Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Passenger Focus

Passenger Focus

Passenger Focus

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (4): 1 2 3 4 Next
gtom

Banned

26 Mar 2014, 10:45 am #2
(26 Mar 2014, 10:05 am)eezypeazy The Passenger Focus survey results are announced today.

Some points from that survey.

Fare paying passengers - Only 27% were v satisfied and 38% were satisfied.

Pass holders (conc) were 90% satisfied (95% on GNE)

The whole survey is skewed by the inclusion of non fare paying passengers

Some scores for GNE have actually dropped. Anyone downloading, GNE's breakdown is on page 90 (ironic eh!)
gtom
26 Mar 2014, 10:45 am #2

(26 Mar 2014, 10:05 am)eezypeazy The Passenger Focus survey results are announced today.

Some points from that survey.

Fare paying passengers - Only 27% were v satisfied and 38% were satisfied.

Pass holders (conc) were 90% satisfied (95% on GNE)

The whole survey is skewed by the inclusion of non fare paying passengers

Some scores for GNE have actually dropped. Anyone downloading, GNE's breakdown is on page 90 (ironic eh!)

eezypeazy

26 Mar 2014, 10:53 am #3
(26 Mar 2014, 10:45 am)gtom Some scores for GNE have actually dropped. Anyone downloading, GNE's breakdown is on page 90 (ironic eh!)

Which scores have dropped compared with the previous year? By how much? And how many?
Edited 26 Mar 2014, 10:53 am by eezypeazy.
eezypeazy
26 Mar 2014, 10:53 am #3

(26 Mar 2014, 10:45 am)gtom Some scores for GNE have actually dropped. Anyone downloading, GNE's breakdown is on page 90 (ironic eh!)

Which scores have dropped compared with the previous year? By how much? And how many?

Adrian

26 Mar 2014, 12:41 pm #4

Whilst the results look good for a company, it must be said that they don't represent a true proportion of customers. The average base size is listed as 693. Is this on average how many responses were received for each question?

If so, GNE make claim to 71,000,000 passenger journeys. We'll assume that's an average per annum. So if we divide that by operational days (363), we get a daily average of 195,592 passenger journeys. So does the survey only represent the views of approximately 0.35% in any one given day?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
26 Mar 2014, 12:41 pm #4

Whilst the results look good for a company, it must be said that they don't represent a true proportion of customers. The average base size is listed as 693. Is this on average how many responses were received for each question?

If so, GNE make claim to 71,000,000 passenger journeys. We'll assume that's an average per annum. So if we divide that by operational days (363), we get a daily average of 195,592 passenger journeys. So does the survey only represent the views of approximately 0.35% in any one given day?

Andreos1

26 Mar 2014, 2:58 pm #5

You seem to be posting with increasing regularity again eezypeazy.

Thanks for this, will have a look later on at it.
Hopefully, there will have been a broad range of people (paying and free) who have contributed as well as seeing an increase in happiness with the abc1 commuters who weren't too happy according to last years report.

If GNE listened to arguably their most import customers, then the abc1s will be a lot happier.
(26 Mar 2014, 12:41 pm)aureolin Whilst the results look good for a company, it must be said that they don't represent a true proportion of customers. The average base size is listed as 693. Is this on average how many responses were received for each question?

Going from your figures, it appears the '90% of our customers are satisfied' line, is based on just over 1/3 of their passengers over a day!

I wonder what the other 2/3 of passengers think?

Just a general question to everyone on the forum - but has anyone taken part or seen the researchers out on the buses this year?
Not sure anyone was approached at all last year.
Edited 29 Mar 2014, 9:00 am by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
26 Mar 2014, 2:58 pm #5

You seem to be posting with increasing regularity again eezypeazy.

Hopefully, there will have been a broad range of people (paying and free) who have contributed as well as seeing an increase in happiness with the abc1 commuters who weren't too happy according to last years report.

If GNE listened to arguably their most import customers, then the abc1s will be a lot happier.
(26 Mar 2014, 12:41 pm)aureolin Whilst the results look good for a company, it must be said that they don't represent a true proportion of customers. The average base size is listed as 693. Is this on average how many responses were received for each question?

Going from your figures, it appears the '90% of our customers are satisfied' line, is based on just over 1/3 of their passengers over a day!

Just a general question to everyone on the forum - but has anyone taken part or seen the researchers out on the buses this year?

