Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Other Operators Northumberland Independents Spirit Buses

Spirit Buses

Spirit Buses

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (15) Previous 112 13 14 15 Next
Adrian

09 Sep 2016, 10:18 pm #241
Obviously this is only one side of the story, but I fear it's yet another example of why the deregulated market isn't working. Whatever your opinion on the market we have to day, it is not right that people should be risking losing vital transport links.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
09 Sep 2016, 10:18 pm #241

Obviously this is only one side of the story, but I fear it's yet another example of why the deregulated market isn't working. Whatever your opinion on the market we have to day, it is not right that people should be risking losing vital transport links.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

G-CPTN

09 Sep 2016, 10:21 pm #242
Well done, Spirit, for the invaluable services that you have provided for those passengers who are 'off the grid'.

I hope that there is something that can be done to ensure your survival.
G-CPTN
09 Sep 2016, 10:21 pm #242

Well done, Spirit, for the invaluable services that you have provided for those passengers who are 'off the grid'.

I hope that there is something that can be done to ensure your survival.

Cock Robin

10 Sep 2016, 12:56 pm #243
(09 Sep 2016, 10:18 pm)Adrian Obviously this is only one side of the story, but I fear it's yet another example of why the deregulated market isn't working. Whatever your opinion on the market we have to day, it is not right that people should be risking losing vital transport links.

Yes, I agree with deregulation in principle but there should be a statutory duty on local authorities to provide supported services.
Cock Robin
10 Sep 2016, 12:56 pm #243

(09 Sep 2016, 10:18 pm)Adrian Obviously this is only one side of the story, but I fear it's yet another example of why the deregulated market isn't working. Whatever your opinion on the market we have to day, it is not right that people should be risking losing vital transport links.

Yes, I agree with deregulation in principle but there should be a statutory duty on local authorities to provide supported services.

G-CPTN

10 Sep 2016, 2:10 pm #244
(10 Sep 2016, 12:56 pm)Cock Robin Yes, I agree with deregulation in principle but there should be a statutory duty on local authorities to provide supported services.

By 'provide supported services' do you mean that services such as those provided by Spirit Buses should be run by the local authority?

To me, these services should be 'encouraged' - with interacting services by operators such as Arriva being scheduled to correspond to the Spirit  Buses services to allow Spirit Buses to operate profitably within their sphere.
This is presents difficulties, of course, with Arriva (and others) being competitors (and Spirit having limited ability to alter their timings to follow whatever 'Arriva' decide to provide - with Arriva choosing to operate commercially).

And if Spirit succeeded in establishing a profitable operation, wouldn't the bigger operators muscle-in and take over the routes?

The extension of the suggestion would be prohibitively expensive with many buses operating way below capacity.

In some areas, there have been moves to provide dial-a-ride, but I don't know of any such services that are successful.

Of course, if services were cheap enough, then demand would increase - though in sparsely-populated areas this is an impossibility.

I have seen figures for rural services that were previously subsidised by local authority that showed that the cost per ride was way excessive (by anyone's reasoning).

I can remember when several small operators ran rural services (in the 1950s) with many passengers travelling into town on market day.
Today, many of those passengers have cars and choose to travel at their own convenience rather than be restricted to infrequent buses - which deteriorates the bus service until it collapses economically.
G-CPTN
10 Sep 2016, 2:10 pm #244

(10 Sep 2016, 12:56 pm)Cock Robin Yes, I agree with deregulation in principle but there should be a statutory duty on local authorities to provide supported services.

By 'provide supported services' do you mean that services such as those provided by Spirit Buses should be run by the local authority?

To me, these services should be 'encouraged' - with interacting services by operators such as Arriva being scheduled to correspond to the Spirit  Buses services to allow Spirit Buses to operate profitably within their sphere.
This is presents difficulties, of course, with Arriva (and others) being competitors (and Spirit having limited ability to alter their timings to follow whatever 'Arriva' decide to provide - with Arriva choosing to operate commercially).

And if Spirit succeeded in establishing a profitable operation, wouldn't the bigger operators muscle-in and take over the routes?

The extension of the suggestion would be prohibitively expensive with many buses operating way below capacity.

In some areas, there have been moves to provide dial-a-ride, but I don't know of any such services that are successful.

Of course, if services were cheap enough, then demand would increase - though in sparsely-populated areas this is an impossibility.

I have seen figures for rural services that were previously subsidised by local authority that showed that the cost per ride was way excessive (by anyone's reasoning).

I can remember when several small operators ran rural services (in the 1950s) with many passengers travelling into town on market day.
Today, many of those passengers have cars and choose to travel at their own convenience rather than be restricted to infrequent buses - which deteriorates the bus service until it collapses economically.

