Old Durham Road, a VR working from Shields towards Chester, a Metrobus slinking through Low Fell towards Durham, a National ploughing through Washington or a Delta winding its way through Springwell Estate?
Andreos1
13 May 2013, 2:09 pm #16

Personally, if they were to go-ahead with this, it would make sense if they had started it a year or two back, so that the vehicles could have been presented as part of the 100year celebrations.
That isnt to say they still cant do something with the vehicles though and do some sort of project.

However, I think they should choose a range of stuff going back over a period of time, rather than sticking anything that is too recent.
A photo used to cover the timetables in the mid-80s. Taken outside Gateshead Metro, it showed a huge chunk of the fleet inc ECW Olympians, Nationals, Metrobuses and Atlanteans. Those and some of the more recent disposals (maybe staying away from the Darts, especially Marshall Darts, Marshall Capitals, Plaxton Darts and Carlyle Darts as well as the Wright Handybus) - is it just me who dislikes them?
I cant see anything much older from the early seventies or beyond still surviving if it hasnt been worked on and restored already.

Imagine if they had sorted a load of old vehicles and put them in service as part of the celebrations? An Olympian plying the Coast Road towards North Shields, an Atlantean roaring up Old Durham Road, a VR working from Shields towards Chester, a Metrobus slinking through Low Fell towards Durham, a National ploughing through Washington or a Delta winding its way through Springwell Estate?

gtom

Banned

13 May 2013, 4:18 pm #17
(13 May 2013, 1:28 pm)fozzovmurton Would it be more appealing to GNE if, say, an enthusiast or enthuiast group get a bus to preserve, and bring GNE in to give som space at one of there depot to store a potential preservation project

I think that's the most likely but of course thats going to be difficult in terms of health and safety, supervisory staffing etc etc

I think GNE should be pushed towards having some impact or even a display in the new 50s/60s area in Beamish. Ties in nicely with the brand and their corporate partnership with Beamish and with around 500,000 going there each year it allows them to build a local relationship
gtom
13 May 2013, 4:18 pm #17

(13 May 2013, 1:28 pm)fozzovmurton Would it be more appealing to GNE if, say, an enthusiast or enthuiast group get a bus to preserve, and bring GNE in to give som space at one of there depot to store a potential preservation project

I think that's the most likely but of course thats going to be difficult in terms of health and safety, supervisory staffing etc etc

I think GNE should be pushed towards having some impact or even a display in the new 50s/60s area in Beamish. Ties in nicely with the brand and their corporate partnership with Beamish and with around 500,000 going there each year it allows them to build a local relationship

Malarkey

13 May 2013, 5:05 pm #18
I was going to put in a bit about the 100years Celebration, see I think if they were to preserve the Metrobus I have shown and few others, Then the perfect time to unveil this to the Public would be when the new depot opens. It would nice to see, I quite like the Beamish Idea.

I think overall what i've come up with works and ties in well with the Heritage of GNE over the past 100years. It's much better than 5p journey on the 21 or a Childrens Book.

I've displayed how they could make money to then be able to Run the trust, i.e. through a Membership Scheme etc.

I can't really think of much more to add to it tbh.
Malarkey
13 May 2013, 5:05 pm #18

I was going to put in a bit about the 100years Celebration, see I think if they were to preserve the Metrobus I have shown and few others, Then the perfect time to unveil this to the Public would be when the new depot opens. It would nice to see, I quite like the Beamish Idea.

I think overall what i've come up with works and ties in well with the Heritage of GNE over the past 100years. It's much better than 5p journey on the 21 or a Childrens Book.

I've displayed how they could make money to then be able to Run the trust, i.e. through a Membership Scheme etc.

gtom

Banned

13 May 2013, 7:04 pm #19
(13 May 2013, 5:05 pm)Adam Malarkey I was going to put in a bit about the 100years Celebration, see I think if they were to preserve the Metrobus I have shown and few others, Then the perfect time to unveil this to the Public would be when the new depot opens. It would nice to see, I quite like the Beamish Idea.

The only thing I'd add about Beamish is that the more specific interest areas are run by volunteers as opposed to staff , so 'members' could work the room at Beamish or be conductors/guides to any Go Ahead exhibition (Northern General I'd imagine would be the forefront of it)

I know Go Ahead are already planning a Beamish based event so perhaps I'm in tune with their thinking (or way off!) but the one thing I'll say that is in the Beamish favour is it's permanent and its a place where everyone can get access to and see the buses/exhibition
gtom
13 May 2013, 7:04 pm #19

(13 May 2013, 5:05 pm)Adam Malarkey I was going to put in a bit about the 100years Celebration, see I think if they were to preserve the Metrobus I have shown and few others, Then the perfect time to unveil this to the Public would be when the new depot opens. It would nice to see, I quite like the Beamish Idea.

The only thing I'd add about Beamish is that the more specific interest areas are run by volunteers as opposed to staff , so 'members' could work the room at Beamish or be conductors/guides to any Go Ahead exhibition (Northern General I'd imagine would be the forefront of it)

I know Go Ahead are already planning a Beamish based event so perhaps I'm in tune with their thinking (or way off!) but the one thing I'll say that is in the Beamish favour is it's permanent and its a place where everyone can get access to and see the buses/exhibition

Rob

06 Dec 2013, 1:20 pm #20
(06 Dec 2013, 11:32 am)BusFanPrudhoe Go North East have had a history of operating unusual buses, even recently with the Designlines once operated on the Quaylink services. It would be nice to see some sort of permanent exibition of their history. I find the North East has few transport museums, so it would be good to see Go North East open their own museum. (maybe in the Winlaton Depot when the move to the new Gateshead super depot.

The Designlines were not operated by Go North East, they were operated by Stagecoach Newcastle.

Why would Winlaton depot being held onto, with the expense attached to maintaining and operating the facility?

Also, who benefits from preservation of older vehicles? Is is the majority of passengers who use services, or is it the small number of enthusiasts who will want to rejoice over the good ol' days?
Rob
06 Dec 2013, 1:20 pm #20

(06 Dec 2013, 11:32 am)BusFanPrudhoe Go North East have had a history of operating unusual buses, even recently with the Designlines once operated on the Quaylink services. It would be nice to see some sort of permanent exibition of their history. I find the North East has few transport museums, so it would be good to see Go North East open their own museum. (maybe in the Winlaton Depot when the move to the new Gateshead super depot.

The Designlines were not operated by Go North East, they were operated by Stagecoach Newcastle.

Why would Winlaton depot being held onto, with the expense attached to maintaining and operating the facility?

Also, who benefits from preservation of older vehicles? Is is the majority of passengers who use services, or is it the small number of enthusiasts who will want to rejoice over the good ol' days?

Pages (2) 1 2 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average