Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Bus stop numbers

Bus stop numbers

Bus stop numbers

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average

Pages (9) Previous 1 2 3 49 Next
Michael

20 Apr 2014, 12:57 pm #41
(20 Apr 2014, 12:49 pm)BJ10VUS Found one of the new timetables... here's Washington Road. It's simpler to understand, which is good, but I'm not a fan of the design myself.

http://liners.nexus.org.uk/23147.pdf

Looks much better than the other ones, easier to read what time they are due to.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
20 Apr 2014, 12:57 pm #41

(20 Apr 2014, 12:49 pm)BJ10VUS Found one of the new timetables... here's Washington Road. It's simpler to understand, which is good, but I'm not a fan of the design myself.

http://liners.nexus.org.uk/23147.pdf

Looks much better than the other ones, easier to read what time they are due to.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

DanPicken

Banned

20 Apr 2014, 3:51 pm #42
(20 Apr 2014, 12:57 pm)Michael Looks much better than the other ones, easier to read what time they are due to.

bus stop at whitley bay metro same
DanPicken
20 Apr 2014, 3:51 pm #42

(20 Apr 2014, 12:57 pm)Michael Looks much better than the other ones, easier to read what time they are due to.

bus stop at whitley bay metro same

MurdnunoC

01 Jun 2014, 5:52 pm #43
Does anyone care to explain how two buses departing from the same stop, traversing the exact same route, have two different estimated times of how long it takes to get from Rowlands Gill to Newcastle?

http://liners.nexus.org.uk/20011.pdf

According to the timetable, service 45 takes 29 minutes while service 46 takes 35 minutes. Service 47, which goes a slightly different way, takes 30 minutes.

I didn't really want to put this in the 'Life's Little Mysteries' thread but perhaps I should have done!

I wonder if there any more examples of this timetabling anomaly.

(Yes, I know it's Nexus and expect nothing less!)
MurdnunoC
01 Jun 2014, 5:52 pm #43

Does anyone care to explain how two buses departing from the same stop, traversing the exact same route, have two different estimated times of how long it takes to get from Rowlands Gill to Newcastle?

According to the timetable, service 45 takes 29 minutes while service 46 takes 35 minutes. Service 47, which goes a slightly different way, takes 30 minutes.

I didn't really want to put this in the 'Life's Little Mysteries' thread but perhaps I should have done!

Dan

Site Administrator

01 Jun 2014, 6:07 pm #44
There's a few examples of that happening in Washington too, Adam. It's even more irritating that customers think this is a Go North East fault and complain to Go North East when these services take longer than x minutes as shown on the bus stop timetable.

Regarding the new design - the one on Newcastle Road opposite the Whatsheaf (X3 terminus) has been updated to the new style and it was hideous to read compared to the old style. I found myself having to point at the timetable and follow it along with my finger like a little old woman. It still read 'at xx and yy mins past each hour' too.

EDIT: Not sure if it was a mistake on the printed timetable or not, but it's not like that on the online version:
http://liners.nexus.org.uk/24020.pdf
Dan
01 Jun 2014, 6:07 pm #44

There's a few examples of that happening in Washington too, Adam. It's even more irritating that customers think this is a Go North East fault and complain to Go North East when these services take longer than x minutes as shown on the bus stop timetable.

Regarding the new design - the one on Newcastle Road opposite the Whatsheaf (X3 terminus) has been updated to the new style and it was hideous to read compared to the old style. I found myself having to point at the timetable and follow it along with my finger like a little old woman. It still read 'at xx and yy mins past each hour' too.

EDIT: Not sure if it was a mistake on the printed timetable or not, but it's not like that on the online version:

Michael

01 Jun 2014, 6:18 pm #45
(01 Jun 2014, 6:07 pm)Dan There's a few examples of that happening in Washington too, Adam. It's even more irritating that customers think this is a Go North East fault and complain to Go North East when these services take longer than x minutes as shown on the bus stop timetable.

The 2 next to Sunderland Uni have being updated to - http://liners.nexus.org.uk/24245.pdf

Slightly different to the ones on Washington road for the 50/56 - due to the fact that theirs more services using that road

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
01 Jun 2014, 6:18 pm #45

(01 Jun 2014, 6:07 pm)Dan There's a few examples of that happening in Washington too, Adam. It's even more irritating that customers think this is a Go North East fault and complain to Go North East when these services take longer than x minutes as shown on the bus stop timetable.

