Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Durham Bus Stn

Durham Bus Stn

Durham Bus Stn

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average

Pages (20): Previous 1 2 3 420 Next
Dan

Site Administrator

22 Apr 2014, 3:42 pm #41
(16 Mar 2014, 4:40 pm)Dan So clearly, Middlesbrough Bus Station is a hell of a lot better than Park Lane Interchange.
Buses running late and having to use the wrong stands may only be an occasional issue for you down in Middlesbrough, but it's a completely different story here in Sunderland. Nine times out of ten, it has a knock-on effect, and at peak times more so, causes chaos.

Was hideous in Park Lane this evening.

Arriva's service 23 was running approximately 15 minutes late (arriving into Park Lane at roughly 16:15), with two Go North East service 60s, one Go North East service 61 and one Go North East service 42 entering soon after it. A free-for-all was had for the stands.

On the other side of the station, everything seemed to be running in twos. All at once; service 73, services 2A and 2C and services 8 and 78 tried to occupy three stands - blocking a service 35, service 20 and service E2. Oh, and two B9TLs on service 56 blocked off service X36 too - but this wasn't a major issue, as service X36 would have been stuck behind the aforementioned services anyway.
Dan
22 Apr 2014, 3:42 pm #41

(16 Mar 2014, 4:40 pm)Dan So clearly, Middlesbrough Bus Station is a hell of a lot better than Park Lane Interchange.
Buses running late and having to use the wrong stands may only be an occasional issue for you down in Middlesbrough, but it's a completely different story here in Sunderland. Nine times out of ten, it has a knock-on effect, and at peak times more so, causes chaos.

Was hideous in Park Lane this evening.

Arriva's service 23 was running approximately 15 minutes late (arriving into Park Lane at roughly 16:15), with two Go North East service 60s, one Go North East service 61 and one Go North East service 42 entering soon after it. A free-for-all was had for the stands.

On the other side of the station, everything seemed to be running in twos. All at once; service 73, services 2A and 2C and services 8 and 78 tried to occupy three stands - blocking a service 35, service 20 and service E2. Oh, and two B9TLs on service 56 blocked off service X36 too - but this wasn't a major issue, as service X36 would have been stuck behind the aforementioned services anyway.

22 Apr 2014, 5:36 pm #42
(16 Mar 2014, 4:12 pm)Kuyoyo But how can you design bus stations for occasional 'issues' like late buses? The simple matter is you can't.

The issue with Middlesbrough is the fact some drivers (for all companies not just one) seem only to be able to try using Stand 11 (the one slap bang in the middle of the horseshoe) to set down (it is the official set-down stand) however when you've got buses turning up all the time, there's plenty more stands to be used. The only other problem is the doors - the 'In' and 'Out' way doesn't work in my mind and all stands (bar stand 1/2/20/21 as those bring issues) should have been done with one set of double doors as on Stand 11. Although the key problem is the fact the refurbishment was done on the cheap (hence the reason it was completed 2 weeks earlier than originally forecast and the door issues were there on the first day).

Late buses an "occasional issue"?!
Edited 22 Apr 2014, 5:37 pm by Roland Pratt.
Roland Pratt
22 Apr 2014, 5:36 pm #42

(16 Mar 2014, 4:12 pm)Kuyoyo But how can you design bus stations for occasional 'issues' like late buses? The simple matter is you can't.

The issue with Middlesbrough is the fact some drivers (for all companies not just one) seem only to be able to try using Stand 11 (the one slap bang in the middle of the horseshoe) to set down (it is the official set-down stand) however when you've got buses turning up all the time, there's plenty more stands to be used. The only other problem is the doors - the 'In' and 'Out' way doesn't work in my mind and all stands (bar stand 1/2/20/21 as those bring issues) should have been done with one set of double doors as on Stand 11. Although the key problem is the fact the refurbishment was done on the cheap (hence the reason it was completed 2 weeks earlier than originally forecast and the door issues were there on the first day).

Late buses an "occasional issue"?!

