Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Washington Area Development

Washington Area Development

Washington Area Development

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next
Malarkey

09 Jul 2013, 4:35 pm #1
Before Christmas last I believe it was mentioned about Washington getting a new Leisure Centre which now in the process of being, the land has been cleared and the skate park moved, so all been well building work should start soon.

Also last year there was talk of a Morrisons being built up by B&Q in the Blackfell area of Washington along with a Tesco which would be situated across the road from McDonald's and Clay Garden Centre on the Peel Retail Park where Homebase etc currently are, no idea on how plans are going with that atm. Would have to do some research into it.

But now the Washington area is set even more development with the announcement last of a New 9 Screen Cinema and a Resturant next to Asda at Washington Galleries. it will be situated where current Cheviot House is which due to be knocked down in the next few weeks, As it has stood empty for a number of years now.

More Info on this link
http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/busin...-1-5830363

Now my Question is with all this supposed Development in the Washington Area, could this then lead into plans for an improved Transport Facillity aswell, Thus making Washington a Major HUB for members of the Public to come to instead going further afield to the likes of Sunderland - Newcastle and the MetroCentre which are all Major Shopping/Transport HUB's in my opinion.

Now obviously as mentioned on other forums on this site it is unlikely Washington will ever receive a Metro System although it could be possible, but I do think an Improved Bus System would be great for Washington as a whole, resulting in giving links to Areas such as Middlesbrough and Hartlepool or North Shields and Tynemouth for example.
Malarkey
09 Jul 2013, 4:35 pm #1

Before Christmas last I believe it was mentioned about Washington getting a new Leisure Centre which now in the process of being, the land has been cleared and the skate park moved, so all been well building work should start soon.

Also last year there was talk of a Morrisons being built up by B&Q in the Blackfell area of Washington along with a Tesco which would be situated across the road from McDonald's and Clay Garden Centre on the Peel Retail Park where Homebase etc currently are, no idea on how plans are going with that atm. Would have to do some research into it.

But now the Washington area is set even more development with the announcement last of a New 9 Screen Cinema and a Resturant next to Asda at Washington Galleries. it will be situated where current Cheviot House is which due to be knocked down in the next few weeks, As it has stood empty for a number of years now.

More Info on this link
http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/busin...-1-5830363

Now my Question is with all this supposed Development in the Washington Area, could this then lead into plans for an improved Transport Facillity aswell, Thus making Washington a Major HUB for members of the Public to come to instead going further afield to the likes of Sunderland - Newcastle and the MetroCentre which are all Major Shopping/Transport HUB's in my opinion.

Now obviously as mentioned on other forums on this site it is unlikely Washington will ever receive a Metro System although it could be possible, but I do think an Improved Bus System would be great for Washington as a whole, resulting in giving links to Areas such as Middlesbrough and Hartlepool or North Shields and Tynemouth for example.

MurdnunoC

09 Jul 2013, 4:58 pm #2
I think Washington is more likely to be served by the railways than it is the Tyne and Wear Metro.

The line, as it stands, is just too peripheral to the people of Washington. If the Metro was to be extended into Washington, it needs to serve the villages but, more importantly, it needs to serve the Galleries: the commercial centre of the town. I'm not against any proposal to close the 'Wearside Loop' between South Hylton and Pelaw. Any improvement is better than none. But, in my opinion, Washington would be best served by a 'Parkway' station on the Leamside line offering new rail links to Darlo, Teesside and maybe even further south. A 'Parkway' station can be situated away from the commercial centre and, if new developments are happening at the Peel Retail Park, then it is perfectly located as a new transport hub. However, the Tyne and Wear Metro runs into the heart of Newcastle, Sunderland, Gateshead, South Shields, North Shields and so on.. Excluding it from the heart of Washington would be a big mistake.
Edited 09 Jul 2013, 5:07 pm by MurdnunoC.
MurdnunoC
09 Jul 2013, 4:58 pm #2

I think Washington is more likely to be served by the railways than it is the Tyne and Wear Metro.

