Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Newly transferred to Redcar whitby

Newly transferred to Redcar whitby

Newly transferred to Redcar whitby

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Pages (4) Previous 1 2 3 4 Next
Storx

22 Mar 2024, 11:43 pm #21
(22 Mar 2024, 10:50 pm)mb134 Can I shock you with the information that people get on the bus outside of Ashington and Newcastle? Guide Post, Bedlington, Newbiggin, Cramlington, Gosforth, Stakeford, Choppington, and Wansbeck Hospital aren't going to suddenly disappear. 

While the service has been incredibly poor the past few weeks and people are rightly annoyed, the Conservatives have wrecked the country to the point that people who use the bus to commute likely have no other option financially - they aren't suddenly going to be able to get cars essentially.

Those places alone won't be sustainable for the frequencies currently though. 

I'm unsure on the second part. I'd imagine there's plenty people who will be using the buses for convenience reasons as much as anything else, ie don't want to drive to Newcastle, in particular, because of the traffic or the cost of parking etc. I know a few people who choose transport like that. 

Personally I think they'll be the customers who'll go aswell as they'll drive to a station instead and jump on the train instead especially from the likes of Newbiggin where the X21 is long, as an understatement. 

How many of them there are, who knows vs those who can't drive for economic reasons.
Storx
22 Mar 2024, 11:43 pm #21

(22 Mar 2024, 10:50 pm)mb134 Can I shock you with the information that people get on the bus outside of Ashington and Newcastle? Guide Post, Bedlington, Newbiggin, Cramlington, Gosforth, Stakeford, Choppington, and Wansbeck Hospital aren't going to suddenly disappear. 

While the service has been incredibly poor the past few weeks and people are rightly annoyed, the Conservatives have wrecked the country to the point that people who use the bus to commute likely have no other option financially - they aren't suddenly going to be able to get cars essentially.

Those places alone won't be sustainable for the frequencies currently though. 

I'm unsure on the second part. I'd imagine there's plenty people who will be using the buses for convenience reasons as much as anything else, ie don't want to drive to Newcastle, in particular, because of the traffic or the cost of parking etc. I know a few people who choose transport like that. 

Personally I think they'll be the customers who'll go aswell as they'll drive to a station instead and jump on the train instead especially from the likes of Newbiggin where the X21 is long, as an understatement. 

How many of them there are, who knows vs those who can't drive for economic reasons.

mb134

23 Mar 2024, 12:00 am #22
(22 Mar 2024, 11:43 pm)Storx Those places alone won't be sustainable for the frequencies currently though. 

Morpeth, a place with a population roughly half of Ashington, sustains a 15 minute express bus (journey time 33 mins) frequency to Newcastle while having a train service which takes just 14 minutes. I assume those services are simply full of passengers from economic hubs such as Felton, Longhorsley, Ulgham, Shilbottle, and Thropton?
mb134
23 Mar 2024, 12:00 am #22

(22 Mar 2024, 11:43 pm)Storx Those places alone won't be sustainable for the frequencies currently though. 

Morpeth, a place with a population roughly half of Ashington, sustains a 15 minute express bus (journey time 33 mins) frequency to Newcastle while having a train service which takes just 14 minutes. I assume those services are simply full of passengers from economic hubs such as Felton, Longhorsley, Ulgham, Shilbottle, and Thropton?

Storx

23 Mar 2024, 12:35 am #23
(23 Mar 2024, 12:00 am)mb134 Morpeth, a place with a population roughly half of Ashington, sustains a 15 minute express bus (journey time 33 mins) frequency to Newcastle while having a train service which takes just 14 minutes. I assume those services are simply full of passengers from economic hubs such as Felton, Longhorsley, Ulgham, Shilbottle, and Thropton?

I'm not sure Morpeth is comparable. 

Considering the X14/X15 and X18 (not counting the X16 as it's not commercial) take 30 minutes or so in comparison to nearer an hour from Ashington and also go places well beyond it such as Alnwick, Amble, Seahouses etc so have some flows going in the opposite direction against the peaks. No-one is travelling to Ashington from Newcastle etc unless you really need to.

Also there's no buses that serve any of the housing ie. Stobhill towards Newcastle which are near the train station.
Edited 23 Mar 2024, 12:38 am by Storx.
Storx
23 Mar 2024, 12:35 am #23

(23 Mar 2024, 12:00 am)mb134 Morpeth, a place with a population roughly half of Ashington, sustains a 15 minute express bus (journey time 33 mins) frequency to Newcastle while having a train service which takes just 14 minutes. I assume those services are simply full of passengers from economic hubs such as Felton, Longhorsley, Ulgham, Shilbottle, and Thropton?

