Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Landmark Levelling Up Fund

Landmark Levelling Up Fund

Landmark Levelling Up Fund

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (6) Previous 14 5 6 Next
Kuyoyo

01 Feb 2023, 3:05 pm #81
(01 Feb 2023, 11:58 am)Michael Stagecoach set to expand autonomous vehicle trials more widely with government funding announced for new projects

https://m.stagecoachgroup.com/media/news...02-01.aspx

While it only mentions the start of the trial within Sunderland, it does confirm the ongoing trial in Scotland should begin its in-service phrase in the spring - with an additional E100AEV on order to join the 5 E200MMCAVs (built in 2019 but as yet never seen a fare-paying passenger) for the extension of the trial route to Dunfermline Bus Station from Ferrytoll Park and Ride site (presently the trial runs between Ferrytoll and Edinburgh Park Railway Station). I wouldn't be at all surprised if the vehicles for Sunderland aren't also E100AEVs.
Kuyoyo
01 Feb 2023, 3:05 pm #81

(01 Feb 2023, 11:58 am)Michael Stagecoach set to expand autonomous vehicle trials more widely with government funding announced for new projects

While it only mentions the start of the trial within Sunderland, it does confirm the ongoing trial in Scotland should begin its in-service phrase in the spring - with an additional E100AEV on order to join the 5 E200MMCAVs (built in 2019 but as yet never seen a fare-paying passenger) for the extension of the trial route to Dunfermline Bus Station from Ferrytoll Park and Ride site (presently the trial runs between Ferrytoll and Edinburgh Park Railway Station). I wouldn't be at all surprised if the vehicles for Sunderland aren't also E100AEVs.

F114TML

01 Feb 2023, 4:20 pm #82
They've sent a memo out to staff along with concept art for the vehicles and my reaction was "what the flying tits is that?" It looks like one of the Transformers had sex with a tram car mid transformation.

Anyway, it's led by the council, is just park lane to the hospital (so I think therefore the 700s are safe), and it's 6 passengers per vehicle. Stagecoach will be providing the 'drivers'.
F114TML
01 Feb 2023, 4:20 pm #82

They've sent a memo out to staff along with concept art for the vehicles and my reaction was "what the flying tits is that?" It looks like one of the Transformers had sex with a tram car mid transformation.

Anyway, it's led by the council, is just park lane to the hospital (so I think therefore the 700s are safe), and it's 6 passengers per vehicle. Stagecoach will be providing the 'drivers'.

BusLoverMum

01 Feb 2023, 5:59 pm #83
The autonomous buses that were being used at the Intertraffic expo that Husband attended last year were along these lines - fairly small shuttles.
BusLoverMum
01 Feb 2023, 5:59 pm #83

The autonomous buses that were being used at the Intertraffic expo that Husband attended last year were along these lines - fairly small shuttles.

Michael

01 Feb 2023, 7:29 pm #84
Wonder when they'll arrive? Looking forward to see how these do.

(01 Feb 2023, 4:20 pm)F114TML They've sent a memo out to staff along with concept art for the vehicles and my reaction was "what the flying tits is that?" It looks like one of the Transformers had sex with a tram car mid transformation.

What is the point in that? it just seems like a massive waste.
Edited 01 Feb 2023, 7:29 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
01 Feb 2023, 7:29 pm #84

Wonder when they'll arrive? Looking forward to see how these do.

(01 Feb 2023, 4:20 pm)F114TML They've sent a memo out to staff along with concept art for the vehicles and my reaction was "what the flying tits is that?" It looks like one of the Transformers had sex with a tram car mid transformation.

What is the point in that? it just seems like a massive waste.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

F114TML

01 Feb 2023, 8:13 pm #85
(01 Feb 2023, 7:29 pm)Michael What is the point in that? it just seems like a massive waste.
To trial the technology and to judge what people make of it, apparently.
F114TML
01 Feb 2023, 8:13 pm #85

(01 Feb 2023, 7:29 pm)Michael What is the point in that? it just seems like a massive waste.
To trial the technology and to judge what people make of it, apparently.