The line, as it stands, is just too peripheral to the people of Washington. If the Metro was to be extended into Washington, it needs to serve the villages but, more importantly, it needs to serve the Galleries: the commercial centre of the town. I'm not against any proposal to close the 'Wearside Loop' between South Hylton and Pelaw. Any improvement is better than none. But, in my opinion, Washington would be best served by a 'Parkway' station on the Leamside line offering new rail links to Darlo, Teesside and maybe even further south. A 'Parkway' station can be situated away from the commercial centre and, if new developments are happening at the Peel Retail Park, then it is perfectly located as a new transport hub. However, the Tyne and Wear Metro runs into the heart of Newcastle, Sunderland, Gateshead, South Shields, North Shields and so on.. Excluding it from the heart of Washington would be a big mistake.

Adrian

09 Jul 2013, 6:19 pm #3
Not sure which would come first, but one would most certainly be followed by the other. Both Nexus and Network Rail most likely want it (for different reasons), but they'll remain in a 'Mexican stand off' as neither wants to fund it..

Few bits of info. Morrisons at Armstrong Industrial Estate is still pending a formal decision. Full details here. The Tesco store at Peel Retail Park has now been 'downgraded' from an Extra store to a normal supermarket. Again, it's still pending decision. Full details here.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
09 Jul 2013, 6:19 pm #3

Not sure which would come first, but one would most certainly be followed by the other. Both Nexus and Network Rail most likely want it (for different reasons), but they'll remain in a 'Mexican stand off' as neither wants to fund it..

Few bits of info. Morrisons at Armstrong Industrial Estate is still pending a formal decision. Full details here. The Tesco store at Peel Retail Park has now been 'downgraded' from an Extra store to a normal supermarket. Again, it's still pending decision. Full details here.

Malarkey

09 Jul 2013, 7:34 pm #4
I didn't think there would be enough space for an Tesco Extra Store, a normal sized store for the area that'll be situated would be more suitable. Hopefully Both Morrisons and Tesco's plan get the go ahead as it would a great benefit to the area.
Malarkey
09 Jul 2013, 7:34 pm #4

I didn't think there would be enough space for an Tesco Extra Store, a normal sized store for the area that'll be situated would be more suitable. Hopefully Both Morrisons and Tesco's plan get the go ahead as it would a great benefit to the area.

Andreos1

09 Jul 2013, 7:39 pm #5
Pretty sure there had been representation to the planning authorities about the original Tesco plans.

Regardless of any public transport improvements, the A1231 junction at Peel Retail Park will need some work doing to it
Andreos1
09 Jul 2013, 7:39 pm #5

Pretty sure there had been representation to the planning authorities about the original Tesco plans.

Regardless of any public transport improvements, the A1231 junction at Peel Retail Park will need some work doing to it

Malarkey

09 Jul 2013, 8:08 pm #6
No doubt about it, it will need work to be able cope with incoming/outcoming traffic from the area, I would suspect there be traffic lights etc to be introduced.

As for buses I think they'll have the M2/M3 serve Bus Stops outside of the Tesco if it goes ahead although both stop at the bottom of the Motorway and at Barmston coming from Concord and Washington. Perhaps a quicker shuttle service could be introduced. It would be the same case with the Morrisons also.

As for the New Leisure Developments in Central Washington, I think there might be some road closures coming into Washington from Lambton/Oxclose and from Biddick/Glebe via the Leisure Centre. But we'll have to wait and see. TBF as I have lived in Washington all my life, which is almost 21 years, I think this sort of Development is long over due and is certainly welcomed by myself. I hope everything goes to plan.
Malarkey
09 Jul 2013, 8:08 pm #6

No doubt about it, it will need work to be able cope with incoming/outcoming traffic from the area, I would suspect there be traffic lights etc to be introduced.

As for buses I think they'll have the M2/M3 serve Bus Stops outside of the Tesco if it goes ahead although both stop at the bottom of the Motorway and at Barmston coming from Concord and Washington. Perhaps a quicker shuttle service could be introduced. It would be the same case with the Morrisons also.

As for the New Leisure Developments in Central Washington, I think there might be some road closures coming into Washington from Lambton/Oxclose and from Biddick/Glebe via the Leisure Centre. But we'll have to wait and see. TBF as I have lived in Washington all my life, which is almost 21 years, I think this sort of Development is long over due and is certainly welcomed by myself. I hope everything goes to plan.

