North East Buses
Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off-topic bus chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Bus Related Outings and Reviews (/showthread.php?tid=307)

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - TEN 6083 - 27 Apr 2016

Had an outing today to Stockton On Tees for Arriva's Frequenta 7 launch, here's the rundown. Times displayed are what are on the tickets.

08:53 10 Prudhoe Front Street - Newcastle Eldon Square (GNE 6073)

Not my favourite of the TEN branded B9's but every time I have gone to get the 10/10B lately it's always seems to be this one.

09:56 X10 Newcastle Eldon Square - Stockton High Street (GNE 6045)

I noticed after boarding this that the seat cover has been replaced with one of a different pattern with grey on rather than the blue ones that are normally standard on these, journey wasn't the most exciting with most of it being A19. The X10 on a Sunday has more variety of scenery with going the X9 route combined with the X10 route. I alighted at Stockton High Street which stopped in a different place than it did on Sunday when I travelled to Middlesbrough, and headed to where the Arriva Frequenta 7 was situated further up the high street. The bus Arriva were using was 2807 for the event. I got some photos of this then headed to M&S for some food as I hadn't had breakfast, then I headed back to the bus stop.

11:28 X12 Stockton High Street - Durham Bus Station (ANE 1441)

I didn't fancy waiting around for 20 minutes For the X10 so i decided to get the X12 to get the scenic route back. This was around 5 mins late to Stockton. The X12 is quite a nice route but got very busy and people had to stand when on the way into Durham so I decided to alight there for a change of scenery.

12:35 X21 Durham Bus Station - Gateshead Interchange (GNE 6304)

The bus was quiet compared to the X12, I sat upstairs at one of the tables to get more legroom which I had to myself for the entire journey. I was intending on carrying on to Newcastle and returning via Hexham on the Tynedale Xpress, but had a phone call from my mam who was at the MetroCentre getting shopping so I alighted at Gateshead to get the X66.

13:21 X66 Gateshead Interchange - MetroCentre Interchange (GNE 5392)

This as usual was busy with the only seats available with no one else sitting on were the seats nearest to the doors which I don't really like sitting on as they are so hard. I then alighted at MetroCentre and returned home via car.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Andreos1 - 27 Apr 2016

I won't quote all of your post - but your mention of the X9/10 seats reminded me of the graffiti moquette that one of them has.
Upstairs, above the driver.

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - TEN 6083 - 27 Apr 2016

(27 Apr 2016, 5:30 pm)Andreos1 I won't quote all of your post - but your mention of the X9/10 seats reminded me of the graffiti moquette that one of them has.
Upstairs, above the driver.

Yes that's what it was on 6045

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - NK53 TKT - 30 Apr 2016

I went for a short outing today in the west of Newcastle:
Q3 11:05 Great Park
11:31 Newgate Street GNE 8313

39 11:40 Monument
12:00 A69 stop before Lemington Road Ends SNE 12082

13 12:12 A69 stop before Lemington Road Ends
12:36 Throckley Roundabout ANE 2871

X84 12:43 Throckley Roundabout
12:50 Denton Burn Library GNE 5231

11 12:59 Denton Burn Library
13:20 Pilgrim Street SNE 22031

Q3 13:33 Market Street
14:01 Great Park

A decent outing with nothing really new but can I just say some of the roads the 13 go down are probably too small for a car Tongue
Also 22031 is the worst ALX300 in the Stagecoach fleet by far Dodgy

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - BusLoverMum - 30 Apr 2016

(30 Apr 2016, 3:37 pm)NK53 TKT I went for a short outing today in the west of Newcastle:
Q3 11:05 Great Park
11:31 Newgate Street GNE 8313

39 11:40 Monument
12:00 A69 stop before Lemington Road Ends SNE 12082

13 12:12 A69 stop before Lemington Road Ends
12:36 Throckley Roundabout ANE 2871

X84 12:43 Throckley Roundabout
12:50 Denton Burn Library GNE 5231

11 12:59 Denton Burn Library
13:20 Pilgrim Street SNE 22031

Q3 13:33 Market Street
14:01 Great Park

A decent outing with nothing really new but can I just say some of the roads the 13 go down are probably too small for a car Tongue
Also 22031 is the worst ALX300 in the Stagecoach fleet by far Dodgy

You might have passed us. We were stood on market Street waiting for the elusive 97 until about 13:35

(30 Apr 2016, 3:42 pm)BusLoverMum You might have passed us. We were stood on market Street waiting for the elusive 97 until about 13:35

What time were you on Market Street from?