Andreos1

11 Sep 2016, 4:29 pm #245
(10 Sep 2016, 2:10 pm)G-CPTN By 'provide supported services' do you mean that services such as those provided by Spirit Buses should be run by the local authority?

That would be fantastic for passengers.
However, what incentive do potentially competing organisations have to integrate their services? You said yourself that Spirit could grow a market to be then see Arriva muscle in.

To be honest, operators often struggle as it is integrating their own services and connections - never mind seeing two operators work together.

It is a shame seeing the likes of Spirit ponder their future, as a result of other operators commercial decisions.

De-regulation has a lot to answer for.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
11 Sep 2016, 4:29 pm #245

(10 Sep 2016, 2:10 pm)G-CPTN By 'provide supported services' do you mean that services such as those provided by Spirit Buses should be run by the local authority?

That would be fantastic for passengers.
However, what incentive do potentially competing organisations have to integrate their services? You said yourself that Spirit could grow a market to be then see Arriva muscle in.

To be honest, operators often struggle as it is integrating their own services and connections - never mind seeing two operators work together.

It is a shame seeing the likes of Spirit ponder their future, as a result of other operators commercial decisions.

De-regulation has a lot to answer for.

G-CPTN

11 Sep 2016, 5:01 pm #246
(11 Sep 2016, 4:29 pm)Andreos1 That would be fantastic for passengers.

Your reply has prompted me to recall the furore caused when GNE and Arriva agreed to swap services and depots (well, at least Hexham and Ashington):-
Arriva and Go North East secret bus routes deal exposed.
So I guess Arriva would be cautious about agreeing to accommodate Spirit Buses.
Edited 11 Sep 2016, 5:04 pm by G-CPTN.
G-CPTN
11 Sep 2016, 5:01 pm #246

(11 Sep 2016, 4:29 pm)Andreos1 That would be fantastic for passengers.

Your reply has prompted me to recall the furore caused when GNE and Arriva agreed to swap services and depots (well, at least Hexham and Ashington):-

Andreos1

11 Sep 2016, 6:57 pm #247
(11 Sep 2016, 5:01 pm)G-CPTN Your reply has prompted me to recall the furore caused when GNE and Arriva agreed to swap services and depots (well, at least Hexham and Ashington):-

The content of those emails still make me laugh.
However on a more serious note - I can't see any mention of passengers or their needs in the article (or similar).

Just as a thought, rather than an allegation... I wonder about the following quote from the CC and wonder if any operators in Northumberland operate in this fashion? Maybe making decisions about services in the area and knowing the impact it would have on what they perceive to be competition.
 It also warns that the short-term retaliation seen by the firms has the long-term effect of deterring competition.

Andreos1
11 Sep 2016, 6:57 pm #247

(11 Sep 2016, 5:01 pm)G-CPTN Your reply has prompted me to recall the furore caused when GNE and Arriva agreed to swap services and depots (well, at least Hexham and Ashington):-

The content of those emails still make me laugh.
However on a more serious note - I can't see any mention of passengers or their needs in the article (or similar).

Just as a thought, rather than an allegation... I wonder about the following quote from the CC and wonder if any operators in Northumberland operate in this fashion? Maybe making decisions about services in the area and knowing the impact it would have on what they perceive to be competition.
 It also warns that the short-term retaliation seen by the firms has the long-term effect of deterring competition.

G-CPTN

11 Sep 2016, 9:17 pm #248
Except that, between Newcastle and Hexham (due to the inconsistent performance of Arriva 685) GNE introduced their own service - by extending a previous service 684 that ran part-way from Hexham to Horsley(?) and this now runs 'faster' than the original Arriva 685 service as X84/X85.

Passengers now have the choice of three services per hour instead of the one (not including the TEN - which was the 602).
G-CPTN
11 Sep 2016, 9:17 pm #248

Except that, between Newcastle and Hexham (due to the inconsistent performance of Arriva 685) GNE introduced their own service - by extending a previous service 684 that ran part-way from Hexham to Horsley(?) and this now runs 'faster' than the original Arriva 685 service as X84/X85.

Passengers now have the choice of three services per hour instead of the one (not including the TEN - which was the 602).

Andreos1

11 Sep 2016, 9:34 pm #249
(11 Sep 2016, 9:17 pm)G-CPTN Except that, between Newcastle and Hexham (due to the inconsistent performance of Arriva 685) GNE introduced their own service - by extending a previous service 684 that ran part-way from Hexham to Horsley(?) and this now runs 'faster' than the original Arriva 685 service as X84/X85.

I agree in some cases, competition will benefit the passenger's along the route. The example you have provided is a clear case of an operator spotting a gap and trying to fill it.
Were those decisions to fill the gap short-term though?

