Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Sunderland Holmeside Works

Sunderland Holmeside Works

Sunderland Holmeside Works

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3) 1 2 3 Next
Unber43

18 Oct 2022, 9:31 pm #1
The Road will be closed for 40 weeks, starting from 31st October 2022. 

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/business/...ht-3612185
Unber43
18 Oct 2022, 9:31 pm #1

The Road will be closed for 40 weeks, starting from 31st October 2022. 

19 Oct 2022, 7:35 am #2
(18 Oct 2022, 9:31 pm)Unber43 The Road will be closed for 40 weeks, starting from 31st October 2022. 

Changing the flow priority means most people will only see Holmeside on their way out of town. Thats the only positive  Big Grin
54APhotography
19 Oct 2022, 7:35 am #2

(18 Oct 2022, 9:31 pm)Unber43 The Road will be closed for 40 weeks, starting from 31st October 2022. 

Changing the flow priority means most people will only see Holmeside on their way out of town. Thats the only positive  Big Grin

F114TML

19 Oct 2022, 10:47 am #3
Am I right in thinking this'll basically be how it was before Park Lane was pedestrianised and the bridges extended, albeit further north?
F114TML
19 Oct 2022, 10:47 am #3

Am I right in thinking this'll basically be how it was before Park Lane was pedestrianised and the bridges extended, albeit further north?

Andreos1

19 Oct 2022, 11:00 am #4
(19 Oct 2022, 10:47 am)F114TML Am I right in thinking this'll basically be how it was before Park Lane was pedestrianised and the bridges extended, albeit further north?

Not sure. 

Park Lane was two way. The full length.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
19 Oct 2022, 11:00 am #4

(19 Oct 2022, 10:47 am)F114TML Am I right in thinking this'll basically be how it was before Park Lane was pedestrianised and the bridges extended, albeit further north?

Not sure. 

Park Lane was two way. The full length.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

19 Oct 2022, 11:10 am #5
The plan is to arrive on Vine Place, then inbound turns left into Maritime Street, crossing Blandford Street (in the gap vacated by the Peacock's fire), and onto Brougham Street. Then past the new station frontage on Waterloo Street, then left onto Fawcett Street, or straight ahead onto Athenium Street and right onto John Street. Traffic out of town will run via Holmeside which will be westbound buses only as far as the Maritime Street junction.
54APhotography
19 Oct 2022, 11:10 am #5

The plan is to arrive on Vine Place, then inbound turns left into Maritime Street, crossing Blandford Street (in the gap vacated by the Peacock's fire), and onto Brougham Street. Then past the new station frontage on Waterloo Street, then left onto Fawcett Street, or straight ahead onto Athenium Street and right onto John Street. Traffic out of town will run via Holmeside which will be westbound buses only as far as the Maritime Street junction.

19 Oct 2022, 2:38 pm #6
My favourite thing about the sign is that it says for "bus rationalisation" and I can't see any rational logic behind it. Harder for passengers alighting, and makes Park Lane more useless as buses will have to double back on themselves if they're heading North from the horse shoe side. They could have made it better for buses by merely enforcing the current bus lane, which nobody ever pays attention to because they know Sunderland Council don't care.

(19 Oct 2022, 11:10 am)54APhotography The plan is to arrive on Vine Place, then inbound turns left into Maritime Street, crossing Blandford Street (in the gap vacated by the Peacock's fire), and onto Brougham Street. Then past the new station frontage on Waterloo Street, then left onto Fawcett Street, or straight ahead onto Athenium Street and right onto John Street. Traffic out of town will run via Holmeside which will be westbound buses only as far as the Maritime Street junction.

That's not what the art work depicts? Vine Place is westbound only.
Edited 19 Oct 2022, 2:41 pm by deanmachine.
deanmachine
19 Oct 2022, 2:38 pm #6

My favourite thing about the sign is that it says for "bus rationalisation" and I can't see any rational logic behind it. Harder for passengers alighting, and makes Park Lane more useless as buses will have to double back on themselves if they're heading North from the horse shoe side. They could have made it better for buses by merely enforcing the current bus lane, which nobody ever pays attention to because they know Sunderland Council don't care.

(19 Oct 2022, 11:10 am)54APhotography The plan is to arrive on Vine Place, then inbound turns left into Maritime Street, crossing Blandford Street (in the gap vacated by the Peacock's fire), and onto Brougham Street. Then past the new station frontage on Waterloo Street, then left onto Fawcett Street, or straight ahead onto Athenium Street and right onto John Street. Traffic out of town will run via Holmeside which will be westbound buses only as far as the Maritime Street junction.

That's not what the art work depicts? Vine Place is westbound only.

19 Oct 2022, 2:45 pm #7
(19 Oct 2022, 2:38 pm)deanmachine My favourite thing about the sign is that it says for "bus rationalisation" and I can't see any rational logic behind it. Harder for passengers alighting, and makes Park Lane more useless as buses will have to double back on themselves if they're heading North from the horse shoe side. They could have made it better for buses by merely enforcing the current bus lane, which nobody ever pays attention to because they know Sunderland Council don't care.