01 Feb 2023, 8:18 pm #86
Sunderland apparently getting three Aurrigo Auto-Shuttle 10 seaters (B10C)

(01 Feb 2023, 3:05 pm)Kuyoyo While it only mentions the start of the trial within Sunderland, it does confirm the ongoing trial in Scotland should begin its in-service phrase in the spring - with an additional E100AEV on order to join the 5 E200MMCAVs (built in 2019 but as yet never seen a fare-paying passenger) for the extension of the trial route to Dunfermline Bus Station from Ferrytoll Park and Ride site (presently the trial runs between Ferrytoll and Edinburgh Park Railway Station). I wouldn't be at all surprised if the vehicles for Sunderland aren't also E100AEVs.
stagecoachfan
01 Feb 2023, 8:18 pm #86

Sunderland apparently getting three Aurrigo Auto-Shuttle 10 seaters (B10C)

(01 Feb 2023, 3:05 pm)Kuyoyo While it only mentions the start of the trial within Sunderland, it does confirm the ongoing trial in Scotland should begin its in-service phrase in the spring - with an additional E100AEV on order to join the 5 E200MMCAVs (built in 2019 but as yet never seen a fare-paying passenger) for the extension of the trial route to Dunfermline Bus Station from Ferrytoll Park and Ride site (presently the trial runs between Ferrytoll and Edinburgh Park Railway Station). I wouldn't be at all surprised if the vehicles for Sunderland aren't also E100AEVs.

Andreos1

01 Feb 2023, 8:31 pm #87

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...d-26126670

Yes, I see what you mean.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
01 Feb 2023, 8:31 pm #87

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...d-26126670

Yes, I see what you mean.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Michael

01 Feb 2023, 10:57 pm #88
(01 Feb 2023, 8:18 pm)stagecoachfan Sunderland apparently getting three Aurrigo Auto-Shuttle 10 seaters (B10C)

Aurrigo International plc – Innovate UK grant award for Auto-Shuttle project with Sunderland City Council

As part of the Sunderland Advanced Mobility Shuttle (“SAMS”) project, Aurrigo is being funded to provide three self-driving zero-emission Auto-Shuttles, which will transport passengers between Sunderland Interchange, Sunderland Royal Hospital and the University of Sunderland City Campus. The project will research, build, trial and evaluate the deployment of a highly automated, remotely supervised, zero-emission passenger mobility service within the City of Sunderland.

Development work is expected to commence in March, with the aim of demonstrating a sustainable commercial service during 2024.

https://aurrigo.com/aurrigo-internationa...y-council/

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
01 Feb 2023, 10:57 pm #88

(01 Feb 2023, 8:18 pm)stagecoachfan Sunderland apparently getting three Aurrigo Auto-Shuttle 10 seaters (B10C)

Aurrigo International plc – Innovate UK grant award for Auto-Shuttle project with Sunderland City Council

As part of the Sunderland Advanced Mobility Shuttle (“SAMS”) project, Aurrigo is being funded to provide three self-driving zero-emission Auto-Shuttles, which will transport passengers between Sunderland Interchange, Sunderland Royal Hospital and the University of Sunderland City Campus. The project will research, build, trial and evaluate the deployment of a highly automated, remotely supervised, zero-emission passenger mobility service within the City of Sunderland.

Development work is expected to commence in March, with the aim of demonstrating a sustainable commercial service during 2024.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Unber43

01 Feb 2023, 10:58 pm #89
(01 Feb 2023, 10:57 pm)Michael Aurrigo International plc – Innovate UK grant award for Auto-Shuttle project with Sunderland City Council

Im pretty sure GNE 700 contract is 6 years so it would run out in 2024. 

However at 10 seats the 700 would collapse
Unber43
01 Feb 2023, 10:58 pm #89

(01 Feb 2023, 10:57 pm)Michael Aurrigo International plc – Innovate UK grant award for Auto-Shuttle project with Sunderland City Council

Im pretty sure GNE 700 contract is 6 years so it would run out in 2024. 

