North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2019 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2019 (/showthread.php?tid=2315)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2019 - streetdeckfan - 12 Oct 2019

(12 Oct 2019, 7:54 pm)ne14ne1

How come, they’ve been promoting these new buses as having NSAs?

X21 is advertised as having NSAs but hasn't since May

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2019 - Tom - 12 Oct 2019

(12 Oct 2019, 8:08 pm)OrangeArrow49 Any plans to put new buses on the Blue Arrow brand? I know the 11 is Little Coasters now, but maybe Toon Link or Blaydon Racer could be rebranded as Blue Arrow. Has Toon Link gone now? When are the X84/X85 going to be upgraded to Xlines? They could be rebranded as Tynedale Xlines and the 74 could become Tynedale Xlinks X74, combining express with community links to form Xlinks. Are the X84/X85 going to get TFT monitors or stick with the LED screens? Would be good to see NSAs introduced on the 74 as it runs between Hexham and Newcastle as the X84 does. I'd like GNE to run the X84 from Lemington Road Ends to Slatyford (Slatyford Lane/The Drive then Silver Lonnen/Netherby Drive) serve The Denton, then normal route. The NSAs should be updated to include serving Fenham on the X84/X85. Any plans for the Quaylink brand to be scrapped? Maybe bring Orbit back and have the 51 (instead of Q1 and Q2) and 52 (instead of Q3), or 51 and 52 instead of Q1 and Q2 and replace the Q3 with a new Xlines X3? Are there any more indiGo buses still to be repainted as Little Coasters?

What’s wrong with the Quaylink brand??

And rebranding the Q3 as X-lines is just ridiculous, it’s probably the slowest bus from Wallsend to Newcastle out of all stagecoach and GNE offerings.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2019 - Adtrainsam - 12 Oct 2019

Why would you rebrand the Q3 as Xlines? The limited stop section between Gosforth and Newcastle is the only express part of the route.

Also, don’t think it’s likely that 74 will be rebranded as Xlines. The current frequency is adaquete for a service like the 74 and doesn’t carry enough passengers for GNE to be putting more money into.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2019 - ne14ne1 - 12 Oct 2019

(12 Oct 2019, 8:11 pm)streetdeckfan X21 is advertised as having NSAs but hasn't since May

Not good at all.

NSAs shouldn’t be seen as a nice added extra like wireless charging, leather seats or blue accent lighting.

NSAs should be an essential/high priority feature to ensure is up to date and functioning correctly if you’ve advertised that route as featuring them. NSAs enable blind and partially sighted people to travel independently and with confidence. Spending money on people coming up with new route names and colours etc does not.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2019 - OrangeArrow49 - 12 Oct 2019

(12 Oct 2019, 8:36 pm)Adtrainsam

Why would you rebrand the Q3 as Xlines? The limited stop section between Gosforth and Newcastle is the only express part of the route.

Also, don’t think it’s likely that 74 will be rebranded as Xlines. The current frequency is adaquete for a service like the 74 and doesn’t carry enough passengers for GNE to be putting more money into.

To clarify, the X3 would run limited stop between Regent Centre and Newcastle then limited stop from Quayside to Wallsend.

The 74 could go back to a two-hour frequency, it provides a vital service for many communities, hopefully it at least stays in existence! My Xlines logic was that it takes a similar amount of time as the X84, and it doesn't need to be frequent to be Xlines.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2019 - streetdeckfan - 12 Oct 2019

(12 Oct 2019, 8:38 pm)ne14ne1

Not good at all.

NSAs shouldn’t be seen as a nice added extra like wireless charging, leather seats or blue accent lighting.

NSAs should be an essential/high priority feature to ensure is up to date and functioning correctly if you’ve advertised that route as featuring them. NSAs enable blind and partially sighted people to travel independently and with confidence. Spending money on people coming up with new route names and colours etc does not.

