Login Register
North East Buses Local Bus Scene Bus Operations, Management & Infrastructure
Durham Bus Stn
Have to agree as a driver its a bloody nightmare to go in and out of. Thankfully I don't do X1s very often.... Got one next week though, our morning trip that just does Durham and back.
Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Commercial Manager, Stagecarriage
It doesn't seem like it is in the 21st century with the amount of people it has that use it but the significant lack of space. I do agree it doesn't put a great first impression of the city out.

However, to me the area generally looks too filled up anyway? Looks like it will be a challenge to redevelop it; I'll certainly look forward to diagrams etc.
Work on the new bus station in Durham is expected to start soon, expected to take 18 months to complete. I can only but imagine the utter chaos that's going to be caused.
(16/03/2014, 14:52)palatine3833 Wrote: Work on the new bus station in Durham is expected to start soon, expected to take 18 months to complete. I can only but imagine the utter chaos that's going to be caused.

Any plans of it anywhere? I'd assume services would use a mixture of Sutton Street, and then North Road/Millburngate as a temporary measure. Still be utter chaos as you say though.
(16/03/2014, 15:25)aureolin Wrote: Any plans of it anywhere? I'd assume services would use a mixture of Sutton Street, and then North Road/Millburngate as a temporary measure. Still be utter chaos as you say though.

Beat me to it!
Was just about to say the same thing - maybe adding that a couple of stands in the bus station are taken out at a time for work, rather than shut the whole place down completely (if only to aid the surrounding area).
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(16/03/2014, 15:34)Andreos Constantopolous Wrote: Beat me to it!
Was just about to say the same thing - maybe adding that a couple of stands in the bus station are taken out at a time for work, rather than shut the whole place down completely (if only to aid the surrounding area).

Cant find anything about proposed applications for anything to do with Durham Bus Station on County Durham Planning Applications?.
I'm in favour of Bus Bill 
Also out of the EU
(16/03/2014, 16:15)cbma06 Wrote: Cant find anything about proposed applications for anything to do with Durham Bus Station on County Durham Planning Applications?.

The only thing I can find (apart from newspaper reports from the budget meeting), is this: http://www.cyclescape.org/issues/957-dur...evelopment
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(16/03/2014, 16:27)Andreos Constantopolous Wrote: The only thing I can find (apart from newspaper reports from the budget meeting), is this: http://www.cyclescape.org/issues/957-dur...evelopment

The County Durham Plan has been ongoing for a few years but nothing concrete at present its mostly up in the air with chit chat, it states that the Durham bus station will be relocated, but where could it go?

Cant see nothing happening with Durham bus station for at least years to come. Just wish Sunderland Interchange got blown away at least then their would try and build the bus station with so called bricks and maybe a Middlesbrough design bus station instead.
Also out of the EU
(16/03/2014, 17:17)cbma06 Wrote: The County Durham Plan has been ongoing for a few years but nothing concrete at present its mostly up in the air with chit chat, it states that the Durham bus station will be relocated, but where could it go?

Cant see nothing happening with Durham bus station for at least years to come. Just wish Sunderland Interchange got blown away at least then their would try and build the bus station with so called bricks and maybe a Middlesbrough design bus station instead.

Funny, I rank Park Lane along with Middlesbrough and Gateshead as one of the better laid-out Bus Stations in the North East. Admittedly it could do with being enclosed but then the same could be said about Bishop Auckland 'Bus Station'.
(16/03/2014, 17:25)Kuyoyo Wrote: Funny, I rank Park Lane along with Middlesbrough and Gateshead as one of the better laid-out Bus Stations in the North East. Admittedly it could do with being enclosed but then the same could be said about Bishop Auckland 'Bus Station'.

I would of preferred if Sunderland Bus station was built on the orginally proposed site between Green Terrace and Crowtree Road where the multi storey car park and Debenhams is built now, at least it would be in twinned with the bridges shopping complex if the council knocked down leisure centre at the same time as their knocked down the old bus station (the layout of the proposed bus station was going to be coming in from Green Terrace and exit out on Crowtree road with the bus stands as lanes), But the council and Nexus opted for park Lane because of the new metro station and Civic Centre nearby.
Also out of the EU