Michael

22 Apr 2014, 5:45 pm #43
(22 Apr 2014, 3:42 pm)Dan Was hideous in Park Lane this evening.

That's why i think that where stands H, J and K are, they could of being moved down more at the bus station when it was designed, complete nightmare sometimes at that end of the bus station.

I don't like where stands A-G are, not sure on reversing out, its not bad when it's quiet but when its busy and 5/6 buses come in at once.. different story.

Could they not move the 8/78/78A to stand H or V, then that way stand K is free and won't cause any back ups.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
22 Apr 2014, 5:45 pm #43

(22 Apr 2014, 3:42 pm)Dan Was hideous in Park Lane this evening.

That's why i think that where stands H, J and K are, they could of being moved down more at the bus station when it was designed, complete nightmare sometimes at that end of the bus station.

I don't like where stands A-G are, not sure on reversing out, its not bad when it's quiet but when its busy and 5/6 buses come in at once.. different story.

Could they not move the 8/78/78A to stand H or V, then that way stand K is free and won't cause any back ups.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

22 Apr 2014, 10:20 pm #44
Do you think they could do something like Eldon Square, highlighting when a bay is free, and if the bus stand the bus is allocated to they could either; drop off people at a different stand for drop off only, or if a close bay is free drive to that one (unless its the same service, and if it is a service that is on time and the one in the bay is late, that bus could turn around and cover for the late bus).
benambro
22 Apr 2014, 10:20 pm #44

Do you think they could do something like Eldon Square, highlighting when a bay is free, and if the bus stand the bus is allocated to they could either; drop off people at a different stand for drop off only, or if a close bay is free drive to that one (unless its the same service, and if it is a service that is on time and the one in the bay is late, that bus could turn around and cover for the late bus).

23 Apr 2014, 8:36 am #45
The biggest problem with Durham Bus Station is the amount of buses has increased rapidly not to mention the size of the buses themselves. It is very rare that you will see a full size bus on stand F during the day as it is impossible to get it off the stand without hitting the wall if there are buses alongside you. Should a big bus be used on the 49 during the day, you will notice the driver will usually pull onto stand E or G deliberately to avoid this problem.

The rough plans for the new bus station show that it will be moved up towards the roundabout although I'm not sure how that would work with redirecting the A690.
palatine3833
23 Apr 2014, 8:36 am #45

The biggest problem with Durham Bus Station is the amount of buses has increased rapidly not to mention the size of the buses themselves. It is very rare that you will see a full size bus on stand F during the day as it is impossible to get it off the stand without hitting the wall if there are buses alongside you. Should a big bus be used on the 49 during the day, you will notice the driver will usually pull onto stand E or G deliberately to avoid this problem.

The rough plans for the new bus station show that it will be moved up towards the roundabout although I'm not sure how that would work with redirecting the A690.

Malarkey

23 Apr 2014, 2:08 pm #46
Just a thought for the New Durham Bus Station, would it be a good idea to the have the Buses enter the New Bus Station via New Street, which is the side street which runs Parallel to the current Entrance to the Bus Station, and for that to work, you'd have to dig up the Pavement to then open up that Street on the A690, so Buses can Enter.

I would then have Anglian Home Improvements which is on the Corner of the Entrance to the Current Bus Station relocate elsewhere within the City Centre of Durham, so that Building can be knocked down, to further open up more Space for the New Bus Station.

And then Knock Down the Methodist Church and the Current Bus Station in Stages whilst the New Ones is in Development, Only way off top of my Head that I can see Durham Council moving the Bus Station closer to the Roundabout.
Malarkey
23 Apr 2014, 2:08 pm #46

Just a thought for the New Durham Bus Station, would it be a good idea to the have the Buses enter the New Bus Station via New Street, which is the side street which runs Parallel to the current Entrance to the Bus Station, and for that to work, you'd have to dig up the Pavement to then open up that Street on the A690, so Buses can Enter.

I would then have Anglian Home Improvements which is on the Corner of the Entrance to the Current Bus Station relocate elsewhere within the City Centre of Durham, so that Building can be knocked down, to further open up more Space for the New Bus Station.