Adrian

09 Jul 2013, 8:24 pm #7
(09 Jul 2013, 8:08 pm)Adam Malarkey No doubt about it, it will need work to be able cope with incoming/outcoming traffic from the area, I would suspect there be traffic lights etc to be introduced.

I agree with what you say about the M2/M3. The easiest solution would be to turn left into Peel, then round the McDonalds roundabout and then back to normal route (as below). It would only add a minute or so on to the journey at most.

[Image: XrPm8Mn.jpg]

Regarding road closures. I wouldn't expect too many of them. Road closures on developments mainly occur to route the services into the development - e.g. water, gas, and electric. That shouldn't be required for either the Leisure Centre or the new Leisure complex at the galleries. Fingers crossed!

Adrian
09 Jul 2013, 8:24 pm #7

(09 Jul 2013, 8:08 pm)Adam Malarkey No doubt about it, it will need work to be able cope with incoming/outcoming traffic from the area, I would suspect there be traffic lights etc to be introduced.

I agree with what you say about the M2/M3. The easiest solution would be to turn left into Peel, then round the McDonalds roundabout and then back to normal route (as below). It would only add a minute or so on to the journey at most.

[Image: XrPm8Mn.jpg]

Regarding road closures. I wouldn't expect too many of them. Road closures on developments mainly occur to route the services into the development - e.g. water, gas, and electric. That shouldn't be required for either the Leisure Centre or the new Leisure complex at the galleries. Fingers crossed!

Malarkey

09 Jul 2013, 8:41 pm #8
I think close off those entrances at Washington Galleries when they implode Chariot House as it's next to the road in which Buses use coming in/out of the galleries, plus there would be some debris on the road and dust also, unless they due it during the night or on a Sunday when it's less busy.

They've already dug little square holes on the Car Park to put explosives into I think. No doubt there will be an infestation of rats in there also, as I seen a few go into nearby bushes a few weeks back.

Either way it'll brought to it knees in the next few weeks
Malarkey
09 Jul 2013, 8:41 pm #8

I think close off those entrances at Washington Galleries when they implode Chariot House as it's next to the road in which Buses use coming in/out of the galleries, plus there would be some debris on the road and dust also, unless they due it during the night or on a Sunday when it's less busy.

They've already dug little square holes on the Car Park to put explosives into I think. No doubt there will be an infestation of rats in there also, as I seen a few go into nearby bushes a few weeks back.

Either way it'll brought to it knees in the next few weeks

Malarkey

11 Jul 2013, 3:40 pm #9
In the post this morning I received a Morrisons Washington let's make it happen leaflet.

Basically they rallying for support behind the project from the local community to then persuade the local council to accept there bid, Morrisons have also asked in the leaflet to fill out a little questionnaire to give our views and also email the local council also on the following email address dc@sunderland.ac.uk.

They've also reduced the store size slightly as asked by the council. Also Morrisons have displayed 5 reasons why the scheme should go ahead.

1.) 250 local job opportunities
2.) An appropriately Sized Supermarket in the right location to provide an improved choice and competition on for the weekly shop in Washington
3.) A long awaited development of an under utilised site
4.) A Catalyst for further investment in this part of Washington
5.) Multi-million development bringing a 30,775 sq ft derelict site back to life.

I personally will be filling out my feedback card and sending an email as I totally agree with is has been said in the leaflet, and tbf I don't fancy trolling my backside over to Doxford Park when I fancy some of the freshly baked sausage rolls, when I could easily either Walk/Bike or get the Bus there as it's about 10 minutes up the road from where I live.
Malarkey
11 Jul 2013, 3:40 pm #9

In the post this morning I received a Morrisons Washington let's make it happen leaflet.

Basically they rallying for support behind the project from the local community to then persuade the local council to accept there bid, Morrisons have also asked in the leaflet to fill out a little questionnaire to give our views and also email the local council also on the following email address dc@sunderland.ac.uk.

They've also reduced the store size slightly as asked by the council. Also Morrisons have displayed 5 reasons why the scheme should go ahead.

2.) An appropriately Sized Supermarket in the right location to provide an improved choice and competition on for the weekly shop in Washington
5.) Multi-million development bringing a 30,775 sq ft derelict site back to life.

