North East Buses
2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team) - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General off-topic chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Thread: 2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team) (/showthread.php?tid=1075)

RE: 2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team) - Andreos1 - 28 May 2015

(23 Jul 2014, 7:15 pm)Andreos1 Genuinely have no idea.
Obviously the close season wheeling and dealing hasn't finished, with pre-season just starting.

It may be one or two teams clinch a signing that could change our thinking.

As for the most successful team - what would be classed as successful?
Obviously each team has it's own goals and aspirations that differ from others.

Touching on Gateshead - I am worried not all of the players Mills has brought in, are up to the standard needed to gain promotion.

Still have no idea why Magnay went.
The fact he has ended up at Grimsby, shows how he is highly regarded elsewhere.

The experience that Lester brought in on signing in January, would have been invaluable.
There isn't anyone of his ilk, to have signed.

Although Shaw has goals in him, Lewis Guy and the other striker - haven't really done it at a higher level in the several hundred games they have between them.

Rodman did impress me in the two games against Grimsby, so hopefully he can show his class.

Newcastle - they have signed a lot of players. Just hope it doesn't end in disaster. It could take them a while to settle in and Man City are first game up.

Sunderland - Are their purchases Premier League class?
Time will tell.

Boro - goodness knows...

Hartlepool - last season was a mixed bag and Hignett leaving led to a downturn in results. From pushing a Play Off Spot in early Feb, results tailed off and relegation was a possibility until the end of the season. I don't know much about their new signings, but they will miss Monkhouse and Barmby.
Luke James looks a decent player and can hopefully bag a few goals.

My predictions/comments on the season just gone.

Even though I didn't commit to predicting league finishes, the other comments seem about right.
How did others do with theirs?

2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team) - MrFozz - 28 May 2015

(28 May 2015, 8:01 am)Andreos1 Not sure the budget would stretch to Clough like.
He will be on a bigger wage than back in the day at Burton.

Would he want to step down a few levels too?

I said similar about Cooper/Hignett at the time.
Don't get down to the Vic as often as I did, but it was obvious he was out of his depth after Hignett had gone.
Similar to Martin Scott.

The problem with using his contacts as Boro, is the age and build of the players.
Appreciate the Conference is slightly different to league two, but not sure a team full of lightly built kids (presuming he would go down the same route), is the way forward.
Not too dissimilar to Ossie Ardiles in that respect and that style never really did owt for his managerial record either.

I agree about Cloughie mate...BUT, who would have thought Gateshead would go professional when they did Wink...If the money was ther, why not, but yeah, Young Nige is probably beyond Gatesheads aspirations

A signing like that would show Gateshead meant business, and if anything, I genuinely believe he could take Gateshead to the next level, if I was a Gateshead fan, his surname alone would be exciting and he could probably attract a decent standard of player too...

As for Cooper, yes, would be a good appointment too, but he seemed to work better in partnership with Craig Hignett and once Hignett left, Cooper was never the same, kinda like when Peter Taylor and Brian Clough split up, Cloughie was never the same manager after that.

RE: 2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team) - MrFozz - 28 May 2015

(28 May 2015, 8:21 am)Andreos1 My predictions/comments on the season just gone.

Even though I didn't commit to predicting league finishes, the other comments seem about right.
How did others do with theirs?
Can't remember if I posted my thoughts here last summer, but I did think

Chelsea to win the League
Boro to do something in the Championship(I don't think anyone would have predicted Bournemouth to come up)

I said Hartlepool would get relegated, I wonder what odds Ray Winstone would have offered me on there survival at Christmas '14 and was excited about Gateshead hopefully moving to the next level.

I will give a premature thought about Next season, I think Chelsea will win the League again, not confident about Sunderland now Big Dick is away, so I am predicting the now yearly tradition of the Great Escape, Newcastle won't fair much better either...

I fancy 'Boro to win the Championship and Hartlepool to push on mid-table, as for Gateshead, with the right man at the helm, I don't see why the Play-Offs could be beyond them, next season Tranmere are going to be the team to watch and I expect them to be there or there abouts next season.

Further down, Darlington should do well, we got promoted though our divisional Play-Offs, we are in the same league now as Blyth and Whitby, so a couple of local(ish) games to look forward, and we should be playing at Blackwell Meadows sometime soon as well...

Going down further I hope North Shields build on the Vase win, I read somewhere Darlo are thinking of putting a Reserve team into the Wearside League, I hope they do, I used to enjoy Wearside League Football a few years ago Big Grin

2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team) - MrFozz - 28 May 2015

Sunderland hope to hijack Clements move to Derby

Worked with both Mourinho and Carlo Ancelotti at Real Madrid and is apparantly a good prospect...

I would love to see Carlo Ancelotti come to Sunderland, ***but pigs will fly over the Stadium of Light before that happens...