However at 10 seats the 700 would collapse

02 Feb 2023, 9:10 am #90
I was on the 702 yesterday and it was full to the brim with university students. There's no way a 10-seat minibus would cope with that route.

[Image: imageHandler.php?user=wibblejunior]
wibblejunior
02 Feb 2023, 9:10 am #90

I was on the 702 yesterday and it was full to the brim with university students. There's no way a 10-seat minibus would cope with that route.

[Image: imageHandler.php?user=wibblejunior]

Adrian

02 Feb 2023, 11:00 am #91

This is something that we should all be very wary of. The likes of Stagecoach aren't pushing ahead with autonomous vehicles merely because the technology is available or it's a good thing, it's because it reduces (and eventually removes) their most expensive overhead - labour.

From their point of view, they'll be looking at why they have one person to drive every bus, when you could have one or two people remotely monitoring a handful of them. It's not too dissimilar to what supermarkets have done, where instead of having 30 checkouts, they've got one or two people monitoring 30 self-service checkouts.

In an area like Sunderland, the bus operators combined will likely be second only to Nissan, in the amount of local people that they employ. If you start to reduce or remove that work, where are the alternative opportunities for unskilled or semi-skilled workers? Of course, it's not only about keeping bus workers in jobs, it's also the knock on impact that reducing the reliance on jobs has on the local economy. If people don't have money, then there's no money for goods and services.

I'd hope the Unions are in discussions with the employers around the future of this technology.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
02 Feb 2023, 11:00 am #91

This is something that we should all be very wary of. The likes of Stagecoach aren't pushing ahead with autonomous vehicles merely because the technology is available or it's a good thing, it's because it reduces (and eventually removes) their most expensive overhead - labour.

From their point of view, they'll be looking at why they have one person to drive every bus, when you could have one or two people remotely monitoring a handful of them. It's not too dissimilar to what supermarkets have done, where instead of having 30 checkouts, they've got one or two people monitoring 30 self-service checkouts.

In an area like Sunderland, the bus operators combined will likely be second only to Nissan, in the amount of local people that they employ. If you start to reduce or remove that work, where are the alternative opportunities for unskilled or semi-skilled workers? Of course, it's not only about keeping bus workers in jobs, it's also the knock on impact that reducing the reliance on jobs has on the local economy. If people don't have money, then there's no money for goods and services.

I'd hope the Unions are in discussions with the employers around the future of this technology.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Rob44

02 Feb 2023, 12:00 pm #92
(02 Feb 2023, 11:00 am)Adrian This is something that we should all be very wary of. The likes of Stagecoach aren't pushing ahead with autonomous vehicles merely because the technology is available or it's a good thing, it's because it reduces (and eventually removes) their most expensive overhead - labour.

I'm sure SCNE will reduce fare significantly if more and more self drive buses are brought in!
Rob44
02 Feb 2023, 12:00 pm #92

(02 Feb 2023, 11:00 am)Adrian This is something that we should all be very wary of. The likes of Stagecoach aren't pushing ahead with autonomous vehicles merely because the technology is available or it's a good thing, it's because it reduces (and eventually removes) their most expensive overhead - labour.

I'm sure SCNE will reduce fare significantly if more and more self drive buses are brought in!

Unber43

02 Feb 2023, 12:14 pm #93
I dont think I would get on a self-driving bus without a driver onboard unless its on a guided bus way
Unber43
02 Feb 2023, 12:14 pm #93

I dont think I would get on a self-driving bus without a driver onboard unless its on a guided bus way

Storx

02 Feb 2023, 12:28 pm #94
(02 Feb 2023, 9:10 am)wibblejunior I was on the 702 yesterday and it was full to the brim with university students. There's no way a 10-seat minibus would cope with that route.

The thing is it would. If there's no driver's then you could up the frequency at busy times and have say 5 of them running, then at quiet times take them off. It's only not possible now as you'd have driver's sitting around doing nothing so it's not really economically viable.