The 2 next to Sunderland Uni have being updated to - http://liners.nexus.org.uk/24245.pdf

Slightly different to the ones on Washington road for the 50/56 - due to the fact that theirs more services using that road

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

01 Jun 2014, 6:21 pm #46
(01 Jun 2014, 6:18 pm)Michael The 2 next to Sunderland Uni have being updated to - http://liners.nexus.org.uk/24245.pdf

Yes! It was like that but a mixture of the one on Washington Road too... It was absolutely crazy and an old woman asked me if I knew when the bus was due because she couldn't read it and I had to admit that I hated the new timetable layout too because it was difficult to read.
Dan
01 Jun 2014, 6:21 pm #46

(01 Jun 2014, 6:18 pm)Michael The 2 next to Sunderland Uni have being updated to - http://liners.nexus.org.uk/24245.pdf

Yes! It was like that but a mixture of the one on Washington Road too... It was absolutely crazy and an old woman asked me if I knew when the bus was due because she couldn't read it and I had to admit that I hated the new timetable layout too because it was difficult to read.

BJ10VUS

01 Jun 2014, 6:31 pm #47

I'm not a fan... they don't look that great!
BJ10VUS
01 Jun 2014, 6:31 pm #47

I'm not a fan... they don't look that great!

MurdnunoC

01 Jun 2014, 6:32 pm #48
The estimated time of 29 minutes is extremely optimistic to say the least. Maybe it's achievable with the first bus on a Sunday morning but even then there's the regular car-boot sale at Blaydon Rugby Club to consider. I don't know what loadings are like now, but back when I was a regular GNE punter (many moons ago), there was always a queue of people waiting to board with a variety of oversized junk.
MurdnunoC
01 Jun 2014, 6:32 pm #48

The estimated time of 29 minutes is extremely optimistic to say the least. Maybe it's achievable with the first bus on a Sunday morning but even then there's the regular car-boot sale at Blaydon Rugby Club to consider. I don't know what loadings are like now, but back when I was a regular GNE punter (many moons ago), there was always a queue of people waiting to board with a variety of oversized junk.

Andreos1

01 Jun 2014, 6:33 pm #49
(01 Jun 2014, 5:52 pm)AdamY Does anyone care to explain how two buses departing from the same stop, traversing the exact same route, have two different estimated times of how long it takes to get from Rowlands Gill to Newcastle?

There have been examples of it for years with the stops I have used on a regular basis.
No idea why.

The only thing I could come up with, was the popularity of the service i.e if it was popular, it took longer - if it was less so, then quicker.

No idea if that was the case with each example or not.

On a different note, the timetables on Chester Front St have changed. No idea how long the new versions have been in place, but much easier on the eye, than the traditional cluttered version.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
01 Jun 2014, 6:33 pm #49

(01 Jun 2014, 5:52 pm)AdamY Does anyone care to explain how two buses departing from the same stop, traversing the exact same route, have two different estimated times of how long it takes to get from Rowlands Gill to Newcastle?

There have been examples of it for years with the stops I have used on a regular basis.
No idea why.

The only thing I could come up with, was the popularity of the service i.e if it was popular, it took longer - if it was less so, then quicker.

On a different note, the timetables on Chester Front St have changed. No idea how long the new versions have been in place, but much easier on the eye, than the traditional cluttered version.

MurdnunoC

01 Jun 2014, 7:16 pm #50
Even more disparity regarding estimated journey times on the bus stop prior (heading into Newcastle) to the one I posted about earlier.

http://liners.nexus.org.uk/20010.pdf

Aside from the fact they're formatted differently, service 45 now takes 27 minutes; service 46 takes 42 minutes; and service 47 takes 40 minutes. The latter is probably the one I'd be inclined to believe.

I like how travelling to the past is now possible in Rowlands Gill courtesy of Nexus!
MurdnunoC
01 Jun 2014, 7:16 pm #50

Even more disparity regarding estimated journey times on the bus stop prior (heading into Newcastle) to the one I posted about earlier.

http://liners.nexus.org.uk/20010.pdf

Aside from the fact they're formatted differently, service 45 now takes 27 minutes; service 46 takes 42 minutes; and service 47 takes 40 minutes. The latter is probably the one I'd be inclined to believe.

I like how travelling to the past is now possible in Rowlands Gill courtesy of Nexus!

Dan

Site Administrator

01 Jun 2014, 7:18 pm #51
(01 Jun 2014, 6:33 pm)Andreos Constantopolous There have been examples of it for years with the stops I have used on a regular basis.
No idea why.

