Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Durham Bus Stn

Durham Bus Stn

Durham Bus Stn

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average

Pages (20): 1 2 320 Next
citaro5284

07 Feb 2014, 6:01 pm #1
Looks like they want to give it a bit of an uplift.....

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...am-6682720
citaro5284
07 Feb 2014, 6:01 pm #1

Looks like they want to give it a bit of an uplift.....

Michael

07 Feb 2014, 6:03 pm #2
(07 Feb 2014, 6:01 pm)citaro5284 Looks like they want to give it a bit of an uplift.....

Thank god, its a terrible bus station, needs doing up badly

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
07 Feb 2014, 6:03 pm #2

(07 Feb 2014, 6:01 pm)citaro5284 Looks like they want to give it a bit of an uplift.....

Thank god, its a terrible bus station, needs doing up badly

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

gtom

Banned

07 Feb 2014, 6:06 pm #3
Doesn't help it opens up onto North Road which is the arse end carbuncle of a beautiful city like Durham (well that and the IPS Offices)
gtom
07 Feb 2014, 6:06 pm #3

Doesn't help it opens up onto North Road which is the arse end carbuncle of a beautiful city like Durham (well that and the IPS Offices)

Adrian

07 Feb 2014, 6:26 pm #4
(07 Feb 2014, 6:06 pm)gtom Doesn't help it opens up onto North Road which is the arse end carbuncle of a beautiful city like Durham (well that and the IPS Offices)

Both the bus station and and North Road are complete shit holes. There are no other words to describe them. It's all good and well saying that they'll invest £5m in it, but it won't remove the scratters. A bit like the Galleries development.

IPS move in the next year or so (new development over the river) so it won't be a problem soon.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
07 Feb 2014, 6:26 pm #4

(07 Feb 2014, 6:06 pm)gtom Doesn't help it opens up onto North Road which is the arse end carbuncle of a beautiful city like Durham (well that and the IPS Offices)

Both the bus station and and North Road are complete shit holes. There are no other words to describe them. It's all good and well saying that they'll invest £5m in it, but it won't remove the scratters. A bit like the Galleries development.

IPS move in the next year or so (new development over the river) so it won't be a problem soon.

CatsFast101

Unregistered

07 Feb 2014, 7:13 pm #5
This is an a step in the right direction, tbh I'd like to see a new bus station completely for Durham as the current area is just awful. Once inside it feels a bit run down, but outside from North Road it looks terrible.
On the subject of a possible new bus station there's not really many sites for a new one is there.
CatsFast101
07 Feb 2014, 7:13 pm #5

This is an a step in the right direction, tbh I'd like to see a new bus station completely for Durham as the current area is just awful. Once inside it feels a bit run down, but outside from North Road it looks terrible.
On the subject of a possible new bus station there's not really many sites for a new one is there.

Adrian

07 Feb 2014, 7:17 pm #6
(07 Feb 2014, 7:13 pm)CatsFast101 This is an a step in the right direction, tbh I'd like to see a new bus station completely for Durham as the current area is just awful. Once inside it feels a bit run down, but outside from North Road it looks terrible.

Will be in the same location I would have thought, but if they demolished the empty shops and offices joined to it, there'd be a lot more space to work with.

Adrian
07 Feb 2014, 7:17 pm #6

(07 Feb 2014, 7:13 pm)CatsFast101 This is an a step in the right direction, tbh I'd like to see a new bus station completely for Durham as the current area is just awful. Once inside it feels a bit run down, but outside from North Road it looks terrible.

Will be in the same location I would have thought, but if they demolished the empty shops and offices joined to it, there'd be a lot more space to work with.

gtom

Banned

08 Feb 2014, 12:07 am #7
(07 Feb 2014, 7:17 pm)aureolin Will be in the same location I would have thought, but if they demolished the empty shops and offices joined to it, there'd be a lot more space to work with.

Imagine this will involve compulsory purchase orders? Potentially costly!
gtom
08 Feb 2014, 12:07 am #7

(07 Feb 2014, 7:17 pm)aureolin Will be in the same location I would have thought, but if they demolished the empty shops and offices joined to it, there'd be a lot more space to work with.

Imagine this will involve compulsory purchase orders? Potentially costly!

Adrian

08 Feb 2014, 7:38 am #8
(08 Feb 2014, 12:07 am)gtom Imagine this will involve compulsory purchase orders? Potentially costly!

My understanding is that they already own the freehold.

Adrian
08 Feb 2014, 7:38 am #8

(08 Feb 2014, 12:07 am)gtom Imagine this will involve compulsory purchase orders? Potentially costly!

My understanding is that they already own the freehold.