(30 Apr 2016, 3:44 pm)NK53 TKT What time were you on Market Street from?

From about quarter past. We gave up when it started pickling down. The 97a we jumped on was apparently 40 minutes late.

(30 Apr 2016, 3:47 pm)BusLoverMum From about quarter past. We gave up when it started pickling down. The 97a we jumped on was apparently 40 minutes late.

I was running for 8313 on the Q3 towards Great Park at 13:33 dressed in a navy blue coat. I went down Market Street on stagecoach 22031 on an 11 at 13:26

0We set off this morning with no agenda other than to try a few of the local Gateshead routes and, maybe, have a nosey at some bus depots on the way. We did better than we were bargaining for.

We arrived into Durham on our 22 at just after 10am. Our vehicle was 1595, so quiet without the NSAs. Uneventful journey other than being waved past a stopped convoy of horse boxes on Silent bank. Even that is relatively uneventful, as that bit of Co Durham probably has more horses and sheep than people living in it.

An X21 arrived only minutes after we did. It was packed - upstairs completely full and we ended up sitting at the back, facing backwards, by the emergency exit. People ended up standing up at Chester le Street, which is a bit bonkers, considering how frequent the 21 is.

Sitting downstairs was convenient, anyhow, as we alighted at Gateshead Interchange and raced around to stand C for the 93, only to find that the timetable I'd downloaded was wrong and we needed stand A. No biggie, as the 11:02 was a few minutes late, anyhow.

We sat near the back, behind the loops, so we had a clear view. Spotted one of the new purple streetlites parked up at Saltmeadows, along with something big, yellow and much, much older. The rest of the journey took us through the its of Stoneygate and Felling that I used to avoid like the plague when I lived around the area [shudder]. The GCT depot had its fleet of orange presidents all perfectly lined up, though. Big'un approved - once I'd got him to notice them (he just stared at my finger, when I pointed - blooming ASD - so I ended up turning his head to have a look!)

After a short wait in the sunshine, at Heworth, we hopped on the 11:32 27 into Newcastle. By the time we reached Market Street, I was famished and busting for the loo, so we walked around to M&S to sort all that out.

We at our lunch in the luxurious surroundings of Eldon Square bus station - taking care not to sit near to anyone sufficiently challenged in the soap and water department to ruin the fine dining experience. My sarnie was an Orkney Crab, Avocado and lettuce in a malted grain bloomer. Glad it was 20% off because it was meh, at best.

We then stopped off at Fatface, to pick up a few things for me and Littl'un in the sale (they had some nice shirts for Husband, but I'm too much of a shortarse to reach!) then we walked around to Market Street, intending to get the 97 to the Metrocentre.

Unfortunately, the pre-match chaos had already set in. We arrived at about 1:15 and big'un got a few nice photos  (one of the more scenic parts of that end of town) before his battery ran out. 1:23 came and went and the 97 didn't. Three 54s later, a 97A arrived. We stood back, but then it started to pickle down, so we hopped on and figured that it would be drier to wait at Gateshead. Unfortunately, I overheard the driver mentioning to another one that he was 41 minutes late. When another 97A pulled in directly behind the one we'd just stepped off, we changed plan and headed for the 49.

This was busy, but big'un enjoyed the route, particularly as we weaved in and out of familiar places.

The metrocentre was heaving, but we needed the loos again and I fancied a cuppa from Pret. Big'un had an apple juice.

By the time we got back to the bus station, we were a bit miffed that we appeared to have missed anything interesting, but 4963 pulled in 20 minutes late on the X88, so we opted for that. Our 3rd Solar of the day! It wasn't a bad ride, though didn't really get a chance to be stretched until it reached the A1231. As a bonus, it left the Metrocentre the long, long way around, right behind Riverside, so Big'un got to see into his 3rd depot/bus works of the day. Noticed a couple of Blaydon Racers parked up - also think I noticed a WTX parked up near the testing bay, when we passed the front way, the first time.

An additional bonus was the sight of First Potteries Optsre Solo W327 DWX being towed up the A1!

We arrived at the Galleries just after 3 - just as the 50 pulled away. Bum.