Don't think there's that much of a popularity difference between "Red Kite" services 45/46 to cause a 15 minute difference in journey times! Tongue

FTAO: eezypeazy - this would be a perfect time to get a dig in about QCS, if they can't manage to publish timetables correctly!
Dan
01 Jun 2014, 7:18 pm #51

(01 Jun 2014, 6:33 pm)Andreos Constantopolous There have been examples of it for years with the stops I have used on a regular basis.
No idea why.

Don't think there's that much of a popularity difference between "Red Kite" services 45/46 to cause a 15 minute difference in journey times! Tongue

FTAO: eezypeazy - this would be a perfect time to get a dig in about QCS, if they can't manage to publish timetables correctly!

MurdnunoC

01 Jun 2014, 7:31 pm #52
(01 Jun 2014, 7:18 pm)Dan Don't think there's that much of a popularity difference between "Red Kite" services 45/46 to cause a 15 minute difference in journey times! Tongue

I tend to choose services 45/46 over service 47 as it is usually marginally quicker. But I've yet to hear of anyone stating a preference between the two "Red-Kite" services.

Mind you, I have witnessed a DeLorean DMC-12 operating the 45 recently. I'm surprised no-one has managed to snap a picture of that particular allocation. Perhaps that explains the time difference?

Time to re-brand?
MurdnunoC
01 Jun 2014, 7:31 pm #52

(01 Jun 2014, 7:18 pm)Dan Don't think there's that much of a popularity difference between "Red Kite" services 45/46 to cause a 15 minute difference in journey times! Tongue

I tend to choose services 45/46 over service 47 as it is usually marginally quicker. But I've yet to hear of anyone stating a preference between the two "Red-Kite" services.

Mind you, I have witnessed a DeLorean DMC-12 operating the 45 recently. I'm surprised no-one has managed to snap a picture of that particular allocation. Perhaps that explains the time difference?

Time to re-brand?

Adrian

01 Jun 2014, 7:32 pm #53

Well according to the Senior Traffic Commissioner, us folk don't see timetables as timetables anyway. Tongue

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
01 Jun 2014, 7:32 pm #53

Well according to the Senior Traffic Commissioner, us folk don't see timetables as timetables anyway. Tongue

citaro5284

01 Jun 2014, 7:37 pm #54
(01 Jun 2014, 7:32 pm)aureolin Well according to the Senior Traffic Commissioner, us folk don't see timetables as timetables anyway. Tongue

Huh
citaro5284
01 Jun 2014, 7:37 pm #54

(01 Jun 2014, 7:32 pm)aureolin Well according to the Senior Traffic Commissioner, us folk don't see timetables as timetables anyway. Tongue

Huh

Andreos1

01 Jun 2014, 7:37 pm #55

Ah don't man.
He/she doesn't need any encouragement Rolleyes

As for the other bit, never noticed the 15min difference.
The ones I have seen, are just a few minutes difference.
Edited 01 Jun 2014, 7:44 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
01 Jun 2014, 7:37 pm #55

Ah don't man.
He/she doesn't need any encouragement Rolleyes

As for the other bit, never noticed the 15min difference.
The ones I have seen, are just a few minutes difference.

Adrian

01 Jun 2014, 7:45 pm #56
(01 Jun 2014, 7:37 pm)citaro5284 Huh

That's my wires crossed. It was in fact our good friends over at Passenger Focus that suggested that. Probably based on the 0.000000005% of bus users they surveyed.

Adrian
01 Jun 2014, 7:45 pm #56

(01 Jun 2014, 7:37 pm)citaro5284 Huh

That's my wires crossed. It was in fact our good friends over at Passenger Focus that suggested that. Probably based on the 0.000000005% of bus users they surveyed.

Andreos1

01 Jun 2014, 7:48 pm #57
(01 Jun 2014, 7:45 pm)aureolin That's my wires crossed. It was in fact our good friends over at Passenger Focus that suggested that. Probably based on the 0.000000005% of bus users they surveyed.

(27 Mar 2014, 7:41 pm)eezypeazy You're still not able to understand sampling, are you? And how samples are representative? And how the same technique has been rigourously applied across the country?

Big Grin

Andreos1
01 Jun 2014, 7:48 pm #57

(01 Jun 2014, 7:45 pm)aureolin That's my wires crossed. It was in fact our good friends over at Passenger Focus that suggested that. Probably based on the 0.000000005% of bus users they surveyed.