I'm not sure Morpeth is comparable. 

Considering the X14/X15 and X18 (not counting the X16 as it's not commercial) take 30 minutes or so in comparison to nearer an hour from Ashington and also go places well beyond it such as Alnwick, Amble, Seahouses etc so have some flows going in the opposite direction against the peaks. No-one is travelling to Ashington from Newcastle etc unless you really need to.

Also there's no buses that serve any of the housing ie. Stobhill towards Newcastle which are near the train station.

Mark66t

Banned

23 Mar 2024, 8:11 am #24

Pulsars have a lower capacity than the vehicles they're replacing, and also aren't capable of any of the X14/15/18 duties that 7578-81 have been used on. It doesn't take a genius to work out that Ashington are getting the short end of the stick here. 

I have been on all of 7424-6 on the X93, and they performed okay. I do think they should be replaced. I don't think they should use buses which are needed in a separate part of the operation on demanding routes which are busy all year. Comprende? 

You've told me that the failure of the vehicles is nothing to do with maintenance, yet have constantly ignored the fact that 7401 has been VOR for around a year with the same issue, and that buses were constantly sent out last year with recurring issues only to fail again in service.
 It's got axle problems   nothing to do with maintenance I herd it's awaiting to get sent away to get sort it's spent it's hafe it's life on the x93 so u can expect ware and tare on the volvos
Mark66t
23 Mar 2024, 8:11 am #24

Pulsars have a lower capacity than the vehicles they're replacing, and also aren't capable of any of the X14/15/18 duties that 7578-81 have been used on. It doesn't take a genius to work out that Ashington are getting the short end of the stick here. 

I have been on all of 7424-6 on the X93, and they performed okay. I do think they should be replaced. I don't think they should use buses which are needed in a separate part of the operation on demanding routes which are busy all year. Comprende? 

You've told me that the failure of the vehicles is nothing to do with maintenance, yet have constantly ignored the fact that 7401 has been VOR for around a year with the same issue, and that buses were constantly sent out last year with recurring issues only to fail again in service.
 It's got axle problems   nothing to do with maintenance I herd it's awaiting to get sent away to get sort it's spent it's hafe it's life on the x93 so u can expect ware and tare on the volvos

tvd

23 Mar 2024, 9:29 am #25
Much of Arriva North East deserves some new buses and investment, it shouldn't be the north vs the south of the area. I do agree that Redcar don't look after their buses very well though, or even allocate properly.
Double deckers are often seen on the 62, which is a complete waste.
And I've seen myself drivers literally kicking buses, pulling and tugging at doors trying to get them to close properly and so on, at Redcar Clock right outside their office and in full view of many passengers. It doesn't tell me that they have any pride in their fleet or look after them properly.
tvd
23 Mar 2024, 9:29 am #25

Much of Arriva North East deserves some new buses and investment, it shouldn't be the north vs the south of the area. I do agree that Redcar don't look after their buses very well though, or even allocate properly.
And I've seen myself drivers literally kicking buses, pulling and tugging at doors trying to get them to close properly and so on, at Redcar Clock right outside their office and in full view of many passengers. It doesn't tell me that they have any pride in their fleet or look after them properly.

mb134

23 Mar 2024, 11:11 am #26
(23 Mar 2024, 12:35 am)Storx No-one is travelling to Ashington from Newcastle etc unless you really need to.

Again, I don't think you understand the passenger flows on the services. You're ignoring the fact that there are multiple places between Newcastle and Ashington where people go, for example Cramlington Industrial Estate. Morning X21/22s often leave Newcastle with 20-30+ people on them, so evidently there are northbound passengers in the morning. 

Morning trips through to town also drop off hefty amounts there, and also at Regent Centre.

(23 Mar 2024, 9:29 am)tvd Much of Arriva North East deserves some new buses and investment, it shouldn't be the north vs the south of the area.  I do agree that Redcar don't look after their buses very well though, or even allocate properly.
And I've seen myself drivers literally kicking buses, pulling and tugging at doors trying to get them to close properly and so on, at Redcar Clock right outside their office and in full view of many passengers.  It doesn't tell me that they have any pride in their fleet or look after them properly.

Agreed. There's clear need for investment across the board, and the robbing Peter to pay Paul approach clearly doesn't work. 

That said, as you've pointed out, it's been clear to anyone with eyes for years now that Redcar are incapable of looking after vehicles properly. Things are sent out days after breaking down onto demanding routes, just to break again for the same reason. It's neglect of the vehicles, and other depots are constantly suffering for it.