I like NSAs when I'm travelling somewhere I don't know. The other day I had to go to Houghton and I was just listening for the stop Google Maps said I had to get off at.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2019 - OrangeArrow49 - 12 Oct 2019

(12 Oct 2019, 8:36 pm)Tom

What’s wrong with the Quaylink brand??

And rebranding the Q3 as X-lines is just ridiculous, it’s probably the slowest bus from Wallsend to Newcastle out of all stagecoach and GNE offerings.

Nothing wrong exactly with the Quaylink brand, it just seems old (it has been yellow and Quaylink branded since it was operated by Stagecoach) and irrelevant (the services go way beyond the Quayside now, unlike when the service was launched). I would keep a reference to it serving the Quayside, but give it a more general brand.

The Q3 is the slowest bus to Wallsend from Newcastle, and from Newcastle to Wallsend, but could be made express. The X45/X46/X47 are not particularly express services either really, but are going Xlines.

(12 Oct 2019, 9:01 pm)OrangeArrow49

Nothing wrong exactly with the Quaylink brand, it just seems old (it has been yellow and Quaylink branded since it was operated by Stagecoach) and irrelevant (the services go way beyond the Quayside now, unlike when the service was launched). I would keep a reference to it serving the Quayside, but give it a more general brand.

The Q3 is the slowest bus to Wallsend from Newcastle, and from Newcastle to Wallsend, but could be made express. The X45/X46/X47 are not particularly express services either really, but are going Xlines.

X45/46/47 were only made 'express' so they could be rebranded. I've said that from the start. The express part of the route is where very few people got on anyway so it's made bugger all difference.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2019 - BeachBoy99 - 12 Oct 2019

Just, no. Quaylink can stay as Quaylink.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2019 - Storx - 12 Oct 2019

Why on earth would you want to make the Q3 limited stop / express between Wallsend
and the Quayside. It's not designed for people going from Wallsend to
Newcastle... There's also enough express buses between the Regent Centre
and Newcastle.

Xlines = Long distance bus routes where people are on over 30 minutes connecting places imo. If you start doing local bus routes like the Quaylink then it's defeats the point of it and you'll just end up with Xlines being the 'Standard Service' and everything that isn't Xlines being the 'Rump Services'. It's basically what Arriva has done in Northumberland with everything being Max and Sapphire bar the minibus routes and the 35.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2019 - Dan - 12 Oct 2019

(12 Oct 2019, 7:54 pm)ne14ne1

How come, they’ve been promoting these new buses as having NSAs?

They should be working on all buses apart from 5495 (or they were on Thursday afternoon, before my holidays!)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2019 - S830OFT - 12 Oct 2019

(12 Oct 2019, 10:17 pm)Dan They should be working on all buses apart from 5495 (or they were on Thursday afternoon, before my holidays!)

5490 wasn't working today...

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2019 - BusLoverMum - 12 Oct 2019

Another post forgetting that bus routes are about more than the start and end points.

(12 Oct 2019, 11:26 pm)BusLoverMum

Another post forgetting that bus routes are about more than the start and end points.

I feel like I am being very personally attacked here. All I was saying is the Quaylink brand is not as relevant as when it was launched and the Quayside was the end point, and the brand could be freshened up a bit, still including the iconic yellow but a new, modern base colour to really get noticed again, not that a big yellow bus is unnoticeable and certainly being instantly recognizable and having an established brand is a good thing but the services have outgrown the brand in my opinion.

I am well aware buses are more than just the start and finish points, I regularly use GNE buses and certainly don't go from end to end (I rarely get the Q3 to Wallsend for example, and even less often from Gosforth), but for me Quaylink is outdated even if still relevant as the services are still about serving the Quayside and other places on route. My suggestion of making it limited stop as the X3 was to upgrade it to Xlines, but I can see making too many services Xlines dilutes the brand and removes the point of it, so that was a mistake. Sorry.

