Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Most Unreliable Bus Routes

Most Unreliable Bus Routes

Most Unreliable Bus Routes

• 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Pages (3) Previous 1 2 3 Next
27 Aug 2023, 9:07 am #21
GNEs 2 on a night with there only being 2 services and very little sitting time at each end , ive been 28 minutes late before got to Washington, Did the Mini 2A to Biddick and Back and by the time i loaded and left the Galleries was 35 Late and spent most of the night being questioned why i was late in the end 47 minutes late getting back to depot , company seems to think that its the only vehicle on the road we hit every green light and carry no passengers so running times reflect that, and with only 2 services running control are hesitant to fit you back in as it means there might not be a bus for 2 hours at stops.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
Theboyle92
27 Aug 2023, 9:07 am #21

GNEs 2 on a night with there only being 2 services and very little sitting time at each end , ive been 28 minutes late before got to Washington, Did the Mini 2A to Biddick and Back and by the time i loaded and left the Galleries was 35 Late and spent most of the night being questioned why i was late in the end 47 minutes late getting back to depot , company seems to think that its the only vehicle on the road we hit every green light and carry no passengers so running times reflect that, and with only 2 services running control are hesitant to fit you back in as it means there might not be a bus for 2 hours at stops.

Andreos1

27 Aug 2023, 10:49 am #22
(27 Aug 2023, 9:07 am)Theboyle92 GNEs 2 on a night with there only being 2 services and very little sitting time at each end , ive been 28 minutes late before got to Washington, Did the Mini 2A to Biddick and Back and by the time i loaded and left the Galleries was 35 Late and spent most of the night being questioned why i was late in the end 47 minutes late getting back to depot , company seems to think that its the only vehicle on the road we hit every green light and carry no passengers so running times reflect that, and with only 2 services running control are hesitant to fit you back in as it means there might not be a bus for 2 hours at stops.

Which leads back almost like a butterfly effect, to the comments I made in the 'driver abandons the 21' thread.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
27 Aug 2023, 10:49 am #22

(27 Aug 2023, 9:07 am)Theboyle92 GNEs 2 on a night with there only being 2 services and very little sitting time at each end , ive been 28 minutes late before got to Washington, Did the Mini 2A to Biddick and Back and by the time i loaded and left the Galleries was 35 Late and spent most of the night being questioned why i was late in the end 47 minutes late getting back to depot , company seems to think that its the only vehicle on the road we hit every green light and carry no passengers so running times reflect that, and with only 2 services running control are hesitant to fit you back in as it means there might not be a bus for 2 hours at stops.

Which leads back almost like a butterfly effect, to the comments I made in the 'driver abandons the 21' thread.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Adrian

27 Aug 2023, 2:54 pm #23
(27 Aug 2023, 12:15 am)F114TML I just did a backshift on the Ecos tonight. Constantly chasing my time, and the bus wasn't particularly sluggish either. E6 I found the best, E1 was the worst, E2 was ok. Should point out the E1 is a lot busier than the others even at night.

The daytime timetable is about to get worse though. The extra summer bus is coming off soon and the previous running boards, you got in some cases (mainly on sundays but still) a whole 4 minutes to get from the wheatsheaf, down john street, up fawcett street, load up and depart.

I think this is a problem right across the networks. The people who put the route and timetable down on paper, are highly unlikely to be able to achieve it themselves if they were behind the wheel.

I don't use those Es all too frequently, but every time I do they tend to be busy from each end. The bus shouldn't need to be turbo-charged to keep to timetable.

Most of the day, that 2 operates with an extra 13 minutes than it does on an evening. I know there's less traffic in most places, but you still have to content with Green Terrace and the same traffic lights.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
27 Aug 2023, 2:54 pm #23

(27 Aug 2023, 12:15 am)F114TML I just did a backshift on the Ecos tonight. Constantly chasing my time, and the bus wasn't particularly sluggish either. E6 I found the best, E1 was the worst, E2 was ok. Should point out the E1 is a lot busier than the others even at night.

The daytime timetable is about to get worse though. The extra summer bus is coming off soon and the previous running boards, you got in some cases (mainly on sundays but still) a whole 4 minutes to get from the wheatsheaf, down john street, up fawcett street, load up and depart.

I think this is a problem right across the networks. The people who put the route and timetable down on paper, are highly unlikely to be able to achieve it themselves if they were behind the wheel.

