Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure PVR requirements and workings

PVR requirements and workings

PVR requirements and workings

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average

Pages (2) Previous 1 2
Dan

Site Administrator

26 May 2023, 4:00 am #21
(25 May 2023, 3:07 pm)Unber43 Whats the PVR of the GNE 8?

Technically, just 4 in the weekday peak (but off-peak and Saturdays, 6).

Go North East has recently reinstated the full frequency around schools. One bus drops out to do the 28S at school times, another drops out to do the 4.

It’s a smarter, more cost-effective, way of introducing the full frequency at the lowest possible cost - though clearly this does mean a lower frequency is provided during the weekday morning peak (where schools requirement clashes with high demand on the local network).

I wonder if this could be done anywhere else on the network?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
26 May 2023, 4:00 am #21

Technically, just 4 in the weekday peak (but off-peak and Saturdays, 6).

Go North East has recently reinstated the full frequency around schools. One bus drops out to do the 28S at school times, another drops out to do the 4.

It’s a smarter, more cost-effective, way of introducing the full frequency at the lowest possible cost - though clearly this does mean a lower frequency is provided during the weekday morning peak (where schools requirement clashes with high demand on the local network).

Unber43

26 May 2023, 6:27 am #22
(26 May 2023, 4:00 am)Dan Technically, just 4 in the weekday peak (but off-peak and Saturdays, 6).

65 does the same with the 861 (tho I don't know why it couldn't start at Hetten and continue to Durham whereas now it runs dead straight onto the 20A. 

25 used to do it aswell.
Unber43
26 May 2023, 6:27 am #22

(26 May 2023, 4:00 am)Dan Technically, just 4 in the weekday peak (but off-peak and Saturdays, 6).

65 does the same with the 861 (tho I don't know why it couldn't start at Hetten and continue to Durham whereas now it runs dead straight onto the 20A. 

25 used to do it aswell.

Jimmi

26 May 2023, 6:41 am #23

I can certainly see more of this happening across the board, Arriva are going further down this route again with the 23 losing trips to enable the buses to work the East Durham College contracts in the upcoming timetable changes, service 8A between Ferryhill and Spennymoor being another which will supposedly help to keep this service viable. Arriva have done this in the past in Durham when the likes of the 43 and 56 had dropouts for Durham Johnston School contracts.
Jimmi
26 May 2023, 6:41 am #23

I can certainly see more of this happening across the board, Arriva are going further down this route again with the 23 losing trips to enable the buses to work the East Durham College contracts in the upcoming timetable changes, service 8A between Ferryhill and Spennymoor being another which will supposedly help to keep this service viable. Arriva have done this in the past in Durham when the likes of the 43 and 56 had dropouts for Durham Johnston School contracts.

Storx

26 May 2023, 9:14 am #24
(26 May 2023, 6:41 am)Jimmi I can certainly see more of this happening across the board, Arriva are going further down this route again with the 23 losing trips to enable the buses to work the East Durham College contracts in the upcoming timetable changes, service 8A between Ferryhill and Spennymoor being another which will supposedly help to keep this service viable. Arriva have done this in the past in Durham when the likes of the 43 and 56 had dropouts for Durham Johnston School contracts.

Stagecoach has done it for years with 3, 4, 12 and 13 in Sunderland and 22 in Newcastle aswell.

Both run their full route in or out of the city at peak times then drop onto the X1 or 22X from Doxford Park or Cobalt respectively. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see it work on more of the Newcastle / Sunderland routes where they're very busy in one direction but dead in the other direction at peak times. 

The 39/39A with GNE could be a good route for it with shorts running in the peak doing Doxford Park to Sunderland on the 39 route then dropping onto the X20 then dropping back onto another short 39 and repeat. 

I'm surprised there isn't more peak boards ie. a 7.30am peak from Stanley for example which then drops onto a school bus board before going for maintenance for 4 hours then dropping on the later school board and doing the return journey. I believe it's what the X30 does at Ashington nowadays and provides needed peak journeys and a drop during the day when they're most dead.
Storx
26 May 2023, 9:14 am #24

(26 May 2023, 6:41 am)Jimmi I can certainly see more of this happening across the board, Arriva are going further down this route again with the 23 losing trips to enable the buses to work the East Durham College contracts in the upcoming timetable changes, service 8A between Ferryhill and Spennymoor being another which will supposedly help to keep this service viable. Arriva have done this in the past in Durham when the likes of the 43 and 56 had dropouts for Durham Johnston School contracts.

Stagecoach has done it for years with 3, 4, 12 and 13 in Sunderland and 22 in Newcastle aswell.

Both run their full route in or out of the city at peak times then drop onto the X1 or 22X from Doxford Park or Cobalt respectively. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see it work on more of the Newcastle / Sunderland routes where they're very busy in one direction but dead in the other direction at peak times. 