I personally will be filling out my feedback card and sending an email as I totally agree with is has been said in the leaflet, and tbf I don't fancy trolling my backside over to Doxford Park when I fancy some of the freshly baked sausage rolls, when I could easily either Walk/Bike or get the Bus there as it's about 10 minutes up the road from where I live.

Tom

11 Jul 2013, 4:31 pm #10
(11 Jul 2013, 3:40 pm)Adam Malarkey In the post this morning I received a Morrisons Washington let's make it happen leaflet.

Is this in Washington Galleries they are planning? - There's already a Sainsbury's and ASDA :L

I do agree though, Morrisons is a great supermarket, as well as Tesco! - Hate the two in the Galleries!
Tom
11 Jul 2013, 4:31 pm #10

(11 Jul 2013, 3:40 pm)Adam Malarkey In the post this morning I received a Morrisons Washington let's make it happen leaflet.

Is this in Washington Galleries they are planning? - There's already a Sainsbury's and ASDA :L

I do agree though, Morrisons is a great supermarket, as well as Tesco! - Hate the two in the Galleries!

Andreos1

11 Jul 2013, 4:45 pm #11
You will be spoilt for choice, they're supposed to be starting on the Birtley Morrisons soon!

You will be able to eat as many freshly cooked sausage rolls as you can soon, without having to travel to Doxford Park!
Andreos1
11 Jul 2013, 4:45 pm #11

You will be spoilt for choice, they're supposed to be starting on the Birtley Morrisons soon!

You will be able to eat as many freshly cooked sausage rolls as you can soon, without having to travel to Doxford Park!

Adrian

11 Jul 2013, 4:52 pm #12
The said leaflet is below, for those who aren't in Washington (or seemingly not on Morrison's mailing list...). Click to enlarge.

[Image: FbCHJjd.jpg]
[Image: DM6d9Hc.jpg]

Adrian
11 Jul 2013, 4:52 pm #12

The said leaflet is below, for those who aren't in Washington (or seemingly not on Morrison's mailing list...). Click to enlarge.

[Image: FbCHJjd.jpg]
[Image: DM6d9Hc.jpg]

Andreos1

11 Jul 2013, 4:58 pm #13
Forgot to ask before - does anyone know why the email address is a University one?
Andreos1
11 Jul 2013, 4:58 pm #13

Forgot to ask before - does anyone know why the email address is a University one?

Adrian

11 Jul 2013, 6:03 pm #14
(11 Jul 2013, 4:58 pm)Andreos1 Forgot to ask before - does anyone know why the email address is a University one?

It's not on the leaflet - it's a sunderland.gov.uk one.

Adrian
11 Jul 2013, 6:03 pm #14

(11 Jul 2013, 4:58 pm)Andreos1 Forgot to ask before - does anyone know why the email address is a University one?

It's not on the leaflet - it's a sunderland.gov.uk one.

Malarkey

11 Jul 2013, 7:08 pm #15
Yeah there will be two much choice, I mainly go to Asda as its the cheapest, sometimes go to Sainsbury's or i'll bike over to Doxford Park as it only takes about 40 Minutes, depending on Weather Conditions which is a rarity.

But I welcome the competition, plus you have Tesco aswell on Peel Retail Park to built if they get planning permission. The Morrisons will be based on the Industrial Estate at Blackfell
Malarkey
11 Jul 2013, 7:08 pm #15

Yeah there will be two much choice, I mainly go to Asda as its the cheapest, sometimes go to Sainsbury's or i'll bike over to Doxford Park as it only takes about 40 Minutes, depending on Weather Conditions which is a rarity.