(23 Mar 2024, 9:29 am)tvd Much of Arriva North East deserves some new buses and investment, it shouldn't be the north vs the south of the area.  I do agree that Redcar don't look after their buses very well though, or even allocate properly.
And I've seen myself drivers literally kicking buses, pulling and tugging at doors trying to get them to close properly and so on, at Redcar Clock right outside their office and in full view of many passengers.  It doesn't tell me that they have any pride in their fleet or look after them properly.

Agreed. There's clear need for investment across the board, and the robbing Peter to pay Paul approach clearly doesn't work. 

That said, as you've pointed out, it's been clear to anyone with eyes for years now that Redcar are incapable of looking after vehicles properly. Things are sent out days after breaking down onto demanding routes, just to break again for the same reason. It's neglect of the vehicles, and other depots are constantly suffering for it.
Edited 23 Mar 2024, 11:17 am by mb134.
mb134
23 Mar 2024, 11:11 am #26

(23 Mar 2024, 12:35 am)Storx No-one is travelling to Ashington from Newcastle etc unless you really need to.

Again, I don't think you understand the passenger flows on the services. You're ignoring the fact that there are multiple places between Newcastle and Ashington where people go, for example Cramlington Industrial Estate. Morning X21/22s often leave Newcastle with 20-30+ people on them, so evidently there are northbound passengers in the morning. 

Morning trips through to town also drop off hefty amounts there, and also at Regent Centre.

Mike_98

23 Mar 2024, 11:45 am #27

I tell you what though. It is a good job that the Temsa's have survived this long, otherwise Redcar would have been lost as a depot if they didn't hold the depot together. Seems to be Pulsars and Deckers always breaking down.
Mike_98
23 Mar 2024, 11:45 am #27

I tell you what though. It is a good job that the Temsa's have survived this long, otherwise Redcar would have been lost as a depot if they didn't hold the depot together. Seems to be Pulsars and Deckers always breaking down.

Storx

23 Mar 2024, 12:06 pm #28
(23 Mar 2024, 11:11 am)mb134 Again, I don't think you understand the passenger flows on the services. You're ignoring the fact that there are multiple places between Newcastle and Ashington where people go, for example Cramlington Industrial Estate. Morning X21/22s often leave Newcastle with 20-30+ people on them, so evidently there are northbound passengers in the morning. 

Most these are covered by alternative services though for the local runs; 1, 2, 57, 57A etc. Admit not as frequent but surely you'd be better off trying to grow those routes.

I'd imagine the Regent Centre customers will be the first to move across considering you can get integrated tickets which would be substantially cheaper than having to get 2 products as now. 

We just have very different opinions on the train usage and I think, personally, it'll be much much greater than you predict and will impact the routes big time. Like personally I wouldn't be surprised if one of the Ashington buses started going via Cramlington and open more links as the Cramlington links are still poor from most parts of Bedlington etc.
Edited 23 Mar 2024, 12:38 pm by Storx.
Storx
23 Mar 2024, 12:06 pm #28

(23 Mar 2024, 11:11 am)mb134 Again, I don't think you understand the passenger flows on the services. You're ignoring the fact that there are multiple places between Newcastle and Ashington where people go, for example Cramlington Industrial Estate. Morning X21/22s often leave Newcastle with 20-30+ people on them, so evidently there are northbound passengers in the morning. 

Most these are covered by alternative services though for the local runs; 1, 2, 57, 57A etc. Admit not as frequent but surely you'd be better off trying to grow those routes.

I'd imagine the Regent Centre customers will be the first to move across considering you can get integrated tickets which would be substantially cheaper than having to get 2 products as now. 

We just have very different opinions on the train usage and I think, personally, it'll be much much greater than you predict and will impact the routes big time. Like personally I wouldn't be surprised if one of the Ashington buses started going via Cramlington and open more links as the Cramlington links are still poor from most parts of Bedlington etc.

mb134

23 Mar 2024, 1:18 pm #29
(23 Mar 2024, 12:06 pm)Storx Most these are covered by alternative services though for the local runs; 1, 2, 57, 57A etc. Admit not as frequent but surely you'd be better off trying to grow those routes.

As a few examples, none of the following flows are covered by the 1/2/57/57A:
  • Newcastle to Cramlington Industrial Estate
  • Newcastle to Guide Post/Bedlington
  • Regent Centre to Cramlington Industrial Estate
  • Regent Centre to Bedlington/Bedlington Station/Ashington/Guide Post/Stakeford/Newbiggin
  • Cramlington Industrial Estate to Bedlington Station/Stakeford/Nedderton/Bedlington (west end/towards Rothesay Terrace)/Newbiggin/Ashington (bar the town centre)

Regent Centre to anywhere on the Northumberland Line would require either 2 changes (at South Gosforth and Northumberland Park) or a trip into town first to change at Central. If you've got a direct bus who is going to do that given it'll take longer? 