In the case of Spirit, they have cited the extension of the X20, the re-routing of the X15 and a change to the X14 as factors.
This sort of thing may be short-term (or permanent), either way it is having an impact on the likes of Spirit.
Edited 11 Sep 2016, 9:35 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
11 Sep 2016, 9:34 pm #249

(11 Sep 2016, 9:17 pm)G-CPTN Except that, between Newcastle and Hexham (due to the inconsistent performance of Arriva 685) GNE introduced their own service - by extending a previous service 684 that ran part-way from Hexham to Horsley(?) and this now runs 'faster' than the original Arriva 685 service as X84/X85.

I agree in some cases, competition will benefit the passenger's along the route. The example you have provided is a clear case of an operator spotting a gap and trying to fill it.

In the case of Spirit, they have cited the extension of the X20, the re-routing of the X15 and a change to the X14 as factors.
This sort of thing may be short-term (or permanent), either way it is having an impact on the likes of Spirit.

12 Sep 2016, 7:07 am #250
(11 Sep 2016, 9:34 pm)Andreos1 I agree in some cases, competition will benefit the passenger's along the route. The example you have provided is a clear case of an operator spotting a gap and trying to fill it.

however there are some advantages not with the x14 but with x18 and x20 as both route now go to alnwick. and this does mean more people using Travelsure's 472 service I as recently been seeing quite a lot. but as previously posted there are a higher level of disadvantages  for business's and passengers

(11 Sep 2016, 9:34 pm)Andreos1 I agree in some cases, competition will benefit the passenger's along the route. The example you have provided is a clear case of an operator spotting a gap and trying to fill it.

however there are some advantages not with the x14 but with x18 and x20 as both route now go to alnwick. and this does mean more people using Travelsure's 472 service I as recently been seeing quite a lot. but as previously posted there are a higher level of disadvantages  for business's and passengers
Edited 12 Sep 2016, 7:07 am by Designline.
Designline
12 Sep 2016, 7:07 am #250

eezypeazy

12 Sep 2016, 10:05 am #251

Can we be absolutely clear here?

This is an example of what happens in a fully regulated, controlled by the local authority market. The local authority has, for whatever reason, decided to reduce the frequency of the X14. The local authority also supports the Spirit Buses operation. By reducing the X14, they will need to support changes to the Spirit operation either to maintain connections or to make some new arrangements.

This has nothing to do with Arriva's commercially operated services, which make no call upon the council tax payers of Northumberland.

If anything, deregulation means that Steve Hurst was free to 'give it a go', and all credit to him for having the guts to do so. In a fully regulated market, Steve simply wouldn't have had this opportunity and the people of the isolated communities west of Rothbury would have had a much poorer quality of life, as the local authority was completely unable to provide services like Steve's.

Sadly, Steve's services do appear to not have been viable, but the social need for them did attract some local authority (and community) support. The deregulated market allows LAs to do exactly this, and I can appreciate how much more difficult it is when budgets are tight (or reducing).

None of this, though, could possibly be taken to suggest that a fully regulated market would produce better outcomes. This case amply demonstrates that a local authority will always face difficult decisions in transport provision, and will not be able to indefinitely support lightly used bus services.
eezypeazy
12 Sep 2016, 10:05 am #251

Can we be absolutely clear here?

This is an example of what happens in a fully regulated, controlled by the local authority market. The local authority has, for whatever reason, decided to reduce the frequency of the X14. The local authority also supports the Spirit Buses operation. By reducing the X14, they will need to support changes to the Spirit operation either to maintain connections or to make some new arrangements.

This has nothing to do with Arriva's commercially operated services, which make no call upon the council tax payers of Northumberland.

If anything, deregulation means that Steve Hurst was free to 'give it a go', and all credit to him for having the guts to do so. In a fully regulated market, Steve simply wouldn't have had this opportunity and the people of the isolated communities west of Rothbury would have had a much poorer quality of life, as the local authority was completely unable to provide services like Steve's.

Sadly, Steve's services do appear to not have been viable, but the social need for them did attract some local authority (and community) support. The deregulated market allows LAs to do exactly this, and I can appreciate how much more difficult it is when budgets are tight (or reducing).

None of this, though, could possibly be taken to suggest that a fully regulated market would produce better outcomes. This case amply demonstrates that a local authority will always face difficult decisions in transport provision, and will not be able to indefinitely support lightly used bus services.

Tom

12 Sep 2016, 3:18 pm #252
Think the X14 is going to operate at a timetable of every 100 minutes with 8 journeys per day - Wonder how this will work on the Newcastle-Morpeth section as it will mess up the 15 minute frequency.
Tom
12 Sep 2016, 3:18 pm #252

Think the X14 is going to operate at a timetable of every 100 minutes with 8 journeys per day - Wonder how this will work on the Newcastle-Morpeth section as it will mess up the 15 minute frequency.