So we queued at stand A for an alternative that would tske us in the right sort of direction. Would have liked the 8 to CLS, but big'un decided he wanted the X1. No X1 arrived, in about 15 minutes, though, and when the 8 turned up, I persuaded him that the X1 would be horribly busy and this would be a better choice. And it was a good choice, as this leg of that journey is always pleasant, with plenty to look at when my mobile signal inevitably cuts out! The only downer was the occasional juddery gears. I don't know if this is peculiar to the C&Cs, or maybe a few drivers, but it's something I've only ever experienced on that bath of Streetlites.

The first Durham bound bus to arrive at CLS turned out to be the 50 after the one we missed. 5259. We caught it knowing that we had little chance of connecting with the 22 at Durham.

Now I usually love Omnicities, but this was dreadful. Hideously loud (Atlantean type whining) and moving at snails pace. We watched a streetdeck get further and further ahead of us on the A167. Even going through Durham, everything was overtaking us. We must have been doing less than 20mph past the hospital.

We had 20 minutes to kill, in Durham and we were peckish, so we first shrieked at the prices of stuff in McColls, then went to get a tray of chips to share, instead. The "I don't like chips" boy ate most of them. Growing lad.

Our final bus home was 1521. A nice finish to the day.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - citaro5284 - 30 Apr 2016

Canny little day out there BLM. Aye McColls is a shop where you need to take your Bank Manager in with you!

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - TEN 6083 - 30 Apr 2016

Today had an outing with the other half to Consett and back via Hexham and Newcastle, times are what is on the tickets.

11:42 10 Prudhoe Waterworld - Hexham Bus Station (GNE 6079)

Parked my car at Prudhoe Waterworld as I didn't fancy driving to Consett due to being market day on a Saturday.

12:42 689 Hexham Bus Station - Consett Bus Station (GNE 644)

As I have said before this is one of GNE's nicer routes they have. Got off at Consett Bus Station at around 13:35 and we went to Barry's Bargain Store as this is why we went here. Then we went back to the bus station and were planning on waiting around half an hour for the 689 to return to Hexham, but the 45 was waiting at the stand.

13:56 45 Consett Bus Station - Ebchester St Ebbas Way (GNE 5417)

This was quite busy but we managed to get a seat together, which I found quite comfortable. We were planning on getting this to Rowlands Gill and change to the 47 to High Spen and change to the 11 but after looking through the the timetables thought it be too much hassle so we got off at Ebchester and waited for the 689.

14:37 689 Ebchester St Ebbas Way - Hexham Hospital (GNE 644)

Got this back to Hexham after a 20 minute wait and alighted at the hospital as we wanted to go into M&S which is behind Hexham Hospital, but they didn't have what we went for so we decided to go to Newcastle. Nearly missed the stop as NSA's weren't working on 644 (were working on the way to Consett on the same bus) and I thought the bus stop was after the hospital.

15:38 85 Hexham Bus Station - Newcastle Eldon Square (ANE 4662)

We were going to get the Tynedale Xpress to Newcastle but the 85 turned up earlier so we got this to Newcastle. Was surprised that this particular OmniCity has leather seats as I don't travel on Arriva buses much. We got to Newcastle Eldon Square and alighted and went to M&S and they had what we wanted so we then went back to the bus station as we wanted to get out of Newcastle before the football match finished.

16:37 10B Newcastle Eldon Square - Prudhoe Waterworld (GNE 6072)

Got this back and the wifi wasn't working in Newcastle city centre but started working once we got to Ryton, but as my phone has a good signal I didn't see the point as we were nearly home. Got off at Prudhoe Waterworld and returned home.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 02 May 2016

This Saturday I'll be venturing to Sheffield. Just booked my train tickets Smile

Main aim for the day is to catch Optare Metrodecker demonstrator YJ16DFG which is on trial at First South Yorkshire.

Here's hoping for the heat wave we are apparently supposed to be getting.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - northern156 - 02 May 2016

(02 May 2016, 5:34 pm)Jimmi This Saturday I'll be venturing to Sheffield. Just booked my train tickets Smile

Main aim for the day is to catch Optare Metrodecker demonstrator YJ16DFG which is on trial at First South Yorkshire.

Here's hoping for the heat wave we are apparently supposed to be getting.

Trams as well, Jimmi? Smile

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 02 May 2016

(02 May 2016, 8:00 pm)northern156 Trams as well, Jimmi? Smile

We'll see... Proves how little I know about the transport scene in Sheffield, I had to do an image search to see what they look like! Big Grin

Hopefully I'll be back on track with my Flickr uploads by then, was hoping to upload more shots from yesterday but I decided to catch up on everyone else's uploads from the last two days which took around 3 hours to view so I sure as hell can't be arsed uploading any now! Tongue

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Multi21 - 02 May 2016

We had a short one today

Middlesbrough to Darlington-X66 via Hartburn- Darlington Pulsar 1509. Couple of taped off seats due to a water leak inside I think!