And then Knock Down the Methodist Church and the Current Bus Station in Stages whilst the New Ones is in Development, Only way off top of my Head that I can see Durham Council moving the Bus Station closer to the Roundabout.

cbma06

23 Apr 2014, 2:22 pm #47
Has anybody got any links to the proposed plans for Durham Bus Station, I cant remember seeing any plans submitted to the council planning section.

cbma06
23 Apr 2014, 2:22 pm #47

Has anybody got any links to the proposed plans for Durham Bus Station, I cant remember seeing any plans submitted to the council planning section.

Adrian

23 Apr 2014, 3:26 pm #48
(23 Apr 2014, 2:22 pm)cbma06 Has anybody got any links to the proposed plans for Durham Bus Station, I cant remember seeing any plans submitted to the council planning section.

There's nothing on the Durham Planning Portal yet. The post code to check for is DH1 4SG.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
23 Apr 2014, 3:26 pm #48

(23 Apr 2014, 2:22 pm)cbma06 Has anybody got any links to the proposed plans for Durham Bus Station, I cant remember seeing any plans submitted to the council planning section.

There's nothing on the Durham Planning Portal yet. The post code to check for is DH1 4SG.

23 Apr 2014, 7:52 pm #49
(22 Apr 2014, 10:20 pm)benambro Do you think they could do something like Eldon Square, highlighting when a bay is free, and if the bus stand the bus is allocated to they could either; drop off people at a different stand for drop off only, or if a close bay is free drive to that one (unless its the same service, and if it is a service that is on time and the one in the bay is late, that bus could turn around and cover for the late bus).

From observation last week Eldon Square was terrible. The taxi rank was virtually empty yet taxis were parked up along the kerb where buses traditionally dropped off, with the drivers just stood about chatting! If they moved into the rank the buses could have set down there rather than have to wait for a space in the bus station.
Roland Pratt
23 Apr 2014, 7:52 pm #49

(22 Apr 2014, 10:20 pm)benambro Do you think they could do something like Eldon Square, highlighting when a bay is free, and if the bus stand the bus is allocated to they could either; drop off people at a different stand for drop off only, or if a close bay is free drive to that one (unless its the same service, and if it is a service that is on time and the one in the bay is late, that bus could turn around and cover for the late bus).

From observation last week Eldon Square was terrible. The taxi rank was virtually empty yet taxis were parked up along the kerb where buses traditionally dropped off, with the drivers just stood about chatting! If they moved into the rank the buses could have set down there rather than have to wait for a space in the bus station.

Jimmi

01 May 2014, 7:16 pm #50
Durham bus station plans horrible and totally inappropriate - MP

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/11...iate___MP/
Jimmi
01 May 2014, 7:16 pm #50

Durham bus station plans horrible and totally inappropriate - MP

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/11...iate___MP/

Kuyoyo

01 May 2014, 7:35 pm #51
Quote:The MP said she was not convinced Durham needed a new bus station

That statement shows just how much she knows about Durham despite being their MP...
Kuyoyo
01 May 2014, 7:35 pm #51

Quote:The MP said she was not convinced Durham needed a new bus station

That statement shows just how much she knows about Durham despite being their MP...

Adrian

01 May 2014, 7:52 pm #52
(01 May 2014, 7:35 pm)Kuyoyo That statement shows just how much she knows about Durham despite being their MP...

Where's that 'like' button? Smile

As someone who has used Durham Bus Station just about every day for the past 10 years, I can honestly say that Durham absolutely needs a new bus station. The current one is a complete embarrassment, poorly designed, and surrounded by empty units. The first thing that pedestrians are greeted with when going to enter, is a sheltered doorway full of smokers. Disgusting.

I'm in her constituency (and her Labour CLP branch), so I'll write to her about what she's written. I'm interested to see whether it's her own views, party views, or views of her constituents. We all know it should always be the latter, but usually doesn't work out that way.