(27 Mar 2014, 7:41 pm)eezypeazy You're still not able to understand sampling, are you? And how samples are representative? And how the same technique has been rigourously applied across the country?

Big Grin

Adrian

01 Jun 2014, 8:09 pm #58
(01 Jun 2014, 7:48 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Big Grin

Big Grin one of the best debates on NEB.

I prefer living in a democracy though, where everyone has their say.

Adrian
01 Jun 2014, 8:09 pm #58

(01 Jun 2014, 7:48 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Big Grin

Big Grin one of the best debates on NEB.

I prefer living in a democracy though, where everyone has their say.

02 Jun 2014, 8:34 am #59
The timings on the nexus bus stops are based on the quickest scheduled journey. The rather odd timing of the 45 is based on the very first trip (0529 ish?) which doesn't encounter much traffic (cars or passengers). This explains the wide discrepancy to the 46 and 47.

In general terms, if a service has an evening variation, that's the point-to-point timings nexus use. Personally, I think these timings raise customer expectations too much. I'd much prefer they used general daytime timings, as they are generally more robust for connections/ journey planning, etc. and if a bus arrives at destination point earlier than customers expectation, this would certainly excite less comment...
JakeSavage
02 Jun 2014, 8:34 am #59

The timings on the nexus bus stops are based on the quickest scheduled journey. The rather odd timing of the 45 is based on the very first trip (0529 ish?) which doesn't encounter much traffic (cars or passengers). This explains the wide discrepancy to the 46 and 47.

In general terms, if a service has an evening variation, that's the point-to-point timings nexus use. Personally, I think these timings raise customer expectations too much. I'd much prefer they used general daytime timings, as they are generally more robust for connections/ journey planning, etc. and if a bus arrives at destination point earlier than customers expectation, this would certainly excite less comment...

MurdnunoC

02 Jun 2014, 2:24 pm #60
(02 Jun 2014, 8:34 am)JakeSavage The timings on the nexus bus stops are based on the quickest scheduled journey. The rather odd timing of the 45 is based on the very first trip (0529 ish?) which doesn't encounter much traffic (cars or passengers). This explains the wide discrepancy to the 46 and 47.

If what you say is correct, and I'm not suggesting it isn't, then this is such an idiotic way to serve as a basis for estimating journey times. Journey times should/need be estimated using the peak timetable on all services. That way, as you point out, customers will have realistic expectations over when the bus will arrive and how long it will take to its destination.

However, while that may explain the disparity between services 45 and 46, it does not explain the disparity between services 45 and 47. Both services have buses leaving the Gill prior to 6am, yet, one bus takes 27 minutes while the other takes 40 minutes. Although, in my view, service 47 takes slightly longer than services 45 & 46 due to its routing through The Teams, the difference does not come anywhere near 30 minutes. Are Nexus trying to suggest that levels of congestion are so much different between 05:30 and 06:00 than they are between 06:00 and 06:30? I accept that traffic levels may be higher in the latter time-window, but I would certainly not put it at peak-time levels which tend to start at 06:45 and 07:15.
Edited 02 Jun 2014, 2:25 pm by MurdnunoC.
MurdnunoC
02 Jun 2014, 2:24 pm #60

(02 Jun 2014, 8:34 am)JakeSavage The timings on the nexus bus stops are based on the quickest scheduled journey. The rather odd timing of the 45 is based on the very first trip (0529 ish?) which doesn't encounter much traffic (cars or passengers). This explains the wide discrepancy to the 46 and 47.

If what you say is correct, and I'm not suggesting it isn't, then this is such an idiotic way to serve as a basis for estimating journey times. Journey times should/need be estimated using the peak timetable on all services. That way, as you point out, customers will have realistic expectations over when the bus will arrive and how long it will take to its destination.

However, while that may explain the disparity between services 45 and 46, it does not explain the disparity between services 45 and 47. Both services have buses leaving the Gill prior to 6am, yet, one bus takes 27 minutes while the other takes 40 minutes. Although, in my view, service 47 takes slightly longer than services 45 & 46 due to its routing through The Teams, the difference does not come anywhere near 30 minutes. Are Nexus trying to suggest that levels of congestion are so much different between 05:30 and 06:00 than they are between 06:00 and 06:30? I accept that traffic levels may be higher in the latter time-window, but I would certainly not put it at peak-time levels which tend to start at 06:45 and 07:15.

Pages (9) Previous 1 2 3 49 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average