EDIT:

They already do in there shiny helicopters

RE: 2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team) - Andreos1 - 28 May 2015

(28 May 2015, 8:47 am)MrFozz Can't remember if I posted my thoughts here last summer, but I did think

Chelsea to win the League
Boro to do something in the Championship(I don't think anyone would have predicted Bournemouth to come up)

I said Hartlepool would get relegated, I wonder what odds Ray Winstone would have offered me on there survival at Christmas '14 and was excited about Gateshead hopefully moving to the next level.

I will give a premature thought about Next season, I think Chelsea will win the League again, not confident about Sunderland now Big Dick is away, so I am predicting the now yearly tradition of the Great Escape, Newcastle won't fair much better either...

I fancy 'Boro to win the Championship and Hartlepool to push on mid-table, as for Gateshead, with the right man at the helm, I don't see why the Play-Offs could be beyond them, next season Tranmere are going to be the team to watch and I expect them to be there or there abouts next season.

Further down, Darlington should do well, we got promoted though our divisional Play-Offs, we are in the same league now as Blyth and Whitby, so a couple of local(ish) games to look forward, and we should be playing at Blackwell Meadows sometime soon as well...

Going down further I hope North Shields build on the Vase win, I read somewhere Darlo are thinking of putting a Reserve team into the Wearside League, I hope they do, I used to enjoy Wearside League Football a few years ago Big Grin

http://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=1075&pid=53870&highlight=rovers#pid53870

There was your positional predictions.
Can't find anything other than that.

RE: 2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team) - MrFozz - 28 May 2015

(23 Jul 2014, 2:25 pm)MrFozz Also your thoughts and predictions for the following:-

Premier Legue
Championship
League 1
League 2
Conference
FA Cup
League Cup
Champions League
Europe League

My Predictions are...
Chelsea
Nottingham Forest
Sheffield United
Bury
Brizzle Rovers
Liverpool
Man Utd
Bayern Munich
Inter Milan

So I got Chelsea right...Bury and Brizzle both got promoted, quite far out on the rest...

Will give my final predictions for next season when the fixtures are released

RE: 2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team) - Michael - 28 May 2015

(23 Jul 2014, 3:25 pm)Michael Premier League - Man City
Championship - Derby County
League 1 - Sheffield United
League 2 - Plymouth Argyle
Conference - Kidderminster Harriers
FA Cup - Chelsea
League Cup - Man u
Champions League - Real Madrid
Europe League - Wolfsburg

The Europa league is still a hard to choose as they still don't have the full qualified teams so iv'e payed it save and gone for a team already in the group stages Tongue

Well mine went tits up..... 

Not one correct as above..............................

Just been doing a search on Lee's fundraising for JJ O'Donnell

The Yanks have picked up on the story...A link below to a NBC Sport

Sunderland’s Danny Graham steps up to help fifth-tier footballer afford potentially career-saving surgery

2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team) - MrFozz - 29 May 2015

Bet Victors odds for next Heed Manager

Odds for next permanent Gateshead Manager

Robbie Fowler 33/1 [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

RE: 2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team) - Andreos1 - 29 May 2015

(29 May 2015, 8:38 am)MrFozz Bet Victors odds for next Heed Manager

Noticed James Beattie is on there too.
With the seats we had at Wembley, we could see Beattie (on BT Sport pundit duties), speak to every Gateshead player one by one after the final whistle.

Something he didn't need to do, but thought it was a nice touch.

RE: 2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team) - MurdnunoC - 29 May 2015

(29 May 2015, 8:38 am)MrFozz Bet Victors odds for next Heed Manager

What, no Paul Gascoigne? 

A local lad with previous managerial experience. I'm surprised he's not listed at 500/1 for a cheeky punt. 

RE: 2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team) - mb134 - 29 May 2015

(27 May 2015, 6:34 pm)Michael 3 Questions for everyone:

Who do you want as Sunderland manager?
Who do you want as Newcastle manager?
Who do you want as Gateshead manager?

Anyone else wanting Moyes as Newcastle manager, proven with Everton he can do wonders with a smaller budget 

RE: 2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team) - Michael - 29 May 2015

(29 May 2015, 9:22 am)mb134 Anyone else wanting Moyes as Newcastle manager, proven with Everton he can do wonders with a smaller budget 

I want him at Sunderland but he has said he doesn't want to leave Spain =( 

RE: 2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team) - Andreos1 - 29 May 2015

(29 May 2015, 9:22 am)mb134 Anyone else wanting Moyes as Newcastle manager, proven with Everton he can do wonders with a smaller budget 

Not sure.
The papers are saying he turned down Sunderland.

I think he needs to do a Steve McLaren and turn around his career at a foreign team.
He can learn a lot by doing it and of course, it is away from the spotlight.

He may even come back with a Spanish accent, like McLaren had (all be it Dutch!

RE: 2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team) - MrFozz - 29 May 2015

(29 May 2015, 9:24 am)Andreos1 Not sure.
The papers are saying he turned down Sunderland.