Andreos1

08 Feb 2014, 8:37 am #9
(08 Feb 2014, 7:38 am)aureolin My understanding is that they already own the freehold.

I presumed similar.
If the Milburngate shopping centre is asit used to be, plenty space for businesses to re-locate.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
08 Feb 2014, 8:37 am #9

(08 Feb 2014, 7:38 am)aureolin My understanding is that they already own the freehold.

I presumed similar.
If the Milburngate shopping centre is asit used to be, plenty space for businesses to re-locate.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

08 Feb 2014, 9:24 pm #10
I think it has been talked about for years now, there was ideas and plans being floated all the time I lived in Durham(1997-2001)...

That Bus Station is dangerous imo, more buses have hit the wall coming off the middle stands than I care to remember and seen buses reverse into other buses as it can be a real tight squeeze getting out...

North Road is a Skidmark on kegs of Durham...they should pull the Bus Station and the top end of North Road down and completely rebuild a brand new bus and coach station it's place
MrFozz
08 Feb 2014, 9:24 pm #10

I think it has been talked about for years now, there was ideas and plans being floated all the time I lived in Durham(1997-2001)...

That Bus Station is dangerous imo, more buses have hit the wall coming off the middle stands than I care to remember and seen buses reverse into other buses as it can be a real tight squeeze getting out...

North Road is a Skidmark on kegs of Durham...they should pull the Bus Station and the top end of North Road down and completely rebuild a brand new bus and coach station it's place

tyresmoke

09 Feb 2014, 12:06 am #11
Have to agree as a driver its a bloody nightmare to go in and out of. Thankfully I don't do X1s very often.... Got one next week though, our morning trip that just does Durham and back.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
09 Feb 2014, 12:06 am #11

Have to agree as a driver its a bloody nightmare to go in and out of. Thankfully I don't do X1s very often.... Got one next week though, our morning trip that just does Durham and back.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

09 Feb 2014, 2:39 pm #12
It doesn't seem like it is in the 21st century with the amount of people it has that use it but the significant lack of space. I do agree it doesn't put a great first impression of the city out.

However, to me the area generally looks too filled up anyway? Looks like it will be a challenge to redevelop it; I'll certainly look forward to diagrams etc.

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
northern156
09 Feb 2014, 2:39 pm #12

It doesn't seem like it is in the 21st century with the amount of people it has that use it but the significant lack of space. I do agree it doesn't put a great first impression of the city out.

However, to me the area generally looks too filled up anyway? Looks like it will be a challenge to redevelop it; I'll certainly look forward to diagrams etc.

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]

16 Mar 2014, 12:52 pm #13
Work on the new bus station in Durham is expected to start soon, expected to take 18 months to complete. I can only but imagine the utter chaos that's going to be caused.
palatine3833
16 Mar 2014, 12:52 pm #13

Work on the new bus station in Durham is expected to start soon, expected to take 18 months to complete. I can only but imagine the utter chaos that's going to be caused.

Adrian

16 Mar 2014, 1:25 pm #14
(16 Mar 2014, 12:52 pm)palatine3833 Work on the new bus station in Durham is expected to start soon, expected to take 18 months to complete. I can only but imagine the utter chaos that's going to be caused.

Any plans of it anywhere? I'd assume services would use a mixture of Sutton Street, and then North Road/Millburngate as a temporary measure. Still be utter chaos as you say though.

Adrian
16 Mar 2014, 1:25 pm #14

(16 Mar 2014, 12:52 pm)palatine3833 Work on the new bus station in Durham is expected to start soon, expected to take 18 months to complete. I can only but imagine the utter chaos that's going to be caused.

Any plans of it anywhere? I'd assume services would use a mixture of Sutton Street, and then North Road/Millburngate as a temporary measure. Still be utter chaos as you say though.

Andreos1

16 Mar 2014, 1:34 pm #15
(16 Mar 2014, 1:25 pm)aureolin Any plans of it anywhere? I'd assume services would use a mixture of Sutton Street, and then North Road/Millburngate as a temporary measure. Still be utter chaos as you say though.

Beat me to it!
Was just about to say the same thing - maybe adding that a couple of stands in the bus station are taken out at a time for work, rather than shut the whole place down completely (if only to aid the surrounding area).

Andreos1
16 Mar 2014, 1:34 pm #15

(16 Mar 2014, 1:25 pm)aureolin Any plans of it anywhere? I'd assume services would use a mixture of Sutton Street, and then North Road/Millburngate as a temporary measure. Still be utter chaos as you say though.

Beat me to it!
Was just about to say the same thing - maybe adding that a couple of stands in the bus station are taken out at a time for work, rather than shut the whole place down completely (if only to aid the surrounding area).

cbma06

16 Mar 2014, 2:15 pm #16
(16 Mar 2014, 1:34 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Beat me to it!

Cant find anything about proposed applications for anything to do with Durham Bus Station on County Durham Planning Applications?.

cbma06
16 Mar 2014, 2:15 pm #16

(16 Mar 2014, 1:34 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Beat me to it!