I don't use those Es all too frequently, but every time I do they tend to be busy from each end. The bus shouldn't need to be turbo-charged to keep to timetable.

Most of the day, that 2 operates with an extra 13 minutes than it does on an evening. I know there's less traffic in most places, but you still have to content with Green Terrace and the same traffic lights.

27 Aug 2023, 3:12 pm #24
My favourite timing fail is the 20 from North Road to Durham Hospital. The timing is 2 minutes, but if you put the exact same route into Google Maps it times it at 4 mintues.
deanmachine
27 Aug 2023, 3:12 pm #24

My favourite timing fail is the 20 from North Road to Durham Hospital. The timing is 2 minutes, but if you put the exact same route into Google Maps it times it at 4 mintues.

27 Aug 2023, 3:14 pm #25
(27 Aug 2023, 3:12 pm)deanmachine My favourite timing fail is the 20 from North Road to Durham Hospital. The timing is 2 minutes, but if you put the exact same route into Google Maps it times it at 4 mintues.
Yes that one does make me laugh especially if you have a bus that hates climbing up hills add another 2/3 minutes onto that ...could leave durham on time and be 6 minutes late into framwellgate moor

Theboyle92
27 Aug 2023, 3:14 pm #25

(27 Aug 2023, 3:12 pm)deanmachine My favourite timing fail is the 20 from North Road to Durham Hospital. The timing is 2 minutes, but if you put the exact same route into Google Maps it times it at 4 mintues.
Yes that one does make me laugh especially if you have a bus that hates climbing up hills add another 2/3 minutes onto that ...could leave durham on time and be 6 minutes late into framwellgate moor

Unber43

27 Aug 2023, 6:08 pm #26
2/2A is quite bad they need more layover at Silksworth and Washington.
Unber43
27 Aug 2023, 6:08 pm #26

2/2A is quite bad they need more layover at Silksworth and Washington.

V514DFT

27 Aug 2023, 8:07 pm #27
I can see Stagecoach's 37 having issues when that starts

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
27 Aug 2023, 8:07 pm #27

I can see Stagecoach's 37 having issues when that starts

Kind Regards
Tez

Ambassador

27 Aug 2023, 8:09 pm #28
The 21 is having an award winning day today mind.

Pre match nothing went from Chester towards low fell for over 30 minutes. I appreciate traffic can be a challenge but this was a thing pre covid and A1 roadworks

A 40 minute gap out of town

The closure of Chester hasn’t helped at all. There’s no way for them to react and the fact their up for these awards entirely clouds they are utterly inept

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
27 Aug 2023, 8:09 pm #28

The 21 is having an award winning day today mind.

Pre match nothing went from Chester towards low fell for over 30 minutes. I appreciate traffic can be a challenge but this was a thing pre covid and A1 roadworks

The closure of Chester hasn’t helped at all. There’s no way for them to react and the fact their up for these awards entirely clouds they are utterly inept

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

27 Aug 2023, 8:42 pm #29
(27 Aug 2023, 8:09 pm)Ambassador The 21 is having an award winning day today mind.

Whats the X21 like now its at Gateshead, just as bad?

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
ASX_Terranova
27 Aug 2023, 8:42 pm #29

(27 Aug 2023, 8:09 pm)Ambassador The 21 is having an award winning day today mind.

Whats the X21 like now its at Gateshead, just as bad?

27 Aug 2023, 9:02 pm #30
(27 Aug 2023, 6:08 pm)Unber43 2/2A is quite bad they need more layover at Silksworth and Washington.
It would be alright if they removed the 2A to biddick and back on an evening as it very very rarely picks anybody up would save around 12/13 minutes that could be split at both ends to allow for any late running diversions etc

Theboyle92
27 Aug 2023, 9:02 pm #30

(27 Aug 2023, 6:08 pm)Unber43 2/2A is quite bad they need more layover at Silksworth and Washington.
It would be alright if they removed the 2A to biddick and back on an evening as it very very rarely picks anybody up would save around 12/13 minutes that could be split at both ends to allow for any late running diversions etc

28 Aug 2023, 7:30 am #31
(27 Aug 2023, 9:02 pm)Theboyle92 It would be alright if they removed the 2A to biddick and back on an evening as it very very rarely picks anybody up would save around 12/13 minutes that could be split at both ends to allow for any late running diversions etc

Could the 8 not be extended from Chester to Washington on an evening. Could be timed to give a 30 minute frequency with the 50 and routed through biddick instead as an 8E or something similar. Could be done with 1 extra PVR.
User2613
28 Aug 2023, 7:30 am #31

(27 Aug 2023, 9:02 pm)Theboyle92 It would be alright if they removed the 2A to biddick and back on an evening as it very very rarely picks anybody up would save around 12/13 minutes that could be split at both ends to allow for any late running diversions etc

Could the 8 not be extended from Chester to Washington on an evening. Could be timed to give a 30 minute frequency with the 50 and routed through biddick instead as an 8E or something similar. Could be done with 1 extra PVR.