Darlington to Durham - 7 - Darlington Enviro 400 7540 - Plug sockets weren't working, Canny run the 7 may have to route learn it so I can help at Darlington.

Durham to Middlesbrough - X12 - Stockton Pulsar 1453 - Team Stockton working bit smokey, bit hot under the bonnet but other than that a smooth ride home

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Kuyoyo - 02 May 2016

(02 May 2016, 8:28 pm)Jimmi We'll see... Proves how little I know about the transport scene in Sheffield, I had to do an image search to see what they look like! Big Grin

Hopefully I'll be back on track with my Flickr uploads by then, was hoping to upload more shots from yesterday but I decided to catch up on everyone else's uploads from the last two days which took around 3 hours to view so I sure as hell can't be arsed uploading any now! Tongue

Jimmi, theses are the trams
[Image: 24505254470_3d8dbfa76f_c.jpg]Stagecoach Supertram 106 by Tony Kuy, on Flickr

Watch out for this one as well
[Image: 17414813993_69ff071828_c.jpg]Stagecoach Supertram 120 by Tony Kuy, on Flickr

You might also find it handy to download these maps, or you can pick them up at the single remaining City Centre travel Centre on Arundel Gate (on the City Centre on those downloads - by stands AG4/5)
http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=17179873590
http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=17179873591

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - BusLoverMum - 02 May 2016

We managed a very rare thing, today - an outing only on GNE services. We'd bought explorers, too, but couldn't risk not having the right tickets if we'd missed our last bus.

Arrived in Durham at around 10am on 657 on the 59. We had this bus to ourselves for the first 5 minutes or so, but by Bowburn, it was pretty much full.

After helping out a few people confused by nonsensical displays in Durham bus station we left on 6060 on the 21, about 5 minutes late. This was absolutely packed for most of the journey. Noticed that this vehicle has the new visuals but not the new voice-over for the NSAs. Big'un was a little dismayed when we missed out Blackett street and approached Eldon Square via St Mary's place and Haymarket. I explained that there might be a problem on Blackett street. Turned out there had been an incident on Percy Street, causing it to be completely cordoned off.

We had lunch at Northside diner and did a bit of shopping - a new coat for me and some smellies from Lush. Everything was much more pleasant than on Saturday as it was so much less crowded and more relaxed.

After a good leg stretch, we headed back to Eldon Square and caught a slightly late X30 to Stanley. A Northern Omnidekka was doing this journey. We went upstairs and had room to spread out a bit. The Omnidekkas don't half shift, but they're complete and utter boneshakers. I though I'd avoid the back pain by sitting in a better seat than last time I made  along journey on one, but no, I'm in flaming agony, now! Unusually, I found the staircase easier to get down than up, btw. They're steeper than I like, but the pole is well placed in the centre of the spiral. Instead I stumbled on the way to the stairs, as my legs were a bit unsteady from the vibrations.(Oi!)

Despite running a little late, we only had a 5 minute connection to a 16A back to Durham. These are definitely the better Mercs in the GNE Fleet. Very soothing engine noises and no problems at all with the rather lumpy landscape between Stanley and Durham.

We arrived in Durham at about 3 - so no later than if we'd waited for the next Angel and it had been on time. After a wander around a few charity shops, we opted to catch the 59 again. The driver was a little less cheerful than this morning, but doing the same 2hr route for the 3rd time in a day probably does that to you! Busy again, all the way to Cassop, then there was just us two and an old guy. Turned out we could have done this day on GNE day tickets, but had we missed this 59, it's a 2 hour wait for the next one!

The Indigo solo on the 59 is a much more comfortable ride than the Scarlet band E200s on the 58, though you don't half get thrown around on the bends and some of the dips in the road. Some of the roads were still partially flooded from all this week's rain, which explains why the bus was splattered with mud all up one side, the second time we caught it!