I would personally drop the Quaylink brand and give the services a more inclusive brand to highlight the many places it serves, but keep the Q prefix to highlight the origins of the services.

I am pleased the Q3 is commercially operated, and has a positive future in Great Park. I'd love to see it extended further, maybe to Kingston Park and other parts of Wallsend.

Just because many services already exist, more can be introduced.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2019 - Stanleyone - 13 Oct 2019

6122, 6124, 6125 and 6138 have returned to Consett for X30 (temporary till E400s arrive) 5481-4 (iirc) have left. 9076 is still present but for driver famil only prior to the E400s arrival.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2019 - Tyne_Traveller - 13 Oct 2019

(12 Oct 2019, 8:55 pm)OrangeArrow49

To clarify, the X3 would run limited stop between Regent Centre and Newcastle then limited stop from Quayside to Wallsend.

The 74 could go back to a two-hour frequency, it provides a vital service for many communities, hopefully it at least stays in existence! My Xlines logic was that it takes a similar amount of time as the X84, and it doesn't need to be frequent to be Xlines.

The X84 is nearly 20 minutes quicker. A low frequency route round the back roads of Matfen, Stamfordham and Ponteland hardly give rise to the notion of am Express route.

By using sections of dual carriageway on the A69 the X84 offsets the trip round Wylam, Ovingham and Ovington. Also, the X84 interworks with X85 so you have a half-hourly service from Newcastle.

The 74 is operated by GNE under contract to Northumberland County Council and they will decide the frequency of the service.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2019 - Michael - 13 Oct 2019

(13 Oct 2019, 8:36 am)Tyne_Traveller

The X84 is nearly 20 minutes quicker. A low frequency route round the back roads of Matfen, Stamfordham and Ponteland hardly give rise to the notion of am Express route.

By using sections of dual carriageway on the A69 the X84 offsets the trip round Wylam, Ovingham and Ovington. Also, the X84 interworks with X85 so you have a half-hourly service from Newcastle.

The 74 is operated by GNE under contract to Northumberland County Council and they will decide the frequency of the service.

Contracts coming up for renewal i think, sure it was mentioned a while back, be interesting to see if any changes are made to the Hexham contracts

(13 Oct 2019, 4:11 am)Stanleyone 6122, 6124, 6125 and 6138 have returned to Consett for X30 (temporary till E400s arrive) 5481-4 (iirc) have left. 9076 is still present but for driver famil only prior to the E400s arrival.

Where has 5481-4 gone?

6162 - 6166, any of them been repainted yet?, i rarely get to go out and about these days so never know anything!

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2019 - Dan - 13 Oct 2019

(12 Oct 2019, 10:28 pm)S830OFT

5490 wasn't working today...

5492 definitely works, having just seen a video of it on Facebook!

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2019 - xpm - 13 Oct 2019

As much as you personally 'like' a route - doesn't mean to say it should or has justification become an X-Lines or NSA route, we've had this same discussion several times on another thread., it just doesn't warrant the amount that it would cost to do this.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2019 - streetdeckfan - 13 Oct 2019

(13 Oct 2019, 11:45 am)xpm

As much as you personally 'like' a route - doesn't mean to say it should or has justification become an X-Lines or NSA route, we've had this same discussion several times on another thread., it just doesn't warrant the amount that it would cost to do this.

I would personally prefer individual route branding over having everything under one brand.

I thought Castles Express was an excellent brand but I can totally see why they chose to re-brand it to Xlines with it being the longest route (in terms of time, and length if you don't count the X9/X10 as one continuous route)

I'm honestly surprised that it isn't a condition of the contract that council contract routes must have NSA to make them more 'accessible'.

Plus, I'm fairly sure that advertising a bus service as having next stop announcements, but having them turned off for 6 months would technically be false advertisement, as is the case with the X21.

I wonder if the delay to putting the NSA back on the X21 has anything to do with the alleged extension to West Auckland that I've heard mentioned a few times recently