North East Buses
Go North East: Service Suggestions - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Service Suggestions (/showthread.php?tid=75)

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - MurdnunoC - 09 Dec 2014

From my 1974 TWPTE South Tyneside Timetable booklet:

.jpg
230.jpg
Size: 692.68 KB / Downloads: 87

Every 15 minutes too!

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - cbma06 - 10 Dec 2014

The 230 used to be service 40.

originally service 230 was split, the 230 used to go from Newcastle to Hartlepool via Sunderland on a 30 minute freq and then their was a 230 Sunderland to Middlesbrough 30 minute freq with Sunderland to Hartlepool on a 15 minute freq. later on in life the 230 was renumbered 130 Newcastle to Sunderland and when the Metro was introduced the 130 terminated at Heworth Metro. But the 230 was still kept between Sunderland and Hartlepool.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Andreos1 - 10 Dec 2014

There was also a 131 between Sunderland and Heworth.
If I remember right, it went through the North Sunderland estates - similar route to the X36

yea the new 131/135/136 started up to replace service 131/132 from the north estates.  got some timetables when their first started up,  just have to wait until the bygone era section starts up again (and Dan enters lol). Angel   

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - MrFozz - 10 Dec 2014

Was the 231 the service that went round Chester-le-Street before it reached Easington Lane...

Got on it one day when I was about 10 with a couple of pubes and pretty much had a fully developed bush by the time I got off as it took that long Big Grin

yep the 231 Newcastle-Chester-Le-Street-Fence Houses-Houghton-Easington Lane-Peterlee-Hartlepool
and the 735 Newcastle-Chester-Le-Street-Fence Houses-Houghton, both providing a 30 minute service. 735 used to go through Houghton to Seaham but wasn't profitable for Northern, so the Houghton to Seaham had to be secured with a 148 service.

Re: RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - MrFozz - 10 Dec 2014

(10 Dec 2014, 7:19 pm)cbma06 yep the 231 Newcastle-Chester-Le-Street-Fence Houses-Houghton-Easington Lane-Peterlee-Hartlepool
and the 735 Newcastle-Chester-Le-Street-Fence Houses-Houghton, both providing a 30 minute service. 735 used to go through Houghton to Seaham but wasn't profitable for Northern, so the Houghton to Seaham had to be secured with a 148 service.
It was a long old haul...

The Marathon Master would be proud of that Tongue

To give Northern their due, the 231 missed out Lumley - saving a few miles/mins.
The 735 went through Lumley.

There may have been the odd exception to that over the years like.
The old stops which the 231 called at are still standing - flags and shelters.

edit: Just to clarify - meant the stretch between Castle Dene and Back Lane on Lumley New Road.

Go North East Service Suggestions - cbma06 - 10 Dec 2014

(10 Dec 2014, 7:27 pm)Andreos1 To give Northern their due, the 231 missed out Lumley - saving a few miles/mins.

edit: Just to clarify - meant the stretch between Castle Dene and Back Lane on Lumley New Road.

Yep the 231 and 778 went passed Lumley and the 735 and 775 went through lumley.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - MurdnunoC - 10 Dec 2014

(10 Dec 2014, 7:27 pm)Andreos1 To give Northern their due, the 231 missed out Lumley - saving a few miles/mins.

Although it's since been removed, there was, up until a few years ago, a bus-stop located on Ivyway in Pelton near to The Avenue (The estate behind where the Co-op is located for those unfamiliar with the streets of Pelton)

Presumably, some bus served this bus-stop once upon a time.

Does anyone know which service?

I know Ivyway (behind community centre), but have no idea which service or indeed where the stop was.

Due to the narrow road leading out onto the main road next to the Co-op, I am guessing it did some sort of loop around Middlefield.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - MurdnunoC - 10 Dec 2014

(10 Dec 2014, 9:38 pm)Andreos1 I know Ivyway (behind community centre), but have no idea which service or indeed where the stop was.

Due to the narrow road leading out onto the main road next to the Co-op, I am guessing it did some sort of loop around Middlefield.

I think it probably came up Ernest Street (where the post-office is now) and used Ivyway to loop back round to the main road. IIRC, the stop was located on the South-side of Ivyway, and I think Ernest Street probably could've accommodated a bus in the past. 

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - chrisnorthern - 11 Dec 2014

(10 Dec 2014, 9:42 pm)AdamY I think it probably came up Ernest Street (where the post-office is now) and used Ivyway to loop back round to the main road. IIRC, the stop was located on the South-side of Ivyway, and I think Ernest Street probably could've accommodated a bus in the past. 

I have a 1986 County Durham timetable and it shows a service 741 operating 3 times a day (not Sundays) from Chester-le-Street to Pelton (Ivy Way) via Pelton Fell and Station Lane, but no indication of how the bus turned round at Pelton. I think this route finished at the time of deregulation (October 1986).
The departures from Chester were at 0915, 1215 and 1415, departures from Pelton 11 minutes later. No idea if it worked in with any other route though.
Hope that helps,
Chris

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Andreos1 - 11 Dec 2014

We have talked about Station Lane in the past, with the 733 being the only service (we found), that used it.

If it came along that way, it would make sense if it called along Front Street and up the route AdamY suggested.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - LeeCalder - 19 Dec 2014

Personally I would have a few of the old routes reinstalled through Barley Mow, for example 183 or 777

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - cbma06 - 19 Dec 2014

service 741 timetable from 1986 era:

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - gtom - 19 Dec 2014

(19 Dec 2014, 4:58 pm)leestransportphotos Personally I would have a few of the old routes reinstalled through Barley Mow, for example 183 or 777

Barley Mow has a decent-ish service with the X25 (outskirts) and the 82/83 and 23 services. There's some similar sized estates that don't get near the levels of service.

It would be nice to see Birtley get a link to Sunderland though

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - L469 YVK - 19 Dec 2014

Just saw the queue at Haymarket for the 20:45 309 and there was about 10 - 20 (could be 15-20) waiting for it. GNE should terminate the 58 in Newcastle on a night time (not Sunday daytime), re-route the 310 through Hadrian Park (evenings but not Sunday daytime), and increase both the 309 and 310 to every 30 minutes during all evenings (Monday to Sunday) and they would then run every 15 mins combined between Battle Hill and Newcastle (well 13-17 through Battle Hill)

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - MurdnunoC - 20 Dec 2014

(19 Dec 2014, 7:04 pm)cbma06 service 741 timetable from 1986 era:

Hylton Terrace? (then Ivy Way, Ernest Street...)

It'd be pretty tight getting a bus up there like. 

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - Andreos1 - 20 Dec 2014

What a strange little route.

Apart from Station Road being narrow, the rest of the streets it served aren't exactly known for their wide avenues.

Genuinely thought it would have gone into the council estate at some point.