But I welcome the competition, plus you have Tesco aswell on Peel Retail Park to built if they get planning permission. The Morrisons will be based on the Industrial Estate at Blackfell

gtom

Banned

11 Jul 2013, 7:31 pm #16
I find it odd that the Competition Commission ruled that ASDA could not have Birtley Netto and were forced to sell it to the Co-Op due to the locale of the Galleries Asda but it's ok for Morrisons to have a 30,000sq foot supermarket in Birtley (construction starting August) and plan for another 30,000sq foot in Washington Huh
gtom
11 Jul 2013, 7:31 pm #16

I find it odd that the Competition Commission ruled that ASDA could not have Birtley Netto and were forced to sell it to the Co-Op due to the locale of the Galleries Asda but it's ok for Morrisons to have a 30,000sq foot supermarket in Birtley (construction starting August) and plan for another 30,000sq foot in Washington Huh

Adrian

11 Jul 2013, 7:34 pm #17
(11 Jul 2013, 7:31 pm)gtomlinson I find it odd that the Competition Commission ruled that ASDA could not have Birtley Netto and were forced to sell it to the Co-Op due to the locale of the Galleries Asda but it's ok for Morrisons to have a 30,000sq foot supermarket in Birtley (construction starting August) and plan for another 30,000sq foot in Washington Huh

Not to mention the one they already have in Chester Le Street. Big Grin

Adrian
11 Jul 2013, 7:34 pm #17

(11 Jul 2013, 7:31 pm)gtomlinson I find it odd that the Competition Commission ruled that ASDA could not have Birtley Netto and were forced to sell it to the Co-Op due to the locale of the Galleries Asda but it's ok for Morrisons to have a 30,000sq foot supermarket in Birtley (construction starting August) and plan for another 30,000sq foot in Washington Huh

Not to mention the one they already have in Chester Le Street. Big Grin

Andreos1

11 Jul 2013, 8:24 pm #18
And the rumoured one at the North End of Team Valley opposite Maingate.

The email I was referring to was the one AdamMalarkey mentioned. The @sunderland.ac one.
Andreos1
11 Jul 2013, 8:24 pm #18

And the rumoured one at the North End of Team Valley opposite Maingate.

The email I was referring to was the one AdamMalarkey mentioned. The @sunderland.ac one.

Malarkey

11 Jul 2013, 8:57 pm #19
(11 Jul 2013, 8:24 pm)Andreos1 And the rumoured one at the North End of Team Valley opposite Maingate.

Apologies that was a typo, was meant to put GOV

I have posted this in the service suggestions also

Washington Galleries - Sainsbury's Car Park - Biddick(W5) - Glebe(W6) - Washington Village(W6) - Brady Square(W5) - Barmston Court (W6)- Barmston(Horsley Road) - Waterview Park - Nissan - Peel Retail Park - Sulgrave - Concord - B&Q - Blackfell - Oxclose - Washington Galleries

W5 Clockwise - W6 Anti-Clockwise Loop, as part of the revamp the Service would receive Optare Solo SR's and the service be run in a similar fashion to that of the Q1/Q2 and the 700.
Edited 11 Jul 2013, 9:29 pm by Malarkey.
Malarkey
11 Jul 2013, 8:57 pm #19

(11 Jul 2013, 8:24 pm)Andreos1 And the rumoured one at the North End of Team Valley opposite Maingate.

Apologies that was a typo, was meant to put GOV

I have posted this in the service suggestions also

Washington Galleries - Sainsbury's Car Park - Biddick(W5) - Glebe(W6) - Washington Village(W6) - Brady Square(W5) - Barmston Court (W6)- Barmston(Horsley Road) - Waterview Park - Nissan - Peel Retail Park - Sulgrave - Concord - B&Q - Blackfell - Oxclose - Washington Galleries

W5 Clockwise - W6 Anti-Clockwise Loop, as part of the revamp the Service would receive Optare Solo SR's and the service be run in a similar fashion to that of the Q1/Q2 and the 700.

Malarkey

18 Jul 2013, 5:31 pm #20
I noticed when passing Cheviot House today that pretty much al the Windows had been fully removed, also where the Steps are there was Digger starting working on the grass side, must be going to level it all out. Also the new pathway/move of the skate park has been competed.

Looks like once Cheviot House is brought to it's knees work on both projects stated will commence.
Malarkey
18 Jul 2013, 5:31 pm #20

I noticed when passing Cheviot House today that pretty much al the Windows had been fully removed, also where the Steps are there was Digger starting working on the grass side, must be going to level it all out. Also the new pathway/move of the skate park has been competed.

Looks like once Cheviot House is brought to it's knees work on both projects stated will commence.

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average