26 Mar 2014, 3:39 pm #6
(26 Mar 2014, 2:58 pm)Andreos Constantopolous You seem to be posting with increasing regularity again eezypeazy.

Hopefully, there will have been a broad range of people (paying and free) who have contributed as well as seeing an increase in the abc1 commuters who weren't too happy according to last years report.

The other 2/3 probably don't care or know that their complaints or compliments won't be answered or dealt with. I mean, with this employment system now, the whole first warning and final warning thing, probably about ten complaints have to be put in before they even think about looking at the employees data, that probably goes for most companies! I have never seen an inspector or a manager 'out and about on the buses' like the website stresses they do. Most managers just sit in their offices and work on their desktops. I've once put a formal complaint in about the way a clerical staff member spoke to me, and I got that standard email back saying 'it would be dealt with', still see him out and about! It drives me up the wall, thank the lord for Bus Users!
R852 PRG
26 Mar 2014, 3:39 pm #6

(26 Mar 2014, 2:58 pm)Andreos Constantopolous You seem to be posting with increasing regularity again eezypeazy.

Hopefully, there will have been a broad range of people (paying and free) who have contributed as well as seeing an increase in the abc1 commuters who weren't too happy according to last years report.

The other 2/3 probably don't care or know that their complaints or compliments won't be answered or dealt with. I mean, with this employment system now, the whole first warning and final warning thing, probably about ten complaints have to be put in before they even think about looking at the employees data, that probably goes for most companies! I have never seen an inspector or a manager 'out and about on the buses' like the website stresses they do. Most managers just sit in their offices and work on their desktops. I've once put a formal complaint in about the way a clerical staff member spoke to me, and I got that standard email back saying 'it would be dealt with', still see him out and about! It drives me up the wall, thank the lord for Bus Users!

Adrian

26 Mar 2014, 4:03 pm #7

Not even 1/3. It's 0.35%. So what do the other 99.65% think?

I've been given a form once, but that was about two years ago. I wasn't happy the way it was handed to me. Just a blunt "fill this in". No explanation, introduction, or nothing.

Adrian
26 Mar 2014, 4:03 pm #7

Not even 1/3. It's 0.35%. So what do the other 99.65% think?

I've been given a form once, but that was about two years ago. I wasn't happy the way it was handed to me. Just a blunt "fill this in". No explanation, introduction, or nothing.

eezypeazy

26 Mar 2014, 4:23 pm #8
(26 Mar 2014, 4:03 pm)aureolin Not even 1/3. It's 0.35%. So what do the other 99.65% think?

haven't you lot heard of sampling techniques?

If the sample wasn't statistically valid, do you think a respected body such as Passenger Focus would dare publish flawed results?

Why don't we just celebrate a fantastic industry success for once!
eezypeazy
26 Mar 2014, 4:23 pm #8

(26 Mar 2014, 4:03 pm)aureolin Not even 1/3. It's 0.35%. So what do the other 99.65% think?

haven't you lot heard of sampling techniques?

If the sample wasn't statistically valid, do you think a respected body such as Passenger Focus would dare publish flawed results?

Adrian

26 Mar 2014, 4:26 pm #9
(26 Mar 2014, 4:23 pm)eezypeazy haven't you lot heard of sampling techniques?

I might consider that if it was actually a success worth celebrating.

What percentage of those 71 million journeys were surveyed?

Adrian
26 Mar 2014, 4:26 pm #9

(26 Mar 2014, 4:23 pm)eezypeazy haven't you lot heard of sampling techniques?

I might consider that if it was actually a success worth celebrating.

What percentage of those 71 million journeys were surveyed?

Andreos1

26 Mar 2014, 4:31 pm #10

Well spotted!

Andreos1
26 Mar 2014, 4:31 pm #10

Well spotted!

26 Mar 2014, 5:20 pm #11
I think GNE offer a good service. OK, like every business out there they have their flaws but they do try. They still have that local feel within GNE now despite the days of Go Ahead Gateshead and Coastline being long gone. I regularly see drivers from Percy Main depot who have been there since the days of the Wright Pathfinders going around on the 325 and 326 in Coastline colours.
Davey Bowyer
26 Mar 2014, 5:20 pm #11

I think GNE offer a good service. OK, like every business out there they have their flaws but they do try. They still have that local feel within GNE now despite the days of Go Ahead Gateshead and Coastline being long gone. I regularly see drivers from Percy Main depot who have been there since the days of the Wright Pathfinders going around on the 325 and 326 in Coastline colours.