Might be worth a handful of people attending if she does hold a public meeting too... Wink

Adrian
01 May 2014, 7:52 pm #52

(01 May 2014, 7:35 pm)Kuyoyo That statement shows just how much she knows about Durham despite being their MP...

Where's that 'like' button? Smile

As someone who has used Durham Bus Station just about every day for the past 10 years, I can honestly say that Durham absolutely needs a new bus station. The current one is a complete embarrassment, poorly designed, and surrounded by empty units. The first thing that pedestrians are greeted with when going to enter, is a sheltered doorway full of smokers. Disgusting.

I'm in her constituency (and her Labour CLP branch), so I'll write to her about what she's written. I'm interested to see whether it's her own views, party views, or views of her constituents. We all know it should always be the latter, but usually doesn't work out that way.

Might be worth a handful of people attending if she does hold a public meeting too... Wink

Jimmi

01 May 2014, 8:07 pm #53

Obviously not.

For ages there has been buckets scattered across the bus station because water is leaking in (rain or Shine!)

There's not enough space to queue, if you want service 7 you often have to queue outside and the long queue for the 7 means the 20/20A stand is inaccessible.

What a welcome sight Durham Bus Station is to tourists seeing people in Addidas tracksuits huddled up smoking their tabs and drinking Strongbow blocking you from entering/exiting the bus station. The reactions I've seen from people staying at Eden Arms arriving in Durham Bus Station on service 7 is hilarious, many of them must be thinking, this can't be Durham! Big Grin
Jimmi
01 May 2014, 8:07 pm #53

Obviously not.

For ages there has been buckets scattered across the bus station because water is leaking in (rain or Shine!)

There's not enough space to queue, if you want service 7 you often have to queue outside and the long queue for the 7 means the 20/20A stand is inaccessible.

What a welcome sight Durham Bus Station is to tourists seeing people in Addidas tracksuits huddled up smoking their tabs and drinking Strongbow blocking you from entering/exiting the bus station. The reactions I've seen from people staying at Eden Arms arriving in Durham Bus Station on service 7 is hilarious, many of them must be thinking, this can't be Durham! Big Grin

Adrian

01 May 2014, 8:12 pm #54
(01 May 2014, 8:07 pm)Jimmi Obviously not.

Yeah the queues are a bloody nightmare. The 7 and X1 being together often means the queue is almost out the door. Same issue with the 21 at the other end!

Adrian
01 May 2014, 8:12 pm #54

(01 May 2014, 8:07 pm)Jimmi Obviously not.

Yeah the queues are a bloody nightmare. The 7 and X1 being together often means the queue is almost out the door. Same issue with the 21 at the other end!

Jimmi

01 May 2014, 8:27 pm #55
(01 May 2014, 8:12 pm)aureolin Yeah the queues are a bloody nightmare. The 7 and X1 being together often means the queue is almost out the door. Same issue with the 21 at the other end!

Service 7 queue often is out the door.

Another annoyance is the stand next to the No. 7 stand (for Services 22/24/43) if those services arrive early or late and two buses want to be on that stand the bus pulls onto the No. 7 stand which means the 7 has to pull onto the wrong stand, or wait until it can get on any stand and depart late. Today is the first time in over a fortnight the 7 has stopped on the correct stand when I've boarded the service. One day the 7 had to pull onto a stand at practically the opposite end of the bus station.
Jimmi
01 May 2014, 8:27 pm #55

(01 May 2014, 8:12 pm)aureolin Yeah the queues are a bloody nightmare. The 7 and X1 being together often means the queue is almost out the door. Same issue with the 21 at the other end!

Service 7 queue often is out the door.

Another annoyance is the stand next to the No. 7 stand (for Services 22/24/43) if those services arrive early or late and two buses want to be on that stand the bus pulls onto the No. 7 stand which means the 7 has to pull onto the wrong stand, or wait until it can get on any stand and depart late. Today is the first time in over a fortnight the 7 has stopped on the correct stand when I've boarded the service. One day the 7 had to pull onto a stand at practically the opposite end of the bus station.

