North East Buses
Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers (/showthread.php?tid=2207)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - BusLoverMum - 10 Jan 2023

(10 Jan 2023, 6:13 pm)Unber43 I've been out today and i've never really heard massive complaints about the service, obviously there is a one of comment every now and then, but every bus I went on all people were doing was complaining about the disgraceful services, and the state of public transport being abysmal.

I wonder if you offered people free driving lessons how many of them would actually still chose to take the bus, my guess would be around 10%
Even if driving lessons were free (hypothetical as there is a shortage of instructors and examiners have been on strike) there is still the cost of running a car as a new driver to consider.

Apart from the people travelling regularly to work, I'm probably highly representative of the sort of people  bus companies need to woo, using the bus for leisure and shopping. I live in Durham City which is quite self contained but doesn't have the big shops. Until 3 years ago, I would head up to Newcastle a couple of time a week for odds and sods.

Several things have happened, though. The price isn't one of them. That has wavered a bit but not changed that much., ignoring the current, short term, £2 singles.

But... 

My buses have shrunk from 6 gne and 2 ane per hour to 4 and 1, and the 4 have pretty poor spacing on the return journey. On Sunday, they've become sod all and I can no longer travel direct to the Metrocentre on any day of the week. 

Quite often, those buses don't run. 

Secondly, or maybe thirdly, so many shops have closed that there is less to tempt me. I can't even pck up any nice bits from Waitrose on my way to ES bus station.

And finally, sharing a bus with smelly people coughing all over me never was pleasant. That is definitely even less appealing than 3 years ago.

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Ambassador - 12 Jan 2023

I see wor Rog was in the region today.

He managed to miss the dozens of wrong route branded GNE services but our hero did spot the 685 being run by an incorrectly branded bus and rightly chastised arriva on Twitter.

It’s almost like he’s averse to criticising the company that pays his no doubt lavish pension….

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Andreos1 - 07 Feb 2023

(12 Jan 2023, 11:32 pm)Ambassador I see wor Rog was in the region today.

He managed to miss the dozens of wrong route branded GNE services  but our hero did spot the 685 being run by an incorrectly branded bus and rightly chastised arriva on Twitter.

It’s almost like he’s averse to criticising the company that pays his no doubt lavish pension….

Just watched the Fat Boy Slim documentary and he even cropped up in that! 
Sort of. 

There was a fella from B&H who sat in a bus stop and talked about how they got drivers in at short-notice and got them to drive an impromtu night bus route, even if they didn't know the route. It was a case of getting to the end-point and getting back in to Brighton ASAP.
There was then a cut to a paper from the time and guess who was in there, being quoted and no-doubt having a moan? Our man Roger!

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - MurdnunoC - 08 Feb 2023

(07 Feb 2023, 10:53 pm)Andreos1 There was a fella from B&H who sat in a bus stop and talked about how they got drivers in at short-notice and got them to drive an impromtu night bus route, even if they didn't know the route.

Fascinating.

Didn't realise you needed a PSV licence to work at Benson and Hedges but it's nice to see an employer going the extra mile to ensure workers can get to work on time.

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Andreos1 - 08 Feb 2023

(08 Feb 2023, 3:47 pm)MurdnunoC Fascinating.

Didn't realise you needed a PSV licence to work at Benson and Hedges but it's nice to see an employer going the extra mile to ensure workers can get to work on time.

No, no. You misunderstand. 

It was to get the people who attended Fat Boy Slim home.

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - MurdnunoC - 08 Feb 2023

(08 Feb 2023, 6:59 pm)Andreos1 No, no. You misunderstand. 

It was to get the people who attended Fat Boy Slim home.

Ah. I thought it was another tobacco company trying to enter the bus market. We already have Lambert and Butler Buses based in Stella although perhaps not for long as L&B are due to attend Hillcrest House soon. 

I don't think TC stands for Tobacco Commissioner either.

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Andreos1 - 08 Feb 2023

(08 Feb 2023, 8:08 pm)MurdnunoC Ah. I thought it was another tobacco company trying to enter the bus market. We already have Lambert and Butler Buses based in Stella although perhaps not for long as L&B are due to attend Hillcrest House soon. 

I don't think TC stands for Tobacco Commissioner either.

No, although it would have been apt if they served Marlboro Crescent.

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Andreos1 - 12 Feb 2023

https://twitter.com/soult/status/1616404628228247553?t=1z7oUrY2nr6nbGdN62Qmgw&s=19

Keep meaning to share this. 
Wonder who drew inspiration from who? Did the banks inspire the bus operators or was it the other way around?

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Andreos1 - 20 Feb 2023

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64651414

Interesting read about services in The Potteries and the impact it has on the population

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - DeltaMan - 20 Feb 2023

(20 Feb 2023, 8:31 am)Andreos1 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64651414

Interesting read about services in The Potteries and the impact it has on the population
They are called Worst Group for a reason. The entire midlands region has been a joke for ages. Bad management. Simple as that

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - nova347 - 09 Sep 2023

One thing I will say is ever since the 65 has gone back to every 30 minutes, every time I see it, it's quite busy, I passed one today around 14:57, just left Seaham at 14:45, passed it at the top of the Avenue in Seaham and it was rammed and standing. Would they ever bring back the later journeys because it seems it might be a decent money maker?

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Unber43 - 09 Sep 2023

I think the 65 massively depends on the weather it gets good loading most days but when its hot its rammed and standing both ways

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Adrian - 10 Sep 2023

(09 Sep 2023, 7:11 pm)Unber43 I think the 65 massively depends on the weather it gets good loading most days but when its hot its rammed and standing both ways

Yes, much like the 50. It'll be rammed on red hot weekends like this, but other days it'll carry no more than a handful at any one time.