I think there'll be an impact on the bus in some areas, particularly because of the recent impacts of driver shortages and cancelled trips, but as someone who has had a lot of exposure to these services there are a large amount of passengers who won't be able to complete their trips on the Northumberland Line.
mb134
23 Mar 2024, 1:18 pm #29

(23 Mar 2024, 12:06 pm)Storx Most these are covered by alternative services though for the local runs; 1, 2, 57, 57A etc. Admit not as frequent but surely you'd be better off trying to grow those routes.

As a few examples, none of the following flows are covered by the 1/2/57/57A:
  • Regent Centre to Bedlington/Bedlington Station/Ashington/Guide Post/Stakeford/Newbiggin
  • Cramlington Industrial Estate to Bedlington Station/Stakeford/Nedderton/Bedlington (west end/towards Rothesay Terrace)/Newbiggin/Ashington (bar the town centre)

Regent Centre to anywhere on the Northumberland Line would require either 2 changes (at South Gosforth and Northumberland Park) or a trip into town first to change at Central. If you've got a direct bus who is going to do that given it'll take longer? 

I think there'll be an impact on the bus in some areas, particularly because of the recent impacts of driver shortages and cancelled trips, but as someone who has had a lot of exposure to these services there are a large amount of passengers who won't be able to complete their trips on the Northumberland Line.

Ryland

23 Mar 2024, 1:18 pm #30
However in terms of the title of the chat. 3 have been sent to redcar/whitby and only 1 has been put into service
Ryland
23 Mar 2024, 1:18 pm #30

However in terms of the title of the chat. 3 have been sent to redcar/whitby and only 1 has been put into service

Storx

23 Mar 2024, 2:43 pm #31
(23 Mar 2024, 1:18 pm)mb134 As a few examples, none of the following flows are covered by the 1/2/57/57A:

Aye of course, I don't expect the buses to be cancelled all together of course. 

I don't want to go down the suggestions but I wouldn't be surprised to see the X22 go via Cramlington to stock up the X10/X11 personally. 

Drop the X10/X11 down to 3 BPH and then have the X22 running with them so it's 6 BPH to Cramlington. It could easily run the current route to Brockwell then just rejoin the current route by the A192. 

Cramlington isn't going nowhere. Personally I'd love to see the X9 upped to 3 BPH aswell and try and grow it on the massive new housing estates being built at the West side of the town tbh.
Edited 23 Mar 2024, 2:43 pm by Storx.
Storx
23 Mar 2024, 2:43 pm #31

(23 Mar 2024, 1:18 pm)mb134 As a few examples, none of the following flows are covered by the 1/2/57/57A:

Aye of course, I don't expect the buses to be cancelled all together of course. 

I don't want to go down the suggestions but I wouldn't be surprised to see the X22 go via Cramlington to stock up the X10/X11 personally. 

Drop the X10/X11 down to 3 BPH and then have the X22 running with them so it's 6 BPH to Cramlington. It could easily run the current route to Brockwell then just rejoin the current route by the A192. 

Cramlington isn't going nowhere. Personally I'd love to see the X9 upped to 3 BPH aswell and try and grow it on the massive new housing estates being built at the West side of the town tbh.

Ryland

25 Mar 2024, 7:13 pm #32
When it's 7581 due to transfer to redcar
Ryland
25 Mar 2024, 7:13 pm #32

When it's 7581 due to transfer to redcar

Mark66t

Banned

25 Mar 2024, 8:19 pm #33
(25 Mar 2024, 7:13 pm)Ryland When it's 7581 due to transfer to redcar

I been thinking the same  as its meant to be coming down and that about pulling doors I'm sure u have made that up 

Redcar do lool after there buses  when deckers on the 62 there down from whitby for a reson and absolutely bull about drivers pulling doors or closing
Edited 25 Mar 2024, 8:23 pm by Mark66t.
Mark66t
25 Mar 2024, 8:19 pm #33

I been thinking the same  as its meant to be coming down and that about pulling doors I'm sure u have made that up 

Redcar do lool after there buses  when deckers on the 62 there down from whitby for a reson and absolutely bull about drivers pulling doors or closing

Mike_98

25 Mar 2024, 10:46 pm #34
(25 Mar 2024, 8:19 pm)Mark66t  I been thinking the same  as its meant to be coming down and that about pulling doors I'm sure u have made that up 

The thing about drivers with the doors is true. Most of the Driver Cab doors are dodgy because of wear and tear so they have to be rammed shut.
Mike_98
25 Mar 2024, 10:46 pm #34

(25 Mar 2024, 8:19 pm)Mark66t  I been thinking the same  as its meant to be coming down and that about pulling doors I'm sure u have made that up 

The thing about drivers with the doors is true. Most of the Driver Cab doors are dodgy because of wear and tear so they have to be rammed shut.

tyresmoke

26 Mar 2024, 12:42 pm #35

Seemingly delayed a little while, have heard it’s until they have 7574 back on the road (accident damage the other week) which sounds plausible.
Also they’ve received 1539 but the engine fitted didn’t last too long so needs a return to Durham…!