That's not what the art work depicts? Vine Place is Westbound only.
If Vine Place has been changed then there is no bus loop. it is impossible. The route I repeated is that which the council put in the Echo some time ago. If Holmeside is westbound and Vine place the only alternative is that which they effected during lockdown, sending everything via Stockton Road, Park Road and Burdon Road. Which is even further away from their town plan which is centrered on High Street West.
54APhotography
19 Oct 2022, 2:45 pm #7

(19 Oct 2022, 2:38 pm)deanmachine My favourite thing about the sign is that it says for "bus rationalisation" and I can't see any rational logic behind it. Harder for passengers alighting, and makes Park Lane more useless as buses will have to double back on themselves if they're heading North from the horse shoe side. They could have made it better for buses by merely enforcing the current bus lane, which nobody ever pays attention to because they know Sunderland Council don't care.

That's not what the art work depicts? Vine Place is Westbound only.
If Vine Place has been changed then there is no bus loop. it is impossible. The route I repeated is that which the council put in the Echo some time ago. If Holmeside is westbound and Vine place the only alternative is that which they effected during lockdown, sending everything via Stockton Road, Park Road and Burdon Road. Which is even further away from their town plan which is centrered on High Street West.

Unber43

19 Oct 2022, 4:42 pm #8
If the whole road is closed where are SC going to go. 

Its just a nightmare as a user said all the buses will have to double back to reach Park Lane.
Unber43
19 Oct 2022, 4:42 pm #8

If the whole road is closed where are SC going to go. 

Its just a nightmare as a user said all the buses will have to double back to reach Park Lane.

Michael

19 Oct 2022, 5:08 pm #9
(19 Oct 2022, 4:42 pm)Unber43 If the whole road is closed where are SC going to go. 

Coming in to the town is going to via the Winter Gardens.

Out via the current way.

That's once work is complete.

----

Probs go via the winter gardens both ways, when the road closes for the work

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
19 Oct 2022, 5:08 pm #9

(19 Oct 2022, 4:42 pm)Unber43 If the whole road is closed where are SC going to go. 

Coming in to the town is going to via the Winter Gardens.

Out via the current way.

That's once work is complete.

----

Probs go via the winter gardens both ways, when the road closes for the work

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Unber43

19 Oct 2022, 5:11 pm #10
Wonder if this might push the 2/2A & 39/39A/39B to use Park Lane.

(19 Oct 2022, 5:08 pm)Michael Probs go via the winter gardens both ways, when the road closes for the work
I suppose going Via St Mary's is a viable option for services such as the X1, 24,56 which terminate/go through in Park Lane& 33 (terminating in John Street)
Edited 19 Oct 2022, 5:13 pm by Unber43.
Unber43
19 Oct 2022, 5:11 pm #10

Wonder if this might push the 2/2A & 39/39A/39B to use Park Lane.

(19 Oct 2022, 5:08 pm)Michael Probs go via the winter gardens both ways, when the road closes for the work
I suppose going Via St Mary's is a viable option for services such as the X1, 24,56 which terminate/go through in Park Lane& 33 (terminating in John Street)

21 Oct 2022, 2:16 pm #11
Would somebody mind drawing up a quick sketch of the one way system as I'm having a hard time picturing it.
Thanks ?
logidoodah
21 Oct 2022, 2:16 pm #11

Would somebody mind drawing up a quick sketch of the one way system as I'm having a hard time picturing it.
Thanks ?

cbma06

21 Oct 2022, 4:01 pm #12
(21 Oct 2022, 2:16 pm)logidoodah Would somebody mind drawing up a quick sketch of the one way system as I'm having a hard time picturing it.
Thanks ?

This might help

https://www.sunderland.gov.uk/article/20...ent-prompt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
21 Oct 2022, 4:01 pm #12

(21 Oct 2022, 2:16 pm)logidoodah Would somebody mind drawing up a quick sketch of the one way system as I'm having a hard time picturing it.
Thanks ?

This might help

https://www.sunderland.gov.uk/article/20...ent-prompt

21 Oct 2022, 9:32 pm #13
Thanks ?

Bus wise, it's literally just what they did during the Covid one way system, with all buses going westbound only. Cars can go down as far as the entrance to the old market place where they can turn right down to where the old Central Bus Station was through where Peacocks burnt down.

Still have no idea how this is seen as "bus rationalisation" in the slightest. That would easily be achieved by just enforcement of the current bus lanes along there.
deanmachine
21 Oct 2022, 9:32 pm #13

Thanks ?

Bus wise, it's literally just what they did during the Covid one way system, with all buses going westbound only. Cars can go down as far as the entrance to the old market place where they can turn right down to where the old Central Bus Station was through where Peacocks burnt down.