I think he needs to do a Steve McLaren and turn around his career at a foreign team.
He can learn a lot by doing it and of course, it is away from the spotlight.

He may even come back with a Spanish accent, like McLaren had (all be it Dutch!
https://youtu.be/2ZnoP4sUV90

Anyone remember one Joseph Barton suddenly developing a French Accent

https://youtu.be/CwkUMFk4yTo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-32898612

Didn't they say Bradford was the forgotten disaster?

(29 May 2015, 9:28 am)MrFozz https://youtu.be/2ZnoP4sUV90

Anyone remember one Joseph Barton suddenly developing a French Accent

https://youtu.be/CwkUMFk4yTo

That's the one.

RE: 2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team) - MrFozz - 29 May 2015

(29 May 2015, 9:29 am)Andreos1 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-32898612

Didn't they say Bradford was the forgotten disaster?

That's the one.
From what I read and heard over the years, Heysel was a disaster waiting to happen, it was badly managed, security was not thought through properly and while I am not trying to take any blame away from Liverpool fans, I believe they and English football were unfairly and harshly treated, it is devastating that 39 people should have died, but the issue I always found was

The area the dead were was supposed to be a neutral zone and neutral tickets ended up in the hands of Juventus fans, and I always wondered why the authorities never stopped Italians getting neutral tickets.

As for being a forgotten tragedy, Bradford seemed to be slightly forgotten as Heysel was about 3 weeks later and once Hillsborough happened, Heysel was pushed to the back of people's minds.

No tragedy should ever be 'forgotten' when we forget history may start to repeat itself.

With Heysel, there was a lot more to it than 'murderous' Liverpool fans, the authorities from UEFA to the Belgians should have took some of the blame, I am not actually sure if some Belgians were sent to Jail, I know some Liverpool fans were extradited to Belgium and sent down for the manslaughter of the 39 dead. Blaming Liverpool imo was the excuse UEFA and FIFA needed to ban English Clubs from Continental Competition, the ban also nearly extended to the England National Team as well.

2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team) - MrFozz - 29 May 2015

Something I found myself thinking about recently...

Had the series of events in the 1980's not happened the way they did, Bradford and Heysel in 1985, Hillsborough and The Taylor Report in 1989, would we still have had the new Stadia we see today, or would the likes of Roker Park be still about or were we heading towards all-seated stadia anyway, was it coming maybe a few year later than it did.

As for standing areas, I don't know why there so frowned upon, I don't think the Taylor Report said at any point Terracing was to blame for Hillsborough, it was the penning system in place and things like perimeter fencing and bad decision making by an inept man who had minimal experience at policing football matches...

Anyone else have any thought's Big Grin

(29 May 2015, 10:00 am)MrFozz Something I found myself thinking about recently...

Had the series of events in the 1980's not happened the way they did, Bradford and Heysel in 1985, Hillsborough and The Taylor Report in 1989, would we still have had the new Stadia we see today, or would the likes of Roker Park be still about or were we heading towards all-seated stadia anyway, was it coming maybe a few year later than it did.

As for standing areas, I don't know why there so frowned upon, I don't think the Taylor Report said at any point Terracing was to blame for Hillsborough, it was the penning system in place and things like perimeter fencing and bad decision making by an inept man who had minimal experience at policing football matches...

Anyone else have any thought's Big Grin

I have thought about the stadia thing for a while.

I am not sure whether it would have happened or not.
The influx of TV money from the likes of Sky, have possibly helped speed things up - but on the other side of the coin, I am not sure football would have been as marketable - with the old stadiums.

If you go back to the early days of Sky and the Premier League, there were old grounds. Oldham, Boro, Sunderland, Coventry, Southampton etc
With prize money and TV revenue, we gradually saw the stadia improve. Clubs could afford to do it.
Football became glamorous, as a result of three things: Taylor, Premier League and Sky.

There will be exceptions to the rule like, with SJP being extended the first time round via club money and a tie up with Cameron Hall (John Hall paying himself basically) and the whole ball started moving, prior to promotion into the top flight.

(29 May 2015, 10:34 am)Andreos1 I have thought about the stadia thing for a while.

I am not sure whether it would have happened or not.
The influx of TV money from the likes of Sky, have possibly helped speed things up - but on the other side of the coin, I am not sure football would have been as marketable - with the old stadiums.

If you go back to the early days of Sky and the Premier League, there were old grounds. Oldham, Boro, Sunderland, Coventry, Southampton etc
With prize money and TV revenue, we gradually saw the stadia improve. Clubs could afford to do it.
Football became glamorous, as a result of three things: Taylor, Premier League and Sky.

There will be exceptions to the rule like, with SJP being extended the first time round via club money and a tie up with Cameron Hall (John Hall paying himself basically) and the whole ball started moving, prior to promotion into the top flight.
Here is a question for you mate

Name a team who were founders of the Premier League i.e. they were involved in the meetings when the breakaway was discussed, but have never played in the division?

Don't google it [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]