Adrian

29 Aug 2023, 8:30 am #32

I use that 2A sparingly, but there always seems to be 3-4 others on, most of the time. I'm not sure I'd expect more than that, given it only serves one stop.

I may be wrong, but I've got a feeling that Nexus pay for that short 2A extension on an evening, as they do with the 84/85. It maintains a half hour evening frequency, without sticking an extra bus into the schedule. 

(28 Aug 2023, 7:30 am)User2613 Could the 8 not be extended from Chester to Washington on an evening. Could be timed to give a 30 minute frequency with the 50 and routed through biddick instead as an 8E or something similar. Could be done with 1 extra PVR.

They tried that recently under the 'Better than Ever' gimmick, but it didn't last long. I'd have to dig the timetables out, but I recall the issue was that it ran within 10 minutes of the 50, rather than providing a clock-face half hourly service from Chester-le-Street.

Adrian
29 Aug 2023, 8:30 am #32

I use that 2A sparingly, but there always seems to be 3-4 others on, most of the time. I'm not sure I'd expect more than that, given it only serves one stop.

I may be wrong, but I've got a feeling that Nexus pay for that short 2A extension on an evening, as they do with the 84/85. It maintains a half hour evening frequency, without sticking an extra bus into the schedule. 

(28 Aug 2023, 7:30 am)User2613 Could the 8 not be extended from Chester to Washington on an evening. Could be timed to give a 30 minute frequency with the 50 and routed through biddick instead as an 8E or something similar. Could be done with 1 extra PVR.

They tried that recently under the 'Better than Ever' gimmick, but it didn't last long. I'd have to dig the timetables out, but I recall the issue was that it ran within 10 minutes of the 50, rather than providing a clock-face half hourly service from Chester-le-Street.

29 Aug 2023, 9:10 am #33
(29 Aug 2023, 8:30 am)Adrian I use that 2A sparingly, but there always seems to be 3-4 others on, most of the time. I'm not sure I'd expect more than that, given it only serves one stop.

I would say in the dozen ive done over the past month I've taken about 3 people to biddick or back to me i would increase the pvr to 4 and have 2x2 and 2x2A on an evening.

Theboyle92
29 Aug 2023, 9:10 am #33

(29 Aug 2023, 8:30 am)Adrian I use that 2A sparingly, but there always seems to be 3-4 others on, most of the time. I'm not sure I'd expect more than that, given it only serves one stop.

I would say in the dozen ive done over the past month I've taken about 3 people to biddick or back to me i would increase the pvr to 4 and have 2x2 and 2x2A on an evening.

29 Aug 2023, 11:50 am #34
(29 Aug 2023, 9:10 am)Theboyle92 I would say in the dozen ive done over the past month I've taken about 3 people to biddick or back to me i would increase the pvr to 4 and have 2x2 and 2x2A on an evening.

Not surprised, given the fact (a. its only a 5-10 minute walk from the galleries anyway) and (b. it doesn't stop round the back of parkway).  

Also, if Washington-Sunderland evenings need to be half-hourly, what about running the 81 on evening like on a Sunday.

ASX_Terranova
29 Aug 2023, 11:50 am #34

(29 Aug 2023, 9:10 am)Theboyle92 I would say in the dozen ive done over the past month I've taken about 3 people to biddick or back to me i would increase the pvr to 4 and have 2x2 and 2x2A on an evening.

Not surprised, given the fact (a. its only a 5-10 minute walk from the galleries anyway) and (b. it doesn't stop round the back of parkway).  

Also, if Washington-Sunderland evenings need to be half-hourly, what about running the 81 on evening like on a Sunday.