Still have no idea how this is seen as "bus rationalisation" in the slightest. That would easily be achieved by just enforcement of the current bus lanes along there.

F114TML

22 Oct 2022, 9:06 am #14
So our buses going west/northbound will have to go via the Civic Centre?

They could probably make a fortune by putting up a camera and fining non-buses in the bus lane, and parking on the double yellows, also would be helpful if the traffic light crossings weren't so shite. Same with the bus lane on Dundas street - cars and vans constantly ignore it and then proceed to ignore the 'no right turn' signs.
F114TML
22 Oct 2022, 9:06 am #14

So our buses going west/northbound will have to go via the Civic Centre?

They could probably make a fortune by putting up a camera and fining non-buses in the bus lane, and parking on the double yellows, also would be helpful if the traffic light crossings weren't so shite. Same with the bus lane on Dundas street - cars and vans constantly ignore it and then proceed to ignore the 'no right turn' signs.

Unber43

22 Oct 2022, 9:10 am #15
(22 Oct 2022, 9:06 am)F114TML So our buses going west/northbound will have to go via the Civic Centre?

They must be making a fortune in the bus lane between Gateshead Interchange & Tyne Bridge. 

Tbf with the councils plans it looks like there would be parking spaces for cars, but where are on earth are they going to turn around on a one way road.
Unber43
22 Oct 2022, 9:10 am #15

(22 Oct 2022, 9:06 am)F114TML So our buses going west/northbound will have to go via the Civic Centre?

They must be making a fortune in the bus lane between Gateshead Interchange & Tyne Bridge. 

Tbf with the councils plans it looks like there would be parking spaces for cars, but where are on earth are they going to turn around on a one way road.

Rob44

22 Oct 2022, 9:40 am #16
(22 Oct 2022, 9:10 am)Unber43 They must be making a fortune in the bus lane between Gateshead Interchange & Tyne Bridge. 

to be fair and unauthorized vehicle the ventures through that bus lane - the drive should be done for driving without due care and attention!!!  There more signs than ever now!

Also there is a massive bus on the bit opposite the garage just before the lights. suprised they havent been re-routed
Rob44
22 Oct 2022, 9:40 am #16

(22 Oct 2022, 9:10 am)Unber43 They must be making a fortune in the bus lane between Gateshead Interchange & Tyne Bridge. 

to be fair and unauthorized vehicle the ventures through that bus lane - the drive should be done for driving without due care and attention!!!  There more signs than ever now!

Also there is a massive bus on the bit opposite the garage just before the lights. suprised they havent been re-routed

22 Oct 2022, 9:47 am #17
(22 Oct 2022, 9:40 am)Rob44 to be fair and unauthorized vehicle the ventures through that bus lane - the drive should be done for driving without due care and attention!!!  There more signs than ever now!

Would you say the signage is Better Than Ever!?
streetdeckfan
22 Oct 2022, 9:47 am #17

(22 Oct 2022, 9:40 am)Rob44 to be fair and unauthorized vehicle the ventures through that bus lane - the drive should be done for driving without due care and attention!!!  There more signs than ever now!

Would you say the signage is Better Than Ever!?

cbma06

22 Oct 2022, 9:58 am #18

Cars will go up holmside then turn right onto Maritime Street through the old peacocks and then turn right on to Brougham street then right again onto Waterloo place then left onto holmside.

cbma06
22 Oct 2022, 9:58 am #18

Cars will go up holmside then turn right onto Maritime Street through the old peacocks and then turn right on to Brougham street then right again onto Waterloo place then left onto holmside.

Rob44

22 Oct 2022, 10:08 am #19
(22 Oct 2022, 9:47 am)streetdeckfan Would you say the signage is Better Than Ever!?

Wink
Rob44
22 Oct 2022, 10:08 am #19

(22 Oct 2022, 9:47 am)streetdeckfan Would you say the signage is Better Than Ever!?

Wink

22 Oct 2022, 1:15 pm #20
Wonder how long it is after this is complete that Vine Place it is returned to 2 way traffic. This plan doesn't seem logical or bus friendly for people who live in the South estates, who in my experience generally get off in Vine Place. When Homeside was closed due to covid/social distancing I started walking to town rather than get the bus as I didn't want to be dropped off on Stockton road and have trek back into town. Surely things could just be left the way they are now but installing bus lane cameras instead?
Dans_bus_photos
22 Oct 2022, 1:15 pm #20

Wonder how long it is after this is complete that Vine Place it is returned to 2 way traffic. This plan doesn't seem logical or bus friendly for people who live in the South estates, who in my experience generally get off in Vine Place. When Homeside was closed due to covid/social distancing I started walking to town rather than get the bus as I didn't want to be dropped off on Stockton road and have trek back into town. Surely things could just be left the way they are now but installing bus lane cameras instead?

Pages (3) 1 2 3 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average