We passed the 22 that we didn't wait the extra 12 minutes for in Wheatley Hill - it was an odd working, too, which amused Big'un.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Charles41 - 03 May 2016

Here’s my trip on Saturday, it was a marvellous day out…

Arriva Trident 7514 08.33 service X15 Newcastle-Belford

Bus departed on time, I’d put on my big coat as it felt cold when I left the house. I soon regretted it as the day warmed up. This was a lively thrash up to Alnwick. The bus was busy with tourists and employees of Alnwick castle and gardens heading to work. I had a seat upstairs and had to listen to some obnoxious tattooed pr*c* being horrible to his little daughter who was about five years old. The scenery was good on the Morpeth to Alnwick section. At Alnwick most of the passengers alighted and I grabbed the seat above the driver. After a change of drivers we passed through beautiful scenery on the way to Belford. The snow covered Cheviots were particularly impressive.

At Belford I alighted at the edge of village and walked over the fields to Travelsure’s yard. The Patterson family had no objection to me looking round and I was able to get some great photos of the 20 vehicles in the yard. An interesting find was an 18 year old LDV minibus parked right at the back out of use. There as also a K prefix registered Dart in the yard which would appear to be preserved. Travelsure’s newer coaches look very impressive in their various liveries. Also spotted were the firm’s two recently acquired Solos which wear all over white.

I thanked the Pattersons for letting me look round and headed to Barons Minibuses on the nearby industrial estate. Their unit was locked up but later in the day I spotted their two Ford Transits in Alnwick. I then made my way back over fields of sheep to Belford passing the impressive Belford Hall which has been converted into flats. This used to be the home of the Atkinson-Clark family who owned the entire village and all the land around it. At Belford I visited community transport operator Bell View Community Trust who have a small fleet of two VW Crafters and a Mercedes Vito. I hadn’t spotted and of their vehicles before so this was a good find. Next I walked around the corner to the local school. This has a small minibus fleet consisting of a Fiat Ducato and a Ford Transit. The vehicles were easily spotted from the street. Time was getting on so I headed back to the market square where a small crafts fair was taking place.

Arriva Trident 7514 11.33 service X15 Belford to Alnwick Lionheart Enterprise Park

7514 arrived on time on it’s return trip from Berwick. This bus was lightly used and I sat upstairs. A deaf old man was listening to Radio 1 on a transistor radio (yes they still exist!). He seemed to like Cake By The Ocean as he turned it up to full blast when the song came on! We seemed to be back in Alnwick in no time at all, the weather was getting better and better. We stopped at Warrenford on way. Like Belford, this also used to be an estate village. The nearby mansion of Twizell Hall has been in possession of the Maling family for a number of generations. The family made their fortune as glass makers on Wearside.

Alnwick bus station was busy on arrival with Travelsure, Glen Valley and Spirit Buses all being present in addition to Arriva. I was pleased to see a good loading at the Spirit Buses stand. They now have a guided tour on their Alwinton circular route. If you haven’t tried out this run yet I strongly recommend it for the breath-taking views. You can buy day tickets for Spirit Buses which are great value. After a brief halt at Alnwick we were soon on our way again. I alighted at the edge of town with the old guy still engrossed in his transistor!

A short walk brought me to Rothbury Motors. Their manager was happy to let me look around and take photos of the 19 vehicles present. Again I was able to get cracking photos. This fleet has expanded recently and they have a very smart contingent of Bovas. A rare vehicle here is a 60 seat Turkish manufactured BMC which is painted yellow and used for school contracts. Withdrawn stock present was a Ford Transit and Mercedes 811D. After thanking the staff I walked into Alnwick. On way I passed Spirit Buses’ Enviro 200 named Sprit of Alwinton and was able to get some good photos of it.

Next I visited Howard Snaith’s Alnwick operating centre but this was empty and appeared to be no longer in use. This location used to be really busy before the Snaiths lost their Northumberland County Council schools contracts. I decided to check out Gardiners-NMC garage which had 3 DAFs parked up. There were no staff present so I left promptly without taking any photos. A short walk from here brought me to community bus operator North East Equality and Diversity Limited (NEED). This charity has a number of transport contracts with local voluntary organisations. Their yard had 6 minibuses and 2 mid buses present. I was able to photograph these from the perimeter. The car park of the new Aldi is also a good spot as it overlooks the yard.

Directly opposite NEED’s yard is Kitsons Windows & Conservatories. The Kennedy family park their vehicles here. Two members of this family hold separate o-licences. The yard is visible from the adjacent old railway line which is now a public footpath. Their smart Mercedes 1323L was present on this visit. I then had a look at Alnwick’s small ambulance station and was pleased to find a new WAS bodied Renault Master which is used on patient transport duties. I was able to get some good photos of this and the other Renault Master parked outside.