MurdnunoC

26 Mar 2014, 5:25 pm #12
(26 Mar 2014, 3:28 pm)Marcus Wouldn't it be great if GNE had a page on Simply Go where unhappy passengers could debate about drivers being ignorant or buses being late? THEN someone might listen to what they have to say because the website would crash! lol

They do. It's called the GNE Facebook page and it's accessible through the Simply Go website.
MurdnunoC
26 Mar 2014, 5:25 pm #12

(26 Mar 2014, 3:28 pm)Marcus Wouldn't it be great if GNE had a page on Simply Go where unhappy passengers could debate about drivers being ignorant or buses being late? THEN someone might listen to what they have to say because the website would crash! lol

They do. It's called the GNE Facebook page and it's accessible through the Simply Go website.

Adrian

26 Mar 2014, 5:28 pm #13
(26 Mar 2014, 3:39 pm)Marcus The other 2/3 probably don't care or know that their complaints or compliments won't be answered or dealt with. I mean, with this employment system now, the whole first warning and final warning thing, probably about ten complaints have to be put in before they even think about looking at the employees data, that probably goes for most companies! I have never seen an inspector or a manager 'out and about on the buses' like the website stresses they do. Most managers just sit in their offices and work on their desktops. I've once put a formal complaint in about the way a clerical staff member spoke to me, and I got that standard email back saying 'it would be dealt with', still see him out and about! It drives me up the wall, thank the lord for Bus Users!

My original comments were never aimed at one particular operator. I've made my views on Passenger Focus clear before, and I was just using this annual report as another opportunity to do that. Smile I can't blame the operators trying to have a sing and dance about it, but it really doesn't register with anyone outside of that company. It's seen as nothing more than an annual ego-realignment exercise.

I am glad the operators choose to use an independent body to survey their customers, rather than carrying out an internal based exercise. I just feel that the "respected" Passenger Focus don't go nearly as far enough.

How about using meaningful methods of collating passenger views, rather than using some obscure "sampling technique" that impresses nobody but a couple of suits sitting in front of a PowerPoint presentation?
  • Hold a series of meet the management sessions in each area that services cover. Make those sessions accessible to everyone, including those that work. Survey those that attend.
  • Implement a feedback system for all customer services tickets raised. Offer callers the opportunity to do the same after their call.
  • Have managers regularly use services and survey those using them.
  • Make the survey relevant and to the point. The Passenger Focus one is too in depth.
  • Randomly visit 'hot' bus stops (i.e. those that have high loadings), and survey those waiting for buses.

This is a lot more personal than someone from a independent company dumping a form on you, without any explanation.

Adrian
26 Mar 2014, 5:28 pm #13

(26 Mar 2014, 3:39 pm)Marcus The other 2/3 probably don't care or know that their complaints or compliments won't be answered or dealt with. I mean, with this employment system now, the whole first warning and final warning thing, probably about ten complaints have to be put in before they even think about looking at the employees data, that probably goes for most companies! I have never seen an inspector or a manager 'out and about on the buses' like the website stresses they do. Most managers just sit in their offices and work on their desktops. I've once put a formal complaint in about the way a clerical staff member spoke to me, and I got that standard email back saying 'it would be dealt with', still see him out and about! It drives me up the wall, thank the lord for Bus Users!

My original comments were never aimed at one particular operator. I've made my views on Passenger Focus clear before, and I was just using this annual report as another opportunity to do that. Smile I can't blame the operators trying to have a sing and dance about it, but it really doesn't register with anyone outside of that company. It's seen as nothing more than an annual ego-realignment exercise.

I am glad the operators choose to use an independent body to survey their customers, rather than carrying out an internal based exercise. I just feel that the "respected" Passenger Focus don't go nearly as far enough.

How about using meaningful methods of collating passenger views, rather than using some obscure "sampling technique" that impresses nobody but a couple of suits sitting in front of a PowerPoint presentation?
  • Hold a series of meet the management sessions in each area that services cover. Make those sessions accessible to everyone, including those that work. Survey those that attend.
  • Implement a feedback system for all customer services tickets raised. Offer callers the opportunity to do the same after their call.
  • Make the survey relevant and to the point. The Passenger Focus one is too in depth.
  • Randomly visit 'hot' bus stops (i.e. those that have high loadings), and survey those waiting for buses.

This is a lot more personal than someone from a independent company dumping a form on you, without any explanation.