Kuyoyo

02 May 2014, 8:33 pm #56
Having been to Durham today, I managed to photo the plans that are on-display in the window and can be seen below

.jpg
DSCF5318.JPG
Size: 582.5 KB / Downloads: 73

.jpg
DSCF5320.JPG
Size: 547.6 KB / Downloads: 57
Kuyoyo
02 May 2014, 8:33 pm #56

Having been to Durham today, I managed to photo the plans that are on-display in the window and can be seen below

.jpg
DSCF5318.JPG
Size: 582.5 KB / Downloads: 73

.jpg
DSCF5320.JPG
Size: 547.6 KB / Downloads: 57

Adrian

02 May 2014, 8:45 pm #57
(02 May 2014, 8:33 pm)Kuyoyo Having been to Durham today, I managed to photo the plans that are on-display in the window and can be seen below

I had a look myself and the plans not only have the potential of a new bus station, but more importantly, they'd really clean up North Road.

Adrian
02 May 2014, 8:45 pm #57

(02 May 2014, 8:33 pm)Kuyoyo Having been to Durham today, I managed to photo the plans that are on-display in the window and can be seen below

I had a look myself and the plans not only have the potential of a new bus station, but more importantly, they'd really clean up North Road.

Malarkey

02 May 2014, 9:38 pm #58
I'm confused how would Services 7 and X21 etc coming from Darlington and Bishop Auckland enter the Main Bus Station, would they have go up Sutton Street and around and down to Enter, as there is no Left Turn into the Bus Station if they were to continue down the Road as they do now towards the Roundabout which will obviously be Removed.
Malarkey
02 May 2014, 9:38 pm #58

I'm confused how would Services 7 and X21 etc coming from Darlington and Bishop Auckland enter the Main Bus Station, would they have go up Sutton Street and around and down to Enter, as there is no Left Turn into the Bus Station if they were to continue down the Road as they do now towards the Roundabout which will obviously be Removed.

02 May 2014, 9:51 pm #59
(02 May 2014, 9:38 pm)NEBCD Malarkey I'm confused how would Services 7 and X21 etc coming from Darlington and Bishop Auckland enter the Main Bus Station, would they have go up Sutton Street and around and down to Enter, as there is no Left Turn into the Bus Station if they were to continue down the Road as they do now towards the Roundabout which will obviously be Removed.
I'd imagine they would go up to the traffic lights alongside the arch and turn right from what I can see.

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
northern156
02 May 2014, 9:51 pm #59

(02 May 2014, 9:38 pm)NEBCD Malarkey I'm confused how would Services 7 and X21 etc coming from Darlington and Bishop Auckland enter the Main Bus Station, would they have go up Sutton Street and around and down to Enter, as there is no Left Turn into the Bus Station if they were to continue down the Road as they do now towards the Roundabout which will obviously be Removed.
I'd imagine they would go up to the traffic lights alongside the arch and turn right from what I can see.

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]

Malarkey

02 May 2014, 9:59 pm #60
(02 May 2014, 9:51 pm)northern156 I'd imagine they would go up to the traffic lights alongside the arch and turn right from what I can see.

Yeah but there no Red Arrow on the Plans to indicate this, hence why I was baffled and assumed they'd go up and round, plus if they do to the Traffic Lights, what if there is Traffic waiting to go up the Road the 21 goes up towards Chester in the oncoming traffic lane it will no end of Havoc trying to turn Left into the Bus Station, And it'll be even worse at Peak Times.
Malarkey
02 May 2014, 9:59 pm #60

(02 May 2014, 9:51 pm)northern156 I'd imagine they would go up to the traffic lights alongside the arch and turn right from what I can see.

Yeah but there no Red Arrow on the Plans to indicate this, hence why I was baffled and assumed they'd go up and round, plus if they do to the Traffic Lights, what if there is Traffic waiting to go up the Road the 21 goes up towards Chester in the oncoming traffic lane it will no end of Havoc trying to turn Left into the Bus Station, And it'll be even worse at Peak Times.

Pages (20): Previous 1 2 3 420 Next

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average