Barter Books was my next port of call. I did not have much time on this visit but found a good bargain. This was Ian Allan’s 1985 Municipals and PTEs fleet list which I picked up for £3.60. This book is fascinating as it gives details of the fleets of long departed local operators such as Hartlepool and Darlington Borough Transport and Tyne & Wear PTE prior to de-regulation of the bus industry. It is sad to see so many local council-owned bus operators have now folded in face of competition. Darlington Borough Transport makes a great case-study of the downside of de-regulation. Hartlepool Borough Council interestingly still hold a PSV o-licence and park their vehicles in the old municipal bus garage. Most of their fleet is now used on welfare and community work.

After leaving Barter Books I went and had my packed lunch at Farmers Folly. This monument has an interesting history. The Duke of Northumberland (who owns a large swathe of Alnwick and the surrounding countryside) did not raise his tenant farmers’ rents during the Napoleonic Wars which were times of economic hardship. To show their gratitude the local farmers clubbed together and paid for the monument to be constructed. The Duke therefore decided that the farmers could afford to pay more and raised their rents after all! I’ll let you decide the moral of the story…

Arriva Enviro 7530 14.02 service X18 Alnwick – Amble

I caught this at Alnwick bus station after getting some OK photos and looking around the town. Alnwick also had a market on but it was a lot bigger than Belford’s. In the town I spotted a Van Hool bodied Volvo belonging to Gillingham of Catchgate. This vehicle was painted blue and grey as opposed to the usual yellow for Gillingham’s vehicles. The journey to Amble was a great ride through beautiful countryside. There are lovely views of Alnmouth and Warkworth Castle. I’d recommend this route at any time of the year. I could hear a steam train at the Aln Valley Railway but did not see it.

At Amble I walked to the industrial estate. Here I spotted one of the Craigg family’s vehicles (a Volvo B10M). The Craiggs used to be one of largest independent bus and coach operators in Northumberland. Their garage was at nearby Radcliffe, they also had a bus operation in Ashington which traded as Wansbeck Motor Services. They sold out in the 1990s to Northumbria Motor Services (now Arriva) I believe. The Radcliffe yard is now an agricultural merchant’s premises. A branch of the family continues as Craiggs Travel with a five vehicle coach fleet.

My main objective however was Longstaffs Travel Limited. They have a large garage on the edge of the industrial estate. This firm is also expanding and now have an o-licence for 8 vehicles. Six vehicles were present on this visit including two impressive Neoplans. I was able to photograph these through the perimeter fence as the yard was locked up. A brisk walk brought me back into Amble town centre just in time for my next bus. Here the Curse of Arriva stuck as it was 15 minutes late.

Arriva Enviro 7529 15.36 service X18 Amble – Newcastle

This service turned up at 15.51 just as I debating to return to Newcastle via Ashington on the X20. It was lightly used, the driver was surly and gave no apology or explanation for the late running. He was determined to make up time and thrashed his was along the country roads. It was a rather bumpy ride as we battered our way across the Northumbrian countryside from one former mining village to another. We passed the former Longstaffs yard at Broomhill which is now a small housing estate. The scars of open cast coal mining are beginning to heal and the route from Amble to Morpeth is a lot more pleasant than when I was a child. Another ten years and it should be a very nice journey. We arrived in Morpeth 10 minutes late and took a few passengers. The driver did not wait long at the stand.

From Morpeth to Newcastle our driver went hell for leather, by god he was going to make that 10 minutes up. We hurtled down the A1 at breakneck speed overtaking cars, buses and lorries. It was a non-stop thrash-fest until we got to the roundabout at North Gosforth. From then it was straight into town with brief stops near the rugby ground and Regent Centre. We arrived 3 minutes late at Haymarket after a last ditch charge towards the Civic Centre overtaking Stagecoach, GNE and other Arriva vehicles. I have to admit it was bloody good fun!

At Haymarket the match was coming out and everyone looked relieved, 1-0 win against Crystal Palace. I made my way through the throng of supporters and walked home to clear my head. I bet Benitez could get the X18 to run on time! It was a great day and it felt amazing to be back on the road again.

Hope you enjoyed the review.