26 Mar 2014, 6:00 pm #14
(26 Mar 2014, 5:28 pm)aureolin My original comments were never aimed at one particular operator. I've made my views on Passenger Focus clear before, and I was just using this annual report as another opportunity to do that. Smile I can't blame the operators trying to have a sing and dance about it, but it really doesn't register with anyone outside of that company. It's seen as nothing more than an annual ego-realignment exercise.

I'd say that would be a really good idea.
Davey Bowyer
26 Mar 2014, 6:00 pm #14

(26 Mar 2014, 5:28 pm)aureolin My original comments were never aimed at one particular operator. I've made my views on Passenger Focus clear before, and I was just using this annual report as another opportunity to do that. Smile I can't blame the operators trying to have a sing and dance about it, but it really doesn't register with anyone outside of that company. It's seen as nothing more than an annual ego-realignment exercise.

I'd say that would be a really good idea.

Andreos1

26 Mar 2014, 8:11 pm #15

Or, implement a lot of the things they are promising under a VPA...

Andreos1
26 Mar 2014, 8:11 pm #15

Or, implement a lot of the things they are promising under a VPA...

26 Mar 2014, 8:35 pm #16
(26 Mar 2014, 4:42 pm)citaro5284 You just do not have a clue. Many a driver has been dismissed after a single complaint if it was serious I can assure you.

I was thinking about the ones people put on the Facebook page about the bus driving past the stop or the driver tutting if they didn't have change. I know they can get dismissed for making rude or inappropriate gestures. I've known one who got dismissed after shouting at a customer and just plain rudeness.
R852 PRG
26 Mar 2014, 8:35 pm #16

(26 Mar 2014, 4:42 pm)citaro5284 You just do not have a clue. Many a driver has been dismissed after a single complaint if it was serious I can assure you.

I was thinking about the ones people put on the Facebook page about the bus driving past the stop or the driver tutting if they didn't have change. I know they can get dismissed for making rude or inappropriate gestures. I've known one who got dismissed after shouting at a customer and just plain rudeness.

Andreos1

27 Mar 2014, 11:36 am #17
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...ce=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The Chronicle have picked up on the Passenger Focus findings.

Interesting quote from Mr Carr.
Not sure the figures from .35% of your passengers and a big drop in opinion re prices is much to sing about...

Andreos1
27 Mar 2014, 11:36 am #17

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...ce=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The Chronicle have picked up on the Passenger Focus findings.

Interesting quote from Mr Carr.
Not sure the figures from .35% of your passengers and a big drop in opinion re prices is much to sing about...

eezypeazy

27 Mar 2014, 2:50 pm #18
The Chronicle report is wrong - the journalist has used the previous year's figures.

GNE's 'value for money' figure is now 66 per cent - that means that, using a valid representative sample, verified by an independent passenger watchdog, two thirds of GNE's passengers perceive the Company as offering 'value for money'.
Edited 27 Mar 2014, 2:52 pm by eezypeazy.
eezypeazy
27 Mar 2014, 2:50 pm #18

The Chronicle report is wrong - the journalist has used the previous year's figures.

GNE's 'value for money' figure is now 66 per cent - that means that, using a valid representative sample, verified by an independent passenger watchdog, two thirds of GNE's passengers perceive the Company as offering 'value for money'.

Adrian

27 Mar 2014, 3:13 pm #19
(27 Mar 2014, 2:50 pm)eezypeazy The Chronicle report is wrong - the journalist has used the previous year's figures.

Well that's great. All these operators can give themselves a big pat on the back if they honestly think a pitiful response (less than half a percent in this example) to a survey represents their customers opinion.

Adrian
27 Mar 2014, 3:13 pm #19

(27 Mar 2014, 2:50 pm)eezypeazy The Chronicle report is wrong - the journalist has used the previous year's figures.

Well that's great. All these operators can give themselves a big pat on the back if they honestly think a pitiful response (less than half a percent in this example) to a survey represents their customers opinion.

eezypeazy

27 Mar 2014, 3:18 pm #20
No, it's not a 'pitiful response'... it's a representative sample... please look at the Sampling article I linked to earlier.

If you have issues with the sampling, then take it up with Passenger Focus!
eezypeazy
27 Mar 2014, 3:18 pm #20

No, it's not a 'pitiful response'... it's a representative sample... please look at the Sampling article I linked to earlier.

If you have issues with the sampling, then take it up with Passenger Focus!

Pages (4): 1 2 3 4 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average