Cock Robin

12 Sep 2016, 9:18 pm #253

I mean they should be tendered by local authorities, not run by them as such. As was the case in Cleveland until Cleveland County Council was abolished. There was a policy of no village being greater than a certain distance from an hourly service. Since then the district councils have annihilated the services.
Cock Robin
12 Sep 2016, 9:18 pm #253

I mean they should be tendered by local authorities, not run by them as such. As was the case in Cleveland until Cleveland County Council was abolished. There was a policy of no village being greater than a certain distance from an hourly service. Since then the district councils have annihilated the services.

13 Sep 2016, 7:14 am #254
(12 Sep 2016, 3:18 pm)Tom Think the X14 is going to operate at a timetable of every 100 minutes with 8 journeys per day - Wonder how this will work on the Newcastle-Morpeth section as it will mess up the 15 minute frequency.

I believe that there will be extra X16s running between Morpeth and Newcastle to fill the gap left by withdrawn X14s.  

If Ashington were to operate these additional X16s, a Scania OmniCity displaced from X14 would be used.
omnicity4659
13 Sep 2016, 7:14 am #254

(12 Sep 2016, 3:18 pm)Tom Think the X14 is going to operate at a timetable of every 100 minutes with 8 journeys per day - Wonder how this will work on the Newcastle-Morpeth section as it will mess up the 15 minute frequency.

I believe that there will be extra X16s running between Morpeth and Newcastle to fill the gap left by withdrawn X14s.  

If Ashington were to operate these additional X16s, a Scania OmniCity displaced from X14 would be used.

Tom

13 Sep 2016, 2:27 pm #255
(13 Sep 2016, 7:14 am)GX03 SVC I believe that there will be extra X16s running between Morpeth and Newcastle to fill the gap left by withdrawn X14s.  

Ah right cheers, may as well just keep the X14 Morpeth-Thropton and offer through tickets on the X15 etc.
Tom
13 Sep 2016, 2:27 pm #255

(13 Sep 2016, 7:14 am)GX03 SVC I believe that there will be extra X16s running between Morpeth and Newcastle to fill the gap left by withdrawn X14s.  

Ah right cheers, may as well just keep the X14 Morpeth-Thropton and offer through tickets on the X15 etc.

eezypeazy

14 Sep 2016, 2:05 pm #256
Northumberland County Council press release:

http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/News/20...-serv.aspx
eezypeazy
14 Sep 2016, 2:05 pm #256

Northumberland County Council press release:

G-CPTN

14 Sep 2016, 2:53 pm #257
How sad.
G-CPTN
14 Sep 2016, 2:53 pm #257

How sad.

Brian13

14 Sep 2016, 2:58 pm #258
Anyone know where the fleet might end up. Possibly to whoever takes on the contract?
Brian13
14 Sep 2016, 2:58 pm #258

Anyone know where the fleet might end up. Possibly to whoever takes on the contract?

AXG675

14 Sep 2016, 3:00 pm #259
(14 Sep 2016, 2:05 pm)eezypeazy Northumberland County Council press release:

Sad inevitability. No one can operate a bus service on £53000 per annum. I am glad the owner has saved himself from further financial distress, admire his attempts and am in deep dissatisfaction at the inability of anyone to end the curse of austerity blighting the North East. You need at least £100,000 per bus to merely survive. I achieved this at the original Leven Valley but still had to let it go to a finer business brain who was unable to perpetuate what my colleagues and I had created.
Every good wish to 'Mr Spirit Bus'. 
Paul Thompson
AXG675
14 Sep 2016, 3:00 pm #259

(14 Sep 2016, 2:05 pm)eezypeazy Northumberland County Council press release:

Sad inevitability. No one can operate a bus service on £53000 per annum. I am glad the owner has saved himself from further financial distress, admire his attempts and am in deep dissatisfaction at the inability of anyone to end the curse of austerity blighting the North East. You need at least £100,000 per bus to merely survive. I achieved this at the original Leven Valley but still had to let it go to a finer business brain who was unable to perpetuate what my colleagues and I had created.
Every good wish to 'Mr Spirit Bus'. 
Paul Thompson

Tom

14 Sep 2016, 3:25 pm #260
(14 Sep 2016, 2:58 pm)Brian13 Anyone know where the fleet might end up. Possibly to whoever takes on the contract?

There is only 1 bus
Tom
14 Sep 2016, 3:25 pm #260

(14 Sep 2016, 2:58 pm)Brian13 Anyone know where the fleet might end up. Possibly to whoever takes on the contract?

There is only 1 bus

Pages (15) Previous 112 13 14 15 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average