Charles…

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Cobalt271 - 03 May 2016

(03 May 2016, 12:23 pm)Charles41 Here’s my trip on Saturday, it was a marvellous day out…

Arriva Trident 7514 08.33 service X15 Newcastle-Belford

Bus departed on time, I’d put on my big coat as it felt cold when I left the house. I soon regretted it as the day warmed up. This was a lively thrash up to Alnwick. The bus was busy with tourists and employees of Alnwick castle and gardens heading to work. I had a seat upstairs and had to listen to some obnoxious tattooed pr*c* being horrible to his little daughter who was about five years old. The scenery was good on the Morpeth to Alnwick section. At Alnwick most of the passengers alighted and I grabbed the seat above the driver. After a change of drivers we passed through beautiful scenery on the way to Belford. The snow covered Cheviots were particularly impressive.

At Belford I alighted at the edge of village and walked over the fields to Travelsure’s yard. The Patterson family had no objection to me looking round and I was able to get some great photos of the 20 vehicles in the yard. An interesting find was an 18 year old LDV minibus parked right at the back out of use. There as also a K prefix registered Dart in the yard which would appear to be preserved. Travelsure’s newer coaches look very impressive in their various liveries. Also spotted were the firm’s two recently acquired Solos which wear all over white.

I thanked the Pattersons for letting me look round and headed to Barons Minibuses on the nearby industrial estate. Their unit was locked up but later in the day I spotted their two Ford Transits in Alnwick. I then made my way back over fields of sheep to Belford passing the impressive Belford Hall which has been converted into flats. This used to be the home of the Atkinson-Clark family who owned the entire village and all the land around it. At Belford I visited community transport operator Bell View Community Trust who have a small fleet of two VW Crafters and a Mercedes Vito. I hadn’t spotted and of their vehicles before so this was a good find. Next I walked around the corner to the local school. This has a small minibus fleet consisting of a Fiat Ducato and a Ford Transit. The vehicles were easily spotted from the street. Time was getting on so I headed back to the market square where a small crafts fair was taking place.

Arriva Trident 7514 11.33 service X15 Belford to Alnwick Lionheart Enterprise Park

7514 arrived on time on it’s return trip from Berwick. This bus was lightly used and I sat upstairs. A deaf old man was listening to Radio 1 on a transistor radio (yes they still exist!). He seemed to like Cake By The Ocean as he turned it up to full blast when the song came on! We seemed to be back in Alnwick in no time at all, the weather was getting better and better. We stopped at Warrenford on way. Like Belford, this also used to be an estate village. The nearby mansion of Twizell Hall has been in possession of the Maling family for a number of generations. The family made their fortune as glass makers on Wearside.

Alnwick bus station was busy on arrival with Travelsure, Glen Valley and Spirit Buses all being present in addition to Arriva. I was pleased to see a good loading at the Spirit Buses stand. They now have a guided tour on their Alwinton circular route. If you haven’t tried out this run yet I strongly recommend it for the breath-taking views. You can buy day tickets for Spirit Buses which are great value. After a brief halt at Alnwick we were soon on our way again. I alighted at the edge of town with the old guy still engrossed in his transistor!

A short walk brought me to Rothbury Motors. Their manager was happy to let me look around and take photos of the 19 vehicles present. Again I was able to get cracking photos. This fleet has expanded recently and they have a very smart contingent of Bovas. A rare vehicle here is a 60 seat Turkish manufactured BMC which is painted yellow and used for school contracts. Withdrawn stock present was a Ford Transit and Mercedes 811D. After thanking the staff I walked into Alnwick. On way I passed Spirit Buses’ Enviro 200 named Sprit of Alwinton and was able to get some good photos of it.

Next I visited Howard Snaith’s Alnwick operating centre but this was empty and appeared to be no longer in use. This location used to be really busy before the Snaiths lost their Northumberland County Council schools contracts. I decided to check out Gardiners-NMC garage which had 3 DAFs parked up. There were no staff present so I left promptly without taking any photos. A short walk from here brought me to community bus operator North East Equality and Diversity Limited (NEED). This charity has a number of transport contracts with local voluntary organisations. Their yard had 6 minibuses and 2 mid buses present. I was able to photograph these from the perimeter. The car park of the new Aldi is also a good spot as it overlooks the yard.

Directly opposite NEED’s yard is Kitsons Windows & Conservatories. The Kennedy family park their vehicles here. Two members of this family hold separate o-licences. The yard is visible from the adjacent old railway line which is now a public footpath. Their smart Mercedes 1323L was present on this visit. I then had a look at Alnwick’s small ambulance station and was pleased to find a new WAS bodied Renault Master which is used on patient transport duties. I was able to get some good photos of this and the other Renault Master parked outside.