I think having seasonal services would work better than tampering with existing timetables, e.g. if there were a mass of folk wanting to travel from Hetton and Murton to Seaham, then run something direct and express. Even if it's just one bus operating on a two-hourly frequency.

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Unber43 - 10 Sep 2023

(10 Sep 2023, 10:08 am)Adrian Yes, much like the 50. It'll be rammed on red hot weekends like this, but other days it'll carry no more than a handful at any one time.

I think having seasonal services would work better than tampering with existing timetables, e.g. if there were a mass of folk wanting to travel from Hetton and Murton to Seaham, then run something direct and express. Even if it's just one bus operating on a two-hourly frequency.
I definetly think a Summer X50 would be needed, but the 65 not so, its pretty direct and under an hour journey aswell, but I think if anything the 65 could be increased to 20 mins during the summer time and possibily interwork with something like an X50.

X50>65>65>X50 I would say operated by CLS as they used to do the 65 aswell, and the 50 but its no longer there, so Washington would probs do it. 

Wouldn't hurt them much to trial it, like from 9am-6pm, or just weekends really, theyll have plenty of deckers over the summer

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Ambassador - 10 Sep 2023

I thought the lack of social media presence was poor today, even if it’s not GNR day. Stagecoach had diversion tweets going out, nexus were on the ball but GNE had absolutely nothing

(10 Sep 2023, 7:22 pm)Ambassador I thought the lack of social media presence was poor today, even if it’s not GNR day. Stagecoach had diversion tweets going out, nexus were on the ball but GNE had absolutely nothing
Theyve had nothing for months

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - DeltaMan - 10 Sep 2023

(10 Sep 2023, 7:22 pm)Ambassador I thought the lack of social media presence was poor today, even if it’s not GNR day. Stagecoach had diversion tweets going out, nexus were on the ball but GNE had absolutely nothing

Metro were on the ball. NEXUS were not. Compare them to West Yorkshire Metro and TfGM, who manage multimodal coverage "out of hours", all Nexus give a toss about is Metro when it comes to social media.

Metro customer service is great, they are on line from like 5am to 1am

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Adrian - 26 Oct 2023

Had to have another commute into our Newcastle office today. Every time I do this, I remember exactly why I rarely bother.

I left the office about 16.50 tonight and it wasn't until just before 19.30 that I walked through my front door. 2 hours 40 mins, for what should have been an hour at most.

First hiccup was that 6090, due at 16.58 from Market Street, decided to do a loop of the town and out without picking up passengers. Presumably regulation, due to being 15 minutes late, though arguably still could have picked up passengers and still been stuck coming down through the Bigg Market* The 17.11 56 then pulled in on time, boarded everyone, then had to tell us all to get off again because there was a fault.

Seeing as the 17.14 27 pulled in as I got off the 56, I ended up boarding that, with the intention of jumping at Heworth for a 4. That also got stuck at the Bigg Market* and we ended up 20 late at Heworth (6pm by now)

The 18.12 4 was also late, departing around 12L. Around 15L by the time we got to the Galleries. About a 15 minute wait later, and the 2A pulls in on time. A couple stops later and a short walk, and I finally make it home.

Now I get that bus operators have no real influence over traffic congestion, but they're also good at causing it. An expired 21 at the foot of John Dobson Street seemed to be causing chaos, with foremen from a nearby building site being left to manage 3-way traffic flow. They also can't do much about the Bigg Market, where there's a temporary traffic light, just down from what used to be the Pig and Whistle. That being said, it's complete and utter madness to continue to send buses through there, when they're sitting 20 minutes at a time.

If people don't have to put up with this rubbish, I don't know why they'd bother putting themselves through it.

RE: Reversing the decline in passenger numbers - Unber43 - 26 Oct 2023

(26 Oct 2023, 7:32 pm)Adrian Had to have another commute into our Newcastle office today. Every time I do this, I remember exactly why I rarely bother.

I left the office about 16.50 tonight and it wasn't until just before 19.30 that I walked through my front door. 2 hours 40 mins, for what should have been an hour at most.

First hiccup was that 6090, due at 16.58 from Market Street, decided to do a loop of the town and out without picking up passengers. Presumably regulation, due to being 15 minutes late, though arguably still could have picked up passengers and still been stuck coming down through the Bigg Market* The 17.11 56 then pulled in on time, boarded everyone, then had to tell us all to get off again because there was a fault.

Seeing as the 17.14 27 pulled in as I got off the 56, I ended up boarding that, with the intention of jumping at Heworth for a 4. That also got stuck at the Bigg Market* and we ended up 20 late at Heworth (6pm by now)

The 18.12 4 was also late, departing around 12L. Around 15L by the time we got to the Galleries. About a 15 minute wait later, and the 2A pulls in on time. A couple stops later and a short walk, and I finally make it home.

Now I get that bus operators have no real influence over traffic congestion, but they're also good at causing it. An expired 21 at the foot of John Dobson Street seemed to be causing chaos, with foremen from a nearby building site being left to manage 3-way traffic flow. They also can't do much about the Bigg Market, where there's a temporary traffic light, just down from what used to be the Pig and Whistle. That being said, it's complete and utter madness to continue to send buses through there, when they're sitting 20 minutes at a time.

If people don't have to put up with this rubbish, I don't know why they'd bother putting themselves through it.
See I think there should be more regulation with buses going NIS. They should pick up people to a certain point then go NIS and just do drop offs 

Also whats the service delivery centre trying to do by just leaving the issue, try and fix it get them, go via Grainger Street, then Collingswood St, then back on track over the High level bridge