It would make a massive difference to a lot of services, the X66 is another noticeable one where it would work well on (obviously with bigger vehicles) where there's times it could be a minibus, but other times a double decker.

Obviously ignoring the staffing issues mentioned after which I agree with.
Storx
02 Feb 2023, 12:28 pm #94

(02 Feb 2023, 9:10 am)wibblejunior I was on the 702 yesterday and it was full to the brim with university students. There's no way a 10-seat minibus would cope with that route.

The thing is it would. If there's no driver's then you could up the frequency at busy times and have say 5 of them running, then at quiet times take them off. It's only not possible now as you'd have driver's sitting around doing nothing so it's not really economically viable.

It would make a massive difference to a lot of services, the X66 is another noticeable one where it would work well on (obviously with bigger vehicles) where there's times it could be a minibus, but other times a double decker.

Obviously ignoring the staffing issues mentioned after which I agree with.

Michael

18 Feb 2023, 8:24 pm #95
(31 Jan 2023, 10:08 am)Shrek So according to this article, the buses from the leveling up fund will be.

Stagecoach: 20 single decks for E1, E2 and E6

Arriva: 13 double and 1 single deck for 43, 44, 45 and 47

Go Ahead: 14 double decks for 21

https://www.route-one.net/news/52-more-b...t-england/

Wonder if the Stagecoach electric buses will have WIFI and USB ports?

Although, they still haven't turned the WIFI back on for the Gas bus fleet......

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
18 Feb 2023, 8:24 pm #95

(31 Jan 2023, 10:08 am)Shrek So according to this article, the buses from the leveling up fund will be.

Stagecoach: 20 single decks for E1, E2 and E6

Arriva: 13 double and 1 single deck for 43, 44, 45 and 47

Go Ahead: 14 double decks for 21

https://www.route-one.net/news/52-more-b...t-england/

Wonder if the Stagecoach electric buses will have WIFI and USB ports?

Although, they still haven't turned the WIFI back on for the Gas bus fleet......

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Storx

18 Feb 2023, 8:40 pm #96
(18 Feb 2023, 8:24 pm)Michael Wonder if the Stagecoach electric buses will have WIFI and USB ports?

Doubt it WiFi it's utterly pointless and where they operate there's a good mobile signal throughout the route.

99% of people nowadays won't use bus WiFi over it as it's crap and the vast majority of people have data. 

It's the reason why buses in London don't have it.
Storx
18 Feb 2023, 8:40 pm #96

(18 Feb 2023, 8:24 pm)Michael Wonder if the Stagecoach electric buses will have WIFI and USB ports?

Doubt it WiFi it's utterly pointless and where they operate there's a good mobile signal throughout the route.

99% of people nowadays won't use bus WiFi over it as it's crap and the vast majority of people have data. 

Michael

18 Feb 2023, 8:50 pm #97
(18 Feb 2023, 8:40 pm)Storx Doubt it WiFi it's utterly pointless and where they operate there's a good mobile signal throughout the route.

That's true - hopefully they have USB's and stop announcements.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
18 Feb 2023, 8:50 pm #97

(18 Feb 2023, 8:40 pm)Storx Doubt it WiFi it's utterly pointless and where they operate there's a good mobile signal throughout the route.

That's true - hopefully they have USB's and stop announcements.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Storx

18 Feb 2023, 9:52 pm #98
(18 Feb 2023, 8:50 pm)Michael That's true - hopefully they have USB's and stop announcements.

Aye the new ones in Inverness appear to have them so suggest they'll get them here aswell - https://www.stagecoachbus.com/news/north...-inverness.

I'm surprised NSA's aren't law yet tbh for all new vehicles.
Storx
18 Feb 2023, 9:52 pm #98

(18 Feb 2023, 8:50 pm)Michael That's true - hopefully they have USB's and stop announcements.

Aye the new ones in Inverness appear to have them so suggest they'll get them here aswell - https://www.stagecoachbus.com/news/north...-inverness.

I'm surprised NSA's aren't law yet tbh for all new vehicles.