Cant find anything about proposed applications for anything to do with Durham Bus Station on County Durham Planning Applications?.

Andreos1

16 Mar 2014, 2:27 pm #17
(16 Mar 2014, 2:15 pm)cbma06 Cant find anything about proposed applications for anything to do with Durham Bus Station on County Durham Planning Applications?.

The only thing I can find (apart from newspaper reports from the budget meeting), is this: http://www.cyclescape.org/issues/957-dur...evelopment

Andreos1
16 Mar 2014, 2:27 pm #17

(16 Mar 2014, 2:15 pm)cbma06 Cant find anything about proposed applications for anything to do with Durham Bus Station on County Durham Planning Applications?.

The only thing I can find (apart from newspaper reports from the budget meeting), is this: http://www.cyclescape.org/issues/957-dur...evelopment

cbma06

16 Mar 2014, 3:17 pm #18
(16 Mar 2014, 2:27 pm)Andreos Constantopolous The only thing I can find (apart from newspaper reports from the budget meeting), is this: http://www.cyclescape.org/issues/957-dur...evelopment

The County Durham Plan has been ongoing for a few years but nothing concrete at present its mostly up in the air with chit chat, it states that the Durham bus station will be relocated, but where could it go?

Cant see nothing happening with Durham bus station for at least years to come. Just wish Sunderland Interchange got blown away at least then their would try and build the bus station with so called bricks and maybe a Middlesbrough design bus station instead.

cbma06
16 Mar 2014, 3:17 pm #18

(16 Mar 2014, 2:27 pm)Andreos Constantopolous The only thing I can find (apart from newspaper reports from the budget meeting), is this: http://www.cyclescape.org/issues/957-dur...evelopment

The County Durham Plan has been ongoing for a few years but nothing concrete at present its mostly up in the air with chit chat, it states that the Durham bus station will be relocated, but where could it go?

Cant see nothing happening with Durham bus station for at least years to come. Just wish Sunderland Interchange got blown away at least then their would try and build the bus station with so called bricks and maybe a Middlesbrough design bus station instead.

Kuyoyo

16 Mar 2014, 3:25 pm #19
(16 Mar 2014, 3:17 pm)cbma06 The County Durham Plan has been ongoing for a few years but nothing concrete at present its mostly up in the air with chit chat, it states that the Durham bus station will be relocated, but where could it go?

Funny, I rank Park Lane along with Middlesbrough and Gateshead as one of the better laid-out Bus Stations in the North East. Admittedly it could do with being enclosed but then the same could be said about Bishop Auckland 'Bus Station'.
Kuyoyo
16 Mar 2014, 3:25 pm #19

(16 Mar 2014, 3:17 pm)cbma06 The County Durham Plan has been ongoing for a few years but nothing concrete at present its mostly up in the air with chit chat, it states that the Durham bus station will be relocated, but where could it go?

Funny, I rank Park Lane along with Middlesbrough and Gateshead as one of the better laid-out Bus Stations in the North East. Admittedly it could do with being enclosed but then the same could be said about Bishop Auckland 'Bus Station'.

cbma06

16 Mar 2014, 3:40 pm #20
(16 Mar 2014, 3:25 pm)Kuyoyo Funny, I rank Park Lane along with Middlesbrough and Gateshead as one of the better laid-out Bus Stations in the North East. Admittedly it could do with being enclosed but then the same could be said about Bishop Auckland 'Bus Station'.

I would of preferred if Sunderland Bus station was built on the orginally proposed site between Green Terrace and Crowtree Road where the multi storey car park and Debenhams is built now, at least it would be in twinned with the bridges shopping complex if the council knocked down leisure centre at the same time as their knocked down the old bus station (the layout of the proposed bus station was going to be coming in from Green Terrace and exit out on Crowtree road with the bus stands as lanes), But the council and Nexus opted for park Lane because of the new metro station and Civic Centre nearby.

cbma06
16 Mar 2014, 3:40 pm #20

(16 Mar 2014, 3:25 pm)Kuyoyo Funny, I rank Park Lane along with Middlesbrough and Gateshead as one of the better laid-out Bus Stations in the North East. Admittedly it could do with being enclosed but then the same could be said about Bishop Auckland 'Bus Station'.

I would of preferred if Sunderland Bus station was built on the orginally proposed site between Green Terrace and Crowtree Road where the multi storey car park and Debenhams is built now, at least it would be in twinned with the bridges shopping complex if the council knocked down leisure centre at the same time as their knocked down the old bus station (the layout of the proposed bus station was going to be coming in from Green Terrace and exit out on Crowtree road with the bus stands as lanes), But the council and Nexus opted for park Lane because of the new metro station and Civic Centre nearby.

Pages (20): 1 2 320 Next

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average