The 39/39A with GNE could be a good route for it with shorts running in the peak doing Doxford Park to Sunderland on the 39 route then dropping onto the X20 then dropping back onto another short 39 and repeat. 

I'm surprised there isn't more peak boards ie. a 7.30am peak from Stanley for example which then drops onto a school bus board before going for maintenance for 4 hours then dropping on the later school board and doing the return journey. I believe it's what the X30 does at Ashington nowadays and provides needed peak journeys and a drop during the day when they're most dead.

Andreos1

26 May 2023, 9:35 am #25
(26 May 2023, 9:14 am)Storx Stagecoach has done it for years with 3, 4, 12 and 13 in Sunderland and 22 in Newcastle aswell.

GNE did it with a Fencehouses variation of the X3 a while back and possibly the more recently.
Huge gaps in service in the afternoon, due to the inevitable delays and heavy loads on the following runs.

It's a positive way of utilising resource as long as its done correctly and doesn't negatively impact on other passengers.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
26 May 2023, 9:35 am #25

(26 May 2023, 9:14 am)Storx Stagecoach has done it for years with 3, 4, 12 and 13 in Sunderland and 22 in Newcastle aswell.

GNE did it with a Fencehouses variation of the X3 a while back and possibly the more recently.
Huge gaps in service in the afternoon, due to the inevitable delays and heavy loads on the following runs.

It's a positive way of utilising resource as long as its done correctly and doesn't negatively impact on other passengers.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Unber43

26 May 2023, 9:37 am #26
GNE do have duplicate on the 39A which are usually a decker, but the issue is literally no one uses them
Unber43
26 May 2023, 9:37 am #26

GNE do have duplicate on the 39A which are usually a decker, but the issue is literally no one uses them

busmanT

26 May 2023, 6:22 pm #27
PVR looks to be 4 according to bustimes.org - 6 buses to run the timetable but with two buses dropping in/out to do schools on the 28S and 4.
5367 and 5399 were the two that did schools around the 8 today 

https://bustimes.org/vehicles/gnel-5399?date=2023-05-26
https://bustimes.org/vehicles/gnel-5367?date=2023-05-26
busmanT
26 May 2023, 6:22 pm #27

PVR looks to be 4 according to bustimes.org - 6 buses to run the timetable but with two buses dropping in/out to do schools on the 28S and 4.

27 May 2023, 8:52 pm #28
(26 May 2023, 6:22 pm)busmanT PVR looks to be 4 according to bustimes.org - 6 buses to run the timetable but with two buses dropping in/out to do schools on the 28S and 4.

When talking about PVR - does PVR mean the maximum number of vehicles needed to run over a sustained period of time or just the number needed during the M-F peaks? If it's the former, then surely the PVR of the 8 is 6 - as the 2 buses that drop out to do school runs are only for a few hours in the morning/afternoon, whereas most of the day (and on Saturdays) it's 6...
Adtrainsam
27 May 2023, 8:52 pm #28

(26 May 2023, 6:22 pm)busmanT PVR looks to be 4 according to bustimes.org - 6 buses to run the timetable but with two buses dropping in/out to do schools on the 28S and 4.

When talking about PVR - does PVR mean the maximum number of vehicles needed to run over a sustained period of time or just the number needed during the M-F peaks? If it's the former, then surely the PVR of the 8 is 6 - as the 2 buses that drop out to do school runs are only for a few hours in the morning/afternoon, whereas most of the day (and on Saturdays) it's 6...

busmanT

28 May 2023, 7:43 am #29
(27 May 2023, 8:52 pm)Adtrainsam When talking about PVR - does PVR mean the maximum number of vehicles needed to run over a sustained period of time or just the number needed during the M-F peaks? If it's the former, then surely the PVR of the 8 is 6 - as the 2 buses that drop out to do school runs are only for a few hours in the morning/afternoon, whereas most of the day (and on Saturdays) it's 6...
PVR = Peak Vehicle Requirement

Traditionally the number of buses required to operate a service at the time when the largest number of buses from the whole depot are on the road. 
So the number of buses used on a route at c 0830 and c 1530 on schooldays.
busmanT
28 May 2023, 7:43 am #29

(27 May 2023, 8:52 pm)Adtrainsam When talking about PVR - does PVR mean the maximum number of vehicles needed to run over a sustained period of time or just the number needed during the M-F peaks? If it's the former, then surely the PVR of the 8 is 6 - as the 2 buses that drop out to do school runs are only for a few hours in the morning/afternoon, whereas most of the day (and on Saturdays) it's 6...
PVR = Peak Vehicle Requirement

Traditionally the number of buses required to operate a service at the time when the largest number of buses from the whole depot are on the road. 
So the number of buses used on a route at c 0830 and c 1530 on schooldays.

Pages (2) Previous 1 2

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average