Michael

03 Mar 2023, 7:46 pm #99
Found this PDF last night:

Page 16:

Bus Charging Locations:

Arriva North East: NE6 2UT

Go North East: NE11 9DH

Stagecoach North East: SR5 1AQ

------------------

Project 1: Zero Emission Buses Preparation of the Economic case for project 1 has utilised the DfT Green Buses Model, some assumptions outside of the model have been applied and are set out below. Note financial numbers in the Green Bus Model are inclusive of a 10% risk contingency which have also been included in the financial case numbers.

Key Assumptions:
•Number of replaced vehicles 52, TNE (provided from Operators),Determined by operator’s schedules

•Annual average distance per vehicle, 107,000km, (calculated from operatorfleet schedules provided to TNE)

•Infrastructure maintenance costs (Chargers); 5% of CAPEX, Default ModelValue

•Average cost per electric bus, £367,695 Single Deck, £468,000 DoubleDeck, Supplied by Bus Operators from manufacturers quotes.•Cost of diesel bus, £185,000 Single Deck, £250,000 Double Deck (Suppliedby Bus Operators provided to TNE)

•Battery Replacement Costs, £3,739,707.51 (2032/33) Yr 8, (Supplied by Bus Operators provided to TNE)

•Electricity Costs, Default GBM Value (BEIS Profile)

^ Page 41

---------

The second factor relates to semi-conductor shortages which are expected to continue into 2023 following the impact of the global pandemic, shortages are compounded by surging demand due to expanding digitalization, and the increased use of 5G. The order for vehicles associated with project 1 is expected to be placed in early 2023 for delivery in 2024/25, meaning we can potentially avoid these delays; however, this remains uncertain.

Page 49
Attached Files
.pdf
LUF-2-Application-Form-Final_1 (1).pdf
Size 2.31 MB / Downloads 6

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
03 Mar 2023, 7:46 pm #99

Found this PDF last night:

Page 16:

Bus Charging Locations:

------------------

Project 1: Zero Emission Buses Preparation of the Economic case for project 1 has utilised the DfT Green Buses Model, some assumptions outside of the model have been applied and are set out below. Note financial numbers in the Green Bus Model are inclusive of a 10% risk contingency which have also been included in the financial case numbers.

Key Assumptions:
•Number of replaced vehicles 52, TNE (provided from Operators),Determined by operator’s schedules

•Annual average distance per vehicle, 107,000km, (calculated from operatorfleet schedules provided to TNE)

•Average cost per electric bus, £367,695 Single Deck, £468,000 DoubleDeck, Supplied by Bus Operators from manufacturers quotes.•Cost of diesel bus, £185,000 Single Deck, £250,000 Double Deck (Suppliedby Bus Operators provided to TNE)

•Battery Replacement Costs, £3,739,707.51 (2032/33) Yr 8, (Supplied by Bus Operators provided to TNE)

^ Page 41

---------

The second factor relates to semi-conductor shortages which are expected to continue into 2023 following the impact of the global pandemic, shortages are compounded by surging demand due to expanding digitalization, and the increased use of 5G. The order for vehicles associated with project 1 is expected to be placed in early 2023 for delivery in 2024/25, meaning we can potentially avoid these delays; however, this remains uncertain.

Page 49

Attached Files
.pdf
LUF-2-Application-Form-Final_1 (1).pdf
Size 2.31 MB / Downloads 6

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Aaron21

03 Mar 2023, 8:19 pm #100
(03 Mar 2023, 7:46 pm)Michael Found this PDF last night:

Page 16:

Bus Charging Locations:

------------------

Key Assumptions:

^  Page 41

---------

Page 49
Odd the Arriva one places the postcode near the Walkergate depot in Byker
Aaron21
03 Mar 2023, 8:19 pm #100

(03 Mar 2023, 7:46 pm)Michael Found this PDF last night:

Page 16:

Bus Charging Locations:

------------------

Key Assumptions:

^  Page 41

---------

Page 49
Odd the Arriva one places the postcode near the Walkergate depot in Byker

Pages (6) Previous 14 5 6 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average