Redcar I am told are prepping 7424 for a return…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
26 Mar 2024, 12:42 pm #35

Seemingly delayed a little while, have heard it’s until they have 7574 back on the road (accident damage the other week) which sounds plausible.
Also they’ve received 1539 but the engine fitted didn’t last too long so needs a return to Durham…!

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Spottybus

Banned

26 Mar 2024, 2:21 pm #36
I’m guessing 7579/7580/7581 are transfers & 7578 is only a loan

Spottybus
26 Mar 2024, 2:21 pm #36

I’m guessing 7579/7580/7581 are transfers & 7578 is only a loan

Mike_98

26 Mar 2024, 3:33 pm #37
(26 Mar 2024, 2:21 pm)Spottybus I’m guessing 7579/7580/7581 are transfers & 7578 is only a loan

From what everyone was saying before, I believe they are all transfers to ensure the X93/X94 has maximum capacity. And I must say, it hasn't been a great start.

(26 Mar 2024, 12:42 pm)tyresmoke Seemingly delayed a little while, have heard it’s until they have 7574 back on the road (accident damage the other week) which sounds plausible.

That doesn't surprise me. I'm surprised if its not 7425 which seemed more reliable than 24 and 26
Edited 26 Mar 2024, 3:34 pm by Mike_98.
Mike_98
26 Mar 2024, 3:33 pm #37

(26 Mar 2024, 2:21 pm)Spottybus I’m guessing 7579/7580/7581 are transfers & 7578 is only a loan

From what everyone was saying before, I believe they are all transfers to ensure the X93/X94 has maximum capacity. And I must say, it hasn't been a great start.

(26 Mar 2024, 12:42 pm)tyresmoke Seemingly delayed a little while, have heard it’s until they have 7574 back on the road (accident damage the other week) which sounds plausible.

That doesn't surprise me. I'm surprised if its not 7425 which seemed more reliable than 24 and 26

Spottybus

Banned

26 Mar 2024, 3:34 pm #38
(26 Mar 2024, 3:33 pm)Mike_98 From what everyone was saying before, I believe they are all transfers to ensure the X93/X94 has maximum capacity. And I must say, it hasn't been a great start.

7579/7580/7581 are to replace 7424/5/6 so 7578 has to be on loan to help cover 7581 to wait for 7574 to return

Spottybus
26 Mar 2024, 3:34 pm #38

(26 Mar 2024, 3:33 pm)Mike_98 From what everyone was saying before, I believe they are all transfers to ensure the X93/X94 has maximum capacity. And I must say, it hasn't been a great start.

7579/7580/7581 are to replace 7424/5/6 so 7578 has to be on loan to help cover 7581 to wait for 7574 to return

mb134

26 Mar 2024, 4:11 pm #39
(26 Mar 2024, 3:34 pm)Spottybus 7579/7580/7581 are to replace 7424/5/6 so 7578 has to be on loan to help cover 7581 to wait for 7574 to return

That's incorrect. 7578 is a permanent transfer, as are the other three.
mb134
26 Mar 2024, 4:11 pm #39

(26 Mar 2024, 3:34 pm)Spottybus 7579/7580/7581 are to replace 7424/5/6 so 7578 has to be on loan to help cover 7581 to wait for 7574 to return

That's incorrect. 7578 is a permanent transfer, as are the other three.

Mark66t

Banned

27 Mar 2024, 9:27 am #40
(26 Mar 2024, 4:11 pm)mb134 That's incorrect. 7578 is a permanent transfer, as are the other three.

I herd from a driver  that 7579 80 81 are  permanently transferred  7578 is fillings in for 7401 and 7581 till it transfers over
Mark66t
27 Mar 2024, 9:27 am #40

(26 Mar 2024, 4:11 pm)mb134 That's incorrect. 7578 is a permanent transfer, as are the other three.

I herd from a driver  that 7579 80 81 are  permanently transferred  7578 is fillings in for 7401 and 7581 till it transfers over

Pages (4) Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average