Barter Books was my next port of call. I did not have much time on this visit but found a good bargain. This was Ian Allan’s 1985 Municipals and PTEs fleet list which I picked up for £3.60. This book is fascinating as it gives details of the fleets of long departed local operators such as Hartlepool and Darlington Borough Transport and Tyne & Wear PTE prior to de-regulation of the bus industry. It is sad to see so many local council-owned bus operators have now folded in face of competition. Darlington Borough Transport makes a great case-study of the downside of de-regulation. Hartlepool Borough Council interestingly still hold a PSV o-licence and park their vehicles in the old municipal bus garage. Most of their fleet is now used on welfare and community work.

After leaving Barter Books I went and had my packed lunch at Farmers Folly. This monument has an interesting history. The Duke of Northumberland (who owns a large swathe of Alnwick and the surrounding countryside) did not raise his tenant farmers’ rents during the Napoleonic Wars which were times of economic hardship. To show their gratitude the local farmers clubbed together and paid for the monument to be constructed. The Duke therefore decided that the farmers could afford to pay more and raised their rents after all! I’ll let you decide the moral of the story…

Arriva Enviro 7530 14.02 service X18 Alnwick – Amble

I caught this at Alnwick bus station after getting some OK photos and looking around the town. Alnwick also had a market on but it was a lot bigger than Belford’s. In the town I spotted a Van Hool bodied Volvo belonging to Gillingham of Catchgate. This vehicle was painted blue and grey as opposed to the usual yellow for Gillingham’s vehicles. The journey to Amble was a great ride through beautiful countryside. There are lovely views of Alnmouth and Warkworth Castle. I’d recommend this route at any time of the year. I could hear a steam train at the Aln Valley Railway but did not see it.

At Amble I walked to the industrial estate. Here I spotted one of the Craigg family’s vehicles (a Volvo B10M). The Craiggs used to be one of largest independent bus and coach operators in Northumberland. Their garage was at nearby Radcliffe, they also had a bus operation in Ashington which traded as Wansbeck Motor Services. They sold out in the 1990s to Northumbria Motor Services (now Arriva) I believe. The Radcliffe yard is now an agricultural merchant’s premises. A branch of the family continues as Craiggs Travel with a five vehicle coach fleet.

My main objective however was Longstaffs Travel Limited. They have a large garage on the edge of the industrial estate. This firm is also expanding and now have an o-licence for 8 vehicles. Six vehicles were present on this visit including two impressive Neoplans. I was able to photograph these through the perimeter fence as the yard was locked up. A brisk walk brought me back into Amble town centre just in time for my next bus. Here the Curse of Arriva stuck as it was 15 minutes late.

Arriva Enviro 7529 15.36 service X18 Amble – Newcastle

This service turned up at 15.51 just as I debating to return to Newcastle via Ashington on the X20. It was lightly used, the driver was surly and gave no apology or explanation for the late running. He was determined to make up time and thrashed his was along the country roads. It was a rather bumpy ride as we battered our way across the Northumbrian countryside from one former mining village to another. We passed the former Longstaffs yard at Broomhill which is now a small housing estate. The scars of open cast coal mining are beginning to heal and the route from Amble to Morpeth is a lot more pleasant than when I was a child. Another ten years and it should be a very nice journey. We arrived in Morpeth 10 minutes late and took a few passengers. The driver did not wait long at the stand.

From Morpeth to Newcastle our driver went hell for leather, by god he was going to make that 10 minutes up. We hurtled down the A1 at breakneck speed overtaking cars, buses and lorries. It was a non-stop thrash-fest until we got to the roundabout at North Gosforth. From then it was straight into town with brief stops near the rugby ground and Regent Centre. We arrived 3 minutes late at Haymarket after a last ditch charge towards the Civic Centre overtaking Stagecoach, GNE and other Arriva vehicles. I have to admit it was bloody good fun!

At Haymarket the match was coming out and everyone looked relieved, 1-0 win against Crystal Palace. I made my way through the throng of supporters and walked home to clear my head. I bet Benitez could get the X18 to run on time! It was a great day and it felt amazing to be back on the road again.

Hope you enjoyed the review.

Charles…

I don't often comment on posts like this but it's nice that someone enjoyed visiting my neck of the woods! Good review.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Andreos1 - 03 May 2016

We need to track Keith down and get him to tell us about his 'Bus Related Outings and Reviews'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3019319/Jobless-29-year-old-fifteenth-child-ten-different-mothers.html