Adrian

29 Aug 2023, 1:14 pm #35
(29 Aug 2023, 11:50 am)ASX_Terranova Not surprised, given the fact (a. its only a 5-10 minute walk from the galleries anyway) and (b. it doesn't stop round the back of parkway).  

About 10 minutes from the Bus Station to the Junction of Titchfield Road, but up to double that depending on where you're then walking from the bus stop to.

I don't think they need to be half hourly. It's more that the 2 has so much time trimmed off it for an evening, yet it's still got to contend with the same sets of traffic lights.

Adrian
29 Aug 2023, 1:14 pm #35

(29 Aug 2023, 11:50 am)ASX_Terranova Not surprised, given the fact (a. its only a 5-10 minute walk from the galleries anyway) and (b. it doesn't stop round the back of parkway).  

About 10 minutes from the Bus Station to the Junction of Titchfield Road, but up to double that depending on where you're then walking from the bus stop to.

I don't think they need to be half hourly. It's more that the 2 has so much time trimmed off it for an evening, yet it's still got to contend with the same sets of traffic lights.

V514DFT

29 Aug 2023, 4:32 pm #36

2x2A, so thats a 4A then, im sorry, that was supposed to be a joke, wasnt funny, al shut up now

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
29 Aug 2023, 4:32 pm #36

2x2A, so thats a 4A then, im sorry, that was supposed to be a joke, wasnt funny, al shut up now

Kind Regards
Tez

29 Aug 2023, 5:58 pm #37
(29 Aug 2023, 1:14 pm)Adrian About 10 minutes from the Bus Station to the Junction of Titchfield Road, but up to double that depending on where you're then walking from the bus stop to.

You could spilt the 2 at sunderland and give the washington part extra running time if traffic is a problem.

What were the loadings when the 8 ran to sunderland in the evenings?

ASX_Terranova
29 Aug 2023, 5:58 pm #37

(29 Aug 2023, 1:14 pm)Adrian About 10 minutes from the Bus Station to the Junction of Titchfield Road, but up to double that depending on where you're then walking from the bus stop to.

You could spilt the 2 at sunderland and give the washington part extra running time if traffic is a problem.

29 Aug 2023, 7:55 pm #38

Was that not wen it ran all the way through to Sunderland while they had the contract for the Sunderland end so ran it the full length until end of service? I was thinking only extend as far as galleries.
User2613
29 Aug 2023, 7:55 pm #38

Was that not wen it ran all the way through to Sunderland while they had the contract for the Sunderland end so ran it the full length until end of service? I was thinking only extend as far as galleries.

29 Aug 2023, 10:11 pm #39
(29 Aug 2023, 7:55 pm)User2613 Was that not wen it ran all the way through to Sunderland while they had the contract for the Sunderland end so ran it the full length until end of service? I was thinking only extend as far as galleries.

If it was contracted all the way to sunderland wouldn't the 81 or 83 run to sunderland during the evenings, i assumed it was fully commercial except on a sunday.

ASX_Terranova
29 Aug 2023, 10:11 pm #39

(29 Aug 2023, 7:55 pm)User2613 Was that not wen it ran all the way through to Sunderland while they had the contract for the Sunderland end so ran it the full length until end of service? I was thinking only extend as far as galleries.

If it was contracted all the way to sunderland wouldn't the 81 or 83 run to sunderland during the evenings, i assumed it was fully commercial except on a sunday.

Adrian

29 Aug 2023, 10:33 pm #40
(29 Aug 2023, 5:58 pm)ASX_Terranova You could spilt the 2 at sunderland and give the washington part extra running time if traffic is a problem.

I'd suspect the issue here is about covering as much, with as little resource as possible. Splitting the 2 in Sunderland is not only an extra bus, but it's significant waste in layover time, and it's confusing for passengers who have a through service all day.
Yes, I recall it (the 8) ran all the way to Sunderland, but I believe it was fully commercial.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Adrian
29 Aug 2023, 10:33 pm #40

(29 Aug 2023, 5:58 pm)ASX_Terranova You could spilt the 2 at sunderland and give the washington part extra running time if traffic is a problem.

I'd suspect the issue here is about covering as much, with as little resource as possible. Splitting the 2 in Sunderland is not only an extra bus, but it's significant waste in layover time, and it's confusing for passengers who have a through service all day.
Yes, I recall it (the 8) ran all the way to Sunderland, but I believe it was fully commercial.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Pages (3) Previous 1 2 3 Next

• 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average